Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

chicago application

Application Sent - 04/03/08
Notice Date - 04/07/08
FP date- 05/01/08
Interview - ????????

Based on your experience, when can I expect to receive IL?

Notice Date - 04/07/08
FP date- 05/01/08
Interview - ????????

Based on your experience, when can I expect to receive IL?

Could be anyday now, but if you are similar with me then by the first week of July you should get the Interview Letter at the latest.
In my case distance between FP and IL is 2 months.

no oath letter yet. passed my interview on 5/22. anyone know when i might expect it? i moved after the interview and changed my address both with the IO after the interview and also online. i hope that's not a problem.

I received the IL today.

Notice Date - 04/07/08
FP date- 05/01/08
IL - 06/05/08
ID - 07/25/08

i had my interview on 4/16/08. i was told i passed and it would take 2 weeks for the oath letter. i still havent received my oath letter. its been 6 weeks. what should i do? my green card is expiring on 6/21/08. do i need to set an info pass appt. and get an extension stamp on my passport to be allowed to work from the time my green card expires and i become a citizen or can i continue to work on an expired green card knowing my file has been approved for oath.

I received the IL today.

Notice Date - 04/07/08
FP date- 05/01/08
IL - 06/05/08
ID - 07/25/08

COngratulation pattagreen!! You are the new RECORD Holder so far , distance from FP to IL is ONLY 6DAYS!!! Chicago DO is getting faster and faster in sending out Interview Letter these days.. enjoy :D:D

i had my interview on 4/16/08. i was told i passed and it would take 2 weeks for the oath letter. i still havent received my oath letter. its been 6 weeks. what should i do? my green card is expiring on 6/21/08. do i need to set an info pass appt. and get an extension stamp on my passport to be allowed to work from the time my green card expires and i become a citizen or can i continue to work on an expired green card knowing my file has been approved for oath.

Hi patentattorney,
IMHO just for the sake of safeside, I suggest you file the Permanent Residence Card renewal

this excerpt from USCIS website:
What Does the Law Say?

Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act provides that, "Every alien in the United States shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations." It also states, "Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him. Any alien who fails to comply with [these] provisions shall be guilty of a misdemeanor." The specific requirements and procedures for applying to renew an expiring permanent resident card are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR § 264.5.

Who Should Renew a Permanent Resident Card?

You should renew your permanent resident card if you are a permanent resident who was issued a Form I-551 valid for ten years, and that card is either expired or will expire within the next six months.

Please note: If you are a Conditional Resident and your status is expiring, these instructions do not pertain to you. You are to use Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) to apply to remove the conditions on your permanent resident status.

How Do I Apply to Renew My Permanent Resident Card?

If you are a lawful permanent resident whose ten-year I-551 has expired or will expire within the next six months, you may renew your card by filing an Form I-90.

A Form I-90 can be downloaded from this site, or ordered by calling the Forms request line at 1 (800) 870-3676, or by submitting a request on-line. After receiving Form I-90, read it carefully. Detailed information is provided in the instructions for the Form I-90.

Applicants may also file Form I-90 on-line using an Internet connection. Please see Introduction to E-Filing for more information

With that said, I think it is pretty hard to hedge the time Chicago DO will eventually send out your Oath Letter... and it is better you have proof that you are filing the renewal PR card assuming the worst case scenario your Oath Letter will not come by June 21st (the date your greencard expires).

Meanwhile, if you happen works downtown (Chicago) it won't hurt to schedule some time for Infopass during lunchtime.... just my 2cents...

no oath letter yet. passed my interview on 5/22. anyone know when i might expect it? i moved after the interview and changed my address both with the IO after the interview and also online. i hope that's not a problem.

Smee congratulation on passing your exam interview !!.... it looks like Chicago DO is getting FASTER in sending out Interview Letters but absolutely getting much SLOWER in sending Oath Letters... I just can speculate what's going on... no facts of particular reasoning though ...:confused::confused:

you are not the only one, for a moment last month some filers (such as pal70, ro0724, sankarnp and aresan) got their OL only less than 2 weeks after passing their ID. Then this month I start seeing more and MORE applicants (such as: chinorth, yourself smee, samrat999, famy122) claiming they haven't received OL yet even though they have passed the exam Interview and it has been well over 4 weeks....

Seems strange since I check andposted the oath courts schedule for June there are about 27 ceremonies and it should be able to accomodate the large Chicago applicant population unless I am totally wrong regarding the population. Say 200 people x 27 ceremonies = should be able to cater 5400 people everymonth... I can't figure out why it is slow :(

bottleneck in Chicago ???:eek::(

Last edited by a moderator:

There's no need to spend money and renew your GC during the naturalization process. If you need to travel outside the country, make an Infopass appointment and see if they are willing to stamp your passport or how you should proceed. Remember, your green card expires on 6/21/08, not your status as a legal resident and the rights that go along with it.

COngratulation pattagreen!! You are the new RECORD Holder so far , distance from FP to IL is ONLY 6DAYS!!! Chicago DO is getting faster and faster in sending out Interview Letter these days.. enjoy :D:D

Actually it is 37 days from FP to get the IL. You probably thought it is the same month. Wish it could have been 6 days:)

hi guys

iam also tense about my oath cross 5 weeks and not recived oath letter
i need a good advice for what i do go for infopass and ask whats going on my case just ask for what please give me good advice

if you pass exam and no objection and say recomanded for approval why is so late to send oath letter
????/:confused:

thanks, guys. i'll keep waiting and praying i guess. i really need my new passport, but what do you do?

hi all, got my oath letter for 6/19. hooray! do you know if you need a flight booking to get a passport?

hi all, got my oath letter for 6/19. hooray! do you know if you need a flight booking to get a passport?

Whohoooo!!! Congrats smee... !! You will be done by next week:D:D:D... regarding passport I think it will help you get expediated passport if you have itinerary on hand.
:D:D:D

One more to the waiting list

Nebraska - Chicago IL
N-400 Mailed - 07/27/07
Priority date - 07/30/07
Check cashed - 08/08/07
Receipt notice - 10/09/07
FP notice date – 10/12/07
FP appointment date -10/25/07 Done
Interview Letter 02/20/2008
Interview Date 04/24/2008 Interview Passed
Oath - 10/09/08

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi SMEE

I am also in the same spot, Interview on 06/24 and have tickets to India in Aug. How can I get passport and visa within 6 weeks, assuming I get OL soon after interview

Any advise ?

Thanks