Boston MA - N-400 TimeLine

rob waiter said:
just found the INS rescheduled me. But the new date conflicts
with my travel. what my luck!

Hello Do you what is ur reschduled interview date ?

Thanks in advance

BostonJUM

Any updates from Boston DO applicants?

Dorres -- any signs of your Interview date yet?
Others who had their interview descheduled - any new dates (for interview :D )?

Thx and g/l

Mail date: 12/29/05 (thurs) via express mail.
check cleared: 1/5/06
notice priority date: 12/30/05
fp notice rec'd: 1/20/06
fp appt date: 2/4/06
interview notice rec'd: 2/23/06
interview date: 4/6/06...(descheduled)
new interview date: 5/15/06 (notice rec'd 3/28/06)

Pea ... ?

pea -- when did you receive interview cancellation notice? Do you remember? Just curious.

Congrats on getting the new date & g/l.

Does anyone know anything about the waiting list for the oath ceremony when you missed your first? I have been told I am now waiting for an appointment but that N-400 applicants currently getting oaths assigned have priority. Does anyone know anything about the frequency and process of assignment of oath dates for those who do not get the date right after their interview? Does this work on some priority date basis too?

I am getting worried I might have to wait forever. I had to have another background check and that one is good until March of 2007, but this seems like it's taking forever....(I was approved on Feb. 23, 2006).

Eagerforoath,

When was your interview completed and what was the specific outcome of the interview? Did the interviewer say something like decision cannot be made at this time?

EeagerforOath -- You said your interview was comleted 1/7/05 & background check on 2/23/06. So you had to wait a little over a year. Did you have to nudge & prod to get the check completed?

I'm in line for an interview next month curious and thinking about all possible outcomes.

Thx

My wife passed the interview today 4/12/06. Oath date: 5/10/06

So the complete time line for her is:
PD 01/09/2006 (mailed on 1/6/06 fedex)
FP 02/10/2006 (Recevied Jan 19/06)
Interview 04/12/2006 (received 2/23/06) Interview passed!
Oath ceremony 05/10/2006

Hi all,

My wife's N-400 application was based on marriage to a US citizen the complete story was as follows:

- I became a citizen on August 2002 (after 10 years as resident)
- We got married on 09/10/02
- We submitted the I-485 on 9/12/02
- She obtained the "2 year green card" on 04/09/03
- we submitted an I-751 on 01/09/05 (90 days before the two years)
- the I-751 was approved in May 2005 but the notice letter got lost!
- We secured a copy of the approval notice and went to the Boston Office to request the new card on November 06 2005.
- They gave her a stamp on her passport (IR6) which means the conditions on her residence based on marrying a citizen are now removed that was good for one year (As it turns out, the actual green card got lost several times! And just yesterday, we got it in the mail just in time for the interview! This was not that important as we had been told at Info Pass that the pasport stamp was enough for the Oath ceremony but receiving the plastic green card made my wife feel much better).

So back to the N-400 timeline again,

PD 01/09/2006 (mailed on 1/6/06 fedex) (note that 09/01 is 90 days before three years as a resident. SO we cut it as close to the law as we could!)
FP 02/10/2006 (Recevied Jan 19/06)
Interview 04/12/2006 (received 2/23/06) Passed details below.
Otah May 10, 2006.

What follows is a description of what went on in my wife's interview based on what she told me, along with some "free advice/pointers" that you should take at your own risk:

1) Do not waste any time studying other than the 100 questions, and the written English collection of simple sentences at the USCIS website. I can bet life that they do not ask questions outside these ones!

My wife was asked 5 of the 100 questions:
Who is the current president of the US; Who elects congress; What is the White House; What is the constitution; What are the duties of the supreme court. Then, the officer made her read a simple sentence from the everyday written sentences, and she had to write "She is happy with her house".

Despite my telling her that she would be fine, that they are not out to "get people", My wife was TERRIFIED about taking the interview. She has been in the US close to 6 years but she has never worked and never took a formal English class. She is a lazy but smart llady who did her learning of the language the old fashion American way (watching lots of TV with close captioning - English channels only!); as well as the the new Amerikan way: surfing the web long hours always trying to avoid sites in spanish.

