Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

Atlanta_ Brother or any expert: Need your advice

Atlanta_ Brother:From what I read so far, your case seems to be the only one comparable to my delay. What do you think I should do, hiring a lawer?
Thanks.

PD:2/17/2007
FP:3/23/2007
????

Jojo72,

You don't wanna know my story. I'll tell you in short. I was scheduled for an interview in Jan 2007. I was sent home and was never interviewed by an officer. He told me that I will be rescheduled since my file has not been transferred to the local DO (Atlanta). I called cust service many times & finally came to know that my background check was all done & the file transfer has initiated. This was back in April alright. So it from April, it's a 90 process so expect my file to be transferred by July & I should get a IL within that time frame.
Well no news till Sept before I get another letter that asked me to take my FP again as the first set of FP expired after 15 months. Anyways, the good news was I got my second IL notice exactly after 10 days of my FP. It was scheduled for Oct. I went for the interview, same thing happened. No file, so guess what? No interview. I came home disappointed. I then decided to file a law suit (WOM). My paperwork started in Nov 2007 and in Jan 2008, I was called for the interview again (3rd interview). This time my file was there. Interview went well at 8am & I was able to take the oath the very same day at 2pm. Applied for the passport next day & got it back in 3 weeks.
Let's hope your case goes smooth & get your citizenship in time.

16 months already,NEED HELP:

Suggestions wil be appreciated!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am glad to just find this forum. Seems most you guys have been OK getting interview within 2-5 months. Mine is approaching 16 months, I am really depressed by this seemingly indefinite delay of naturlization process.
I wrote letter/called to USCIS three times, and every time got same cookie cutter letter saying my case is still under background investigation.
Any of you have idea why my case was so slow and how to proceed further? Thanks.
P.S. I travel a lot to overseas(4 times a year), although all short trips.

TXC/Atlanta
Priority date 2/17/2007
???

Suggestions wil be appreciated!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was stuck in name check for about 4 months after my finger print when most people got their letter with in 2 months.
the reasons i speculated for myself are
i had too many addresses in past 5 years.
my first name could spell in 2 ways. i have documents with both names. so i mentioned both the names when i went for finger print.
my finger print did not come well on the screen. so officer had to take my prints several times.
myself and my wife did not apply together.

each case is unique. i guess they randomly pick application for name check.

citizen 400,

My timelines:

PD - 01/19/2007
FP - 02/23/2007

Namecheck started - 02/02/2007

Namecheck finished - 05/20/2008

Still waiting on second FP notice and IL....

Alpinist1 and atltodallas, Thanks for your inputs.
How do you find out name check status? I was only told in the letter that I am still under background check.

Do you guys think hiring an attorney is a good idea? I tried calls and letters, nothing works so far.

????

Wait until Aug

Do you guys think hiring an attorney is a good idea? I tried calls and letters, nothing works so far.

????

Wait until mid of August and if you don't get your IL by then, start preparing for WOM at the end of Aug. By end of this month you should get 2nd FP notice in the mail and then hopefully your IL in July. If nothing happens like I said until end of Aug, WOM is the way to go.

Yes I would hire an attorney to help you with that. The attorney would cost you about $2500 plus the court fees (approx $350). Once you start this WOM (law suit) process, you should be done in 2-3 months.

Let me know if I could be of any help.

Why Auust

Thanks Atlanta_Brother,
Why August? Why you think I may have to do another FP?
Do you have an Atlanta attorney to refer? Thx.

Wait until mid of August and if you don't get your IL by then, start preparing for WOM at the end of Aug. By end of this month you should get 2nd FP notice in the mail and then hopefully your IL in July. If nothing happens like I said until end of Aug, WOM is the way to go.

Yes I would hire an attorney to help you with that. The attorney would cost you about $2500 plus the court fees (approx $350). Once you start this WOM (law suit) process, you should be done in 2-3 months.

Let me know if I could be of any help.
TXC/Atlanta
Priority date 2/17/2007
???

Answers

Thanks Atlanta_Brother,
Why August? Why you think I may have to do another FP?
Do you have an Atlanta attorney to refer? Thx.

TXC/Atlanta
Priority date 2/17/2007
???

Like The RealCanadian just said, FP expires after 15 months and to start WOM process, 18 month mark is what attorneys & people here on the forum will suggest.

