2018 Asylum Filers

Application filed: July 2015
Interview: October 2018
I was told to come pick up my decision after two weeks, but right before the due date the officer called and said no need to show up, you'll receive it in the mail. Still nothing up to this date. They say my case is with the Supervisor. But I'm guessing my case is referred to headquarters.
Why u r guessing your case will be referred? Stay positive

Application filed: July 2015
Interview: October 2018
I was told to come pick up my decision after two weeks, but right before the due date the officer called and said no need to show up, you'll receive it in the mail. Still nothing up to this date. They say my case is with the Supervisor. But I'm guessing my case is referred to headquarters.

We never know with these people. Maybe it is background check, maybe with supervisor, maybe with headquarters... Who knows. But, hopefully we will get our decisions as soon as possible!

Why u r guessing your case will be referred? Stay positive

I don't mean my case will be referred to a court. I expect to get either an approval or recommended approval. I just think they will send my case to headquarters for further review due to its details. Specifically because I came to united states through Canada, and they need to check for Safe-third country requirements. I just can't find anything on how long is the average wait time once the case is sent to the headquarters.

I don't mean my case will be referred to a court. I expect to get either an approval or recommended approval. I just think they will send my case to headquarters for further review due to its details. Specifically because I came to united states through Canada, and they need to check for Safe-third country requirements. I just can't find anything on how long is the average wait time once the case is sent to the headquarters.
Just stay positive. I am also waiting for my decision. Blessings to us all

I'm going for my interview on 12 Feb and I'm so nervous. Can anybody tell me what kind of questions they ask and why it takes 2hrs?

I'm going for my interview on 12 Feb and I'm so nervous. Can anybody tell me what kind of questions they ask and why it takes 2hrs?
The officer checks question by question first and after that ask you about your story and why you fear of coming back to your home country. he or she focuses on some part of your story that can challenge you. also, he repeats some questions. you should know all the dates and correct officer if he says some different dates. he also goes through to all of your travel history and asks you why you do not go to a third country and why you do not go somewhere else inside your home country.
If you have a translator, it takes time more. Although my English was sufficient, my lawyer asks me to bring a translator who knows the law terms and it was really good since when I want to say my story in English I mostly remove the details and with having a translator I also could prepare my answer better.

Hello there! Good luck on your interview. I know how hard it gets to feel overwhelmed like that
For the interview, focus on your personal statement (do you have a personal statement? The one that you wrote in it about your life). Focus on your life's events that led to you seeking asylum. Focus on your country conditions, but also on YOUR story. What happened to you? Why do you feel scared to go back? What may happen if you go back? What do you identify as (religion, political opinion, gender... etc.)
It is 2 hours because officer wants to make sure your story is REAL. They want to know that YOU are SCARED to go back for strong reasons

Hello there! Good luck on your interview. I know how hard it gets to feel overwhelmed like that
For the interview, focus on your personal statement (do you have a personal statement? The one that you wrote in it about your life). Focus on your life's events that led to you seeking asylum. Focus on your country conditions, but also on YOUR story. What happened to you? Why do you feel scared to go back? What may happen if you go back? What do you identify as (religion, political opinion, gender... etc.)
It is 2 hours because officer wants to make sure your story is REAL. They want to know that YOU are SCARED to go back for strong reasons
Thank you so much. Some people told me that I should cry

I don't think crying helps. They are all professionals and only follow the protocol , if you cry but don't have a legitimate reason for asylum they don't care and will deny you.
I think you should work on your statement and try to stay calm and focus.

Thank you so much. Some people told me that I should cry
The interview can be 2 hrs or even longer depending on details of your case and what the officer deems necessary to discuss in the interview. You'd prefer for him to ask anything that's important rather than missing important points and asking you to show up later for a second interview. Do not try to cry. It's not like that. Remember that this is a human interaction, if the facts of situation you're at or what happened to you bring tears to your eyes don't hold them back. Be your real self, the person who has been under so much pressure in life that was enough to make such a decision. The interviewer is trained to look indifferent to your feelings and this may shock you. However, do not allow the overwhelming stress and pressure of the setting to carry you away. Stay focused on the questions that are asked and answer them sufficiently enough. Do not volunteer irrelevant information in your answers. A good percentage of the questions you're going to answer come to the officer's mind right there and then when you're answering. That's why every question may breed several detailed questions to follow. And finally, be prepared to give details. Such as where were you standing when something happened, or how was the weather that day and so on. Good luck with your interview.

Again, no need for a theatrical performance if your asylum petition is genuine. Be yourself and present your case as is, don’t resort to desperate measures.
Is it wise to tell the officer that you are employed without a work permit?

Is it wise to tell the officer that you are employed without a work permit?
If any authority knows you are working illegally you will be deported without any hesitation. Stop the job you are doing and wait for work permit.

I went for my interview today! I'm really glad that I did it I was so anxious, now I just wait
I went for mine yesterday. I know how you're feeling. I hope you did well. Mine lasted for an hour and 20 minutes. The officer kept asking tough questions. I couldn't sleep the night before my interview. They told me to come pick up the decision in two weeks. I hope we get some good results. Fingers crossed!