Cherry Hill Processing Times for N400

Again, don't volunteer information if you are not asked. I came prepared with tax transcripts and IRS agreements because I owe them some money. I also had my NJ driving record abstract from DMV and ticket dispositions from the court. When I was stopped in 1997, the NJ State Police requested for me to get a breathalyser which I agreed and passed. The only thing I got was the speeding ticket but I wasn't sure whether this will show since I didn't recall if I was fingerprinted or not. The IO during the interview didn't ask me about the IRS so I didn't tell them about the money I owed IRS which I didn't know I did till after I filed my N-400. The only thing she asked me is if I was arrested or jailed which I said no. Others questions were just standard like, am I a communist, or do I practice polygamy, etc. etc. We know the answers to those. So again, just answer the questions she asks, no more, no less. Classic example I have seen in this forum on the way you handle Q/A is this: "If the IO asks you if you know the time; the answer is YES". Hope this helps.

Hello Everyone,

Today around 4 PM, I got my natuarlization certificate and become a citizen! My apt was at 12:30 PM and was called in around 1 and whole process took about 20 mins. went through my application and asked me whether I understand the Oath, etc.. Passed all 10 Questions. Then she asked me - Do you want to stay for the Oath cermony today and I said yes and got the notice and got out. 3:15 PM was Oath and left the building around 4 PM.

I applied for a name change and the officer told me if I split my firstname into two its a legal name change, but to change the last name its ok, so she asked me what do I want to do and I said I'll keep my firstname as it is, so she marked the name change - NO!

Sohaha, not sure this is the type you asked for, but I guess still you have a choice!

When I was waiting for the Oath, the officer came out and asked other lady to get two photos, asked her to goto the nearby mall and get it asap.

Good luck all of you waiting!

Hello Everyone,

I applied for a name change and the officer told me if I split my firstname into two its a legal name change, but to change the last name its ok, so she asked me what do I want to do and I said I'll keep my firstname as it is, so she marked the name change - NO!

Sohaha, not sure this is the type you asked for, but I guess still you have a choice!

Thanks browny! You answered what I was looking for - can a name change request be withdrawn during the interview.

Good luck all of you waiting!

Congratulations to you!
Sohaha

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Hi All,

About 13 years back I received a ticket for driving at 85 mph while the posted speed was 60 mph. I cut a check for $250 and mailed it to the address found behind the ticket. Never bothered to retain a copy of the check nor record of it. That happened when I was driving from Boston to Chicago. The ticketing was done somewhere between Ohio / Pennsylvania and I don't remember the place.

I contacted PA DMV to obtain my driving record but they did not find me in their system but asked me to check with MA since I had a MA driving license. MA informed me that they do not have any negative records on me. Is there a central authority where I can buy my driving records of all states that matter to me?

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thanks,

Sohaha

First question: Did you put that on your N400? If not, then say nothing unless you are asked specifically about traffic tickets. Again, she only asked me if I was arrested or jailed to which I answered no. I DID NOT volunteer about traffic tickets.

If you did put that in the N400 and she asks you about it let her know simply what you just said. Also, aside from the interview notice, you will get another page of what docs to bring. In there it says no need to bring any paperwork if traffic fine is not over $500. Still, I suggest to get an abstract of your NJ driving record which you can obtain for $10.00 if you still have time. It takes about 10 days.

Perhaps those who just became US citizens can share their experience with respect to this.

Sohaha,

I thought there was a statute of limitation on traffic tickets. There may be no record anywhere for your 13 year old paid ticket.

I just want to provide my experience with interview at Cherry Hill office:

1. My appointment was at 8:40, reached there at 8:20 AM
2. Went through security check and then inside deposited my appointment letter in the check-in window and sat in waiting area. They called me in at around 9 AM
3. Lady asked me to swear to tell the truth, which of course I did
4. She asked me for Passport, Green Card and Driving License
5. She asked me several yes/no questions from N400 form (I recommend all applicants to go through the form before interview. Make sure you answer yes or no exactly same as application form. Avoid answering anything more than yes or no for these yes/no questions.)
6. She asked me to write a sentence " I bought a blue car today"
7. She asked me 10 questions all of them were from 96 questions book. I answered all of them correctly. I know because she showed me the form and asked me to sign on it. It seems, to pass you must answer 6 or more questions correctly.

She informed me that they are short on staff and oath will not take place today, instead they will send me a letter inviting me for the oath.

It worked out better because I did not wanted to wait very long time.

I was out of there by 9:25 AM.

Now I am waiting for oath invitation letter.

Thank you all for your help and Good luck.

Congrats to both browny and rakesh14!!
Let us know when u get oath rakesh14!
Did they keep or give u back passport? Are you doing dual citizenship?
Thanks

Thanks for your feedback

UnixtmUSA, kab901 & michaelde,

Thanks for your feedback on the DMV records. I could use it and it's handy. Appreciate it.

Sohaha

Interview Questions

Hi All,

During FP I was given a CD which I have yet to peruse, but I believe it has the 100 questions that's asked during the interview. Recently, I remember reading that there may be additional questions or changed questions.

Did you come across anything such or hear about it? If you are in line for the interview, where are you looking up the interview questions? Do you have an updated list of questions or a site where you can get them?

Thanks again.

Sohaha

Sohaha, i found this on the web...

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) plans to conduct a pilot test of 142 questions on U.S. history and government designed to replace the set of questions currently used as part of the citizenship test. USCIS will administer the pilot test to about 6,000 volunteer citizenship applicants in 10 cities beginning in early 2007.

The pilot program will allow USCIS to work out any problems and refine the test before it is fully implemented nationwide in the spring of 2008.

During the trial period, volunteer applicants who choose to take the pilot test can immediately take the current test if they incorrectly answer a pilot question. To pass, applicants will have to correctly answer six of 10 selected questions. The 10 pilot test sites are: Albany, NY; Boston, MA; Charleston, SC; Denver, CO; El Paso, TX; Kansas City, MO; Miami, FL; San Antonio, TX; Tucson, AZ; and Yakima, WA.

UnixtmUSA

UNIXTMUSA, I have noticed that you moved during the N-400 process. Did you walk into the Cherry Hill office for address change or just file AR-11 and call USCIS?

After you make the changes, did they mail the IL to your new address?

Hello, does anyone know how to keep your old citizenship (Dual).
Do you have to give up your old passport at the interview? Do you tell
them at the interview? I am not sure how that all works. Thanks

100 Questions

Thanks USA5000. Good to know that we need to cram up only 100 answers!

south nj - I am also waiting anxiously but my PD is Aug 9. I'll follow you. Pls keep posted of new developments. Thx.

sohaha

south nj, i called the 1-800 number to change my address. this was way before i got my interview letter. i was on hold for a bit but the lady was very helpful. she actually told me if i wanted to do an ar-11 with her on the phone so i wouldn't need to bother sending it to kentucky. also, i moved just 5 minutes from where i was at so my DO didn't change. hope this helps.

Received IL Today - 4-12-2007

south nj,

Great news! Me and my wife received our Interview Letter (IL) today and scheduled to appear on May 22, 07.

I guess you must have also received or it must be on its way. Good luck.

It has come at a very timely manner and I am greatly relieved. I desperately needed to move out of NJ and this was a big obstacle. Fact is I didn't care nor rush to apply earlier. I had delayed filing the petition by nearly 3 years after reaching eligibility. Now it means the world to me.

Well as I read the book "Tough times never last but tough people do" I always go by that belief plus that sun will shine on everybody periodically.

Sohaha
PD: Aug 9, 06
FP: A month later (don't remember, and did not call up FBI to check the result).

Last edited by a moderator: