B2 - rejected twice

Questions regarding Congressman

Hi v_indian

I saw your post on the immigration portal regarding the congressman letter you took for your in-laws for their US visa.

Unfortunately I am in the same boat now, my in-laws visa got rejected once in Spet 2004 and I would like to get a congress man letter , if you can guide me on the same that would be really appreciated.

1. What kind of a letter format does one need from the congress man

2. How to approach and get that letter

3. How to arrange your paper work to apply by mail

If you can e-mail me a sample and ans to the above I would really appreciate it. I live in Virgjina.

My email-id is neenasingh@hotmail.com

Thanks
Neena

Hi,
My Mother's VISA has been rejected today stating
following reasons.

Section 214(b) requires an applicant for a non
emigrant visa to establish that you plan to stay in
the US for a specific, limited period of time; and
after the trip you intend to return to a residence
outside the US. Please do not ask us to suggest to you
specific types of evidence. We are not in a position
to make such suggestions , as each individual
circumstances will differ.

My mom is retired and I have no clue what document they are expecting. Your feedbacks are welcome

Visior Visa - Result of Being very honest ??

Folks ,

I need your advise . My son was sent to India with my mother , when my son was 9 months old . Now my son is almost 3 years old . I am trying to get visitor visa for my in-laws . Thier visa was rejected once in the first week of feb. Interview at Chennai was for 2 minutes or so . And it was rejected . Now again in the third week of March my in-laws are going to Chennai for interview . My father-in-law wants to take my son into consulate and tell the officer that They need visa so that they can come here and drop off the kid with us and will go back .Infact that is the prime reason ( smooth transition for the kid) why they are planning to come here . Here are my questions and I want your opinion / suggestion .

(a) Will they allow 3 year old kid ( US pass port) inside chennai consulate along with my in laws , who are there for visitor visa ?

(b) Being very honest and telling the truth that they want to drop off the kid with us - Will it help ? or will it have any negative impact ?

Thanks
Sunny

Rejected twice

My mom's Visitors Visa got rejected twice . Can I apply again ? Or do i need to wait for 2 years to apply again? Can I contat local congressman & can that be of any help?

Thanks

contact some travelagents

My in-laws were also rejected twice at Chennai Consulate. My opinion is even if ur case is simple and striaghtforward , we have apply thru Travel agents who handle such visa-processing application.Better to go through popular travel agents in the respective Indian Cities.

mysunny007 said:
Folks ,

I need your advise . My son was sent to India with my mother , when my son was 9 months old . Now my son is almost 3 years old . I am trying to get visitor visa for my in-laws . Thier visa was rejected once in the first week of feb. Interview at Chennai was for 2 minutes or so . And it was rejected . Now again in the third week of March my in-laws are going to Chennai for interview . My father-in-law wants to take my son into consulate and tell the officer that They need visa so that they can come here and drop off the kid with us and will go back .Infact that is the prime reason ( smooth transition for the kid) why they are planning to come here . Here are my questions and I want your opinion / suggestion .

(a) Will they allow 3 year old kid ( US pass port) inside chennai consulate along with my in laws , who are there for visitor visa ?

(b) Being very honest and telling the truth that they want to drop off the kid with us - Will it help ? or will it have any negative impact ?

Thanks
Sunny

http://www.immihelp.com has useful info.

Visa Denials - Section 214(b)

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/denials/denials_1361.html

Visa Denials

Liza was excited. In three days her friend Timothy would come visit her in the United States. Suddenly, the phone rang. Liza couldnt believe her ears! Sadly, Timothy told her, "I cannot come...the consul said I am 214(b)."

On any given day throughout the world some visa applicants find themselves in Timothys situation. They hear the consular officer say, "Your visa application is refused. You are not qualified under Section 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act." To be refused a visa when you are not expecting it causes great disappointment and sometimes embarrassment. Here is what a 214(b) visa refusal means and what applicants and friends can do to prepare for a visa reapplication.

WHY IS THERE A VISA REQUIREMENT?

The United States is an open society. Unlike many other countries, the United States does not impose internal controls on most visitors, such as registration with local authorities. In order to enjoy the privilege of unencumbered travel in the United States, aliens have a responsibility to prove they are going to return abroad before a visitor or student visa is issued. Our immigration law requires consular officers to view every visa applicant as an intending immigrant until the applicant proves otherwise.

WHAT IS SECTION 214(b)?

Section 214(b) is part of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). It states:

Every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status...

