Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

I got my IL on Saturday (02/12/2011) for 03/16 but my Spouse did not get it yet. Hope it arrives this week.

The indicates to bring GC, Any Evidence of Selective Service Reg, PP. I Entered US when I was 30, do I need any thing related to to Selective Service?

Becky,

I am glad that you got your approval!!!

My PD was just five days after yours. Then, every post you placed with the advance of your case gave me hope when I was anxious.
I felt sorry when I read about how your interview went, but seeing other cases that ended up undecided in the interview and approved later make me felt that there would be a positive outcome.

Congratulations!!!

PD: if your Oath is at 8:00am go prepared for the weather. The line starts growing around 7:40am. They open at 8:00am but the entry process is very slow due to the security checks. So, don't be surprised if you have to wait outside of the building more than 30 minutes.

Thanks Centella, and congratulations.

My oath is 1pm thankfully, but I know there will still be a bit of a line to get into the building. I can't tell you how good it feels thinking that it'll soon be over. I don't suppose I will fully believe it until I'm holding that bit of paper!

What happens during the Oath Ceremony?

becky

Thanks Centella, and congratulations.

What happens during the Oath Ceremony?

becky

It is like a graduation ceremony without long speeches :)
Just a short message from the President, and a video about the diversity of the applicants.

I got my IL on Saturday (02/12/2011) for 03/16 but my Spouse did not get it yet. Hope it arrives this week.

The indicates to bring GC, Any Evidence of Selective Service Reg, PP. I Entered US when I was 30, do I need any thing related to to Selective Service?

No, you are not required to show anything related to Selective Service. I enter the US when I was 27.

I just started to look at the N-400 application. Here is my case: I and my wife both got our GC's in 2004 August. We then left to India on March 21, 2005 and came back to USA on March 11, 2006 (stayed outside U.S.A for about 355 days - slighlty less than a year. I did not even apply for any travel documents during that period. I was working for an Indian firm during that time. I have not maintained any thing in U.S except bank A/Cs. I filed all tax returns as resident.

After March 11, 2006 - we have been staying in USA for more time. I lived outside USA for total 314 days in the last 5 years (around 2 months each time i travel to India - and i traveled every year back home). My wife stayed in India little longer - total 458 days in the last 5 years (one of her trips lasted for about 4 and half months).

Now that we are completing almost 5 years from March 11, 2006 - we plan to file our applications some time this month.

Questions: (1) Are there any issues with filing now - almost 4 years and 11 months since our long trip back to India) or should I wait till complete 5 years and file only on or after March 11, 2011.
(2) Tax transacripts - only from federal government or State government also?
(3) Do I have to send both applications (mine & my wife's) in the same packet or post them separatley
(4) What is the preferred method of posting?

Best Regards
Babu & Sita

Hi,
when you receive e-mail from immigration what does it says on the header... I have Hotmail account and all the e-mails goes to junk i wonder that i might not miss it.

10/18/2010 - N-400 Mailed - LEWISVILLE
10/20/2010 received date
10/20/2010 priority date
10/25/2010 notice date
10/26/2010 Check encashed
10/28/2010 FP letter rec'd
11/16/2010 FP scheduled
12/20/2010: yp arrived

Calhoun

Went to the ATL Immigration office this morning. Arrived at the USCIS Local Office, at 6:45AM for the 7:15AM appointment everything went smooth. The appointment was good passed and then was asked to come back at 2:00PM for the oath ceremony. Everything is done officially a US Citizen

Went to the ATL Immigration office this morning. Arrived at the USCIS Local Office, at 6:45AM for the 7:15AM appointment everything went smooth. The appointment was good passed and then was asked to come back at 2:00PM for the oath ceremony. Everything is done officially a US Citizen

Congrats N400Atlanta!! Your case was extremely fast - took 3 months while other people took 5-6 months. I wonder the reason except for being lucky.

Hi Calhoun,

Sub Line: Case Status Change for Receipt#: .......

Inside the body it will say - THe last Processing action on your case .... Receipt Number.....N400

The email is from USCIS and you should have signed up for case status updates to receive the email. Alternatively if you have missed the email you can check the case status online punching your receipt number.

Hi,
when you receive e-mail from immigration what does it says on the header... I have Hotmail account and all the e-mails goes to junk i wonder that i might not miss it.

10/18/2010 - N-400 Mailed - LEWISVILLE
10/20/2010 received date
10/20/2010 priority date
10/25/2010 notice date
10/26/2010 Check encashed
10/28/2010 FP letter rec'd
11/16/2010 FP scheduled
12/20/2010: yp arrived

Calhoun

I apologise this may be the wrong place for this, but I'm not quite sure where else to post it. My Oath Ceremony is this Friday and soon I have a trip to Canada coming up, so I thought I would immediately head from the ceremony to the Northlake Post Office and apply for a passport. They have no appointment required and its close by.

Do they take your Naturalization Certificate as part of the application process? I can't tell from the description of the process... and I am sure I also need it to redo my I-9 for my employer and show it at the Social Security Administration. ANy help would be most appreciated. thanks,

becky

On Form N-400 Page - 7, section C. Continuous Residence - there is this question 13:
Since becoming a lawful permanent resident of the united states - have you ever called yourself a "nonresident" on a Federal, State or local tax return?

The question I have is - If we answer No on this - do we have to submit anything additional along with N-400?

