Boston MA - N-400 TimeLine

rob waiter said:
do not be discouraged.
can you elaborate more on the 2 A problem? any reason for the 2 A?

Possible reasons (my guess) for the multiple A#:

F-1
OPT/EAD
H-1B
I-140
I-485 (withdrawn later)
Consular Processing

Interviewer said that it should be resolved in a month. Without this problem I would have gotten the April 11 oath date.

Hi Backroady --

As much as it sucks that you are temporarily stuck in the duplicate A file(s) problem - I think it's still better than being stuck in the name-check purgatory :rolleyes:

I hope you get the a-ok signal soon.

When you get a chacne - would you pls share your interview experience with the rest of us? What is the list of paperwork that you took w/ you? What's your timeline? As you can see - a few of us from Boston D.O. will be lining up for interviews in the near future.

Thx and once again - good luck!

N-400
======
Boston D.O.
02/13/06: PD
03/18/06: FP

There you go...........

The naturalization interview was completed successfully. But a decision cannot be made because there are one or more Alien number files out there that belong to me that need to be received by the Boston District Office and then closed out. These A# files need to be closed before they can give me an oath date for citizenship.

So I am going to watch my mailbox for an oath appointment.

I reached there at 6.50 a.m. The JFK federal building opens only at 7 a.m. So I waited till then. Then went through security and reached the USCIS section for naturalization. The guy took the appointment notice and asked if I had a lawyer with me– I said “No.” I was finally called at 8.15 a.m.

They had about 30 numbered rooms where Adjudicating Officers conduct interrogations ....... errrr....interviews. Before sitting down he told me to raise my right hand and swear that whatever I am going to say and represent in the interview is the truth etc. I said “Yes”.

Then he opened my file and looked over all the accumulated paperwork going back 8 to 10 years. He did a lot of paper re-arranging and then asked for my passport, green card, and driver’s license. He scanned the green card and that probably pulled up all my data like entries into the country etc. Then we started with the testing part of the interview. Some of the questions asked were – “What is the Executive branch of government?” “Who was the first president of the U.S.?” “Who is the current president of the U.S.?” “What is the Bill of Rights?” Who heads the executive branch of government?”

I got them all correct. He then asked me to read a sentence – “She bought ……..” I then had to write a sentence – “She needs to buy some new clothes” or something simple like that…. Don’t remember. That page then was entered into my file (handwriting sample for Big Brother???)

Finally he opened the N-400 form that I had submitted and then went over it in detail. He confirmed my current name and cross-checked them with the driver’s license and green card. He confirmed verbally that I wanted to change my name, made sure of the spelling of the new name. He then confirmed my Social Security number by making me look at the application page. I confirmed it. Then without letting me look at the page he asked me my birth date. He confirmed verbally my birth country and country of nationality. He asked me if I am married. He confirmed that I live at the address shown in the application and the phone number that I could be reached at.

He then went to page 3 and looked over the places I lived in the last 5 years. He must have made sure that I satisfied the time in district requirement at this point. He then asked me if I work at XXX, Inc.. He then asked if I had been outside the country in addition to the trip from last year. I said “No.” He confirmed that I am married to YYYYY and that we live together. He confirmed that YYYYYY is on ## visa status.

He then went to page 6 and asked whether I have ever claimed to be a U.S. citizen, if I had ever voted in the U.S. or registered to vote, asked me if I have been a member of a Communist party or a terrorist organization. I answered No, Never etc etc. He then asked me if I have ever been arrested, cited etc. I said “Yes” and pointed to the traffic tickets that I had listed. He asked me if I had paid them and if I had been to court. I said I contested the tickets in court and then gave him the receipt for the disposition of those tickets. He said he would keep the original and gave me a copy. Next he asked if I had a problem with alcohol – answered No, whether I had brought someone illegally into the country, whether I had been married to two people at the same time, ever been in deportation proceedings.

We then came to the "Yes" answered questions. He then asked me if I support the U.S. constitution and if I understand the Oath of Allegiance and asked me if I am willing to take the Oath of Allegiance. Next he asked me if I am willing to bear arms on behalf of the U.S.

He then made me sign my current name on section 13 and then asked me to print my new name and sign my new name in the section 14 of the N-400 and write the new name on the two photos.

He then said that a decision cannot be made because of the outstanding Alien file and said that I would not have to come in for another interview. He said that this should be resolved in a month and I will receive the oath letter in the mail. If there were no outstanding files, I would have got an oath date of April 11.

He then answered my questions on how and when to follow-up and then we thanked each other. He then walked me out and I was done!

PD 10/31/2005
FP 12/21/2005
Interview 3/9/2006
Oath?

I took all docs applicable to me from Johnny Cash's excellent post -
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=197782

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened...

What happened with those guys that their interview date got canceled? Any news?! Anybody else to share some info?
Peace out :cool:

Durres Special said:
What happened with those guys that their interview date got canceled? Any news?! Anybody else to share some info?
Peace out :cool:
No, no news. Still waiting for the reschedule notice.

just found my interview was also cancelled. it appears descheduling
has become epidemic in Boston based on what I have heard so far
from this forum,

onwards...

Hi Rob,

Do you know , when did u receive the cancellation notice . As my dates are almost 3 days apart from yours ( later ) and till now I haven't received the cancellation notice , so curious to know about it.

Thanks for your time

JUM_BOSTON

PD : Jan 2nd 2006
FP : Feb 7th 2006
Schedule Interview Date : April 10th 2006

Do we need to go through a lawer for Citizenship.

