**** Bad DL renewal expereince at NJ ***

It was not my intention to participate in this thread,
but somebody has to put an end to the NJ bashing.

I've been living in NJ for almost 10 years now and can't think of a better place to live.

If you are paying $5500 in insurance, you got to go check your driving record.
I have 2 cars & pay only $1100.

If you are living in "tiny dirty holes", then you are living in the side of the world.
NJ provides a spectrum from mass to class.
If you are paying "sky-high prices", you got to go read "Real Estate for Dummies".

All the NJ complainers, I wonder what made you come & live in this "ugly" state.
NJ will be better off without people like you here.

Live well & prosper.

ind15,
one of 9 million NewJersian.

I couldnt stop

Hello All,
I am not going to bash or praise NJ. I dont have a choice, since I work NJ, for me the most convenient place to live is NJ.

Regarding NJ DMV experience. I had both types of experience. Last year when I went to the regional DMV for my wife. The experience I had was horrible. I was at the DMV before 8AM. The immigration line was worst. The lady who was checking the immigration related document was so rude. After I replied to her questions, she asked me to go out since I was not the one who is getting the license.

Even though my wife had international DL, they made her take the written exam, road test. First, the lady at the cashier counter, didnt even bothered to look at her Internation DL. So she blindly sent us to take the written test. And the officer at the Test location, was so rude, he said, even though the law allows to get driver license directly if you have a internationl driver license, he is not gonna give. Because he gave it to one of the immigrant like this, and that fellow met with an accident and died. So he is not gonna give it to my wife.

So we left the Trenton at 3:30PM

After taking the raod test and everything they gave the license till her EAD expired.

Last saturday we went to Trenton DMV, to my surprise this time it was so smooth, I was really surprised. We reached DMV at 7:30 AM, they opened at 8:00AM and we were out by 8:45AM.

Overall my experience was HORRIBLE.

Just wanted to share my exp

Thanks
Sudhi

I heard this from my friend

My friend's wife who obtained GC recently through marriage (my friend is a US citizen) went to Wayne DMV to get her license. It seems the lady at the counter looked at her passport and noticed that the I-551 stamp did not have the "A" in the alien number. So she immediately accused my friend and his wife of falsifying documents and asked them to leave.

But I went to renew my license recently and I was done with it before you could say Jack Thompson Down Under.

To Rajiv

I have this question: IF those at the MVC/DMV suspect a fraud or forgery, why do they scream at the applicants (as reported in this thread) and ask them to leave? Aren't they supposed to take action by reporting the matter to INS or other authorities?

Also, would it be possible for you to list out a few basic rights of AOS people and GC holders so they can better handle the situation? For instance...
1. Do you think we should stand up to them and ask them to go ahead and call the INS?
2. Do local police have jurisdiction over matters such as this?
3. If they (try to) confiscate our passport (DMV or local police), let's say, without a proper judicial order, are there any sovereignity rules that apply since technically passports belong to the issuing authority/state/nation?

Thanks in advance.

Re: To Rajiv

Originally posted by WheresMahGreen
I have this question: IF those at the MVC/DMV suspect a fraud or forgery, why do they scream at the applicants (as reported in this thread) and ask them to leave? Aren't they supposed to take action by reporting the matter to INS or other authorities?

Also, would it be possible for you to list out a few basic rights of AOS people and GC holders so they can better handle the situation? For instance...
1. Do you think we should stand up to them and ask them to go ahead and call the INS?
3. If they (try to) confiscate our passport (DMV or local police), let's say, without a proper judicial order, are there any sovereignity rules that apply since technically passports belong to the issuing authority/state/nation?

Thanks in advance.

++++++++++++++++Oh yes. Be firm (but not offensive).

+++++++++++++++++These days, yes.

+++++++++++++++++++++They cannot take away your passport. As far as I know, that is the property of your country.