In my case, I got my GC in 2004 but during 2005, i lived in US (California) only for 80 days and so I filed Federal as Resident but Non-resident for California during year 2005. From 2006 onwards (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010 - last 5 years) I have been filing as resident (Both federal as well as State).

Also I dont think i can get my tax transcript for year 2005 now - So is there a way that USCIS know about what i filed during 2005?

Any suggestions on how to handle this is helpful.

IL Recd.

09/27/2010: N-400 Sent - Lewisville, TX (via Priority Mail, Delivery Confirmation)
09/30/2010: N-400 Recd. USPS Fwd. to Dallas,TX(Priority Date)
10/04/2010: Checks Cashed.
10/08/2010: NOA Received
10/12/2010: Rec. FP letter
10/22/2010: FP Scheduled (Atlanta, GA)
11/29/2010: YL Received (To bring DL)
02/18/2011: IL Received
03/15/2011: Interview Date

On Form N-400 Page - 7, section C. Continuous Residence - there is this question 13:
Since becoming a lawful permanent resident of the united states - have you ever called yourself a "nonresident" on a Federal, State or local tax return?

The question I have is - If we answer No on this - do we have to submit anything additional along with N-400?

In my case, I got my GC in 2004 but during 2005, i lived in US (California) only for 80 days and so I filed Federal as Resident but Non-resident for California during year 2005. From 2006 onwards (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010 - last 5 years) I have been filing as resident (Both federal as well as State).

Also I dont think i can get my tax transcript for year 2005 now - So is there a way that USCIS know about what i filed during 2005?

did you filled for 2005 in the state you lived before California?

I apologise this may be the wrong place for this, but I'm not quite sure where else to post it. My Oath Ceremony is this Friday and soon I have a trip to Canada coming up, so I thought I would immediately head from the ceremony to the Northlake Post Office and apply for a passport. They have no appointment required and its close by.

Do they take your Naturalization Certificate as part of the application process? I can't tell from the description of the process... and I am sure I also need it to redo my I-9 for my employer and show it at the Social Security Administration. ANy help would be most appreciated. thanks,

becky

Becky,

First, check with the post office directly about the appointment. The web site shows that the office close to my house does not require appointment. However, when I went over there, they ask me for my appointment. I was lucky that one of the ladies took my application. Although the other lady did not liked it.

Second, They say that the regular process would take 4 to 6 weeks, but I got my passport in 17 days. Therefore if you pay express you may get it one week earlier.

Third, you have to send the original certificate. It will be returned to you with your passport (in a different package). At the ceremony, they recommend to make a copy of the certificate before sending it with the passport application.

Also, you may want to consider applying for a passport card which can be used in lieu of the passport book to travel to Canada and Mexico. It does not delay the process.

The form you would have used to do your California taxes is called "Long Form 540NR" and is to be used by "California Nonresident or Part-Year Resident".

Part IV of this form "Long Form 540NR" will show your California Taxable Income.

Based on the information you provided you were a Part-year resident for the year where you spent 80 days in California.

You can answer the question as "No", as long as you also filed state taxes for the other state that you were a resident of. (As centella has stated in his/her response above)

I moved into California and was a part year resident for 6 weeks in a certain tax year and had to file the same "Long Form 540NR".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Everybody,

I have not paying attention to my citizenship application since recently we had new addition to our family. I registered USCIS case status online and found that my status is "Request for Evidence" with the message below:

On October 27, 2010, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

The following is my case history:
10/12/2010: Application mail date
10/28/2010: FP Notice Date
11/12/2010: FP Scheduled
11/XX/2010: Yellow Letter

By looking at the FP notice date and the RFE date, it sounds like they are same. Let me know if I am wrong. Anybody in the same boat or in the same timeline?

Any insight is highly appreciated.

RT

Becky,

First, check with the post office directly about the appointment. The web site shows that the office close to my house does not require appointment. However, when I went over there, they ask me for my appointment. I was lucky that one of the ladies took my application. Although the other lady did not liked it.

Second, They say that the regular process would take 4 to 6 weeks, but I got my passport in 17 days. Therefore if you pay express you may get it one week earlier.

Third, you have to send the original certificate. It will be returned to you with your passport (in a different package). At the ceremony, they recommend to make a copy of the certificate before sending it with the passport application.

Also, you may want to consider applying for a passport card which can be used in lieu of the passport book to travel to Canada and Mexico. It does not delay the process.

Thank you so much, again, Centella. I really appreciate it. These forums only work because you give your time and effort to helping people like me.

becky

Hello Everybody,

I have not paying attention to my citizenship application since recently we had new addition to our family. I registered USCIS case status online and found that my status is "Request for Evidence" with the message below:

On October 27, 2010, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

The following is my case history:
10/12/2010: Application mail date
10/28/2010: FP Notice Date
11/12/2010: FP Scheduled
11/XX/2010: Yellow Letter

By looking at the FP notice date and the RFE date, it sounds like they are same. Let me know if I am wrong. Anybody in the same boat or in the same timeline?

Any insight is highly appreciated.

RT

Congratulations on the new arrival. Yes, this is normal. Assuming you went for your fingerprinting as scheduled, you should just keep waiting for your IL. People with timelines slightly before yours have just been getting IL very recently, so your timeline seems normal-for-now. Atlanta has been slow to schedule interviews lately, except for N400Atlanta who whizzed through the process. :)