Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

Dear Atlanta Brother!

It seems the Indian Constitution does not permit dual citizenship. But the closest we can get to dual citizenship is with this OCI registration.

The 'Overseas Citizen of India' terminology is a misnomer, b.....

We used to have a PIO (Person of Indian Origin) Card that is similar to your NICOP. The PIO card's validity is 15 years. We still have that facility, but I do not know who will prefer the PIO to the new OCI card.

Regards,

We still have PIO card facility. PIO card comes in 3-4 weeks OCI takes up to 120 days so if someone is in hurry of travel or relocation they go for PIO. And later one can apply for OCI by paying fee of $25 when one has PIO card.

In fact I am in that Boat.

Thanks,
-Swadesh

My interview and oath experience

First off I just want to say thank you so very much to especially Gatedgal, Atlanta_Brother, ravi1985, Ladybuggy and BobSmyth. Your vast knowledge of matters and your willingness to share your information and experience has made this entire process very easy for me. I know you are all looking at my time line and yes I know I was processed very fast. I do not know for sure why, but I am assuming it has to do with the fact that my spouse is active duty military. Furthermore I have been a GC holder for 11 years, never comitted any crimes, had one traffic ticket in my entire life so far ( not even a fine for that one ), and also have a very unique name. So maybe some if not all those factors contributed to a very speedy process in my case.
My husband, daughter and I arrived at the ATL DO about 45 minutes before my scheduled interview time. Security was a breeze and we were sent to the 3rd floor where at 12:15 I was called in for my interview. My IO was a very nice lady. She was professional and friendly. She went through my application very fast going through all the important points. She did not want to see any documents other then my passport , driver's license and Green Card which she kept. My original n-400 file I sent was very thorough with copies of any if not too many documents they needed e.g. marriage certificate, passport copies, tax returns, birth certificates and so on. As mentioned before I had gotten one minor traffic violation that carried no fine which I had not mentioned on my application. During the interview I did tell my IO and she did not give it any importance. We proceeded to my English test and civics test which very both very easy. I was approved and told to wait outside for my same day oath letter. I was out at about 12:30 and received my oath letter at about 1 p.m and was told to be back at 2.p.m for the ceremony.
At the ceremony there were 200 people from about 60 countries. The place was crowded with people that had scheduled oaths and same day interviews and oaths as well as their families and friends. For me it was an emotional experience. I was not born in an oppressed country and my passport of the Netherlands has always given me the freedoms to travel anywhere, however once I married my American husband and live in the USA now this has become my new home. I have always loved and respected the United States and feel very proud to be part of it now. It is by no means perfect, but which country is. As a matter of fact other then feeling very attached to the USA now and patriotic I also feel responsible in contributing my part in making it an even better country. Be it through continuing to volunteer in my community or participating in the democracy and being aware of wherever I go in the world my actions and demeanor represent the United States of America, my country! :)

In conclusion: Before applying make sure you really want to become an American citizen. I did not have to give up my birth country's citizenship as the Netherlands allows for dual citizenship in certain cases like obtaining your spouse's citizenship. Having said that though if the laws ever change I will pick US citizenship over Dutch as the USA is the place where I happily reside. Before applying if you have any questions please do call the USCIS 1800 number or check forums like these ( this is the best! ). You will see most questions answered and you can avoid mistakes that might cost you time and money in the long run. Fill out your N-400 neatly and do not forget to attach passport pictures, check and copies of all documents needed. In my opinion it is better to send more then needed instead of not enough evidence to support your application. If you are a law abiding honest person like 99% of regular people your application will go through sooner or later. I hope all of you who are still waiting for their interviews and oaths will get their letters soon! BobSmyth I am rooting for ya'!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We just got back from Atlanta and I am dog tired, but I just wanted to quickly share that yes today I had my interview and same day oath. Everything went smoothly and I was much less nervous thanks to this great forum and knowing what to expect. I will write a more detailed message of my experience very soon:)

Congratulations Jojo72... Finally... you are a USC and a nice fast timeline too less than 4 months from start to finish... and thank you for your sharing :D:D:D

Congratulations jojo72..your journey is finally over and your next chapter as a US citizen begins..Bunden i vejret eller resten i håret !! :)

Congratulations, Jojo72 !!

You write well. That was a nice summary of the day.

Remember to sign the naturalization certificate - full name in cursive (not your normal signature) in black ink (preferably with an ink pen and NOT with a ball-point pen).

Get done with the passport application today - but remember to take good color and B&W copies of your naturalization ceritificate before sending it off with the passport applications. If you have any questions, please check out http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=276272.

