Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

I am waiting for over 13 months now. What can I do to expedite?

3/12/2007 Sent out N-400
3/16/2007 PD
3/31/2007 FBI received request for name check from USCIS
4/2/2007 received notice from USCIS
4/14/2007 Fingerprinted
8/12/2007 Contacted the White House about status
11/21/2007 Received a letter from FBI stating that "they are working on it"
2/12/2008 Did request for information with USCIS
2/24/2008 Received response from USCIS stating that they are waiting on name check and telling me not to bother them for 180 days.

3/12/2007 Sent out N-400
3/16/2007 PD
4/14/2007 Fingerprinted
2/24/2008 Received response from USCIS stating that they are waiting on name check and telling me not to bother them for 180 days.

I know it is very hard and I feel for you. :(

Having said that, after 18 months (Just 5 more months) I would file WOM lawsuit. Talk to Atlanta_brother or read this thread and you will get the details. It is not that hard once you get a good lawyer. A little expensive but worth every penny. In the whole scheme of life, that is a very small amount.

Hopefully you will get it soon !!

3/12/2007 Sent out N-400
3/16/2007 PD
4/14/2007 Fingerprinted

Start gathering information and prepare to file lawsuit (WOM) would be next step since you are stuck in name check.

Wait few more months

3/12/2007 Sent out N-400
3/16/2007 PD
4/14/2007 Fingerprinted

I'd give them until Sep or Oct and file for WOM. This way it will be 18 months since you've filed your N-400. In the meanwhile, do whatever you can from your end. I mean infopass apptts, phone calls to cust service, writing letters to N-400 supervisor in TX and please keep records of all of them to build your case.

Shouldn't I send a "draft" “Petition for Hearing on Naturalization Application.” to USCIS and to U.S. Attorneys first, giving them some time to solve the problem without expense of litigation?

I am thinking sending the "draft" early May giving the government till August to resolve the issue, but then if by August they won't act I would have to sue and thus I need a lawyer now. Could anybody recommend one and how much am I looking at for the "draft", for suing and for going all the way?

Fees

Shouldn't I send a "draft" “Petition for Hearing on Naturalization Application.” to USCIS and to U.S. Attorneys first, giving them some time to solve the problem without expense of litigation?

I am thinking sending the "draft" early May giving the government till August to resolve the issue, but then if by August they won't act I would have to sue and thus I need a lawyer now. Could anybody recommend one and how much am I looking at for the "draft", for suing and for going all the way?

$2500-$3000

3/12/2007 Sent out N-400
3/16/2007 PD
4/14/2007 Fingerprinted

Besides other things one option to try is to meet your Senator ASAP. Establish contact with someone local active member of the party. It will help if you can take local leader with you to meet senator and convince senator's office to write letter to INS asking status for your case.

I have contacted senator through local community leader who is also active party member once Not for my case but for something else response was very positive.

-swadesh

Saturday Oaths?

So I just read in another thread that another city has same day oaths but not on Saturdays. Now I am wondering if that applies to Atlanta too? Anyone know if same say oaths are still done on weekends there? Thanks guys:) I am heading out the door in a few hrs. We have opted to go up a day early and stay at a hotel nearby as we have to drive 5 hrs to ATL:eek:

Thanks!!

Dear atlanta2008, atltodallas, jojo72, Bobsmyth and AtlantaBrother: Thank you for your greetings!! It is an indescribable feeling of relief, although I sat on it for a good 22 years since 1985, and 10 years since 1997 when I was eligible to file.

But I cannot complain - I got through the entire process in less than 5 months - particularly considering that I filed in November, with a heavy July backlog bearing down upon us all!!

Best wishes to you all. I will keep visiting this forum at least until all of you clear the hurdles and get your citizenship.

We applied for the passports today. Just normal processing - not expedited with express mail stuff. From postings in this forum, I gather it takes about 2-3 weeks for the passports to arrive. After that, I have to apply for OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) which gives lifetime-validity visa privileges to India.

Again, GOOD LUCK to you all. I will be hanging around!!

Hi Ravi,

Yes you should get your passport in 2-3 weeks time. The customer service is more reliable and more upto date compared to webpage (travelstate.gov) where you could check your status online. Good thing is those folks are open until 11pm weekdays.

That card OCI that you have mentioned sounds pretty cool. You will get visa free entry to India for lifetime. That's neat. I have this NICOP (National ID Card for overseas Pakistanis). It works the same way, you don't need a visa to enter Pakistan but it's only good for 10 yrs. You gotta renew it every 10 yrs. I know that Pakistanis can keep dual citizenship, how about Indians?

Dear Atlanta Brother!

It seems the Indian Constitution does not permit dual citizenship. But the closest we can get to dual citizenship is with this OCI registration.

The 'Overseas Citizen of India' terminology is a misnomer, because the citizenship emphasis is on the 'Overseas' portion rather than on the 'India' portion of this term. But as an OCI, we get lifetime visa privileges and multiple-type visa privileges (we can work, tour, visit, literally do anything). The only things we cannot do that an Indian citizen can do are - to vote, be an MP/MLA, hold government jobs, and buy agricultural/plantation properties.

We used to have a PIO (Person of Indian Origin) Card that is similar to your NICOP. The PIO card's validity is 15 years. We still have that facility, but I do not know who will prefer the PIO to the new OCI card.

Regards,

hi everybody

Timeline TSC/DO atlanta.

03/28/08 N-400 sent to TSC/DO Atlanta
04/01/08 N-400 received by TSC
04/13/08 NOA received
04/01/08 PD
04/17/08 FP letter received
04/25/08 FP appointment

I am a Citizen :)

We just got back from Atlanta and I am dog tired, but I just wanted to quickly share that yes today I had my interview and same day oath. Everything went smoothly and I was much less nervous thanks to this great forum and knowing what to expect. I will write a more detailed message of my experience very soon:)

Good, i have mine on the 5th of June at 12:35pm so i hope they will offer me a same day oath too. Congrats again.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi everybody

I recieved my NOA today...sayin.. expect IL within 365 days! Do i really have to wait tht long??:eek: On this thread i have seen tht ppl have recieved IL within a month evn though it mentioned much more time??? or its just a pure luck? My DO is newark.

hi everybody

I recieved my NOA today...sayin.. expect IL within 365 days! Do i really have to wait tht long??:eek: On this thread i have seen tht ppl have recieved IL within a month evn though it mentioned much more time??? or its just a pure luck? My DO is newark.

No most people do not have to wait that long of course. Mine said 450 days.

Congrats buddy

We just got back from Atlanta and I am dog tired, but I just wanted to quickly share that yes today I had my interview and same day oath. Everything went smoothly and I was much less nervous thanks to this great forum and knowing what to expect. I will write a more detailed message of my experience very soon:)

YES YES YES......Joji72 is now a USC. I am glad that you were able to take the oath yesterday too. Awesome man. Congrats and I am happy for you. I am sure you will apply for the passport on Monday.

Good luck and have a great wknd.