Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

My timeline for N400 is very much the same as others on this thread. I got interviewed a week back and passed i.e. recommended for oath. I was initially told that I can wait for the oath letter for next week and then the IO came outside to inform me that the oath letter will have to be sent in the mail and there was still some background check pending. I asked on how long this will take and the IO told me 2 weeks. However I am not sure if it will be 2 weeks as my GC was delayed by well over 2 yrs because of a name check issue.

N400 Submission - 12/09
FP - 02/10
Interview - 04/10
Oath Letter - Pending Background Check??

N400-NameCheck - If you can post more specific dates, it will help the users on this forum. Also, things were different two years ago. Hopefully, it will not take as long.

N400_NameCheck, but at least you get "recommendation for approval" while most of us have got "decision can't be made". That's different and I am not sure what it means. Hope we start to hear from CIS soon.

If the IO came back and said the background check is pending, I would not consider that as recommended for approval. May be the IO made a mistake. That's why I would like to know the specific dates. May be this happened on the first day when they came to know about this problem.

Yes, I think they must have made some mistake as the IO had to call me out after the interview to inform me that I cannot get my oath letter the same day. There were others that were interviewed on the same date that got the letter. I was interviewed 4/15 can't recall the other dates now. Does this help? Is this an issue with a specific interview date?

Yes, it looks like 4/15 was the first day based on JChicago's experience too. If you browse the earlier posts in this thread, you will know exactly why.

OK. So, what is the recommended plan of action here? Call the USCIS# & speak to IO 2 weeks from interview? Do they transfer you to an IO easliy, otherwise it will be a waste of time. I was thinking of an InfoPass appt. 1 month from the interview date.

N400_NameCheck, but at least you get "recommendation for approval" while most of us have got "decision can't be made". That's different and I am not sure what it means. Hope we start to hear from CIS soon.

Ordinarily, "recommended for approval" means that the applicant goes into the queue for oath. However, in this case it is fairly clear that for N400_NameCheck the IO marked the "recommended for approval" box by mistake, since the Name Check is not complete yet.

Ordinarily, "recommended for approval" means that the applicant goes into the queue for oath. However, in this case it is fairly clear that for N400_NameCheck the IO marked the "recommended for approval" box by mistake, since the Name Check is not complete yet.

Mine is similar to N400_NameCheck. Though i got Approved in N652 my IO Ms.Martinez did not schedule me for oath and said oath letter will come in 2 weeks. My wife got Decision cannot be made. May be some IO's are not aware which box to check.

Are you all applying for a name change? Is this a probable cause?
Do you all live in Chicago metro area or outside?

Are you all applying for a name change? Is this a probable cause?
Do you all live in Chicago metro area or outside?

We live in NW suburbs outside the metro area. Strange i applied for name change and the IO had all docs for same ready and asked me to sign that. She gave Approved letter. For my wife there is no name change yet she got Decision cannot be made.

We live in NW suburbs outside the metro area. Strange i applied for name change and the IO had all docs for same ready and asked me to sign that. She gave Approved letter. For my wife there is no name change yet she got Decision cannot be made.

I did apply for a name change & do live in the Chicago burbs but I don't think that is the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Passed interview today. Oath on May 6th.

Good luck to everyone waiting for their journey to end.
This forum has been a wonderful source of info and support

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Thanks. I hope everyone's experience is the same as yours. You either pass or fail at the interview with a valid reason. You pass, you get to take the oath as soon as possible. You fail, you are given a valid reason for that and can choose to go to immigration court if you feel you need to challenge the decision. Nobody likes to be in this in between can't make decision or give status, don't know how long, not sure why state of confusion.

Received oath letter for my wife and I. Oath is set for 05/04. I received two letters both at the same time, one from USCIS and one from the Chicago DO. The letter from Chicago DO was dated 04/23 and the one from USCIS was dated 04/27.

Congrats Ns_IL. No luck for us yet. I am just curious whether your case status has changed in the system or did you get email update or LUD Pls reply

Congrats Ns_IL. No luck for us yet. I am just curious whether your case status has changed in the system or did you get email update or LUD Pls reply

The online case status is pretty out dated. It is set to "Testing & Interview" indicating that I will be notified of the interview even 2 weeks after actually passing the interview.

I am not sure the status changes after the interview is done. If the status had changed, I would have received an email.

I am sure the problem is resolved now. Your letters must be on the way too.