Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

Hello Everybody,

I have not paying attention to my citizenship application since recently we had new addition to our family. I registered USCIS case status online and found that my status is "Request for Evidence" with the message below:

On October 27, 2010, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

The following is my case history:
10/12/2010: Application mail date
10/28/2010: FP Notice Date
11/12/2010: FP Scheduled
11/XX/2010: Yellow Letter

By looking at the FP notice date and the RFE date, it sounds like they are same. Let me know if I am wrong. Anybody in the same boat or in the same timeline?

Any insight is highly appreciated.

RT

Indeed, the request for evidence is the FP process. Your status will change when they have an appointment for your interview. It will show as "Testing and Interview". Which, by your case history, may happen very soon.

Really, the status on USCIS webpage does not work very well. My process finished almost one month ago, and the status is still "Testing and Interview."

Our Info:

Field Office Atlanta, GA

01/14/2011 - N 400 mailed Dallas, TX
01/19/2011 - Received/Priority Date
01/24/2011 - Acceptance Text/Email
01/26/2011 - FP notice date
01/29/2011 - FP letter received
02/14/2011 - FP done
02/15/2011 - Spouse FP done
02/25/2011 - got email/text that cases transferred to Local office- Atlanta

The form you would have used to do your California taxes is called "Long Form 540NR" and is to be used by "California Nonresident or Part-Year Resident".

Part IV of this form "Long Form 540NR" will show your California Taxable Income.

Based on the information you provided you were a Part-year resident for the year where you spent 80 days in California.

You can answer the question as "No", as long as you also filed state taxes for the other state that you were a resident of. (As centella has stated in his/her response above)

I moved into California and was a part year resident for 6 weeks in a certain tax year and had to file the same "Long Form 540NR".

Thanks Centella, nnanz

after 80 days in California I went straight back to India and never cam back to any toher state during that year - so I filed Federal as resident & CA state as NR (part-year resident) - did not file in any other state?

Update. I went to my Oath Ceremony yesterday. It was about 3 hours long, of which 1.5hrs was processing. They ask you the questions you have already answered on the Oath Ceremony notice form. People who had traffic tickets etc. brought evidence that they had paid them and so forth. You should know the date of your interview, because they'll ask you that and then ask the question about the time since that date.

Ceremony was about 30 minutes. Began with two videos, one about the U.S. and another of the Star Spangled Banner. Then we did the country roll-call. The names of the countries represented (by place of birth) of all the new citizens were called out. When you heard yours you were invited to stand. Then once everyone was standing we all took the Oath. Then, it was time for a video from the President and the song Proud to be an American, and then we filed out to receive our naturalization certificate. They recommend, and it was thoughtful, that you look through it all at the ceremony before leaving to make sure that everything is correct. They offered to amend it there and then if you found a mistake.

Good luck everyone!

becky

Hello Everybody,

I have not paying attention to my citizenship application since recently we had new addition to our family. I registered USCIS case status online and found that my status is "Request for Evidence" with the message below:

On October 27, 2010, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

The following is my case history:
10/12/2010: Application mail date
10/28/2010: FP Notice Date
11/12/2010: FP Scheduled
11/XX/2010: Yellow Letter

By looking at the FP notice date and the RFE date, it sounds like they are same. Let me know if I am wrong. Anybody in the same boat or in the same timeline?

Any insight is highly appreciated.

RT

Don’t worry I am on the same boat, your dates exactly matches mine along with getting the same message on USCIS web sight

10/18/2010 - N-400 Mailed - LEWISVILLE
10/20/2010 received date
10/20/2010 priority date
10/25/2010 notice date
10/26/2010 Check cashed
10/28/2010 FP letter rec'd
11/16/2010 FP scheduled
12/20/2010: yp arrived

Wrong zipcode?

Hi guys,

I have an interview this Thursday and have a quick question about USCIS Address.

On my interview letter, the address of the USCIS is "2150 Parklake Drive, NE, 2nd floor, Atlanta GA 30354".
When I punch in this address in Google map, zipcode comes out as 30345.
Is it a simple typo on the USCIS?
I understand this is a very minor, but with interview coming up in a few days, I guess I'm just nervous and don't wanna take any chance.

Thanks in advance!