To qualify for a visitor or student visa, an applicant must meet the requirements of sections 101(a)(15)(B) or (F) of the INA respectively. Failure to do so will result in a refusal of a visa under INA 214(b). The most frequent basis for such a refusal concerns the requirement that the prospective visitor or student possess a residence abroad he/she has no intention of abandoning. Applicants prove the existence of such residence by demonstrating that they have ties abroad that would compel them to leave the U.S. at the end of the temporary stay. The law places this burden of proof on the applicant.

Our consular officers have a difficult job. They must decide in a very short time if someone is qualified to receive a temporary visa. Most cases are decided after a brief interview and review of whatever evidence of ties an applicant presents.

WHAT CONSTITUTES "STRONG TIES"?
Strong ties differ from country to country, city to city, individual to individual. Some examples of ties can be a job, a house, a family, a bank account. "Ties" are the various aspects of your life that bind you to your country of residence: your possessions, employment, social and family relationships.

As a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, imagine your own ties in the United States. Would a consular office of a foreign country consider that you have a residence in the United States that you do not intend to abandon? It is likely that the answer would be "yes" if you have a job, a family, if you own or rent a house or apartment, or if you have other commitments that would require you to return to the United States at the conclusion of a visit abroad. Each person's situation is different.

Our consular officers are aware of this diversity. During the visa interview they look at each application individually and consider professional, social, cultural and other factors. In cases of younger applicants who may not have had an opportunity to form many ties, consular officers may look at the applicants specific intentions, family situations, and long-range plans and prospects within his or her country of residence. Each case is examined individually and is accorded every consideration under the law.

IS A DENIAL UNDER SECTION 214(B) PERMANENT?

No. The consular officer will reconsider a case if an applicant can show further convincing evidence of ties outside the United States. Your friend, relative or student should contact the embassy or consulate to find out about reapplication procedures. Unfortunately, some applicants will not qualify for a nonimmigrant visa, regardless of how many times they reapply, until their personal, professional, and financial circumstances change considerably.

HOW CAN I HELP?

You may provide a letter of invitation or support. However, this cannot guarantee visa issuance to a foreign national friend, relative or student. Visa applicants must qualify for the visa according to their own circumstances, not on the basis of an American sponsor's assurance.

WHAT CAN YOU DO IF AN AQUAINTANCE IS REFUSED A VISA UNDER 214(B) FOR LACK OF A RESIDENCE ABROAD?
First encourage your relative, friend or student to review carefully their situation and evaluate realistically their ties. You can suggest that they write down on paper what qualifying ties they think they have which may not have been evaluated at the time of their interview with the consular officer. Also, if they have been refused, they should review what documents were submitted for the consul to consider. Applicants refused visas under section 214(b) may reapply for a visa. When they do, they will have to show further evidence of their ties or how their circumstances have changed since the time of the original application. It may help to answer the following questions before reapplying: (1) Did I explain my situation accurately? (2) Did the consular officer overlook something? (3) Is there any additional information I can present to establish my residence and strong ties abroad?

Your acquaintances should also bear in mind that they will be charged a nonrefundable application fee each time they apply for a visa, regardless of whether a visa is issued.

WHO CAN INFLUENCE THE CONSULAR OFFICER TO REVERSE A DECISION?

Immigration law delegates the responsibility for issuance or refusal of visas to consular officers overseas. They have the final say on all visa cases. By regulation the U.S. Department of State has authority to review consular decisions, but this authority is limited to the interpretation of law, as contrasted to determinations of facts. The question at issue in such denials, whether an applicant possesses the required residence abroad, is a factual one. Therefore, it falls exclusively within the authority of consular officers at our Foreign Service posts to resolve. An applicant can influence the post to change a prior visa denial only through the presentation of new convincing evidence of strong ties.

You may wish to send this brochure to your relative, friend or student abroad. We hope that a better understanding of section 214(b) will prepare them for successful visa interviews.

The phone rang. "Liza, its Timothy. I went back to the Embassy for another interview! I showed the consul more information about my job and family. This time I got my visa!" Liza was overjoyed. "Great!" she exclaimed, I'll see you next week!"

U.S. Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Publication 10485
June 1997

Refusals at consulates

Refusals - 214b

http://usembassy.state.gov/chennai/wwwhniv214b.html

Section 214(b) of the United States Immigration and Nationality Act states that: "Every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for a visa that he is entitled to non-immigrant status" This means that most visa applicants* must convince the Consular Officer of the following:

that he or she intends to return to his or her home in India following a temporary stay in the United States,
that his or her financial situation is such that he or she can afford the trip without having to seek unauthorized employment in the U.S.,
that the travel is for legitimate purposes permitted by the applicant's visa category.