Good luck to you and your family.

Congrats Jojo72! Glad to see that another person's USCIS nightmare is over!

Here's a quick question for all the recent interviewees. Were you asked to show your birth certificate? I have my original (in Russian), so I'm wondering if I should have it translated and bring it along with me. I've already collected all other documents in JohnnyCash's list.

Congrats Jojo72! .......

Here's a quick question for all the recent interviewees. Were you asked to show your birth certificate? I have my original (in Russian), ......

Vorpal! The IO never asked for any other document (although I had a few of those with me). The only documents they asked were the ones listed on the interview letter -
- The interview letter
- my Indian passport
- my Permanent Resident Card
- & in addition, I handed over a sheet with updated out-of-country travel dates.

Same - in my wife's case too.

Good luck.

Vorpal! The IO never asked for any other document (although I had a few of those with me). The only documents they asked were the ones listed on the interview letter -
- The interview letter
- my Indian passport
- my Permanent Resident Card
- & in addition, I handed over a sheet with updated out-of-country travel dates.

Same - in my wife's case too.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info!

Congrats Jojo72! Glad to see that another person's USCIS nightmare is over!

Here's a quick question for all the recent interviewees. Were you asked to show your birth certificate? I have my original (in Russian), so I'm wondering if I should have it translated and bring it along with me. I've already collected all other documents in JohnnyCash's list.

No they did not ask for my birth certificate

You write well. That was a nice summary of the day.

Remember to sign the naturalization certificate - full name in cursive (not your normal signature) in black ink (preferably with an ink pen and NOT with a ball-point pen).

Get done with the passport application today - but remember to take good color and B&W copies of your naturalization ceritificate before sending it off with the passport applications. If you have any questions, please check out http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=276272.

Thanks ravi1985 :) I was sure to do everything you recommended. I also did the full run around. Went to the DMV and got my new license ( FN status removed ), went to the local Social Security Office and updated my status. And finally went to the Post Office and applied for a passport. I chose the expedited process for no particular reason other then that the lady working there recommended it. Good luck to you and your family too :) Now all that is left to do is register to vote, which I will do tomorrow and call my bank and with that I hope I am actually done. Wooohooo. Correction: I just did both, so yes I am done:)

You write well....... But remember to take good color and B&W copies of your naturalization ceritificate before sending it off with the passport applications. If you have any questions, please check out http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=276272.

It is my understanding one shouldn't take color copy of naturalization certificate. It is illegal and can cause trouble if seen by someone. It was told to me by a Notary public. In fact Naturalization certificate clearly state in front that any type of photocopy is not law ful.

-Swadesh

A friend received Interview Letter

This means fresh batch of interview letters are coming good luck everyone. My friend's details...

N400 sent date 02/14/2008
Finger Printing 04/01/2008
Interview Date 05/14/2008

-Swadesh

Received my Interview Letter in mail today! :D

few questions guys please help me out.

1) i have my interview at 12:45pm what are my chances that i will get same day oath?
2) what form do i need to apply for US passport?
3) do i need to take my spouse US passport or naturalization certificate?

in my notice letter it says:

if applying for naturalization as a the spouse of a US citizen
1) your marriage certificate
2) your spouse's birth or naturalization cerfiticate or certificate of citizenship

thanks

thanks all.

dsmportal! Congratulations!!

1. Get there by 12:00 noon and register your presence at the counter. You may be called in early. You have a good chance of same day oath if you complete your interview by 1:00 pm.

2. As a first-time applicant, you will use Form DS-11 to apply for a new passport. Check out my sticky note at http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=276272.

3. If your eligibility basis for naturalization was as a spouse of a US Citizen (and not based on the 5-year employment based green card), then you have to get those 2 documents - your marriage certificate and your spouse's naturalization certificate. But if it based on the 5-year employment based green card, then you don't need them.

Good luck.

dsmportal! Congratulations!!

1. Get there by 12:00 noon and register your presence at the counter. You may be called in early. You have a good chance of same day oath if you complete your interview by 1:00 pm.

2. As a first-time applicant, you will use Form DS-11 to apply for a new passport. Check out my sticky note at http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=276272.

3. If your eligibility basis for naturalization was as a spouse of a US Citizen (and not based on the 5-year employment based green card), then you have to get those 2 documents - your marriage certificate and your spouse's naturalization certificate. But if it based on the 5-year employment based green card, then you don't need them.

Good luck.

thanks Ravi.

can i take my marriage certificate and my spouse passport ? should i have to take naturalization certificate only?