**** Bad DL renewal expereince at NJ ***

In NJ H4 applicants do not get DL even after passing the road test. They issue a piece of paper that says you passed the test on so and so date.

When asked about this, they say for one year they have to drive on this piece of paper. For which they charge around $100 and then when you get the actual DL they charge you again.

NJ DMV notified me that my DL will expire on the date when H1 expires. When i asked them if i can renew my DL with the Receipt notice they said they need to see the actual approval.

When i told them that US govt accepts receipt notice and let us work why not they renew the DL on receipt notice. i was disconnected.

We pay taxes religiously.
We do not indulge in any illegal activities.
We have to take all the inconvenience to go to the regional offices to get the DL renewed every year.
We are treated as third grade group of people.

When everyone else gets to do their stuff without going thru any hassle then why we.

If this is not discrimination then what is this.

In florida

You get your Licence till your EAD or H1B expires...it is clearly stated.....so there is absolutely no dispute...Also for first 30 days they will give you a temp ID, before they mail the actual driver licence...my Wife had no problem getting licence

Outsourcing

Looks like Job out sourcing & BPO has made things worse..... as now every one knows that most of the jobs are going to india & china.

I agree, even though CA DOL sucks, the DMV is very efficient. I am still on H1, and even though I just have under 3 years left on my H1 (and my extension is yet to be approved) and still on LC stage, I got the renewal notice with the option to renew by mail!!. They gave me a 5 year DL.

Originally posted by ghost-rider
i guess california is one easy state to get DLs . Do'tknow what happened they were suppose to issue the DL to illeagal immigrants too from 1st jan. But yeh with EAd you get full4 yrs of DL and same for renew too.
Sorry to hear about your story seems NJ MVS needs some stick .

transferred my DL to NJ in Dec 2003. Wayne DMV

Painful experience. 4 hours waiting in the cold chilling weather outside. Treatment like animals. entered in the line at 7am, left building at 7.30pm

we should sue them to hell. This is the most discriminative state I have ever been

Originally posted by ea_ead
transferred my DL to NJ in Dec 2003. Wayne DMV

Painful experience. 4 hours waiting in the cold chilling weather outside. Treatment like animals. entered in the line at 7am, left building at 7.30pm

we should sue them to hell. This is the most discriminative state I have ever been

First, petition for change folks. Then we sue.

Surprising NJ

Reading thru this thread has been surprising and an eye opener for me. I had thought with so many fellow desis in NJ, it must me a friendly state - I mean while dealing with govt dept. Reason being, lot of people from a community gather at a place freindly to them. Secondly, strength also comes from numbers. With so many people from the same community, there should be corporators/ representatives/ senators protecting special interest groups. How about our community leaders there...do they do anything apart from organizing India Festivals and Bhangra/Dandiya etc. Is there any social service at all. Does not seem to be the case after reading thru this thread. I am sorry folks but I have generally found this problem with Desis. They don't stand for each other, generally, unlike for instance Latinos. Thats probably one of the reasons Latino groups are so strong and people don't overlook them. They are proud of thier heritage. In many cases I have found Desis hiding thier roots. People landing for the first time on American soil acquire such accent so fast that will put Americans to shame :)

Moral of the story, be proud of your heritage. Fight for your rights while being mindful of your status and drawing a line. If you go with the feeling that people will exploit you, people WILL exploit you. And, support zealously people like Rajiv Khanna...who has turned out to be more than a lawyer. In his first post in this thread he mentions...at least you should have called me. Bravo. It is nice to know that someone cares. Guys lets not unnecessarily bother him over petty issues and burn him out but call him only when something as pathetic as this happens.

I don't know about Mr. Khanna's future plan but one thing I know for sure. Whenever I get my citizenship, I would be proud to support him for representing us at the congress. Till then find someone like him.

Amen.

One more thing

While all this is happening....take AAA membership. Its much easier to get your DL renewed at AAA office.

Thanks.

How is it possible to petition DMV as most of us try to get our DLs after going thru all these hardships. We do not have any proof that we were put to these hardships. As of that point in time the only thing that we have in mind is just get the dl renewed and get the hell out of here.

