**** Bad DL renewal expereince at NJ ***

Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences. It was really frustrating. I blame everything on INS...

Thanks to Mr. Khanna for taking the time and intrest in this matter. I will draft a letter and email it to you for review.

I should have carried a Digital voice recorder or at the very least my PDA that has recording capabilities. Perhaps recorded the whole thing and saved it as en evidence.

bunchofquestion,
Just to let you know- it is illegal to record conversations without the other party's knowlege/consent.
HTH

sb_tiger,

I didn't know that it was illegal to record the conversation. Some time ago there was a case in CA where a white police officer hit a black teenage boy... This came on the TV, basically it was caught on tape by someone casually. Was this considered to be legal or illegal?

I am not a leagal person- so I could be wrong. But an act in a public place is different form a private conversation.
HTH

I went twice to Trenton for my DL renewal, with I-485 original receipts but they refused to renew it for 4 years and I am waiting for my 2nd EAD approval. I have my DL till April end, hopefully I will get my EAD approved before that and get at least a year renewal on my DL.

In the mean time I have received non-photo ID renewal form in mail. What is a non-photo ID? I can understand that it won't have a photo but can I use it as a regular DL? What are things I can't do with a non-photo DL?

WIN

Originally posted by whats_in_name
In the mean time I have received non-photo ID renewal form in mail. What is a non-photo ID? I can understand that it won't have a photo but can I use it as a regular DL? What are things I can't do with a non-photo DL?

Yes, you can use it as a regular DL, but it can not be used as a Photo ID.

ar888

Thanks for your response. Can you give some examples, where this non-photo DL won't work? They ask for DL anywhere you go, here in the US.

WIN

ar888

Thanks for your response. Can you give some examples, where this non-photo DL won't work? They ask for DL anywhere you go, here in the US.

WIN

Some examples:
You cannot use it for check-in at the airport.
You cannot use it for conducting transactions at a bank.

In short, any places that require "Government-issued photo ID".

If you get non-photo drivers license, then you need to carry your passport to all places where they check your Driving license for verification.

GC012002, thanks

If this non-photo DL can not be used where "Government-issued photo ID" is required, what are my alternatives? What else can I use as "Government-issued photo ID"?

WIN

EAD?

GC012002, thanks

If this non-photo DL can not be used where "Government-issued photo ID" is required, what are my alternatives? What else can I use as "Government-issued photo ID"?

WIN

bunchofquestion,
Sorry to hear the problem faced by you at DMV. I may be next in the line to receive this kind of indignation as my DL is expiring in July 2004.

Recently I & dsatish formed a NJ Immigration Group to support the law suit activities and to meet congressman and others. As a part of that we formed a mailing list. If you are interested, joined in the group and lets collectively fight for these kind of problems.

Lets me take this opportunity to request all the NJ residents to join the mailing list. If you send me PM with your email address I can add you to the list. Our group mail id : njimmi@yahoogroups.com
If you can go to the site and join that is even more great...

-rajum

Re: Can we sue DMV for discrimination

Originally posted by hemeshd
I had same experience with dmv. They caused so much of tension and emotional stress for renewing my DL and again when we applied for my wife's DL.

First of all why should immigrants go to the regional office. Are we not paying the same fee as others. Are we not paying our taxes. Why are we made to go thru all these hassles. I had to take a day off when i went to trenton DMV. Took almost 6 hours.

When other states are issues dls for 5 years why would NJ dmv issue only till the validity of the visa. When they are able to track people and send them notices saying that their DL will expire as soon as their visa expires, for all those pending 485 cases they should issue 5 years and then when 485 is denied they should sent a notice that they are cancelling the dl.

In NJ, immigrants are money making machines. They make all the money treat them like dirt. I hate NJ.

Mr Khanna, do you think we can sue DMV for Discrimination.

In my opinion, lawsuits should always be the last recourse. First, we should try to bring about changes without contention. If that does not work, we sue.

ar888

Any where, where they ask for identification, you have to show either EAD or passport along with non-photo DL.

hi its the same story here in ohio also.
i live in a small town in ohio and lived with three eads before my 1 485 approval. so every year i need to go to dmv for the licence renewal and the employees will be so suspicious about my status and after a bunch of phone calls and lots of waiting i will get it renewed for one year ( till the expiry of the ead), so the whole process was a dreadful feeling for me and i never liked it. i did that for three times.well the height was that lady tried to brush me off even with my greencard stamp when i went there after the i485 approval, this time i told her to verify her rules before trying to issue me a one year renewal (as the temp greencard stamp in the passport will be for one year) and told her that i am going to take this whole issue to the higher authorities if she doesnt recognize my greencard and cause me any unnecessary agony, well she went in, spoke to her superior and issued a regular renewal for three years.so in the small towns greencard stamps in the passports are also not well known, and we need to educate the person. dl renewal with ead is a bad experience in ohio too.
hcgcwait.

it is strange to hear all these stories, because it is no problem getting/renewing a DL here in Massachusetts. You can go to Mass RMV, submit the form and your EAD, and get it renewed for 5 years, no questions asked.
maybe the NJ RMV guys need to be sued for discrimination. next time, just act like you are very offended by the treatment and threaten a lawsuit. remind them of the state troopers who got sued for harassment a few years back..!!

Goober.

Taken for Granted

Looks like these guys are taking us for granted...

I tried getting EAD earlier then 90 but they refused, office was so rude, it's like treating us as slaves.#@$%@!$#%@$%

At INS office(milwaukee) you have to go to respective counter when your number is displayed, I went to the counter after my number was displayed on board. Office was still taking to someone, so waited. Instead of calling me he changed the number. I thought may be by mistake he must have pressed the number. After waiting for 10 minutes he called number next to me, so went there and gave me number and said, sir, looks like by mistake you have pressed the next number.

He was so rude and said I have not called your number, so go and wait. Without seeing my face (like I'm not present there) he started calling other numbers and does even want to talk to me.

This is just because we don't have GC. I could have gone to supervisor but do not want any mess at this time....

so after waiting 90 days I went to chicago, one STUPID FAT BITCH at counter told me your 90 days is not over (as she was counting from 90 Work days).

She told me, they don't work on sat & sunday (so it's not 90 days yet), so come when your 90 work days is over, but after telling her that my attorney told me it is just 90 days not 90 working days & requesting several times, she gave me the form but she marked with red pen that 90 days are not over. & told me I'm giving you the form but they won't issue.

[ just felt we are beggers , with no rights...]

Fortunatly IIO issued temp ead for 3 months and told me you should receive your EAD by mail within this time limit from service center.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel very sorry for my co sufferers here. I am from NY and here they renew only till EAD expiration date and it is written in red on the permit 'TEMPORARY VISITOR STATUS EXPIRES XX-XX-XXXX'
But they were very polite about the entire thing and apologetic that I needed to renew it again. The Supervisor did not know a fXXk about parole and wanted to take a copy of my passport to check what is a parole.
I dont know but I think we should also be on the offensive and do the BC,MC route

Any NY posters have taken DL on EAD? Do they also get the DL with the red stamp ?

i guess california is one easy state to get DLs . Do'tknow what happened they were suppose to issue the DL to illeagal immigrants too from 1st jan. But yeh with EAd you get full4 yrs of DL and same for renew too.
Sorry to hear about your story seems NJ MVS needs some stick .