Guys,

I had a pretty bad experience in NJ too. I moved from PA to NJ recently . I had a DL till 2006 in PA . Initially I went to the DMV in Randolph and after 1/2 hr the lady asked me to go to Wayne because of my status. So another day (again after taking time off from work ) I went to Wayne , waited for 15 min. and was sent back because I forgot my SSN Card. Third time I went, got all the docs verified and got the card for me to take the written test. I had to go back because I was already very late for work. Another day , after passing the test at the Dover DMV, I was asked to go back to Wayne DMV to get the DL. 4th time at Wayne, I finally got my DL after 1/2 a day wasted & the expiry date was my I-94 expiry which is Sep 2004. They dont give a f..k about the fact that I had a perfectly valid PA license till 2006 and perfect driving record.

I had to go back once more to get the registration changed. The lady took one look at my original car title and said it is not valid because the signature does not have a printed name along with it !!
It had a big red stamp that said "PAID" , that was not sufficient for her. They asked me to contact the bank where I had the original car loan and ask them to fax a letter to the DMV to confirm that the car did not have a lien !! (she cannot believe that a desi can own a car ?? ).

After hours of swinging back & forth from my old credit union (they had to search for my records since I had paid off the loan 4 years back) and the DMV I finally got my plates. My overall experience could be described using words like "HORRIBLE", "NIGHTMARE", "TORTURE", "HELL" etc.

Yeah & compared to other states, NJ sucks , no question.

speedking.

NJ sucks big time as far as DMV is concerned. I had tried changing my licnese from another state to NJ when I moved to NJ. It was like an endless ordeal- this was many years before 9/11.

I have lived in 5 different states including 2 after 9/11- NJ is by far the worst.

2 cents

Why do we not send a petition out

Originally posted by sb_tiger
NJ sucks big time as far as DMV is concerned. I had tried changing my licnese from another state to NJ when I moved to NJ. It was like an endless ordeal- this was many years before 9/11.

I have lived in 5 different states including 2 after 9/11- NJ is by far the worst.

2 cents

We should send a petition to the Governor etc.

MVC Commissioner live today on NJ101.5

bunchofquestion,

I heard that Diane McGreevy (hope i got that spelling right) MVC commissioner will be live today on NJ101.5 at 7:00 PM EST.

Eric Scott, news director , will be with her. You may write to him at ericscot@nj1015.com. Visit the radio station's website at

http://www.nj1015.com/contact.htm

Hope this helps.

We(core team) are planning to collect fund to support our I485 backlog reduction fight. We are in the final stages of forming the fund. Once we start collecting money, let us make this fund as big as possible and let us use it for purposes beyond the I485 fight. We c an use that fund to hire lawyers to fight these DMV's and BCIS local offices and any other agency practicing discrimination against the legal immigrants. Stay tuned for the fund collection drive. A non profit organisation called "immigrationportal.org" is already registered by us (core team) for this purpose.

NJ DL part 2 of my earlier story

Hi,
Looks like lot of people are fed up with NJ & they every right to feel so because of the attitude of the DMV towards legal immigrants like us.

I didn't mention this in my earlier post but eatondown DMV did confiscate my original H1 notice because as per them it was an altered document. They gave me two options get arrested & prove in the court that I didn't scratch off my middle initial or get out of DMV without H1 notice & come back with a new notice having middle initial. On H1 notice name appears twice once on top portion & again on the bottom I-94 portion. My name on the top portion didn't have my middle initial either. I tried to explain all these things but what can you do when you have an 8 months pregnant wife crying because she felt that her husband is getting arrested.
I then told my employer (a big desi bodyshop) to apply for duplicate H1. It never came & I applied for my I-485 with photocopies of H1 notice & got EAD & AP.
It happened to me tomorrow it could happen to somebody else we need to stop this nonsense.

Samy70

My husband got his lasik done and had to remove the condition of wearing glasses from his DL. We went to Rockaway DMV, assuming they could be nicer people.

First of all we were not aware of bringing the docs with us as he just had to get a condition removed from DL. Anyway, they asked for visa .We told them that our GC is filed and we have AP and EAD. We showed them original EAD and copy of AP. They didn't accept that and asked us to go Wayne regional office. The lady named Laura was not nice at all, and treated us badly in her conversation. But just like Mr Rajiv said earlier in his post, we need to be firm and confident in presenting our point.

