Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

Hi, I have an interview scheduled in early March and have a quick question about tax transcripts.
I already ordered and received tax transcripts for the year 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006 and plan to file tax for the year 2010 in a couple weeks.
My question is... for the year 2010, can I just bring copies (printouts) of my tax returns (after I file tax) or should I request a tax transcript for the year 2010 as well from IRS?
Even if I do request transcript for 2010, I'm afraid I might not be able to receive it in time to bring it to the interview.
Would an officer make a big deal out of it if I just bring copies of my tax returns for 2010?
Thanks!

09/23/2010 : Priority Date
10/21/2010 : FP Completed
01/25/2010 : Case transferred to the local office (via email)
01/28/2010 : Received Interview Letter
03/03/2010 : Interview scheduled

Hi, I have an interview scheduled in early March and have a quick question about tax transcripts.
I already ordered and received tax transcripts for the year 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006 and plan to file tax for the year 2010 in a couple weeks.
My question is... for the year 2010, can I just bring copies (printouts) of my tax returns (after I file tax) or should I request a tax transcript for the year 2010 as well from IRS?
Even if I do request transcript for 2010, I'm afraid I might not be able to receive it in time to bring it to the interview.
Would an officer make a big deal out of it if I just bring copies of my tax returns for 2010?
Thanks!

were you requested to bring tax transcripts ?

Hi big-bird,

Those (myself included) who are applying for a citizenship based on a marriage to a US citizen will need to bring the last 3 years worth of tax transcripts to the interview. I am just wondering about whether I will need to bring one for the year 2010, too.

Hi big-bird,

Those (myself included) who are applying for a citizenship based on a marriage to a US citizen will need to bring the last 3 years worth of tax transcripts to the interview. I am just wondering about whether I will need to bring one for the year 2010, too.

Hi marissa

if you itemize your tax return this year and for other tax situations ( like mortgage interested deduction ) , the IRS wont start processing them until the middle of February.
It is due to the fact that congress was late in renewing some tax laws at the end of last year.
If you go to a local IRS office , they could provide you the tax transcripts right away , but i don't know if your 2010 return would be available before the end of the month .
The best i believe you could do , is to get 2007 to 2009 and bring a receipt showing that the IRS accepted your tax return for 2010 ( make sure you efile ) .

Hi marissa

if you itemize your tax return this year and for other tax situations ( like mortgage interested deduction ) , the IRS wont start processing them until the middle of February.
It is due to the fact that congress was late in renewing some tax laws at the end of last year.
If you go to a local IRS office , they could provide you the tax transcripts right away , but i don't know if your 2010 return would be available before the end of the month .
The best i believe you could do , is to get 2007 to 2009 and bring a receipt showing that the IRS accepted your tax return for 2010 ( make sure you efile ) .

Thank you, big bird!

marisso07's recent posts shed a bit of light on the current Atlanta timeline. Back on December 30th she posted that she applied in "mid September". According to this week's posts, she now has an interview scheduled in "early March". Mid September to early March has to be in the 5.5 to 6 month range. So the Atlanta DO does seem slow at present.

My spouse has a PD in early November and latest update on his case was a YL at the beginning of January. Judging by Marissa's timeline, I guess my spouse might expect an interview date in late April or early May. But this is completely speculative, unfortunately.

That's slow

Yeah, according to marissa's record (BTW, thanks for posting the info), minimum 5.5 months of processing N-400 seems to be right. I am kinda trying to remember why I moved here in Georgia. :)

01/03/2011 : Received Date
01/03/2011 : Priority Date
01/27/2011 : Rec. FP Letter
02/02/2011 : FP Scheduled
01/28/2011 : Early Walkin FP Done

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that finally I became US citizen as of Jan 27th 2011. I applied for my US passport at USA consulate in Dubai and expected to get it within 10 days. I would like to thank each and everyone one for your unselfish support and guidance. May God bless you. Please feel free to contact me if you need any procedural information. Once again bundle of thanx.

Atlanta is taking about 5 to 6 months from PD to ID which is slower than other DO's. Atleast it is good to be aware about ball park timeline to wait our turn. Waiting for the case transfer email :)

Thanks!

marissa, You can show the copy of the tax that you keep for your records. If both you and your spouse got W2s for 2010, it would be good to have them with you for the interview.

marissa, You can show the copy of the tax that you keep for your records. If both you and your spouse got W2s for 2010, it would be good to have them with you for the interview.

centella -- Thanks! Bringing W2s for 2010 is a great idea! I didn't think of that. I will make sure to bring them along with receipts I printed out. Thank you!

Status Change Update...

Got the email stating the "Case has been transferred to Local Office", the status has been changed from RFE to Testing and Interview. Will update once I receive the IL.

Early FP in Atlanta

Last Friday, I went to ASC and had FP done via early walkin. According to posts here, I guess I have to wait for at least 1-2 months to get notified for interview. For early walkin, I got ASC around 2-3pm and was able to get in without any problem. Hope this helps.

