Chennai Jan/Feb 2005 Interview

Ghat72,

Do you what were the contents? When did u send the email to mail it to your Chennai Address?

I would appreciate u r reply.

Name Check - Reg

CP Gurus,

I want opinion on the time line for name check. Normally how long does it take to complete the name check process. Has anybody heard about it/went through it recently?

I would greatly appreciate your replies.

kovaiGC said:
Ghat72,

Do you what were the contents? When did u send the email to mail it to your Chennai Address?

I would appreciate u r reply.

KovaiGC,

I mailed to ChennaiIV almost 15 days back. 10 days after my case was sent to the Consulate.

Ghat72.

CP Completed

Folks,
Today was my interview at the consulate...My appt was at 9, we were let in exactly at 9...had to wait till 11 before the desi lady called and collected the docs...After another 45 mins or so, an American officer called me, took fingerprints, asked a couple of routine questions and told me my visa was approved. Waiting to enter the US this weekend..Thanks to everyone who posted valuable info on this forum. And thanks to each one of you who painfully took the time to email back my queries...CP is the way to go, its simple & hassle free if u have all the docs in place...Good luck to all who are waiting for their turn at the consulate. Stay cool. :)

DinZ10

CP Interview done

Thanks a lot to all the folks on this forum for helping. Our GC interview process went through hassle free. Was in at 9.00 and out at 11.00 or so. Waiting for the visa/passports to come in the courier and we are all set.

m160.

Congrats DinZ10! Good Luck on your POE.

Regarding Tax documents for past 3 years, What did the Indian officer collect? Tax Returns/Transcripts/W2's.
How many paystubs did you submit?
Were you able to complete the labtests and medicals the same day?

I would appreciate your answers.

Congrats M160. Good Luck on your POE. I have posted some questions for Dinz10, I would appreciate u r thoughts as well.

Immigration Photographs in chennai--Please help

Could some one let me know the name of the photo studio and address in chennai?

Thanks

Succesful CP interview

I had a pretty easy and smooth interview on Jan 11. We got the passports with the sealed envelopes the next day.
Went to consulate around 7.30 am. There was a 20-30 min wait outside and then we were allowed into the waiting area. Our names were called in about 30-40 mins by an Indian officer. He took the documents-DS230 part1 and part2, photocopy of birth cert., photocopy of marriage cert., employment letter, 3 yrs tax returns, affidavit of support for wife.
We waited for another 30 mins and an American officer called us. Just some general questions and asked us to wait. Called back in 10-15 mins, took our fingerprints and told us it was approved, we'll get our passports by courier.
That's it! Very quick and simple.

Some things that may be useful for future interviewees:
a. Only plastic bags are allowed for carrying the files. I had a small document bag (not plastic) with only files, but they were adamant and would not allow it in. There is a nearby tea-stall who will do the safekeeping and has a token system to keep track. He charged me Rs.30/- which is exorbitant by Indian standards, the guy there told me it was because he had to pass the cuts to Police and the Group4 security personnel at Consulate!
Food items, cosmetics, electronics (cellphones, cameras), even waterbottles are also not allowed so don't carry anything other than your files.

b. Lister labs seems to have many branches in Chennai-it may be possible to get the tests there as well. I don't know this for sure but there were 2 branches on the same street in nungambakkam and both seemed to provide the service.

c. An older couple who were sitting next to us told us they got stuck with a bill for Rs 9000/- by Dr. Mathai Thomas, who administered a whole host of vaccinations! Of course, I have no knowledge of whether they were required or not but it struck me as very odd.

Hopefully we'll have an easy time at the POE (Chicago)
Thanks to all the people on the forum for sharing their experiences, its certainly been a great help.

Has anyone going for a Feb. interview setup the medical examinations ?
My understanding is that Lister labs doesn't take appointments and you just have to show up there early in the morning.
What about the doctor's exam ? Should we call them (Dr. Vijaylakshmi, Dr. Thomas, Dr. John etc.) from here and schedule something ?
Are there any recommendations on which doctor to go to ?

Answers

KovaiGC & others,

I took my w-2s & Federal 1040s for the last 3 years. Also, I had not received my tax transcripts from the IRS till the time I left, so I had called and explained my case & had them fax the transcipt to me. It was one plain sheet having a tabular format for 2001,02 & 03. Plus 2 or 3 sheets for W-2 transcript copy. I even took the fax cover sheet. Federal 1040s are enough - but I did submit my state copies too. I had saved my portion of all W-2s. So i took both the originals as well as a photocopy. I submitted the photocopy. She didnt even ask for the original.

For the Birth certificate & paystubs, take originals & a copy. She will check the original, take the copy & give back the original.DONT FORGET TO TAKE BACK THE ORIGINAL.

Last 6 paystubs must be enough. I took originals & copies for last 12 months. I think she just checked my last 6. As I said before, she returned my original stubs.

A warning - Dont take any leather bags, CELLPHONES, snacks or drinks. They are ruthless.Nothing goes thru them. Only see-thru files will be advised. No sealed envelopes. Just take papers !!

Lister doesnt take appointments. Be there by 7.30. They start their stuff by 8. Results will be available for pickup by 5.30. If u have a doctor's appt after 5.30ish, maybe u can do the medicals & doctors' exam on the same day. But personally, I feel its a very close call. Schedule a doc exam the following day afternoon. Dr.V takes fone appointments - dunno about the rest.

Hope this helps....

DinZ

kumarj234 said:
what is the best hotel near by consulate?.Please help ....

If your budget permits the best and the closest would be 'The Park' . The room tariff is around Rs. 4500/ day. At a lower rate but still withing walking
distance is the 'Crystal Residency' (Ph# 282 91305). There could be several others!

In truth if you spend a little time on some search engine you will have multiple options. Since you can easily get around Chennai by Auto or Taxi, you don't really need to stay very close to the Consulate.

Raju

Dinz, Thanks for the useful info. How was the rate of approvals on the date of interview in Chennai? I believe it was all emp based cases that day.

Appreciate your reply..

Hi All,

My Inteerview Date is on Feb 23rd, i am planning to leave from here on feb 10th , do you it would be agood time and i am expecting P4 here is US , do you think i should be able to get p4 before that , i have asked my lawyer to send email to chennai consulate today and also have specified him to mention that i would be leaving on feb 10th .

pad80 said:
Hi All,

My Inteerview Date is on Feb 23rd, i am planning to leave from here on feb 10th , do you it would be agood time and i am expecting P4 here is US , do you think i should be able to get p4 before that , i have asked my lawyer to send email to chennai consulate today and also have specified him to mention that i would be leaving on feb 10th .

That would be time enough to receive the appointment letter in US.

Raju

Dr. Vijayalakshmi Phone Number?....

Hi All,

Any one has the Phone number / Contact Information for Dr. Vijaya Lakshmi?...

Sriram.