Right now i need to go for the renewal in march as my ead expires in march and so does the DL.

Can we petition DMV asking them to treat us humane and get our DLs renewed in the local DMV office instead of going to the regional offices.

Do they know anything like inter office communication?

Did anyone see the investigation report on CH-9 (I think) during the news time yesterday about, blacks and whites going to the same rental house broker to inquire for a house and how this broker was showing all good houses in the good locality to the white fella and all the small houses in the not so good locality to the black fella. Then they showed these discriminatory activities to the government officials and it seems the govt. is going to take some actions against the broker (upto 100k fine). Now, here we are talking about govt. taking action against private agencies. What about the govt. agencies it self?

By the way, I wrote a e-mail to Governor McGreevey yesterday about the hardship we face in DMV. Waiting for any reply back...

DHARMA16, it is interesting to know that even AAA renew the DL. What is the process?

I agree

I totally agree with DHARMA16. Just because of this forum I came to know the hardship our fellow indians are facing.

If we don't do something, we are sure in more trouble in near future. We need to change our thinking/attitude towards each other.

I have seen when any indian see indian they try to avoid each other (I don't know why?) and in case you are approced by some unknown indian, you think of AMWAY (90% of time it is true). :)

I'm not fighting or pulling legs this is just an open discussion. If I'm wrong let me know...

:(

Looks like Nj is like a hell after hearing from all u guys ,well as for me, i got my license renewed in hartford ct ,the officers here were polite and they renewed my license fro 5yrs after checking my i485 appilcation.

This is a very interesting thread. For many years i thought that i am the only one who hates this ugly state called 'NJ' (having lived here for about 18 months in 1999-2000 and again now). This state sucks in all aspects. It's a people unfriendly state (unlike the beautiful Virginia). They give you speeding ticket too often even if you are going with the traffic. They ask you to sign for 1 yr lease if you want to rent one(getting an apartment itself is very difficult). If you lose your job after 3 months and want to move to another state, then you have to pay rent for the remaining 9 months and then leave. The traffic is heavy, insurance cost is high, apartments are not good yet the rents are high. Most of the towns look like towns in third world countries. places like jersey city and newark look worse than the third world coutries.

Coming back to the main discussion, it is obvious that we need some organisation to protect the rights and dignity of legal immigrants. As "rajum" suggested, i think that we have to begin with forming online communities, atleast statewise. For Newjersey, we formed "njimmi@yahoogroups.com". I request all NJ people to send an email to that Email ID asking us to add them to the group. I also request people from other states to start yahoo groups and stay in touch and fight the local issues unitedly. So boston people can start "maimmi@yahoogroups.com", Virginia people can start "vaimmi@yahoogroups.com" etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
We will be happy to make a forum for you here

Originally posted by dsatish
This is a very interesting thread. For many years i thought that i am the only one who hates this ugly state called 'NJ' (having lived here for about 18 months in 1999-2000 and again now). This state sucks in all aspects. It's a people unfriendly state (unlike the beautiful Virginia). They give you speeding ticket too often even if you are going with the traffic. They ask you to sign for 1 yr lease if you want to rent one(getting an apartment itself is very difficult). If you lose your job after 3 months and want to move to another state, then you have to pay rent for the remaining 9 months and then leave. The traffic is heavy, insurance cost is high, apartments are not good yet the rents are high. Most of the towns look like towns in third world countries. places like jersey city and newark look worse than the third world coutries.

Coming back to the main discussion, it is obvious that we need some organisation to protect the rights and dignity of legal immigrants. As "rajum" suggested, i think that we have to begin with forming online communities, atleast statewise. For Newjersey, we formed "njimmi@yahoogroups.com". I request all NJ people to send an email to that Email ID asking us to add them to the group. I also request people from other states to start yahoo groups and stay in touch and fight the local issues unitedly. So boston people can start "maimmi@yahoogroups.com", Virginia people can start "vaimmi@yahoogroups.com" etc.

If you folks like, we can give you a forum here. Send me an email.

I completelly agree with dsatish!

It was really a shock moving from VA to NJ. And yes, we had same disgusting exprerience with apartments, insurance and DMV.

