Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

Swadesh:)
My appointment is at 12:00 on the 19th which is a Saturday. I was going to be there around 11:30. Why do you recommend an earlier time for same day oath?

Some days there are two oaths but today there was one and it was scheduled for 2 PM. I am sure there were many candidates who didn't took oath today due to late interview like 1 PM and afterwards (some could be of 12:00 PM also). Total 165 people from 52 countries took oath and I can say there was almost 150 candidates present during our stay itself until 11:15 AM, which means total candidates interviewed today should have been much larger.

So in your case if you are their early chances of you getting interviewed right at 12:00 or prior increases; which will increases probability of you having oath same day.

Swadesh:)
Also how long did you have to wait after the interview to receive your oath letter??
About 10 minutes.

Swadesh
Sent N-400 TSC 10/02/07
Check cashed 12/21/07
Notice Date - 12/26/07
Priority Date - 10/04/07
Notice (of receipt) received - 12/31/07
FP Notice Receipt Date 01/26/08
FP Date 02/09/2008
Interview Letter Date 03/07/2008
Interview and Oath Date 04/10/2008

my wife got her IL yesterday.
time line
priority date 1/15/2008
FP date 2/26/2008
Interview notice 3/27/2008
Interview date 4/30/2008
If she gets her oath letter on 30th, entire process took just 3 1/2 months. I am still waiting.

Oath and Done.

My interview was on 4/3/2008. I was 5 mins late thanks to ATL Lunch traffic. I was called in after 45 mins and the immigration officer started berating me for being late. After repeated apologies she treated me like a problem 1st grader! I had everything she needed. The questions were from the list of 96. Simple read and write. My officer was just one from hell! It was an unpleasant experience but got my letter for the next week. Please note that you have to sign in on the 2nd floor but move to the third floor for interviews. If your interview is in the afternoon you may have significant delays in security (Oath takers start pouring in at 12:30) so plan ahead.

Oath was much nicer. Long wait but okay. When you go for your oath there are questions on the back of the oath letter. These questions are based on what happened ‘AFTER INTERVIEW’. So read instructions. Many people ticked off you married as ‘Yes’ without reading and had to change later (you’ll know when you read the back of the Oath letter). Do not forget your green card. One bloke did and had to leave the room to get it! Lots of countries were there. I am Indian and saw many there. You can bring guests if you need. The instructions in the room were very clear and simple.

As for the passport, many post offices now need appointments which are available only after a few weeks. I called a superior court that did not require any appointment (walk-in only). So you might want to use that if you are in a hurry. I expect many people to be since summer is very near.

I guess I must have seen you Swadesh.

That’s it from me. If you have any more questions I will be glad to answer.

Good luck to you all. God Bless you all. God bless America!

Last edited by a moderator:
My interview was on 4/3/2008. I was 5 mins late thanks to ATL Lunch traffic. I was called in after 45 mins and the immigration officer started berating me for being late. After repeated apologies she treated me like a problem 1st grader! I had everything she needed. The questions were from the list of 96. Simple read and write. My officer was just one from hell! It was an unpleasant experience but got my letter for the next week. Please note that you have to sign in on the 2nd floor but move to the third floor for interviews. If your interview is in the afternoon you may have significant delays in security (Oath takers start pouring in at 12:30) so plan ahead.

Oath was much nicer. Long wait but okay. When you go for your oath there are questions on the back of the oath letter. These questions are based on what happened ‘AFTER INTERVIEW’. So read instructions. Many people ticked off you married as ‘Yes’ without reading and had to change later (you’ll know when you read the back of the Oath letter). Do not forget your green card. One bloke did and had to leave the room to get it! Lots of countries were there. I am Indian and saw many there. You can bring guests if you need. The instructions in the room were very clear and simple.

As for the passport, many post offices now need appointments which are available only after a few weeks. I called a superior court that did not require any appointment (walk-in only). So you might want to use that if you are in a hurry. I expect many people to be since summer is very near.

Congratulations patienceGC!! Glad to see you made it through..it always makes me wonder why they hire IOs with no people skills..I mean do they even realize that our fees pay for their salaries ??

my wife got her IL yesterday.
time line
priority date 1/15/2008
FP date 2/26/2008
Interview notice 3/27/2008
Interview date 4/30/2008
If she gets her oath letter on 30th, entire process took just 3 1/2 months. I am still waiting.

wow thats good news and i'm still waiting :)

Congrats:)!! May I ask what time your interview was and what time your oath? Same day I assume?

Congrats:)!! May I ask what time your interview was and what time your oath? Same day I assume?

My interview was on 4/03/08 at 1:25. I was late and reached at 1:34. They called my for the interview at 2ish. So I did not make to the oath on the same day. I remember seeing people being called in at 1:30 (on 4/03) and were there at my ceremony (on 4/10). I think if your interview is after 1 PM you might not make it to the oath on the same day.

Good luck.

thanks for the help patienceGC. After taken your and Swadesh advise I will make sure to arrive at a minimum 45 minutes earlier before my scheduled interview time of 12:00 maybe even 60 minutes. The IL states do not come earlier then 30 minutes due to limited seating, but it seems they do not really care if one is early?!

Anyone else out there: No IL & PD August 07 or earlier?

Hello All,
Was wondering if there is anyone else out there (other than myself, Bobsmyth & atlraj :)), with a PD of August '07 or earlier, still waiting for an Interview Letter?

It is just that of late I've been seeing late '07 and early '08 PDs with ILs, and was wondering if my timeline was an exception rather than the rule.

Cheers,
Bambaiyya.

Hello All,
Was wondering if there is anyone else out there (other than myself, Bobsmyth & atlraj :)), with a PD of August '07 or earlier, still waiting for an Interview Letter?