No one is willing to give you, your rights in an easy way any more. We need to speak now.

After reading this thread, I am afraid I have to go thru all of this since I moved to NJ because the job moved here.

Samy,

First of all Sorry that you had to go thru all of that. Hope u are a proud father by now..

Question: You said u continued to use MI lic. till u got EAD. By law u have to get ur NJ lic. within 60 days. Did u eventually apply after 60 days? Did they really check when u moved to NJ?

For other people,

Can u only get ur car registration changed and wait for Licence change till we get the EAD renewal? Do they check EAD/H1 blah blah for registration too??

Thanks

daj

for DHARMA16

You mentioned about renewing DL from AAA office. Can you please give some more info about it in a separate thread?

sgi,

Thanks for sharing the info about the 101.5 show. I am in the process of preparing the letter. Let me send it to 101.5.

Sorry to hear about samy70's experience. These jokers don't have the technology/brains to verify someone's authenticity and they blame it on us. People talk about India as a third world country. For all those who say it, first go check this country's govt offices's facilities. Man it sucks. They have 5th world country technology. I saw at the supervisor's desk and dumb terminal that must be at least 15 years old. My 9 month old needs to stamp on each key in the keyborad for it to work. It even had a keyhole on the right side of the terminal. Typical govt....

I am also writing to Eric Scott of NJ101.5 about our hardship with MVC/DMV.

Yesterday, on 101.5, they were also talking about delays, it takes six months to approve an order to put a Stop / Yield sign, only at the state level and then country level is another 3 to 6 months ...

This is the way the developed countries work...

WIN

It really is a bigger issue

You can write, you can protest , you can scream.

The issue is really bigger, way much bigger.

Why are you here ? Why am I here ? Why are we all
here ? Land of opportunities...? That's over hyped...you can
create opportunities in India for yourself if you want to.

For as long as we are ready to be suckers and scramble to be
GC holders and citizens of the United States, be prepared to
be at the receiving end of things.

The day is not far off when all GC-seeking-mad-about-US-citizenship-Indians will have to make a beeline to get a job
in India. Its my prediction...u may argue its true/untrue.

Till then, keep sucking and tolerate shit.

Else, take your destiny in your own hands and kick butt.

dear ind15

Not to offend you!

Hope you own 87 ford and chevy, so you pay 1100, think
about people who own 3/5 series BMW and C/E class Mercedez.

what ever said and done, from my point NJ is like bombay..there are some good things like more friends, feel home etc..also bad things like people rude, rough, still running 87 models and worst gov services like DMV etc..

enjoy

Originally posted by daj
After reading this thread, I am afraid I have to go thru all of this since I moved to NJ because the job moved here.

Samy,

First of all Sorry that you had to go thru all of that. Hope u are a proud father by now..

Question: You said u continued to use MI lic. till u got EAD. By law u have to get ur NJ lic. within 60 days. Did u eventually apply after 60 days? Did they really check when u moved to NJ?

For other people,

Can u only get ur car registration changed and wait for Licence change till we get the EAD renewal? Do they check EAD/H1 blah blah for registration too??

Thanks

daj

NJ DL is a must if you want to buy a car, get it registered and get insurance. All these applications must be done with a nj dl and all must show the same address. any change causes changes in DL, then in registration and then the insurance.

my insurance company is now declining my insurance, since my wife still holds an out-of-state license. i went 2 days ordeal to get mine, and certainly don't want her to get a 10 month license (ead expiration date) in expense of her 2 days.

For the comments about NJ bashing, I would response that I would not prefer to live, if we didn't find work here. If I had the chance I wouldn't pay a dime in taxes to this state, where officials are rude, demanding and harrassing. I am not an indian desi, but receive same treatment.

In only in NJ (out of 11 states I lived), I received regular telephones from police, firefighter associations with requests for donations. They seemed to be overly using their "power" to convince you to send checks to their support organizations.

Overall, the officials here don't realize, or don't want to understand, that the immigrants is an integral part of their state.

anyway, please continue efforts to voice these concerns to the officials, i would be supporting you in this important effort.