Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

You are right. After YL there is a long wait. Not sure if any Atlanta Sep/Oct filers got their interview letter. Waiting for the IL :(

Received Email and Text message yesterday that my case was transfered to local office Hope this is good news for my fellow November Filers. Then again it may be a while before I can get the Interview Letter. But to me at least any progress is positive progress

That's great news, N400Atlanta! You seem to be quite lucky, as there are Sep/Oct filers such as calhoun and ATL2010-N400 whose cases have not progressed as quickly as your's. My spouse filed a week ahead of you, but his YL came later and his case has yet to be transferred.

DO: Atlanta
2010/11/05: RD, PD
2010/11/08: ND, check cashed
2010/11/22: FP notice rec'd
2010/11/30: FP sched and done
2011/01/03: YL rec'd

You are indeed lucky. My PD is Oct 5th have not received the Case Transferred to Local Office Email. After calling customer service they mentioned it is in the interview queue and asked me wait for 30 days and call back.

Keeping my fingers crossed and waiting:(

Looks like there is some delay in N400 processing in the Atlanta DO. As of Nov 30,2010 the last N400 processed was with PD Jun 29,2010. We will know current position when site is updated.

Field Office Processing Dates for Atlanta GA as of: November 30, 2010

Form Form Name Processing Timeframe:
I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status 4 Months
N-400 Application for Naturalization June 29, 2010
N-600 Application for Certification of Citizenship 5 Months

The holidays and snow will cause more delays

I have seem some questions about the time between Yellow Letter and Case Transfer to Local Offices. I also understand the anxiety on the folks that are still waiting. This is what I guess happens during the process.

The yellow letter seems to be sent by the national center where the application is sent. The case transfer notice, I think, is send by the DO, once the DO has scheduled the Interview.

Even though, Christmas and New Years where on a Saturday, the government employees get a day off either Friday or Monday, plus Thanks giving, plus the snow.. It all will add up to more than a week... So people who applied after September should expect longer waiting times.

I did apply in August 18 2010 and it took:
81 days to get the interview letter.
111 days for the interview.
132 days to get oath letter, and
162 day for the oath

08/18/2010: PD
08/26/2010: FP Letter (received 08/30/2010)
09/10/2010: FP Scheduled
10/20/2010: Yellow Letter (received 10/28/2010)
10/29/2010: Transfer to local office
11/01/2010: Interview Letter (received 11/06/2010)
12/07/2010: Interview Scheduled (Passed)
12/28/2010: Oath Letter (received 01/03/2011)
01/27/2011: Oath Ceremony

Interview Letter is here

Yeah all I received my Interview Letter Today. Just Updating my Signature and very very excited. Best to you all

I'm not a lawyer at all. However in my experience unless the ticket was a DUI (alcohol or controlled substance related) I wouldn't even bother putting it on the application. If I was doing this, my answer would probably be NO.

Congratulations, N400Atlanta!

It goes to show, though, that the ways of USCIS are just not predictable. The current page of this Atlanta thread shows several people who have not yet received IL but have PDs ahead of yours:

Name PD FP ID
ATL2010-N400 9/30/10 10/22/10 ?
kovaiGC 10/6/10 11/2/10 ?
calhoun 10/20/10 11/16/10 ?
anxiouscdn2-sp 11/5/10 11/30/10 ?
N400Atlanta 11/12/10 12/8/10 2/17/11

Thanks Anxiouscdn2 for consilidating the info. N400Atlanta is indeed lucky. Not sure if any of you checked the Atlanta Field Office timeline. It was last updated on 11/30/2010 and it shows the last N400 processed was dated 06/29/2010. Looking at that I was thinking the whole Atlanta is slower than the national average of 5 month time frame, but that does not seem right as well.

Customer Service asked me to wait until Feb 5 and call them if I don't receive teh IL by then. So I guess time will tell...

Congratulations, N400Atlanta!

It goes to show, though, that the ways of USCIS are just not predictable. The current page of this Atlanta thread shows several people who have not yet received IL but have PDs ahead of yours:

Name PD FP ID
ATL2010-N400 9/30/10 10/22/10 ?
kovaiGC 10/6/10 11/2/10 ?
calhoun 10/20/10 11/16/10 ?
anxiouscdn2-sp 11/5/10 11/30/10 ?
N400Atlanta 11/12/10 12/8/10 2/17/11

Hi,

I had an interview on 12/2, and my case was undecided. I've heard nothing from the USCIS, although the officer who interviewed me said that they just needed the supervisor to check something which she hoped to get done on the same day.