Applicants overcome this presumption of immigrant intent by showing that their overall circumstances, including social, family, economic and other ties to India, will compel them to leave the U.S. at the end of a temporary visit or study. "Ties" are the various aspects of life that bind you to India, such as your family relationships, employment and possessions. In the case of younger applicants who may not have had an opportunity to establish such ties, U.S. law considers educational status, school grades and long-range plans in India. As each person's situation is different, there is no single criteria that shows compelling ties to India.

Section 214(b) ineligibilities are not permanent. If you have new information or if your overall circumstances have changed significantly, you may reapply.

*Major exceptions: H1-B, H-4, L-1, L-2, R-1, R-2 visas.

One common misconception about section 214(b) ineligibilities is that qualifying for a visa is just a matter of providing more documents. As has been noted above, a visa decision is not simply based on documents. Rather, the visa interview itself is critical. All documents listed on our website or in our telephone messages are suggested documents that allow you to apply for a visa and allow us to make a proper decision. No one document or information guarantees visa eligibility.

Some students are confused when, after presenting a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (I-20) from their chosen school in the U.S., they are ineligible for a student visa. Just as with visitors, Section 214(b) requires students to show that they intend to leave the U.S. after they finish their studies. An I-20 is one of several documents that allow you to apply for a student visa, but cannot guarantee your eligibility. Students may be ineligible if it appears that their primary purpose is not to obtain an education that will advance their life in India, but will facilitate an indefinite stay in the U.S. for themselves or their family.

Some ineligible applicants seek help from a "visa consultant". Be careful. If you do decide to hire a consultant, remember that you alone are responsible for the accuracy of the information in your application.

Once an officer has determined that an applicant does not qualify for a visa, the applicant should not re-apply unless there are significant changes in the applicant's circumstances or information, which was not presented during the first interview. If this is the case, you may re apply after 3 working days. Applicants wanting need to schedule a new appointment through TT Services. However, applicants providing the same information a second time after a previous refusal will be highly unlikely to succeed in obtaining a visa during the second interview.

Time and limited staff do not permit officers to take phone calls on behalf of visa applicants.

visitor visa in chennai

lohith said:
Refusals - 214b

http://usembassy.state.gov/chennai/wwwhniv214b.html

Section 214(b) of the United States Immigration and Nationality Act states that: "Every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for a visa that he is entitled to non-immigrant status" This means that most visa applicants* must convince the Consular Officer of the following:

that he or she intends to return to his or her home in India following a temporary stay in the United States,
that his or her financial situation is such that he or she can afford the trip without having to seek unauthorized employment in the U.S.,
that the travel is for legitimate purposes permitted by the applicant's visa category.

Applicants overcome this presumption of immigrant intent by showing that their overall circumstances, including social, family, economic and other ties to India, will compel them to leave the U.S. at the end of a temporary visit or study. "Ties" are the various aspects of life that bind you to India, such as your family relationships, employment and possessions. In the case of younger applicants who may not have had an opportunity to establish such ties, U.S. law considers educational status, school grades and long-range plans in India. As each person's situation is different, there is no single criteria that shows compelling ties to India.

Section 214(b) ineligibilities are not permanent. If you have new information or if your overall circumstances have changed significantly, you may reapply.

*Major exceptions: H1-B, H-4, L-1, L-2, R-1, R-2 visas.

One common misconception about section 214(b) ineligibilities is that qualifying for a visa is just a matter of providing more documents. As has been noted above, a visa decision is not simply based on documents. Rather, the visa interview itself is critical. All documents listed on our website or in our telephone messages are suggested documents that allow you to apply for a visa and allow us to make a proper decision. No one document or information guarantees visa eligibility.

Some students are confused when, after presenting a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (I-20) from their chosen school in the U.S., they are ineligible for a student visa. Just as with visitors, Section 214(b) requires students to show that they intend to leave the U.S. after they finish their studies. An I-20 is one of several documents that allow you to apply for a student visa, but cannot guarantee your eligibility. Students may be ineligible if it appears that their primary purpose is not to obtain an education that will advance their life in India, but will facilitate an indefinite stay in the U.S. for themselves or their family.

Some ineligible applicants seek help from a "visa consultant". Be careful. If you do decide to hire a consultant, remember that you alone are responsible for the accuracy of the information in your application.

Once an officer has determined that an applicant does not qualify for a visa, the applicant should not re-apply unless there are significant changes in the applicant's circumstances or information, which was not presented during the first interview. If this is the case, you may re apply after 3 working days. Applicants wanting need to schedule a new appointment through TT Services. However, applicants providing the same information a second time after a previous refusal will be highly unlikely to succeed in obtaining a visa during the second interview.

