Acceptable tax transcript

shanchak

Registered Users (C)
Does USCIS accept Tax Return Transcript (1040) obtained via fax as authentic ? (Free)
or does it have to be obtained via 4506 IRS form? ($$$$ Expensive)
Anyone have any idea about original IRS 1722 letter?
Your experienced reply will be highly appreciated.
Thank you

Does USCIS accept Tax Return Transcript (1040) obtained via fax as authentic ? (Free)
or does it have to be obtained via 4506 IRS form? ($$$$ Expensive)
Anyone have any idea about original IRS 1722 letter?
Your experienced reply will be highly appreciated.
Thank you

IRS Form 1722 is actually transcript. In other word, transcript is on Form 1722. This is what USCIS asks for it since it's official copy. USCIS won't accept fax copies of transcripts. And you don't need to pay any money to obtain tax transcripts; rather you can get free of charge. IRS normally provides last 3 yrs's transcripts at a time. So once you get last years' ones, you can call them again to get the rest of the years. But keep it in mind that IRS representative cannot see tax records for the years more than 5 years ago even though they keep the full record of it. That's why they ask people to request in writing and pay a big money to retrieve the tax records from archieves...I guess, it's their way to make money which is totally unacceptable.

Merry Christmas Johnny Cash. Thank you very much for very prompt answer.
Do I call on 1 800 829 1040 again and ask them to mail the IRS Return transcript on original 1722 letter ?
I talked to IRS employee on 1040 line. She said that they no longer use the 1722 letter.
And as the fax transcript has IRS logo and worker number it should be good enough as a tax transcript document.
If they mail it will it be different from the faxed one?
your opinion please.

Do copies of your tax records suffice? I have all of them - do I need to get transcripts or do copies do the job?

Do copies of your tax records suffice? I have all of them - do I need to get transcripts or do copies do the job?

Though copies of tax records SHOULD be suffice but unfortunately USCIS normally don't accept them...at least most of the time. A few officers don't care but most of them do. Why? Because there is no way to know if tax copies are true copies or not...meaning-they don't know whether or not those copies were the ones filed with IRS. Unless someone gets certified copies directly from IRS or tax transcripts, the legitimacy of those record would always be in question. That's why most officers do ask for transcripts than just the copies of tax records.

Btw, obtaining certified copies will cost tons of money, while transcripts are free. Even in the manual for immigration officers for conducting immigration interview, it's written there that officers should demand to have tax transcripts whenever tax record in question. So it's better to get transcripts because there is no way to know if officer will ask for it or not, but if officer does ask and someone doesn't have it then it will further delay the case...God knows for how long.

And as the fax transcript has IRS logo and worker number it should be good enough as a tax transcript document.
If they mail it will it be different from the faxed one?
your opinion please.

The transcripts which are faxed are not different than actual ones but 99% of govt. agencies don't accept fax stuffs; rather they prefer to have actual/hard copy. So even though fax copies would have IRS logo and employee worker ID number, it would still be not accepted. Two cases were reported here in the past who tried to submit fax-copies of their tax transcripts but officers refused to accept those copies and asked them to submit the hard copies. Thus, it's better to obtain the hard copy that would be received thru the mail. It takes only 4-6 days to receive these copies in the mail anyway.

What number to call

IRS tax transcripts can be requested via form 4506T(this is free, compared to plain 4506 which costs extra).

The 1722 letter is obsolete, but USCIS has never updated this on their instrcutions.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

Bobsmyth,
What number should I call? Do I have to complete the form 4506T (that you referenced above) and fax it to them. Or is a call just enough. I called the number and it says there is a federal holiday.

You can call the regular 1-800 IRS number using a touch tone phone and following instructions to order your tax transcripts for all the available years. You don't need to talk to any reps. There is no limit on the number of years either. I just ordered mine for year 2003-2007. By my mistake, I did year 2007 twice. So I ended up with 6 copies of transcripts.

You can call the regular 1-800 IRS number using a touch tone phone and following instructions to order your tax transcripts for all the available years. You don't need to talk to any reps. There is no limit on the number of years either. I just ordered mine for year 2003-2007. By my mistake, I did year 2007 twice. So I ended up with 6 copies of transcripts.

cxqiu,
please what is the "regular 800 number" for IRS. I will like to do it by touchtone too.

I gave USCIS faxed copies and no questions were raised.

Just because the officer who interviewd you accepted the fax copies of your tax returns then that doesn't mean every immigration officer and state department officer will accept it. Officers do make mistakes sometimes and that doesn't mean they were right. So, who knows officer in your case made a mistake by accepting fax copies. I have had came along to a case on this site 3 yrs ago wherein officer in NJ not only asked anything but also approved a citizenship case to a woman who was convicted for shoplifting for big loss to the victim which was a deportable crime.

Now this woman is not only a citizen but she even made her both parents to have obtained LPR without a hitch. Every attorney she contacted told the same to her, including myself that she will be deported but officer totally overlooked this critical fact or wasn't aware of immigration laws; otherwise rather than being a US citizen; she could have been deported. Keep it in mind that immigration officers are not immigration lawyers. They get hired based on their graduate degree and a bit experience. They just get training. On the other hand, immigration lawyers advocate on immigration laws. So, officers do make mistakes.

As for whether fax copies for tax records will be accepted or not, then nobody knows. It will be up to the officer. It could be possible that officer might not even ask nothing about tax. I personally prefer to be fully prepared than leaving things for assumptions/presumptions or anything else. And obtaining a hard copy of transcript is about being prepared fully than leaving a room for anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
"'As for whether fax copies for tax records will be accepted or not, then nobody would know. It will be up to the officer. It could be possible that officer might not even ask nothing about tax. I personally prefer to be fully prepared than leaving things for assumptions/presumptions or anything else. And obtaining a hard copy of transcript is about being prepared fully than leaving a room for anything."

YOU are right about your above said opinion.
but i have a question again. Is not fax copy is a hard copy ?
What is a hard copy?
There is a fax number on the 4056T form which one can use to send the filled up form to IRS requesting Tax Transcript.
Now if they send back the documents via fax how will it make the difference?
Sorry - take no offense these are healthy discussion for the information.
Information is knowledge and knowledge is power.
thanks
I am going to ask for the 4056T transcript anyway.

Is it Transcript or Tax Account/Transcript?

I have just gone through the automated system. One of the option is "request for transcripts of past returns"... Another option is "request for tax account and transcript"...

which one do we need for interview?

Which option should I select to oder copies using the automated system? As I understand, option 1 is for general topics. I tried option 3 but after entering my SSN I was told that the office was closed (today is Sunday).

How can I order a 2003 tax return for free? I called a few weeks ago and could order the returns for the last 4 years (2004-2007) only.

Which option should I select to oder copies using the automated system? As I understand, option 1 is for general topics. I tried option 3 but after entering my SSN I was told that the office was closed (today is Sunday).

How can I order a 2003 tax return for free? I called a few weeks ago and could order the returns for the last 4 years (2004-2007) only.

Andy,
Have you received your 2004-2007 transcripts? How long did it take? I just did it through the automated system yesterday.

It took only 4 days! I was told they only could provide the last 4 returns.
I am still confused on how I can get my 2003 transcript. May I use my personal copy? Can I order 2003 return through the automated system?