Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

Hi frds,

My spouse had naturalization interview on monday.He was asked for additional documents N-14 form.My spouse submitted documents on tuesday.We also recd letter from them that you have passed english/history test submit documents and we will send you written decision.How musc time it takes normally for their decision.Does anyone has gone thru the same.thanks

so almost two months passed, still no response. USCIS collected a higher fee claiming they can process faster with more money, and it turned out to be the opposite. Any suggestions? Should I call or schedule an infopass? this process is exhausting my time and energy...

Arzt

You are right. It is slower. DO has increased their time from 5 months 7 months per USCIS website. So their official answer, when I spoke to USCIS is 'wait'. The normal processing time is 7 months. I did my FP on 4th may and just got YL yesterday. Nothing has changed online. I expect that IL will be at least 2 months after FP and the interview date to be at least one month after the receipt of IL. I am not aware of any 'Speed' processing in N400; I am under assumption that all applicants are processed based on queue

Not sure if the two month after finger printing is necessarily true. See my timeline below.
They must have had an upsurge of N400 applicants when I applied.
I have heard nothing since end April, when my yellow letter arrived.
Really nothing we can do but wait. ATL is like a snail stuck in glue though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Atlanta always has been the one behind....no idea why, I'm guessing it is the volume of people applying with not many officers and time to work with.

Not sure if the two month after finger printing is necessarily true. See my timeline below.
They must have had an upsurge of N400 applicants when I applied.
I have heard nothing since end April, when my yellow letter arrived.
Really nothing we can do but wait. ATL is like a snail stuck in glue though :)

Man, I didn't even receive the yellow letter, I seriously question whether they just forgot about my file...

No everyone receives a YL apparently. It just depends on what you particular situation and I personally believe it also depends on the person handling your case.

I just got the text message saying my case was tranfered to the local office. They finally dusted the cobwebs off my file. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting your update, tobagott. That's very helpful. I'm trying to expect no update until at least a couple of months past FP. When seeing posts from people at other DOs who get an interview letter a week or so after FP, it's important to have reports from Atlanta filers to set a realistic expectation and not start to worry.

Hi,

I have completed 5 yrs after GC and is eligible to file for citizenship...going over the posts, just curious what is YL ? What does it contain ?

Also is it okay that my husband files for citizenship first and I do later as I have employment gaps in between jobs so wondering do they cause any issues...(mostly consulting assignments?
please advise...thanks.

The YL is a letter that is sent out telling you what documentation is required at the interview. Some ppl get it and others don't. I believe you and your husband can file your natrualization anytime you want to once you meet all other requirements. These is nothing stating that you have to file together. Not sure if unemployment impacts and N400 decision, especially in this time where a great number of ppl are in between jobs. I would leave that though for more knowledgable forums users to advise. Good luck.

Its OVER! I'm writing this as a proud American Citizen.

The interview was this morning@8.45. I went there at 8.15 and was asked to go to the 2nd floor and then to the 3rd floor. The interviewer called me promptly at 8.45. The interviewer was very pleasant and was a delight to talk with.

Questions asked:
- Name of the chief justice
- Number of US house representatives
- How years years do we elect a US representative
- Father of the nation
- War fought by US in 1900s
- In what month do we vote for the president

Was asked whether I had filed my taxes - I said yes and I had brought tax receipt from IRS, but he didn't ask for any proof. I had a citation reported in the application. The interviewer asked about it and went over the details, but didn't make a big deal out of it. Didn't ask for any proof that the citation was settled.

Interview was over in 15 mins. Waited for 1 hour in the second floor to get the oath letter. Got oath letter at 10. Came back at 2 and the oath was uneventful and was over at 2.45.

Good luck to every one waiting for their turn. Thanks for the members of the forum for providing support when needed.