Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Finally, my interview was done!

The questions were pretty simple and quick. The officer would just go thru your application and just ask you again on what was written on the application form you sent. They would then ask you to choose 1 out or 3 sentences printed on a piece of paper, to read out to them- as this would be the speaking portion of the test. After this, they would ask you to write a sentence on a piece of paper- as this would be the reading portion of the test. For the civics test, the officer would ask you 6-7 questions (I dont remember exactly how many questions were asked since the officer was going thru the questions quick, but I think it was 7, I only remember 5 of them).

The questions that I remembered are as follows:
1) What is the highest court int the United States?-- Supreme Court
2) What group of people was taken to America and sold as slaves?-- Africans
3) What is the name of the Vice President of the United States now?-- Joseph Biden
4) Why did the colonists fight the British?-- (there were 3 answers to this, I answered--> because of higher taxes)
5) How many amendments does the Constitution have? ---- 27

After this, the officer stamped on my application that indicated "approved", had me sign my photos on the side, and asked me if I wanted to change my name-- I answered no. The officer then asked me if I was ok to take my oath on the 9th of March-- on this I said yes. The officer then told me to wait by the check-in window after the interview and advised me not to go anywhere until I receive my oath letter, which would be handed out in the check-in window. The officer then concluded the interview and walked me back outside where I sat back close to the check-in window.

The interview itself was quick. I would say, it only took less than 5minutes for the whole interview. Waiting for the oath letter took a while for me though, as I was already out from the interview at around 8:10am or so, and got called by the check-in desk for my oath letter at around 9:30am.

I just want to share--- dont be late on your appointment. While I was waiting for my oath letter, I learned that the interviewing officers had already been assigned on who to interview and when prior to that day. My appointment was scheduled at 8:05am, and I arrived at around 8:03am on my watch. As soon as I checked in, I was called in for the interview. The whole thing is not a "first come, first served" basis, since I met people there that came in earlier than me, but still were waiting to be called since their appointment wasnt till 9:05am or so. I guess they do follow the appointed time/schedule printed on the letters, or somewhat close to it.

Congrats ! You waited almost 8 months between FP & IL. That requires lots of patience. Anyway, good that you finished the process. No more looking back at USCIS. Good luck.

Congrats acidmmsp! Been reading up on you while working through my process, happy to hear that things turned out great for you here. Congrats again...

Thanks balyan! I noticed that you're now working on your spouse's visa? I have to do the same as well. is there a thread here that you are following on this? just want to go in it since i'll be working on my spouse's visa soon. ;-)

Congrats ! You waited almost 8 months between FP & IL. That requires lots of patience. Anyway, good that you finished the process. No more looking back at USCIS. Good luck.

thanks spiderman03, yup its been a long wait for me. i also went the same route as you did---> wrote to the senator about my case. I dunno if that helped the process, and i guess we would never know for sure. how's your case going? i hope they're not giving you the 'runaround' again.

The best advise I got was from the Sticky - "How to Apply for a Green Card- Do it Yourself". This helped to prepare the documents and now am just waiting to complete an RFE for Birth Certificate. :(

Other than that... currently following up with progress with folks who submitted paperwork in Jan 2010 and Feb 2010 this year. Should give you a good benchmark there. Will see you around more then... :)

Ciao'

thanks spiderman03, yup its been a long wait for me. i also went the same route as you did---> wrote to the senator about my case. I dunno if that helped the process, and i guess we would never know for sure. how's your case going? i hope they're not giving you the 'runaround' again.

I am done using all venues available to get my case processed in a reasonable time frame. Now I am relying on the work ethics of the officials at Chicago DO to get this thing done. They received my A# file on 2/11/2010. The officer who interviewed me was nice and she told me that she will review my file as soon as she receives it. So, I am here just waiting for her to review it. It's already 3 weeks since the DO received the file but no communication until now. My letter to the IO was delivered yesterday. Let's see if it helps.

I am done using all venues available to get my case processed in a reasonable time frame. Now I am relying on the work ethics of the officials at Chicago DO to get this thing done. They received my A# file on 2/11/2010. The officer who interviewed me was nice and she told me that she will review my file as soon as she receives it. So, I am here just waiting for her to review it. It's already 3 weeks since the DO received the file but no communication until now. My letter to the IO was delivered yesterday. Let's see if it helps.

I hope you get yours done soon. It's already frustrating enough we wait longer than their published "processing times".

I am wondering how long it usually takes to receive interview letter
from Chicago. My parents have filed at the same time:

10/10/2009 - N-400 received
first fingerprints rejected
12/10/2009 - second fingerprints taken
For one of my parents, the second fingerprints were rejected as well.
When we called USCIS customer service, we got a letter that
the cases are in "interview queue". The online status still shows
"RFE" for some reason.