09/23/2010 : Priority Date
10/21/2010 : FP Completed
01/25/2010 : Case transferred to the local office (via email)
01/28/2010 : Received Interview Letter
03/03/2010 : Interview scheduled

Hi guys,

I have an interview this Thursday and have a quick question about USCIS Address.

On my interview letter, the address of the USCIS is "2150 Parklake Drive, NE, 2nd floor, Atlanta GA 30354".
I understand this is a very minor, but with interview coming up in a few days, I guess I'm just nervous and don't wanna take any chance.

Thanks in advance!

Must be a typo, if you check on the USCIS web site, the address is consistent with what you got from google maps.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.detail&office=ATL&OfficeLocator.office_type=LO&OfficeLocator.zipcode=30354

I received Yellow Letter yesterday, and it only ask to bring state issued picture Id, I hope it is just common for every body. My online status says, case has been transfered to local office on Jan 4,2011. Actually that date was my appplication received date.
Do they send Yellow letter after file transfer to local office or before ?

Recived date- Jan 4, 2011.
Priroty date- Jan 6, 2011.
Finger print notice received- Jan 18, 2011.
Appontment date- Jan 31, 2011.
Finger Print done(walk in)- Jan 20, 2011.
Yello Letter- Feb 28, 2011

Update again - This is way faster than we expected!!!
Update!

Our Info:

Field Office Atlanta, GA

02/14/2011 - FP done
03/04/2011 - Interview Letter (dated 02/28/2011) received today,
03/30/2011 - Interview date

Last edited by a moderator:
Oath ceremony

Can anybody guide me regarding oath ceremony at Atlanta? Is the oath ceremony usually done on the day of the interview in Atlanta? Is there a way to find out? Thanks

Our Info:

Field Office Atlanta, GA

02/14/2011 - FP done

My husband's priority date is 11/4, he completed the biometrics on 11/30, and the YL was received the first week of January. Since 11/16, the online status remains the same (RFE). It frustrates me that people who have filed months after us are much farther than us in the process. I am aware that we are technically within processing times, but unless we receive an interview letter next week ( highly unlikely), the case will fall out of processing times. Do you all think our timeline warrants an info pass?

WaitinginATL, my husband's situation is virtually identical to your husband's. I've collected all the recent Atlanta timelines I could find from this forum and the associated spreadsheet, and put them in a spreadsheet attached to this post.

What the spreadsheet shows is that for Priority Dates (PD) up until around the end of August, Atlanta processing was running at around 110 days from PD to Interview Date (ID). There was then an abrupt slowdown. The next three people on the spreadsheet, with PDs in late September and early October, have over 160 days from PD to ID. The next four people (including your husband and mine), with PDs ranging from mid October to early November, are still waiting for ILs (Interview Letters). But then it gets really interesting. "N400Atlanta" had a PD of November 12, but whizzed through the process in a mere 97 days. Tahachal (PD 1/6/2011) has already received a YL and I suspect he or she will get an IL soon. luckymaybe (PD 1/19/11) now has an ID of 3/30/11, a mere 70 days from PD!

It seems very unfair, and here's my theory. The statistic that USCIS seems to count is the AVERAGE processing time. So when they fall behind, the DO can better improve their number and look good by pushing through some new applications really fast, rather than by serving their backlog in PD order. If anyone else has an alternative explanation, I'll be interested to hear it.

WaitinginATL, if your husband does do an Infopass, let us know the outcome!

I agree with your assessment of the delay, I can't think of any other logical conclusion. My PD is December 1, 2010 and I'm still waiting.
WaitinginATL, my husband's situation is virtually identical to your husband's. I've collected all the recent Atlanta timelines I could find from this forum and the associated spreadsheet, and put them in a spreadsheet attached to this post.

What the spreadsheet shows is that for Priority Dates (PD) up until around the end of August, Atlanta processing was running at around 110 days from PD to Interview Date (ID). There was then an abrupt slowdown. The next three people on the spreadsheet, with PDs in late September and early October, have over 160 days from PD to ID. The next four people (including your husband and mine), with PDs ranging from mid October to early November, are still waiting for ILs (Interview Letters). But then it gets really interesting. "N400Atlanta" had a PD of November 12, but whizzed through the process in a mere 97 days. Tahachal (PD 1/6/2011) has already received a YL and I suspect he or she will get an IL soon. luckymaybe (PD 1/19/11) now has an ID of 3/30/11, a mere 70 days from PD!