I need your valuable suggestion on my situation. I sent my N-400 application to Texas Service Center on May 14th and went to India (I am still in India). I was hoping the fingerprinting notice will take atleast 45 days. But they sent me fingerprinting notice on June 7th and I was scheduled for an interview on June 6th (can you believe I received the notice one day late, even if I am in Atlanta, I can't make it to the appointment). My friend checked my mail and informed me that I received the fingerprinting notice on June 7th. I am still in India and I am not sure about what to do. Some forums says that I am fine and can appear at the fingerprinting office with the notice (even though I am late). Some forums says I should call USCIS and reschedule the fingerprinting appointment. please advise.

Fp

So who is going to pay for FP2, myself, i guess? What's WOM?

Did u have to pay for FP1 so what makes you think you will pay for FP2? FP, interview, oath ceremony and that natz certificate is all part of the N-400 fees you pay to USCIS.

WOM = Writ of Mandamus

You can also search online or google it to get more answers.

I need your valuable suggestion on my situation. I sent my N-400 application to Texas Service Center on May 14th and went to India (I am still in India). I was hoping the fingerprinting notice will take atleast 45 days. But they sent me fingerprinting notice on June 7th and I was scheduled for an interview on June 6th (can you believe I received the notice one day late, even if I am in Atlanta, I can't make it to the appointment). My friend checked my mail and informed me that I received the fingerprinting notice on June 7th. I am still in India and I am not sure about what to do. Some forums says that I am fine and can appear at the fingerprinting office with the notice (even though I am late). Some forums says I should call USCIS and reschedule the fingerprinting appointment. please advise.

Don't worry, either way you can do your FP: whether you call USCIS to reschedule or do a walk in and show up a few days after your original FP date. If you expect to be in India for more than 3-4 weeks after initial FP date then it's suggested that you call USCIS to reschedule the FP. In any case, you should call USCIS and let them know you received IL before FP so that they don't consider your application abandoned.

Alpinist1 and atltodallas, Thanks for your inputs.
How do you find out name check status? I was only told in the letter that I am still under background check.

Send a letter to congressman and First Lady. Letter to the First Lady will be forwarded to FBI, which will (or will not) reply to you informing on the day when the name check has started.

I've sent 3 letters to First Lady. Got 1 reply (only on the first one). But it seems like the 3rd one has cleared the namecheck.

Also, these letters will help you to have a stronger case for filing WOM (like Atlanta Brother suggested), since they will show that you've made every attempt possible to resolve the issue.

Send a letter to congressman and First Lady. Letter to the First Lady will be forwarded to FBI, which will (or will not) reply to you informing on the day when the name check has started.

I've sent 3 letters to First Lady. Got 1 reply (only on the first one). But it seems like the 3rd one has cleared the namecheck.

Also, these letters will help you to have a stronger case for filing WOM (like Atlanta Brother suggested), since they will show that you've made every attempt possible to resolve the issue.

Good idea, maybe I should try something like that. Thanks.

Friends,

I am moving to Atlanta this Saturday from Charlotte, NC..
I am done with FP in charlotte.
Anybody experienced wait time of 90 days to get IL thru this kind of move to Atlanta?
As I know, that 90 days @ local DO is only after sent out N400 or to send N400.
My present status passed that req. thanx..

N400..09/07/07...TSC
FP done in charlotte, NC...02/22/08
Moving to atlanta...06/21/08
(Change of address to atlanta gonna happen on same day)

Last edited by a moderator:
Queued for an interview

How long does it takes these days to get interview scheduled in Atlanta?

I just called 1-800 and IO told me that I cleared FBI on June 11 (after 15 months in name check) and since June 13 queued for an interview. What interview dates people are getting for Atlanta?

IO said that she has seen interviews scheduled as fast as 3 weeks in the queue and then it is 3-4 weeks until the interview from that point. This would make me scheduled by Independence day and I should expect interview to be end of July-early August. What's the latest interview date you've got? Are we in August interviews yet?

(From what I could tell last batch was early-June that was scheduled early-May and letters received late May)

I called 800 number last week and was told they can not accept inquiery since my last one was less than 60 days.
MOCKBA , What's your PD and FP, you didn't do second FP did u? I have to travel again for July, just wondering how that may impact if they send out letter while I am away.

How long does it takes these days to get interview scheduled in Atlanta?

I just called 1-800 and IO told me that I cleared FBI on June 11 (after 15 months in name check) and since June 13 queued for an interview. What interview dates people are getting for Atlanta?

IO said that she has seen interviews scheduled as fast as 3 weeks in the queue and then it is 3-4 weeks until the interview from that point. This would make me scheduled by Independence day and I should expect interview to be end of July-early August. What's the latest interview date you've got? Are we in August interviews yet?

(From what I could tell last batch was early-June that was scheduled early-May and letters received late May)