Statcomp,

My mom will be applying next week for citizenship. She's planning on going to Phoenix AZ for couple of months on job. How soon do you think she can expect FP notice and how soon can she go to ASC for early fingerprinting.

Thanks for your help in advance.

My mom will be applying next week for citizenship. She's planning on going to Phoenix AZ for couple of months on job. How soon do you think she can expect FP notice and how soon can she go to ASC for early fingerprinting.

According to my case and others posted here, it takes 20-30 days after PD to get the FP notice. As long as she gets the FP notice in her hand, she can go to ASC for early walkin FP. And again according to posts here, 2pm-3pm period would be good for early walkin because ASC might ask you to come back in that time otherwise. Hope this helps

Hi,

Just an update on my case. I was an undecided case, post interview, and I've received a decision. I've heard from my lawyers that the local office had a backlog of unresolved cases that they were committed to working down in January. Looks like I was one that they worked on, but they had others. No idea whether that's contributed to any slow down in processing new cases.

For people asking about taxes, I was interviewed at the end of last year, well out of tax season. I brought *everything* to the interview and they didn't ask me a single question outside of the ones they had to ask about civics and what was on the application.

08/13/2010 : Received Date
08/13/2010 : Priority Date
08/24/2010 : Rec. FP Letter
09/08/2010 : FP Scheduled
09/08/2010 : FP Done
10/22/2010 : Email from USCIS saying that case had been transferred to local office
10/22/2010 : (later in the day) yellow letter arrives...
10/23/2010 : Interview Letter
12/02/2010 : Interview, case undecided
02/07/2011 : N445 issued, notice of Naturalization
02/25/2011 : Oath Date

Congratulations, Becky!

There definitely does appear to have been a slowdown in processing new cases since last summer. I've collected the data from people's postings on this forum, and Atlanta filers with priority dates in June, July and August 2010 had an average time from Priority Date to Interview Date of 107 days. That's based on 15 cases, and the variation among them is not very great: the minimum time was 95 days and the maximum was 114.

Since August, however, we see six filers with PD in September, October and November. (My interest in all this is that my spouse filed in November). The first of that group, marissa07 (PD 9/23/2010) just recently received an IL, with ID set to 3/3/11. That's 161 days from PD to ID - a huge jump from the samples of the previous months. An early-October filer, kovaiGC, recently reported his case transferred, so I expect he or she will get an IL soon. I presume the other Sep/Oct/Nov filers are looking at a wait as long as marissa07's, at least.

However, there is one anomaly.The last person in my sample, N400Atlanta, claims to have PD of 11/12/2010, FP on 12/8/2010 and ID of 2/17/2011. That's only 97 days from PD to ID and this seems bizarre compared with the group of people before him or her, all of whom filed earlier and are still waiting on an IL (five cases) or have an ID set later than N400Atlanta's, although they filed a couple of months earlier.

marisso07's recent posts shed a bit of light on the current Atlanta timeline. Back on December 30th she posted that she applied in "mid September". According to this week's posts, she now has an interview scheduled in "early March". Mid September to early March has to be in the 5.5 to 6 month range. So the Atlanta DO does seem slow at present.

Hi,

My lawyer, who interacts with the local office fairly frequently, said that they were trying to process a backlog of cases. Since I was someone waiting for a decision (after an undecided) in the context of the conversation I took to mean that they were prioritizing clearing out this backlog. I wonder whether this has slowed down the processing of new cases...

becky

Congratulations, Becky!

There definitely does appear to have been a slowdown in processing new cases since last summer. I've collected the data from people's postings on this forum, and Atlanta filers with priority dates in June, July and August 2010 had an average time from Priority Date to Interview Date of 107 days. That's based on 15 cases, and the variation among them is not very great: the minimum time was 95 days and the maximum was 114.

Sorry, I saw this message after replying to the previous one. The USCIS is reporting that the average time is up 5.1 months from 5 months. My experience of my almost 4 year wait for a greencard was that there were always anomalies, the "lucky ones" as I also called them :)... I'll have another opportunity to interact with my lawyers to give them news of my notification. I'll try to ask what's going on again... see if I can get any more information.

becky

Hi,

Just an update on my case. I was an undecided case, post interview, and I've received a decision. I've heard from my lawyers that the local office had a backlog of unresolved cases that they were committed to working down in January. Looks like I was one that they worked on, but they had others. No idea whether that's contributed to any slow down in processing new cases.

Becky,

I am glad that you got your approval!!!

My PD was just five days after yours. Then, every post you placed with the advance of your case gave me hope when I was anxious.
I felt sorry when I read about how your interview went, but seeing other cases that ended up undecided in the interview and approved later make me felt that there would be a positive outcome.

Congratulations!!!

PD: if your Oath is at 8:00am go prepared for the weather. The line starts growing around 7:40am. They open at 8:00am but the entry process is very slow due to the security checks. So, don't be surprised if you have to wait outside of the building more than 30 minutes.