• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Hi guys,

Just letting y'all know I got my notification letter today! My interview is scheduled for 15 April. However, because I'm utterly incapable of *not* making life difficult for myself: for a fairly serious (and private, sorry) reason I'm actually unable to make this date (by about three days). I immediately emailed the consulate in Sydney, and am awaiting their response. (From my understanding, you get one shot at rescheduling your interview if you can prove it's entirely necessary; correct?) They've been very helpful in the past so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I also asked them about what the options are RE handing over your passport at the interview. Just wanted to gauge how long I'd have to be in Sydney for (as I'll be living overseas); and what my options might be (if any) if I couldn't stay for a whole week.

Complicated, yes, but I'm staying hopeful! Other than these (moderately sized) hiccups I'm feeling very prepared for the interview when it finally happens. Will keep you all posted.

My interview is next week, however I initially asked to reschedule. Their response to me was

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

An immigrant visa number is available for your use within the month of February 2014. If you do not keep this appointment or have your visa issued within that month, your visa number will be returned to Washington, D.C. for reallocation.

All DV programs end/close on the last work day of September or earlier if the quota of visa numbers is used up earlier than September. Please reply to this email and advise which specific month you wish to be interviewed so we can request new visa numbers for your use within your nominated month.

Upon receipt of new numbers, a new appointment date will be scheduled and the advice emailed to you. If a visa number is not available for your use, you will be advised further.

Please note, depending on which month you wish to be interviewed, you may have to be placed on a waitlist. When an appointment does become available, an email confirmation will be sent. Please be aware, we cannot guarantee when an appointment will become available, nor can we advise the date or time of when it may be. We can advise that visa interviews occur on Tuesday mornings only.

Good Luck!

Yeh that's exactly what we're thinking... I'm sure holding up a certificate and a baby to the immigration officer will be proof enough that it's a real marriage... minus the wedding photos :)

Thanks again

Hey Kurt
I actually called KCC about this back in May last year. I'm applying as a single now, but I was with a girl around that time and we were looking at marriage options so she could join me on the DV visa. My recollection of all this is a bit foggy so maybe confirm this with other sources, but from what KCC were able to tell me and what I read on the Internet, the thing that will affect you guys most is whether you were married before or after you become a legal permanent resident, that being the first day you enter the US once you have your DV visa.

So it seemed to me at the time that I could apply as a single, do the interview by myself, and then we'd still have 6 months (since the medical date) before entering the US in which to decide if marriage was the right thing. If you marry after you have entered the US and activated your legal permanent residency by doing so then much bigger wait times for her will kick in.

Maybe someone can provide more info here, but the takeaway for me was that the interview date isn't a deadline you necessarily need to get married by, maybe that buys you some time.

DV2014OC000019XX

Hey Kurt
I actually called KCC about this back in May last year. I'm applying as a single now, but I was with a girl around that time and we were looking at marriage options so she could join me on the DV visa. My recollection of all this is a bit foggy so maybe confirm this with other sources, but from what KCC were able to tell me and what I read on the Internet, the thing that will affect you guys most is whether you were married before or after you become a legal permanent resident, that being the first day you enter the US once you have your DV visa.

So it seemed to me at the time that I could apply as a single, do the interview by myself, and then we'd still have 6 months (since the medical date) before entering the US in which to decide if marriage was the right thing. If you marry after you have entered the US and activated your legal permanent residency by doing so then much bigger wait times for her will kick in.

Maybe someone can provide more info here, but the takeaway for me was that the interview date isn't a deadline you necessarily need to get married by, maybe that buys you some time.

DV2014OC000019XX

Sorry, but that is bad advice. Please don't do that - you would be getting yourself into a world of hassle. If you are going to marry, do it before the interview.

So - I am not trying to blow wind up anyone's arse - but to the people on the 2k+ list above I think some of you will get your interview. I am sure this year will have a lot of unhappy people in various countries - but I hope you can understand why I would say don't give up hope yet...

Gawd, I hope so!