It seems very unfair, and here's my theory. The statistic that USCIS seems to count is the AVERAGE processing time. So when they fall behind, the DO can better improve their number and look good by pushing through some new applications really fast, rather than by serving their backlog in PD order. If anyone else has an alternative explanation, I'll be interested to hear it.

WaitinginATL, if your husband does do an Infopass, let us know the outcome!

Can anybody guide me regarding oath ceremony at Atlanta? Is the oath ceremony usually done on the day of the interview in Atlanta? Is there a way to find out? Thanks

Our Info:

Field Office Atlanta, GA

02/14/2011 - FP done

It will depend on two things. First, the time of your interview. If it is in the morning, lets say before 11:30am it is likely that you may take the oath that same day.

The other is that they have Oath ceremony on that afternoon. The Atlanta office usually have oath ceremonies every day, but I have heard of people who could not take the oath because there was not oath ceremony the day they have the interview.

Thank God atlast i received my IL today update below:

10/18/2010 - N-400 Mailed - LEWISVILLE
10/20/2010 received date
10/20/2010 priority date
10/25/2010 notice date
10/26/2010 Check encashed
10/28/2010 FP letter rec'd
11/16/2010 FP scheduled
11/12/2010: Walk-in FP done
12/20/2010: yp arrived
04/11/2011: Interview Date

My appointment time is 11.45am, hopefully if everything goes fine i will be able to take the Oath same day.

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

Hi marissa07
How was your interview let us know in detail mine is scheduled on 11th April

calhoun,

It's funny you asked because I just logged on to share my interview experience with y'all.

I was scheduled for an 1:15pm interview and arrived at USCIS around 11:45am. After passing through a security, you're supposed to check in on the first floor. When I got there, they had a sign that says you can check in only 30 mins prior to your scheduled interview, so I advise you not to arrive too early because they wouldn't sign you in anyhow.
So, I signed in at 12:45pm, was given a ticket (with number on) and was told to go up to the 3rd floor. I asked the lady at the window if it was 3rd floor for the citizenship interview, not 2nd, because my appointment letter says 2nd -- she assured me that it was the 3rd floor, so up I went.

I actually waited there past 1:15pm and around 2pm, my number was finally called. It was an old white lady who was very friendly and professional.
I was sworn in and she started with my N-400 by basically going through information on me and my husband (I got my green card throuhg a marrige to a citizen), and somehow she couldn't locate my birth certificate (she had a huge stack of documents I've sent to USCIS over the years for I-751 & N-400), so I gave her a copy I had on me. She was very grateful that I had a copy -- make sure to bring a copy of important documents with you as well as the originals (such as green card, passport, marrige certificate, birth certificate etc).

Then she went ahead and gave me a civic test -- 6 questions she asked me were:
-- Who was the first President of the US?
-- What are the 2 national (federal?) holidays in the US?
-- What is the capital of the US?
-- What movements ended the slavery?
-- What do you call the first ten amendments?
-- When is the last day you can pay taxes?

And she asked me to read the following sentence: What is the capital of the United States?
Then she asked me to write the following sentence: Washington, D.C. is the capital of the United States.

I brought a load of documents with me just in case, but she did not ask for anything other than my birth certificate, and OH! I almost forgot... she did ask me for my marriage certificate (original) and my husband's birth certificate (original), but returned them both after taking a look at them.

Overall, it was a very pleasant interview and at the end of the interview, she congratulated me and said she'd recommend me for a citizenship, gave me a pice of paper basically saying I was recommended for a citizenship, and said I would be receiving my oath ceremony letter within a month.

Good luck to all of you, esp. those who are waiting for their interview letters -- I have been there and the wait was killing me!

03/03/2010 : Interview scheduled -- Passed!

It will depend on two things. First, the time of your interview. If it is in the morning, lets say before 11:30am it is likely that you may take the oath that same day.

The other is that they have Oath ceremony on that afternoon. The Atlanta office usually have oath ceremonies every day, but I have heard of people who could not take the oath because there was not oath ceremony the day they have the interview.

Thanks, centella