Big Brother is coming. Green card holders will be fingerprinted every time you enter the country

thankful

Registered Users (C)
Effective January 18th, green card holders will be fingerprinted and photographed when they enter the United States by air.

An administration that is on its way out still does not want to give up.

AILA has issued the following statement in response:

A bedrock principle of our society is freedom from government intrusion without reason. The sole reason permanent residents will be singled out for data collection is the fact that they are not yet United States citizens. Without any reason to suspect wrongdoing, the U.S. Government will now collect biometric data from lawful permanent residents each time they enter the United States; privacy is now extinct. The expansion of this unproven program is premature. The proposed implementation strategy requires a far more detailed assessment of the costs of implementation and ongoing administration. The impact on the free flow of international travel and trade especially in this current time of economic upheaval has not even been assessed. This new rule will only harm the U.S. economy even more, and lead to lost productivity, competition, and jobs.

Government will now collect biometric data from lawful permanent residents each time they enter the United States; privacy is now extinct.
Exactly how does this impact privacy? The GC check already gives away that you are traveling. How does a biometric check further impact privacy?
The expansion of this unproven program is premature.
Exactly what part of the program is unproven? That fingerprints are unique identifiers? Or that fingerprints can be recorded using a fingerprint scanner?
The impact on the free flow of international travel and trade especially in this current time of economic upheaval has not even been assessed.
Huh?!?! How will this program impact free flow of international travel? Any travel that wouldn't take place because this program shouldn't take place at all. I don't want to share a plane with anybody who has reason to hide the fact that he is traveling from the US government.

Wd

This is screwed up... one less reason to be more patriotic once you become a citizen. So they are telling us that Canadian citizens are going to pass through with respect and they will make dogs out of GC holders who pay more taxes than an average American in most cases..

What a shame.. Makes me think of moving to Canada or some other country where you ca get some respect.

On another note, if this way of thinking continues, a day is not far ahead when they would even ask US Citizens to form two lines;

one natural born US citizens,

second foreign born US citizens.

this country might not be too far away to implement something like this; and guess what sympathy would natural born US citizens would have with foreign born US citizens?

This is screwed up... one less reason to be more patriotic once you become a citizen. So they are telling us that Canadian citizens are going to pass through with respect and they will make dogs out of GC holders who pay more taxes than an average American in most cases..

What a shame.. Makes me think of moving to Canada or some other country where you ca get some respect.

They could have left this issue for Obama's people to decide. There was no urgency to issue this new rule.

I think no one has commented on this because it is a non-issue. Yes this is more intrusion, but you must already present a valid passport that may be examined for any recent travel. But I'm not sure exactly what they think this is going to accomplish. I mean, I don't know what the fingerprint is going to be used for. Are they attempting to find greencard holders who are actually residing overseas? There really can't be enough of these types of people to justify the expense of this system. Or maybe LPRs with criminal convictions who have left the country? Again, cannot be that common.

Anyway, using the new system only at airports makes no sense. If I'm a criminal attempting to reenter the U.S. or a terrorist attempting to use someone else's passport I'd just fly to Mexico and take a bus over the border.

If I had to guess the real reason they want to implement this system, I would guess that they want to bust Indian and Chinese LPRs who have moved back to their country for business reasons and occasionally come back to the U.S. using their LPR status. Seems like an unneccessary expense to catch such a limited number of people who are just going about their business.

well everyone on this forum seems to be OK to be fingerprinted and photographed like criminals.

Good for all of you guys!

I think no one has commented on this because it is a non-issue.

Non-issue?? Are you kidding senowen? Imagine if govt. accounces that every US citizen will be fingerprinted and photographed at the port of entry! Can you guess how American public would respond?

We have to get fingerprinted and Photograph for RTD everytime we apply for one. I personally don't like it but at least I can travel and come back to the country without worries....

Frankly i don't care if they photograph me, though, I doubt it makes us safer. But my main concern is a longer line after the overseas flight. It is so annoying!
Is ther any chance that the Obama administration can abolish this new regulation?

Last edited by a moderator:
well everyone on this forum seems to be OK to be fingerprinted and photographed like criminals.

Good for all of you guys!

I dont like it at all..sucks!!! However for ppl who are sent to secondary for more inspection.its good news right? No more secondary. if they cnt verify your identity by fp & photographs then its screwed up

Last edited by a moderator:

Lazer,

Things are really changing here, I agree with you.

People is losing their houses, Health system is a mess, Retirement funds gone, No jobs, GC holders fingerprinted as criminals, this is definately a different country than the one that I was dreaming when I decided to start a new life. What can we do??? Is a shame.

Lazer,

People is losing their houses, Health system is a mess, Retirement funds gone, No jobs, GC holders fingerprinted as criminals, this is definately a different country than the one that I was dreaming when I decided to start a new life. What can we do??? Is a shame.

For one, you can wait to be a citizen and VOTE.

And other, you can look for a better job overseas within the same company you're with and wait.

No miracles posible on this one. This economic situation got really nasty and complicated.

Lazer,

I dont think situation is as extreme as you put it. FPs like criminals? I dont think like that. I agree fp'ing gc holders is stupid but hey you should know that under bush everything was stupid..hopefully Obama can change things.