New Member
USCIS made an error for "Country of Birth" on my Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), it says "USA" but I was born in a foreign country. Caught the error late and never had it corrected/replaced. My PRC expires on June 20, 2019.

Here is my dilemma:

There will be important things I need to do within the next 8 months that requires me to prove valid resident status. The instructions on USCIS website for filing I-90 says, "If you are a permanent resident whose 10-year green card has expired or will expire within the next 6 months, you may begin the renewal process" AND "Additionally, if you applied for naturalization at least six months before your Green Card expired, you may be able to receive an ADIT stamp instead of filing a Form I-90."

Today is January 12, 2019. The Green Card expires on June 20, 2019, is "within 6 months" between the period of 01/29/2019-06/29/2019? And is "at least 6 months before" before 01/29/2019?

I'm trying to figure out if I qualify to skip filing I-90, file N-400 instead, and get a temporary stamp to prove legal status considering it takes almost a year to process N-400 where I am located.

The other issue is my Green Card contains an error made by USCIS/DHS. If it is necessary to file I-90, should I put the reason as "My existing card has incorrect data because of Department of Homeland Security (DHS) error. (Attach your existing card with incorrect data along with this application." or simply choosing the renewal option for soon to be expired Green Card and attach a letter explaining that there is an error on the card to avoid delays/rejection. Chances are if I choose that reason and send in my Green Card with the application, I won't get it back for a while considering the processing times.

Currently, InfoPass appointment is not available because "This office is not accepting walk-in requests or scheduling InfoPass appointments."

Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thank you.


Registered Users (C)
You can try. In the end, the interviewer could could ask you to renew and put your application on hold, or whatever, but it's also entirely possible they won't. Given that it takes a long time for the N400, I would just apply for citizenship and get the ADIT stamp when your GC expires later.

If you decide to renew, I'm not sure what you'd do exactly regarding the error. I would try either option. But even if you don't get it back, you can STILL get an ADIT stamp so you'll be ok in that regard.