When should be expect to receive an interview letter? It is about
3 montsh since second fingerprints now.

We did get a yellow letter askign to bring state drivers licence.
But nothing more since then -- in fact, we did not even get a
letter about second fingerprint being rejected as such, but found
out about that after calling customer service.

A related question -- What is "LUD change" that some people talk about above?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am wondering how long it usually takes to receive interview letter
from Chicago. My parents have filed at the same time:

10/10/2009 - N-400 received
first fingerprints rejected
12/10/2009 - second fingerprints taken
For one of my parents, the second fingerprints were rejected as well.
When we called USCIS customer service, we got a letter that
the cases are in "interview queue". The online status still shows
"RFE" for some reason.

When should be expect to receive an interview letter? It is about
3 montsh since second fingerprints now.

We did get a yellow letter askign to bring state drivers licence.
But nothing more since then -- in fact, we did not even get a
letter about second fingerprint being rejected as such, but found
out about that after calling customer service.

A related question -- What is "LUD change" that some people talk about above?

nv2010, you may want to give a call to USCIS customer service, and request to talk with the IO/Supervisor. Let them know that it's more than 90 days and you are still waiting on the letter. The IO would be able to better advise you of the status.

LUD Change is simple the Last Update on your case as touched online. You can check the status of your application at the USCIS website by entering your application number. Check it and see of the latest update there...

As per the 800 number 2nd level officer I spoke today, my case was approved and oath letter mailed today. :) :). I will update once again after receiving the oath letter. Thank you.

As per the 800 number 2nd level officer I spoke today, my case was approved and oath letter mailed today. :) :). I will update once again after receiving the oath letter. Thank you.

Good to hear that they have approved the Case, so just the Oath.

Where's the party at?

Did my FP last Fri. I notice that some people got their yellow letter in 1 week and some got it in 4 weeks, when shall I expect to receive mine?

Ikhanafer,
Ref your query.There is no set date to receive YL. In my spouse case she received YL one week after FP. We both received Interview Letter after 4 weeks from FP. I finally received YL one week after receiving IL. I have seen reports where people have complained they never recd YL. Don't worry about YL. In Chicago it is normal to receive IL 4-6 weeks after FP. You should get yours by 04/12 to 04/20.

Finally, the interview is done. Oath on Tuesday.

Day 0: 12/10/2009 : N-400 fedexed to Phoenix
Day 1: 12/11/2009 : Priority Date
Day 9: 12/19/2009 : NOA Received
Day14: 12/24/2009: LUD change. RFE sent (FP)
Day40: 1/20/2010 : FP scheduled and done
Day41: 1/21/2010: Yelow letter recieved
Day60: 2/10/2010: Transfered to local office for interview
Day118:4/8/2010: Interview Date
Day123:4/13/2010: Oath Date

Finally, the interview is done. Oath on Tuesday.

Day 0: 12/10/2009 : N-400 fedexed to Phoenix
Day 1: 12/11/2009 : Priority Date
Day 9: 12/19/2009 : NOA Received
Day14: 12/24/2009: LUD change. RFE sent (FP)
Day40: 1/20/2010 : FP scheduled and done
Day41: 1/21/2010: Yelow letter recieved
Day60: 2/10/2010: Transfered to local office for interview
Day118:4/8/2010: Interview Date
Day123:4/13/2010: Oath Date

Congrats a1b2! I am dreaming of the day.

Hi,

Just received an e-mail "Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled....". Any idea when would I receive my interview letter?

LK

Hi,
I had my interview last week at Chicago DO and was informed right from the beginning that for some of us (on that day), name checks were not yet available due to a "computer glitch". Interview was complete and went well, signed all papers, photos, and was giving N652 with "decision can't be made". Officer told me once she gets those "checks" and if all is fine, I should receive a letter on the mail.

I was very disappointed to leave without approval since I thought my case was straight forward. Who knows now how long is going to take... Any other similar experience from Chicago DO? It would be good to know what my options are...thanks as always..

Same problem

Hi,
I had my interview last week at Chicago DO and was informed right from the beginning that for some of us (on that day), name checks were not yet available due to a "computer glitch". Interview was complete and went well, signed all papers, photos, and was giving N652 with "decision can't be made". Officer told me once she gets those "checks" and if all is fine, I should receive a letter on the mail.

I was very disappointed to leave without approval since I thought my case was straight forward. Who knows now how long is going to take... Any other similar experience from Chicago DO? It would be good to know what my options are...thanks as always..

Jchicago,

The two of us seem to be following the same pattern. I was told exactly the same thing. The officer told me, though, that she would call in two weeks to let me know that the name check was complete. My case is straigtforward too, and hence very frustrating to think that they could not have found this out earlier.

I will update here as soon as I hear anything. Please do the same. Let's hope this does not drag on.