Time and limited staff do not permit officers to take phone calls on behalf of visa applicants.

Hello.

I am new to this forum and need some help on visitor visas. We are planning to invite my in-laws to US for a visit, and to help with delivery of the baby in December. After reading the posts, I understand that there seem to be complications in approvals (and a good share of rejections as well).

Can one of you please let me know what the best practices are for applying for visitor visa? My FIL works for state government of AP, and my MIL is a home maker. I would really appreciate any details you can share in this regard.

Thanks.

TempNirvana said:
Hello.

I am new to this forum and need some help on visitor visas. We are planning to invite my in-laws to US for a visit, and to help with delivery of the baby in December. After reading the posts, I understand that there seem to be complications in approvals (and a good share of rejections as well).

Can one of you please let me know what the best practices are for applying for visitor visa? My FIL works for state government of AP, and my MIL is a home maker. I would really appreciate any details you can share in this regard.

Thanks.

Check http://www.immi-help.com
http://www.path2usa.com

inviting my mom!

hi,
i'm on GC here,living alone wants to invite my mom on visitors visa.is that immigration looks for some fixed bank balance,like i heard that u need to have somewhere around $10,000 in bank.i work in 2 jobs,earning somewhere around 50+k /annum.all family back home.do u think will be strong case for my mom.
and do we have to apply for 10 yrs multiple visa or it's at officer's discretion that they give to anybody they feel like.
thanks in advance!!

austin316 said:
hi,
i'm on GC here,living alone wants to invite my mom on visitors visa.is that immigration looks for some fixed bank balance,like i heard that u need to have somewhere around $10,000 in bank.i work in 2 jobs,earning somewhere around 50+k /annum.all family back home.do u think will be strong case for my mom.
and do we have to apply for 10 yrs multiple visa or it's at officer's discretion that they give to anybody they feel like.
thanks in advance!!
I guess, $10k in bank, fine. also show employment letter that you are getting paid regulary/annuualy.

no of years visa depends on officer.

i have observed one thing that if daughter is applying for her parents,more chances of acceptance than of son.don't know how true it is?any opinion about it.

the thing is,my friend, i don't have 10k in my accnt.i wanted to know if i need to have some fixed amnt in my accnt to prove to immi officer that i can support my mom while she's here.
thanks.

austin316 said:
the thing is,my friend, i don't have 10k in my accnt.i wanted to know if i need to have some fixed amnt in my accnt to prove to immi officer that i can support my mom while she's here.
thanks.

Basically, you have to show that you have sufficient funds to cover visitor's expenses here without leaving them to public charge. So, you have to show that you have on-going employment with steady income and Bank stmt from all of your souces.

On the other end, visitor can also show finances for their end like bank accounts, assets,... that we have funds to cover the duration of trip.

Like you said, I noticed most of the parents are being sponsored by their daughters.

Visitor visa issued to parents in 3rd attempt

My to-be in-laws just got 10yr mutlple entry B2 visa endorsed in their passport.
They were rejected twice in 2003.

The only difference this time was we concentrated on their presentation skills. We had a lot of mock interviews sessions with them. The end result was that they were able to give to the point precise answers in their interview.
I understand that a lot of people complain that they are rejected without being asked any questions. I guess there is no golden formula that can be applied but prepping parents does help. When they are prepared they come across a lot more confident and can communicate their point effectively.

Parents visa got rejected twice!!

Hello.

My parents applied for their visitors visa for the first time in Feb. 2002 and were rejected with 214(b) reasons. Then they applied again on June 30th 2005 and were rejected again with same reasons. The Indian lady behind the counter didn't even look at the documents that I had sent and said "I dont think you will return to India" and rejected the case. I'm a permanent resident and own a house, work a decent job. My parents own a house, business, etc and still.. Would appreciate any input from gurus here!!!
Does the congress man letter really helps? How to go about it? Whats the format? Also, Priya_23 would appreciate your input about mock interviews. My email id is ksibal@hotmail.com..
Are there any visa consultants who can help? This was the experience at Delhi Embassy. Thanks in advance.

Proof of last 19 years of residence

Hi all,

My In-laws were put in admin processing for 2 months after 1st interview and now they have received a letter asking for last 19 years of residential proof. They have lived at 2-3 palces in last 19 yrs. They are given only 10 days notice to bring all this information.

Does anyone has any idea what should be shown as a residentail proof for last 19 yrs - some kind of affidavit, or Police clearance Cerificate, or what? Any suggestions or information would be helpful?

Thanks
:)