They made my wife cry after endless waiting and redirecting from one officer to another (it was Wayne DMV), then, only after she started asking them about their legal contacts they were willing to help.

After paying insurance in VA $530 a year we got an estimate of about $5500 in this stinking state.

The appartments here are just tiny dirty holes with sky-high prices...

Of all states we've been NJ is by far the worst one!

If you considering moving to NJ, consider these things too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really sorry to hear what happened to you! I support you for any action you would take against these Ba*t*r*ds!

"cat&mouse"

You are absolutely right about "AMWAY/QUICKSTAR" things, I go to NJ just for fun (Live in CT) once in a month and I stuck with the Desi people who are working for these organisation... and then they will make your life hell.

This is the biggest reason, why one Desi does not want to even look at another Desi.

Hello all,

I am living in NJ for past 7 years. I got my GC in 2002. Yes, I agree that people in NJ / NYC (not NY State) are rude especially towards Indians. Initially I used to be mild and soft guy like fellow Indians. But of late I know how to handle these guys. The logic is you should also be rude to the people who do not respect you. Learn to use your finger as when it is required:ƒº That¡¦s it. Also, you do not expect any out of turn favors. They go by what is instructed to them or what is there on paper.

As far as my DL experience is concerned I never had any issues. Our initial license was for 4 years (me and my wife were on H1 / H4). When our licenses came up for renewal (post 9/11), we were on EAD. But we got renewal letters in mail. We went to nearest DMV (not a regional center) and showed the renewal letter and old license. That¡¦s it. No questions asked. Our licenses were renewed for another 4 years. After that we got our GC's.

But I had one incident when I was renewing my registration. The guy printed wrong info (misspelled my name) on the registration card. I went to DMV again on next day and asked him to correct it. He started accusing me off fake registration and in the conversation he said something about Indians. I took him to task and went to higher up in the same office. I was polite and smiling all the way and did not get emotional. Finally I got what I wanted plus an apology from the higher official on behalf of his staff member.

Ok....guys...we are discussing the horrible experience in DMV....don't put this discussion on sidetrack by discussing...how horrible it is to live in NJ compared to VA (wonderful state, where you get your license suspended just for speeding).

Living in a state is not by our choice, but by our job. I've had my own share of horrible experiences in Regional DMV in NJ. I can understand the frustration of 'bunchofquestion'.

What do you guys think, is the solution to fight this type of discriminations ? When we are treated badly at a DMV office or local BCIS office, who can we complain to ? Rajiv, do you have any suggestions ?

NJ DMV has created a minor problem for me in 1999. That time i was having a Georgia license and i went to the NJ DMV and passed the written test. They are supposed to issue me NJ DL immediately. But the clerk told that i have to take road test. When i questioned why (some of my friends were immediately issued DL after passing the written test and submitting the out of state license), the lady told me that, in Georgia, they issue DL without road test, if you submit the International DL. I said that that's not true and told her that i have taken a road test in Georgia. She was adament and told me that she is not going to give me DL without a road test. I told her strongly that she can't do this way without a proof. Then she backed down grudgingly, and gave the DL and warned me that she will verify with Georgia if i have taken the test or not ( i know that she is just bluffing and she was trying to cover her face ):p

Originally posted by dsatish
What do you guys think, is the solution to fight this type of discriminations ? When we are treated badly at a DMV office or local BCIS office, who can we complain to ? Rajiv, do you have any suggestions ?

NJ DMV has created a minor problem for me in 1999. That time i was having a Georgia license and i went to the NJ DMV and passed the written test. They are supposed to issue me NJ DL immediately. But the clerk told that i have to take road test. When i questioned why (some of my friends were immediately issued DL after passing the written test and submitting the out of state license), the lady told me that, in Georgia, they issue DL without road test, if you submit the International DL. I said that that's not true and told her that i have taken a road test in Georgia. She was adament and told me that she is not going to give me DL without a road test. I told her strongly that she can't do this way without a proof. Then she backed down grudgingly, and gave the DL and warned me that she will verify with Georgia if i have taken the test or not ( i know that she is just bluffing and she was trying to cover her face ):p

We can ALWAYS do something about it.