Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

My time line. Considering other DO, Chicago seems to be slower

Day 0: 12/10/2009 : N-400 fedexed to Phoenix
Day 1: 12/11/2009 : Priority Date
Day 9: 12/19/2009 : NOA Received
Day14: 12/24/2009: LUD change. RFE sent (FP)
Day40: 1/20/2010 : FP scheduled and done
Day41: 1/21/2010: Yelow letter recieved
Day60: 2/10/2010: Transfered to local office for interview
Day118:4/8/2010: Interview Date
xx/xx/2010 : Oath Letter
xx/xx/2010 : Oath Date

ikhanafer, Same result for me. (Case not found). I saw in few other threads today that they could not find their receipt number either in tracking system. Hope they fix it soon.

Hi dm1,

FYI my case showed up in the online system on Feb 13. Now I can track it :) Also, I received an e-mail today (because I subscribed in the e-mail notification) that my FP mailed to me on Feb 17.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
ikhan, my receipt number also appeared in the system after a day or two. I haven't received the email about RFE/FP yet. May be tonight or next week.

Hi,

Just received my FP appointment letter. My appointment is not till 3 weeks from today :( at the USCIS Naperville Application Support Center. The letter states:

"PLEASE APPEAR AT THE BELOW APPLICATION SUPPORT CENTER AT THE APPOINTED DATE AND TIME TO HAVE YOUR FINGERPRINTS TAKEN. If you are unable to appear at this time, you may go on any following Wednesday at the same time noted below"

But I noticed lots of people in this thread just walking in into the support center. Is that possible before my appointed date? would that impact my application at all?

Regards,

Hi,

Just received my FP appointment letter. My appointment is not till 3 weeks from today :( at the USCIS Naperville Application Support Center. The letter states:

"PLEASE APPEAR AT THE BELOW APPLICATION SUPPORT CENTER AT THE APPOINTED DATE AND TIME TO HAVE YOUR FINGERPRINTS TAKEN. If you are unable to appear at this time, you may go on any following Wednesday at the same time noted below"

But I noticed lots of people in this thread just walking in into the support center. Is that possible before my appointed date? would that impact my application at all?

Regards,

I tried to walk in at the Naperville center and they refused to do the prints. I really don't think walk in appointment for fingerprinting will affect the processing time of the application.

I tried to walk in at the Naperville center and they refused to do the prints. I really don't think walk in appointment for fingerprinting will affect the processing time of the application.

When I had gone for my fingerprinting for N-400 (Norridge center), the attendant had mentioned that you can get your biometrics done by walk-in, but they would send it prior to due date. The FBI update happened the day after FP date. The walk-in would not affect the processing time for you, you should have your citizenship in and around the sametime as your peers (give or take a few days).

When I had gone for my fingerprinting for N-400 (Norridge center), the attendant had mentioned that you can get your biometrics done by walk-in, but they would send it prior to due date. The FBI update happened the day after FP date. The walk-in would not affect the processing time for you, you should have your citizenship in and around the sametime as your peers (give or take a few days).

Balyan & a1b2 thanks for the feedback.

I did try to walk-in today and they refused to take my fingerprint, although I was the only one in the support center (??). But in any case I think Balyan is right, because I called USCIS and they told me that I received this date because the Chicago DO is backed up and the only appointment I could get is in 3 weeks. So the FP appointment is based on the DO availability and not the (Naperville) Application Support Center availability.

Regards,

Update: I have also received the email saying that my "case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled". Let's see how much time it takes to get the letter.

Update: I have also received the email saying that my "case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled". Let's see how much time it takes to get the letter.

I also received email saying my cases transferred to local office and standard interview will be scheduled. Same for my spouse too
day 0 (12/26/09) N400 mailed
day 1 (12/27/09)Delivered
day 4 (12/30/09)NOA/PD/Cheque cashed
day 13 (1/08/10) RFE
day 14 (1/09/10) FP letter sent
Day 33 (1/28/10) FP done as per schedule
Day 40 (2/4/10) SPOUSE receives YL. No YL for me.
Day 61 (2/25/10) Both received email case transferred to local office for standard interview
day XX (X/XX/10) IL WAITING
Day xx (X/XX/10) ID

I also received email saying my cases transferred to local office and standard interview will be scheduled. Same for my spouse too
day 0 (12/26/09) N400 mailed
day 1 (12/27/09)Delivered
day 4 (12/30/09)NOA/PD/Cheque cashed
day 13 (1/08/10) RFE
day 14 (1/09/10) FP letter sent
Day 33 (1/28/10) FP done as per schedule
Day 40 (2/4/10) SPOUSE receives YL. No YL for me.
Day 61 (2/25/10) Both received email case transferred to local office for standard interview
day 63 (2/27/10) IL received for both
Day 106 (4/21/10) ID - same for both

IL received

Resident: 3/24/05
DO: Chicago, IL
(12/26/09): N-400 Mailed
(12/28/09): Delivered
(12/31/09): Check Cashed/Notice Action/PD
(1/08/10): Request for Evidence
(1/14/10): FP Letter
(1/15/10): FP Walk-in
(1/27/10): FP Original Date
(2/5/10): YL Received
(2/25/10): Transferred to Local office
(2/27/10): IL Received
(4/15/10): ID
(x/xx/10): Oath

Finally, my interview was done!

The questions were pretty simple and quick. The officer would just go thru your application and just ask you again on what was written on the application form you sent. They would then ask you to choose 1 out or 3 sentences printed on a piece of paper, to read out to them- as this would be the speaking portion of the test. After this, they would ask you to write a sentence on a piece of paper- as this would be the reading portion of the test. For the civics test, the officer would ask you 6-7 questions (I dont remember exactly how many questions were asked since the officer was going thru the questions quick, but I think it was 7, I only remember 5 of them).

The questions that I remembered are as follows:
1) What is the highest court int the United States?-- Supreme Court
2) What group of people was taken to America and sold as slaves?-- Africans
3) What is the name of the Vice President of the United States now?-- Joseph Biden
4) Why did the colonists fight the British?-- (there were 3 answers to this, I answered--> because of higher taxes)
5) How many amendments does the Constitution have? ---- 27

After this, the officer stamped on my application that indicated "approved", had me sign my photos on the side, and asked me if I wanted to change my name-- I answered no. The officer then asked me if I was ok to take my oath on the 9th of March-- on this I said yes. The officer then told me to wait by the check-in window after the interview and advised me not to go anywhere until I receive my oath letter, which would be handed out in the check-in window. The officer then concluded the interview and walked me back outside where I sat back close to the check-in window.

The interview itself was quick. I would say, it only took less than 5minutes for the whole interview. Waiting for the oath letter took a while for me though, as I was already out from the interview at around 8:10am or so, and got called by the check-in desk for my oath letter at around 9:30am.

I just want to share--- dont be late on your appointment. While I was waiting for my oath letter, I learned that the interviewing officers had already been assigned on who to interview and when prior to that day. My appointment was scheduled at 8:05am, and I arrived at around 8:03am on my watch. As soon as I checked in, I was called in for the interview. The whole thing is not a "first come, first served" basis, since I met people there that came in earlier than me, but still were waiting to be called since their appointment wasnt till 9:05am or so. I guess they do follow the appointed time/schedule printed on the letters, or somewhat close to it.

Congrats acidmmsp! Been reading up on you while working through my process, happy to hear that things turned out great for you here. Congrats again...