She never worked and had very little contact with natives except friends who came home for dinner. However, she was never afraid of speaking! Her speech is not perfect, but compares well to that of friend who have been here longer. My op[inion is that as long as you understand most of what people tell you and you can make yourself be understood, even if making mistakes in your speach; then, if you religiously study the 100 question and the written sentenses you will pass the English and History requirement. They are not out to get people.

If you pass this portion of the interview, then you should be all set to go home as a citizen as most of the problems I have seen in this website have to do with a "yes" answer to a "no" question (for example, having a criminal record). There are ways in which your application may be delayed but since you have already read about those in this thread I will not elaborate.

2) Be very familiar with your application, read it several times and pracitice fake interviews with friends (These will be a lot harder than the actual interview.)

3) make sure you have the originals of all the documents requested in the interview letter and be ready to show them to the officer as well as offer him copies. For example, when the officer asked for her Green Card and passport, my wife offered: the new and old passport, the green card, the SS# and the Driver's License in a moments notice, as she had these ready for the first step of the interview. The officer was well impressed and said he only needed the GC and the current passport. Later in the interview she also had a chance to show our marriage license but the officer did not want to see the proof of my divorces nor the most recent tax return.

4) Have a copy of the application with you but do not open it if you don't really need to. (My wife never needed to open hers). In terms of questions about the application itself, she was asked her date of birth, she was also asked my name and her daughter's name (she has a dauther in Argentina) She then took the opportuinty to tell the officer a few things about myself and her daughter. This was a good show of her language skills in an area she can control and helped in "breaking the ice". He then asked her for any trips after the N-400 application was completed (She had three trips!) and she then gave him a neatly typed piece of paper that followed the format in the application. The idea here is to save the officer time. Type the stuff for him. Otherwise, he will have to do the work, and no one likes to do extra work they can avoid (most poeple bring the extra trips on paper).

He then asked her a few of the "No" questions and my wife answerd "no' to all of them, and a few of the yes questions.

He then told her she had become a citizen and made her sign the application and write her name in the fornt border of the photos.

In our way into the interview room, we noticed the Oath date being passed out was May 10; still, once she knew she had passed, my wife asked the officer if she could get an Oath date in May as we were traveling to Europe in June to attend a wedding.

5) Dress well (as if you are going to a job interview) Specially if you are male as most officers are male. If you are a lady with a nice figure you may be able to get away with wearing a pair of jeans but my recommendation is to dress formaly.

6) Try to sleep well the night before (take a sleeping pill if necessary). Don't do any studying the day of the interview. Just try to relax, just visualize the officer as a nice, friednly person who wants to help you get the US citizenship, not fail you.

Try to be in a positive mood/have a positive attitude (if you are religious, like my wife, do a bit of praying). In the interview, try to look at the officer in the eyes and show that you view him/her as a person/friend and not some kind of a cop. DO NOT SPEND THE WHOLE INTERVIEW LOOKING DOWN AT YOUR FOLDER/BROWSING YOUR FOLDER. This will do you no good.

Good luck to you all and God bless!

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the kind words.

I think the Boston office may have moved to one Oath ceremony per month instead of one every two months (I am just guessing it used used to be one ceremony every two months from reading the thread I don't know if my conclusion is correct but I was expecting my wife to get an Oath date in June so we were very pleased to get it in less than a month!).

I believe they may have moved to 1 Oath ceremony per month because the security guard at room 170 told me they had had an Oath ceremony a couple of days ago (so it was on 4/10 or 4/11). So it looks like they are having one ceremony per moth around the 10th of the month but I am not 100% certain about this.

Suceesful Interview

Hi ,
This is update from my side :

We ( myself and my wife ) had interview on April 15th 2006.
We cleared the interview and got oath date on May 10th .
Almost all the people who were interviewed got the same date.

I thought my case bit difficult because of overseas travel .
I applied for N400 when I was about to go for overseas and
travelled back for few days for fingerprinting and Interview.
( 90 % of time between RP and interview was spent outside country ).

They did asked question about it , but they were satisfied as none of trip
was more than six month.

Good preparation helps , as Interview Officer was quite impressed by it.
She did not take more than 4 mins for interview , no document review.
She did crosschecked dates in the passport, and one year tax return .
Otherwise nothing else.

This forum helped me lot . And Best of luck to everyone

Thanks

boston_jum