Bachelors Degree - "or equivalent" ?

canucked08

Registered Users (C)
Would 2 years of work experience in the field equal a bahelors degree? I'm trying to determine if my position is "professional" or nonprofessional

Thanks!!

Don't understand - this for equivalency?

It goes like this - let's say you have a two year diploma in something - basket weaving. And then you spend the next six years basket weaving. If you use an outside credentialing service, they will look at your first two years of schooling as counting towards the first two years of a bachelor's degree, and then for every three years after that, they will count that towards that as one more year of a university degree.

So then what do you have? Or is your question something different?

I have a 3 year diploma, and 5 years experience.

The ad that was placed only asked for 2 years experience - and did not mention education.

the 9089 form states professional job requires bachelors degree "or equivalent"
Do I have the equivalent?

Are you kiddin' me? !!!! That means anyone and his mother can apply.

The add\ should have read: Bachelor's degree or equivalent plus two years experience.

I think you're going to get screwed on this. Who came up with the ad? There are very strict requirements for how the ad needs to be written. I'd be surprised if DOL will even accept the ad for PERM.

Your 3 year diploma plus 5 years would be the equivalent of a bachelor's degree. In your case only the first three count as that gets you the last (4th) year that you need for the degree as long as it was earned at another employer.

You also need to get your credentials evaluated for equivalency to a degree.

I like these guys. http://www.fis-web.com/eval.html

I think you have a long way to go - I'll be shocked of DOL approves it.

I think you're going to get screwed on this. Who came up with the ad? There are very strict requirements for how the ad needs to be written. I'd be surprised if DOL will even accept the ad for PERM.

Why? It falls under the EB3 "Skilled Worker" category, not EB3 "Professional".

TRC,

look at what he said.....there was no mention of education in the ad. That means just about anyone can apply. what are you going to do when there are 200 resumes with 5-to 10 years experience and no degree?

BTW.....this is not a witch hunt or slight against anyone without a degree...which it sounds a little like from me.

Look, if the ad said 3 years of school, the prevailing wage determination would go up - exceeding what the boss wants to pay.

To keep it at the same level, the ad requirements were lowered.

I thought if I put 2 years experience, its sort of a given in this field if you dont have the schooling you arent going to get hired to get experience.

Also, I figure if they make a big deal about school, the excuse being it is not necessary to do the job, experience is though.

No qualified workers were found in the search. Why would they deny me?

wait, like therealcanadian said, I am looking ahead at the I-140 form and the box sais "petition type: "a professional (at a minimum possessing a bachelor's degree or a foreign degree equivalent to a US bachelors degree) OR a skilled worker (requiring at least two years of training or experience)

so there may be hope for me yet?

I understand having a degree is important if you dont have any work experience, but I cant see how school would be more important than actual work experience (but then I went to college ;) )

look at what he said.....there was no mention of education in the ad. That means just about anyone can apply. what are you going to do when there are 200 resumes with 5-to 10 years experience and no degree?

It depends if you get the responses or not.

But the requirements are perfectly acceptable for an LC and an I-140, assuming no qualified local workers reply. I would be concerned that requiring a degree would make the wage too high. Just how underpaid is the OP?

If it goes through DOL then you're good. I'm surprised it doesn't get audited.
But again if it goes through you got lucky. Has DOL approved it yet?

wait, like therealcanadian said, I am looking ahead at the I-140 form and the box sais "petition type: "a professional (at a minimum possessing a bachelor's degree or a foreign degree equivalent to a US bachelors degree) OR a skilled worker (requiring at least two years of training or experience)

Those are both EB-3 categories.

actually there were about 40 responses, only 12 met the application requirements and none of those had the required skills.

I'm a bit more relieved now while I'm waiting for a DOL response. EB3 is better than nothing!

Its true, I'm taking a huge pay cut in exchange for getting sponsored. (I should have been a nurse like my father wanted!! :)

Requirements for TN visa http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/88146.pdf list specific requirements for specific professions in the list.
For some professions, the requirements are in terms of degree. For some, in terms of experience. For some, for both.
No way could you use "equivalent" of diploma by having some work experience, if specific requirement to educational degree is listed for your profession.

Requirements for TN visa http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/88146.pdf list specific requirements for specific professions in the list.
For some professions, the requirements are in terms of degree. For some, in terms of experience. For some, for both.
No way could you use "equivalent" of diploma by having some work experience, if specific requirement to educational degree is listed for your profession.

raevsky,

We're talking PERM here, not TN.

The requirements for TN and PERM are not the same.

And just to be clear, there are no TN categories that require both a degree and experience.

raevsky,
We're talking PERM here, not TN.
I am not so sure. The original posting was into the group called TN status, and it did not say anything about PERM.
The requirements for TN and PERM are not the same.
I know that. That is one of the reasons I clarified the situation by making a post here.

And just to be clear, there are no TN categories that require both a degree and experience.
That is incorrect. For instance,

Computer systems anayst - baccalaureate degree or post-secondary diploma and three years experience
Industrial designer - baccalaureate degree or post-secondary diploma and three years experience

actually there were about 40 responses, only 12 met the application requirements and none of those had the required skills.

I'm a bit more relieved now while I'm waiting for a DOL response. EB3 is better than nothing!

Its true, I'm taking a huge pay cut in exchange for getting sponsored. (I should have been a nurse like my father wanted!! :)

Where the heck are you if you got that many responses and had to take such a huge pay cut? Alabama? Mississippi? Geez.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think canucked08's original question could have been about TN status, and he could just not realize the discussion on the forum is not in the mainstream, but off his original question.