1) Do we need to go through a lawyer while applying for the citizenship.
2) How easy is it if we go through a lawer.
3) How difficult is it if we apply by ourselves.
4) What is the overall processing time for citizenship and getting passport.
5) Can I go to India immediately after applying.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may not be the right thread to post a string of questions unrelated to the topic of the original thread. But here's some quick answers:
csp111 said:
1) Do we need to go through a lawyer while applying for the citizenship.
You don't need a lawyer if your case is straight forward enough. By that I mean, no complications like past criminal records, questionable moral records, have maitained proper visa status throughout, etc.
csp111 said:
2) How easy is it if we go through a lawer.
Doesn't make a big difference if your record is straight. Besides, lawyers can screw up too. Best to know the process yourself.
csp111 said:
3) How difficult is it if we apply by ourselves.
You need to read up the USCIS website and browse the forums to learn more about the process and be more prepared.
csp111 said:
4) What is the overall processing time for citizenship and getting passport.
Hard to put a number. Depends on the current processing times. Things like these constantly change all the time. And that is without including the "name check" and such complications. But if the course is clear, a rough ball park would be 6-8 months or lesser.
csp111 said:
5) Can I go to India immediately after applying.
[/QUOTE]
You are an LPR until you take the oath. So all conditions to maintain the continuous residency as well as maintaining your LPR apply until then. Besides, the FP notice is sent out at a really short notice. Someone should be around to pick up the mail.

You need to read the forums.

Any...

...News from the people with canceled interview date? What about them with priority dates in end of December and January and interview dates in April? Have them heard any thing? :confused:

backroady said:
The naturalization interview was completed successfully. But a decision cannot be made because there are one or more Alien number files out there that belong to me that need to be received by the Boston District Office and then closed out. These A# files need to be closed before they can give me an oath date for citizenship.

So I am going to watch my mailbox for an oath appointment.

I reached there at 6.50 a.m. The JFK federal building opens only at 7 a.m. So I waited till then. Then went through security and reached the USCIS section for naturalization. The guy took the appointment notice and asked if I had a lawyer with me– I said “No.” I was finally called at 8.15 a.m.

They had about 30 numbered rooms where Adjudicating Officers conduct interrogations ....... errrr....interviews. Before sitting down he told me to raise my right hand and swear that whatever I am going to say and represent in the interview is the truth etc. I said “Yes”.

Then he opened my file and looked over all the accumulated paperwork going back 8 to 10 years. He did a lot of paper re-arranging and then asked for my passport, green card, and driver’s license. He scanned the green card and that probably pulled up all my data like entries into the country etc. Then we started with the testing part of the interview. Some of the questions asked were – “What is the Executive branch of government?” “Who was the first president of the U.S.?” “Who is the current president of the U.S.?” “What is the Bill of Rights?” Who heads the executive branch of government?”

I got them all correct. He then asked me to read a sentence – “She bought ……..” I then had to write a sentence – “She needs to buy some new clothes” or something simple like that…. Don’t remember. That page then was entered into my file (handwriting sample for Big Brother???)

Finally he opened the N-400 form that I had submitted and then went over it in detail. He confirmed my current name and cross-checked them with the driver’s license and green card. He confirmed verbally that I wanted to change my name, made sure of the spelling of the new name. He then confirmed my Social Security number by making me look at the application page. I confirmed it. Then without letting me look at the page he asked me my birth date. He confirmed verbally my birth country and country of nationality. He asked me if I am married. He confirmed that I live at the address shown in the application and the phone number that I could be reached at.

He then went to page 3 and looked over the places I lived in the last 5 years. He must have made sure that I satisfied the time in district requirement at this point. He then asked me if I work at XXX, Inc.. He then asked if I had been outside the country in addition to the trip from last year. I said “No.” He confirmed that I am married to YYYYY and that we live together. He confirmed that YYYYYY is on ## visa status.

He then went to page 6 and asked whether I have ever claimed to be a U.S. citizen, if I had ever voted in the U.S. or registered to vote, asked me if I have been a member of a Communist party or a terrorist organization. I answered No, Never etc etc. He then asked me if I have ever been arrested, cited etc. I said “Yes” and pointed to the traffic tickets that I had listed. He asked me if I had paid them and if I had been to court. I said I contested the tickets in court and then gave him the receipt for the disposition of those tickets. He said he would keep the original and gave me a copy. Next he asked if I had a problem with alcohol – answered No, whether I had brought someone illegally into the country, whether I had been married to two people at the same time, ever been in deportation proceedings.

We then came to the "Yes" answered questions. He then asked me if I support the U.S. constitution and if I understand the Oath of Allegiance and asked me if I am willing to take the Oath of Allegiance. Next he asked me if I am willing to bear arms on behalf of the U.S.

He then made me sign my current name on section 13 and then asked me to print my new name and sign my new name in the section 14 of the N-400 and write the new name on the two photos.

He then said that a decision cannot be made because of the outstanding Alien file and said that I would not have to come in for another interview. He said that this should be resolved in a month and I will receive the oath letter in the mail. If there were no outstanding files, I would have got an oath date of April 11.

He then answered my questions on how and when to follow-up and then we thanked each other. He then walked me out and I was done!

PD 10/31/2005
FP 12/21/2005
Interview 3/9/2006
Oath?

I took all docs applicable to me from Johnny Cash's excellent post -
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=197782
What is your interview appointment time? My interview is schedule at 9:30 am 5/1, Can anyone tell how is the traffic in Boston between 8:00am to 9:00am?