Any January filers out there?!?!

Thanks all. Yeah, it looks like the interview is the last step. My lawyer wants me to come in for a briefing next week, and he is also going to accompany us to the interview.

So far, we have the following items to bring to the interview:

1. Drivers Licenses with our current address
2. Marriage Certificate
3. Health Insurance Cards with both our names on it
4. Insurance for our wedding rings and engagement ring with both of our names on it
5. Auto Insurance Cards with the same policy number on it
6. Lease for our apartment
7. Wedding photos, as well as various photos of us since 1996, including us in her brother's wedding (we've been together for 12 years)
8. Credit card bills
9. Bank statement for joint checking account
10. Cell phone bill with shared family account
11. My wife's birth certificate and US Passport for her proof of citizenship

Of course I have my I-94, my old passport w/ visa and a current passport to bring.

My brother is my landlord so all utilities are under his name.

I'm pretty sure we still need to bring our last couple of paychecks, as well as a current employment letter. She also switched jobs after we filed in January. I'm not sure if our accountant will have our 2007 tax return ready by then, but I did keep a copy of our W2s from 2007.

FYI we got married in town hall in January, with only our friends present, no family. We did visit her family later that month and we took photos of us with them in our wedding outfits in some beautiful scenery in their retirement community. We are having our big wedding 5 days after the interview :( I wasn't expecting the interview to be so soon.

Someone also suggested to bring all the receipts for our upcoming big wedding, such as florist, hall, photographer, limo, videographer, etc. as well as invitations, RSVPs.

Is there anything else that I should bring?

You seem really, really prepared, that's great. Mark my words, you'll be more prepared than you'll need to be. ;)

One other thing you *could* bring if you wanted (though I'm sure you won't need it) are any letters or cards, etc, that are addressed to you and your wife.

Also, I could bring all the things associated with your upcoming big wedding. All the deposits, names and contact info for anyone involved in your wedding as proof that you're having the big "to do" soon. :)

You'll be fine!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
sweetcitywife, you cannot compare your case to ne of ours at all. consular processing is way different and the timelines are different. even though they shouldnt be, they do take longer to approve i-130 because the rest of your procedure is fast, for AOS, i-130 does not have to be approved until the interview and they can approve it on the spot.

Hi,
I applied the start of January 08 for a GC through marriage to a USC - i have my work card/travel permit through but still no Interview letter. I'm signed up for the online updates - will they email me when they send the Interview date through ? I'm worried it may have been lost in the mail.
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I applied the start of January 08 for a GC through marriage to a USC - i have my work card/travel permit through but still no Interview letter. I'm signed up for the online updates - will they email me when they send the Interview date through ? I'm worried it may have been lost in the mail.
Thanks in advance.

Post your timeline please. Also, I don't think they email you the interview notice.

Post your timeline please. Also, I don't think they email you the interview notice.

Correct, they do not email you a notice that the IL has been mailed, which kind of sucks, because it says if you don't show up to it that they consider it abandoned. They do send 2 copies of each mailing, one to your lawyer, and one to your home address.

Correct, they do not email you a notice that the IL has been mailed, which kind of sucks, because it says if you don't show up to it that they consider it abandoned. They do send 2 copies of each mailing, one to your lawyer, and one to your home address.

Which sucks to people that are not using an attorney...like me.

Millwall, do not worry, there were only 2 January filers who have interview dates (one of which have already had the interview and passed). I think it depends on your DO.

Which sucks to people that are not using an attorney...like me.
Well at least you don't have to spend 3k to have someone fill out the forms (which you fill out the majority of anyway) and act as a chaperon during your interview.

I don't know about 3K

Well at least you don't have to spend 3k to have someone fill out the forms (which you fill out the majority of anyway) and act as a chaperon during your interview.

Our attorney in Atlanta who has filed my wife's paperwork (AOS). Filled out all the forms and sent them to Chicago lockbox and stays in touch with me and let me knows right away as soon as he receives anything in the mail from USCIS. Since I am not in town so it works out in my favour.

As far as fees goes, he has charged me $690, yes you heard me right. Less then $1000. I think it was pretty reasonable compared to $3000.

RFE replied...case status online says received and resumed

Well.... we mailed the copy of NOA of the I485 that we had filed as the proof of 485 filed,it was mailedout the same day that we had gotten the RFE ie. 03/14/08.....tracked the USPS and found that it was received by the INS this morning...03/18/08.....i checked the status online in the afternoon and it says that the response received and case resumed ......*sigh* unnecessary headache...

..why would they need proof that we have filed 485 when the entire package was mailed together in one envelope sent to the same address in chicago......................Morons....wasting my time...

Our attorney in Atlanta who has filed my wife's paperwork (AOS). Filled out all the forms and sent them to Chicago lockbox and stays in touch with me and let me knows right away as soon as he receives anything in the mail from USCIS. Since I am not in town so it works out in my favour.

As far as fees goes, he has charged me $690, yes you heard me right. Less then $1000. I think it was pretty reasonable compared to $3000.

That's definitely an awesome fee for a lawyer! Good find!

Well.... we mailed the copy of NOA of the I485 that we had filed as the proof of 485 filed,it was mailedout the same day that we had gotten the RFE ie. 03/14/08.....tracked the USPS and found that it was received by the INS this morning...03/18/08.....i checked the status online in the afternoon and it says that the response received and case resumed ......*sigh* unnecessary headache...

..why would they need proof that we have filed 485 when the entire package was mailed together in one envelope sent to the same address in chicago......................Morons....wasting my time...

At least they resumed your case quickly, i recieved an RFE on March 10th, replied March 11th, they received on the 12 (i have del. confirmation), and I'm still not seeing any updates on my case.

gnr5...we werent expecting to get an update online soo soon.....so i guess there is no exact set pattern that they follow...i hope u get an update soon..........