It is just that of late I've been seeing late '07 and early '08 PDs with ILs, and was wondering if my timeline was an exception rather than the rule.

Cheers,
Bambaiyya.

i am still waiting folks. atlraj got his interview already i think.

And, just like that, it's all over!!!

My wife and I had our interviews today (Wed 04/16) at 10:05 am. We left home at 8:45 and made the peaktime journey to the Atlanta DO in the Northlake Mall area. We got there at 9:30 am. There was a long line waiting at the security/entrance. They let us carry our cellphones, books, other stuff. We went to the second floor, logged in our presence at the counter, and took our seats by 9:45 am. A lady officer called me in exactly at 10:00 am. She went through the application item by item thoroughly and professionally. I gave her the sheet with updated India travel dates - I had travelled twice since my application, the first time for 3 weeks in Jan-Feb, and the second time for 4 weeks in Mar-Apr. I just returned on 14th for this 16th interview. She took the updated travel dates sheet. She then asked me about my name change request. I asked her about the judicial oath and the expected dates. She said, "Don't hold me to this. But there is a big backlog on judicial oath in Atlanta. The earliest is end of this summer; it might take as long as next March (2009)". I then requested her permission to leave the room, discussed with my wife, and withdrew my name change request - so she could schedule same day oath at 2:00 pm. She then asked me to read a very simple sentence, and asked me to write, "my teacher was proud of our class today". That done, she asked me 6 questions from the question bank - all of which I answered correctly. She then said that I had passed the test successfully and asked me to wait outside for the oath letter. I came out at 10:25 am. I waited for an hour before the supervisor approved everything, and the oath letter was given to me - for a 2:00 pm oath.

My wife was called in at 11:15, went through a similar process, and was scheduled for oath at the same time.

We went to Saravana Bhavan for a sumptuous lunch and came back in time for the 2:00 pm oath. We lined up to verify that the naturalization certificate had all correct information & spelling, and took ours seat for the oath ceremony. A lady section officer made a short sweet speech during which she broke down repeatedly, administered the oath, pronounced us citizens, played a short video of President Bush welcoming the new citizens, then took the pledge of allegiance, gave us the naturalization certificates. 158 new citizens belonging to 58 countries - now bound to this new country of choice.

I came to this country from India in 1985 on B1 visa, made repeated trips between 1985 - 1989, then switched to H1 visa in 1989, got my green card in March, 1992. I waited more than 15 years before applying for citizenship in November, 2007, and after less than 5 months, I am a US citizen.

Nothing has changed, but a lot has changed!! I now say, when referring to President Bush, 'My President", and when referring to the Senators from GA, "My Senators". US is now 'My Country". A lot has indeed changed!! There is a pang in my heart when I think about India. But I was born there, and India is in me. And now, USA is mine !!

My wife and I had our interviews today (Wed 04/16) at 10:05 am. We left home at 8:45 and made the peaktime journey to the Atlanta DO in the Northlake Mall area. We got there at 9:30 am. There was a long line waiting at the security/entrance. They let us carry our cellphones, books, other stuff. We went to the second floor, logged in our presence at the counter, and took our seats by 9:45 am. A lady officer called me in exactly at 10:00 am. She went through the application item by item thoroughly and professionally. I gave her the sheet with updated India travel dates - I had travelled twice since my application, the first time for 3 weeks in Jan-Feb, and the second time for 4 weeks in Mar-Apr. I just returned on 14th for this 16th interview. She took the updated travel dates sheet. She then asked me about my name change request. I asked her about the judicial oath and the expected dates. She said, "Don't hold me to this. But there is a big backlog on judicial oath in Atlanta. The earliest is end of this summer; it might take as long as next March (2009)". I then requested her permission to leave the room, discussed with my wife, and withdrew my name change request - so she could schedule same day oath at 2:00 pm. She then asked me to read a very simple sentence, and asked me to write, "my teacher was proud of our class today". That done, she asked me 6 questions from the question bank - all of which I answered correctly. She then said that I had passed the test successfully and asked me to wait outside for the oath letter. I came out at 10:25 am. I waited for an hour before the supervisor approved everything, and the oath letter was given to me - for a 2:00 pm oath.

My wife was called in at 11:15, went through a similar process, and was scheduled for oath at the same time.

We went to Saravana Bhavan for a sumptuous lunch and came back in time for the 2:00 pm oath. We lined up to verify that the naturalization certificate had all correct information & spelling, and took our seat for the oath ceremony. A lady section officer made a short sweet speech during which she broke down repeatedly, the administered the oath, pronounced us citizens, played a short video of President Bush welcoming the new citizens, then took the pledge of alliegance, gave us the naturalization certificates. 158 new citizens belonging to 58 countries - now bound to this new country of choice.

I came to this country from India in 1985 on B1 visa, made repeated trips between 1985 - 1989, then switched to H1 visa in 1989, got my green card in March, 1992. I waited more than 15 years before applying for citizenship in November, 2007, and after less than 5 months, I am a US citizen.

Nothing has changed, but a lot has changed!! I now say, when referring to President Bush, 'My President", and when referring to the Senators from GA, "My Senators". US is now 'My Country". A lot has indeed changed!! There is a pang in my heart when I think about India. But I was born there, and India is in me. And, USA is mine !!

Congrats buddy Ravi , feel so happy for you man !!! Pray for us and keep visiting here often. Good luck and enjoy your new status.

congrats Ravi sir. even though your priority date is after mine, i think you deserve it. you waited for 22 years to become citizen. I am happy for you. you lived almost half of your life time in US. this country is yours now. I can tell from your posts that you love india as well. now you are indian american. have a nice time sir. keep visit this forum.