Any tips on calling the customer support line. I tried some years ago when I was applying for a greencard, and I spent two days on hold.

becky

08/13/2010 : Received Date
08/13/2010 : Priority Date
08/24/2010 : Rec. FP Letter
09/08/2010 : FP Scheduled
09/08/2010 : FP Done
10/22/2010 : Email from USCIS saying that case had been transferred to local office
10/22/2010 : (later in the day) yellow letter arrives...
10/23/2010 : Interview Letter
12/02/2010 : Interview, case undecided

Hi

I am about to file my N-400 - I have a question - if some one has any inputs please pass on!!!
1) Is it advisable to get US citizenship for both my self & my wfie or just for one of us - pros & cons of both these options?

Thanks

Since you are asking this question, I will assume that both you and your wife are both Permanent Residents. Either one of you (you and your wife) have to qualify for Naturalization independent of each other as the code reads. The only concerns would be the citizenship requirements of your former nationality. Whether you former country allows for dual citizenship and also if they don’t then what that means to you. Obviously you should take Naturalization seriously; the oath requires that you give up allegiance to other nations. Now if any of the above requirements would pose a challenge to your wife, she may want to get naturalized later as of right. Otherwise your naturalization process is very much independent of your wife's and even the interviews will be different times
Hi

I am about to file my N-400 - I have a question - if some one has any inputs please pass on!!!
1) Is it advisable to get US citizenship for both my self & my wfie or just for one of us - pros & cons of both these options?

Thanks

Since you are asking this question, I will assume that both you and your wife are both Permanent Residents. Either one of you (you and your wife) have to qualify for Naturalization independent of each other as the code reads. The only concerns would be the citizenship requirements of your former nationality. Whether you former country allows for dual citizenship and also if they don’t then what that means to you. Obviously you should take Naturalization seriously; the oath requires that you give up allegiance to other nations. Now if any of the above requirements would pose a challenge to your wife, she may want to get naturalized later as of right. Otherwise your naturalization process is very much independent of your wife's and even the interviews will be different times

Yes we both have our Green cards. We are from India. I have worked here in USA for about 20 years now. My wife doesn't work. I have accumulated all the required SSN credits. In this scenerio - If I become US citizen and she gives up her Green card and stays as Indian citizen and we both live in India for the next say 10 to 15 years and come back to USA at the time of retirement (me using my US citizenship) and my wife with say a 10 year multiple entry visitor visa (6 months in USA & 6 months in India) - are there any issue with this approach either with retirement benefits or medicare etc.?
Thanks for your prompt reply

fingerprint on last Friday (1/28/2011)

Last Friday, I went to ASC and had FP done via early walkin. According to posts here, I guess I have to wait for at least 1-2 months to get notified for interview. For early walkin, I got ASC around 2-3pm and was able to get in without any problem. Hope this helps.

BTW, my web case status has not been changed since last Friday. My friend said that his changed on the date he had fingerprint. Which one is normal?

01/03/2011 : Received Date
01/03/2011 : Priority Date
01/27/2011 : Rec. FP Letter
02/02/2011 : FP Scheduled
01/28/2011 : Early Walkin FP Done

Last Friday, I went to ASC and had FP done via early walkin. According to posts here, I guess I have to wait for at least 1-2 months to get notified for interview. For early walkin, I got ASC around 2-3pm and was able to get in without any problem. Hope this helps.

BTW, my web case status has not been changed since last Friday. My friend said that his changed on the date he had fingerprint. Which one is normal?

01/03/2011 : Received Date
01/03/2011 : Priority Date
01/27/2011 : Rec. FP Letter
02/02/2011 : FP Scheduled
01/28/2011 : Early Walkin FP Done

Your experience is normal. Your friend's experience is highly unexpected - unless USCIS has recently changed their system. In the last year, the norm has been for case status to remain at RFE (fingerprinting) for a long time, until it finally changes to "transferred to local office".

Judging by recent experience, you'll be lucky indeed if you see an interview letter in under two months after fingerprinting. People fingerprinted in October and November are still waiting.

Judging by recent experience, you'll be lucky indeed if you see an interview letter in under two months after fingerprinting. People fingerprinted in October and November are still waiting.

Hmm...I thought that's because there were only 5 oath ceremonies in the last year in Atlanta. And I hoped 8 ceremonies in this year would expedite this citizenship process.. But I guess low expectation would be good for my health. :)

Thanks for your reply.

Hmm...I thought that's because there were only 5 oath ceremonies in the last year in Atlanta. And I hoped 8 ceremonies in this year would expedite this citizenship process.. But I guess low expectation would be good for my health. :)

Thanks for your reply.

You must be doing a name change as part of your naturalization? I know Atlanta has a long wait for judicial oath ceremonies, but last year they were having an administrative oath ceremony at the Atlanta DO most days. Almost all Atlanta filers on this forum last year had their oath the same day as their interview. (Just read up this thread to see that!)