Charlotte, NC - N-400 Timeline

Oath Ceremony

Thank you for the info., Brian. A friend of mine had the oath ceremony on the same day as the interview, but that was about two years ago- in Charlotte. I was wondering whether they do it on the same day, now as well. Thank you again.

Where to file? Lawyer?

Hi guys,

I am new here and about to file for N400 later this year. I live in Raleigh.

Questions:
1. From this thread seems some of you filed N400 at Charlotte, From the USCIS site seems I need to file N400 to Texas center, can someone help me clarify this? (or after filing to Texas the file will be transfered to Charlotte?)

2. Based on your experience any lawyer needed for the filing (no complication for me)? if Yes, can you recomment a good lawyer for me?

Thanks!

Hi,

You file your main application through the Texas Service Center and then all the "work" is done at the District Office, which for applications from NC is the Charlotte office. You need to go to Charlotte for Biometrics, the Interview and finally the Oath. Lots of driving from Raleigh! (That's where I am as well).

As far as needing a lawyer I think unless you have some difficult circumstances or are from a country which has issues with name check stuff, then you might be fine without a lawyer. We are from Canada, did it all ourselves and had no issues, just lots of waiting.

Good Luck!
Brian

NCRTP said:
Hi guys,

I am new here and about to file for N400 later this year. I live in Raleigh.

Questions:
1. From this thread seems some of you filed N400 at Charlotte, From the USCIS site seems I need to file N400 to Texas center, can someone help me clarify this? (or after filing to Texas the file will be transfered to Charlotte?)

2. Based on your experience any lawyer needed for the filing (no complication for me)? if Yes, can you recomment a good lawyer for me?

Thanks!

As, Brian says, you have to send your N-400 application to the Texas Service Center. Charlotte is the district office and all your application information from TSC is sent to the Charlotte DO. They may be doing some work electroniclly,as well. Hope this is helpful to you. Good Luck.

N400 timeline for Charlotte based on recent experience

My wife and I had our citizenship interviews this morning, followed by the oath ceremony this afternoon. The process seems to be moving pretty fast at Charlotte. Here are some relevant dates for our application:

Application (N400) sent: Feb 13, 2006
Priority Date : Feb 21, 2006
Fingerprinting : Mar 30, 2006
Interview & Oath : Apr 26, 2006

Cheers!

Yikes - that's fast! I wish they had been that fast for me - mine took about 12 MONTHS compared to your 9-10 WEEKS! Looks like someone finally got moving in Charlotte!

BTW, congrats on becoming a citizen!

Cheers,
Brian

bsmk said:
My wife and I had our citizenship interviews this morning, followed by the oath ceremony this afternoon. The process seems to be moving pretty fast at Charlotte. Here are some relevant dates for our application:

Cheers!

What documents did they ask you to show them? How was the test? If you can elaborate a little bit on the interview and the oath ceremony, will be helpful. Thanks a bunch.

bsmk said:

Cheers!

Thanks Brian. We were indeed pleasantly surprised with the speed of events.

NC2006 --

We were only asked for another set of photographs as the originals were not according to the latest guidelines (standard passport size photos). The interview was very simple. The history/civics questions were very simple. There were five questions for me. I still remember four:

1. What is the capital of NC?
2. What is the minimum voting age?
3. Which government agency makes the laws?
4. Who was the President during the Civil War?

For English testing, I was asked to write the sentence: "I drive a blue car." I was also asked to read a simple sentence.

Finally, the interviewer went thru my application and verified all the basic information (name, current address, marital status, etc.). He also went over the series of the questions towards the end of form N-400 (for most people the answer is NO to all of these questions). That was pretty much it. The gentleman who interviewed me and my wife was very nice and made us feel comfortable during the interview.

We've been permanent residents since 11/98.

bsmk,
Thanks for the info. I have an interview in May for N-400. Just wanted to know what to expect at Charlotte. I don't have any complications regarding N-400.
Congratulations.

NC2006, what are your milestone details.
thanks

NC2006 said:
bsmk,
Thanks for the info. I have an interview in May for N-400. Just wanted to know what to expect at Charlotte. I don't have any complications regarding N-400.
Congratulations.

Interview postponed twice in Charlotte

Both my husband and I filed our N-400 on August 1, 2005.

In Marchm 2006, my husband received the invitation for interview in Charlotte for April 4, 2006. But a few days before the interview, he got a letter saying the interview has been postponed with no further details.

I received my invitation for interview in Charlotte for May 2, 2006. But last week I too received a letter saying it has been postponed.

Called the INS 1-800 number but they had no info. What is going on? Anybody had same experience?

One of my colleagues had a similar experience. He started the process in Nov 05. His interview was scheduled for Apr 10 and then cancelled. He hasn't heard anything from USCIS yet.

nalexeeva said:
Both my husband and I filed our N-400 on August 1, 2005.

In Marchm 2006, my husband received the invitation for interview in Charlotte for April 4, 2006. But a few days before the interview, he got a letter saying the interview has been postponed with no further details.

I received my invitation for interview in Charlotte for May 2, 2006. But last week I too received a letter saying it has been postponed.

Called the INS 1-800 number but they had no info. What is going on? Anybody had same experience?

Do they ask for driver's license during the interview? I moved from a different state and have not change the license to be North Carolina's.

DO-Charlotte
PD - 12/2x/2005
FD Apt -03/0x/2006
Interview Date : 05/1x/2006 <-- Updated

My spouse's letter has not come yet..

Interview Descheduled by INS

Hello,

We live in RTP, NC. Here are the details (for both me & my wife):

N-400 PD: Dec 12, 2005
FP done: Feb 09, 2006
Initial Interview date: May 12, 2006

On April 26, I received a letter from Charlotte DO. It stated that my interview has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, and they will advise me of any further action taken on this case, including any rescheduled interview information, under separate notice.

My wife didn't get any cancellation notice, however. Anyone else with similar experience? If so, how long normally someone has to wait?

Since I need to drive with my wife to Charlotte anyway, is it a good idea to schedule an appointment to speak to an immigration officer through InfoPass appointment scheduler on the uscis webpage? Does anyone have any experience with InfoPass?

Any comments welcome.

Regards..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they do ask for your driver's license during the interview, but I'm not sure it matters if you have a NC one. How long do you have before the interview? It should not take long to switch over to a NC license, so why not do it before the interview?

Cheers,
Brian

vlax said:
Do they ask for driver's license during the interview? I moved from a different state and have not change the license to be North Carolina's.

Brian,
Thanks. I don't have my interview date yet (PD March 1st). Am just being lazy - hate to spend 1/2 day going through the driving written test,etc. I guess I will go and get it switched.

All,
I have seen at the other thread where they provide an exhaustive list of about 10-15 interview docs. Are they really needed? What all documents did you take? Does the letter state what to bring?

Thanks
Sam

brian0 said:
Yes, they do ask for your driver's license during the interview, but I'm not sure it matters if you have a NC one. How long do you have before the interview? It should not take long to switch over to a NC license, so why not do it before the interview?

Cheers,
Brian

Documents needed for interview

vlax said:
All,
I have seen at the other thread where they provide an exhaustive list of about 10-15 interview docs. Are they really needed? What all documents did you take? Does the letter state what to bring?

Thanks
Sam

My sense is that for straightforward cases only the basic documents (passport, green card, and letter of interview) are needed. If they need any additional document to process your case, they'd ask you (I was asked to bring a new set of photos). Some people carry other documents just to play safe I guess.