Wow, Neko -- I never knew anyone who's applied for the lottery more years than I have! It's impressive and a little sad at the same time. :) More than most, you deserve to get an interview now that you've been selected, so for your sake as well as mine, I'll be hoping they reach your 28XX case number. If you don't mind my asking, why are you so determined to go to the US that you'd apply 11 years straight, 12 if you count 2015? My excuse is that I work in entertainment and my dream has always been to do it in Hollywood.

2014 was my 11th year applying as well. I'm glad to see there are others!

Quick question for those who have already had their interview...apologies if it's already been addressed, but it's been a long time since page 1.

Do we need a copy of our medical history? I thought I'd read somewhere that we did, but I can't find it now - can those who've had their interview confirm either way?

If we do, I have absolutely no idea how to even begin to do that. We moved around a bit when I was a kid, and I was in and out of hospitals (in 2 different states) during that time.

Quick question for those who have already had their interview...apologies if it's already been addressed, but it's been a long time since page 1.

Do we need a copy of our medical history? I thought I'd read somewhere that we did, but I can't find it now - can those who've had their interview confirm either way?

If we do, I have absolutely no idea how to even begin to do that. We moved around a bit when I was a kid, and I was in and out of hospitals (in 2 different states) during that time.

Only the results from the required medical examination.

Last edited by a moderator:

Only the results from the required medical examination.

However, it doesn't hurt to go get a blood test in the lead-up so you know which immunizations you're up to date with BEFORE you go. My examining doctor told me I saved myself a bunch of hassle by checking my immunizations off against the list of required boosters etc before my interview and getting the shots I needed before the medical, so I didn't have to go get them afterwards or get a shit-ton of needles on the day.

Hey Kurt

DV2014OC000019XX

This is not right. If you marry after your get your visa, you still can't petition for her until you become a LPR. I don't know how you found this information but it is incorrect, you need to do it before the interview if you don't want a long wait.

Hey Kurt

DV2014OC000019XX

This is not right. If you marry after your get your visa, you still can't petition for her until you become a LPR. I don't know how you found this information but it is incorrect, you need to do it before the interview if you don't want a long wait.

Actually, the information is correct. If a person gets married after getting his/her IV, and before entering the US, the applicant can go back to the embassy and request an interview for the spouse.

9 FAM 40.1 N7.2 Spouse or Child Acquired Prior to Admission of Principal Alien (pg 11):

A spouse or child acquired prior to a principal alien’s admission to the United States is entitled to derivative status and the priority date of the principal alien, regardless of the period of time which may elapse between the issuance of a visa to or admission into the United States of the principal alien and the issuance of a visa to the spouse or child of such alien and regardless of whether the spouse or child had been named in the immigrant visa (IV) application of the principal alien.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86920.pdf

Of course DV applicants are often not encouraged to go this route because of the time sensitive nature of the DV process. There's no guarantee the embassy will schedule the spousal interview before the end of the applicable FY, hence the suggestion to always to ahead with the marriage before attending the interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this time next month, my hubby and I will (hopefully) be enjoying a loving dinner at the Opera House after a successful visa interview. I have my fingers crossed tat all the 2014 candidates will get to experience that moment!!

I'm sure I read on this forum that the Sydney Consulate will send a letter/email(??) before the interview with a list of the paperwork you need to bring to the interview. Is that correct? I have everything per the US consulate site so I'm not worried, just thought I could get it in order and be super organised. Given how big this is I am getting paranoid that I am going to forget something!!

Can anyone who's already had their interview confirm this for me please?

You should get it fairly soon. If I recall, I got mine three to four weeks before my interview in November.

If you go back through my posts, you'll find I posted the email in its entirety for people's reference.

Hi everyone! We got our visas approved last month and are flying over to the US next week. I've got a quick question, Do we need to register on the ESTA visa waiver program? Does this still apply because we are going in on an immigrant visa?

Hi Shoesanna,

Nope, no need to register on the ESTA visa waiver program, which is exactly that - a visa waiver. You'll have a visa, so won't fall under the visa waiver program. Likewise, you'll need to fill out different forms on the plane than the ones you would if you were travelling under a visa waiver - the cabin crew will usually ask you if you're travelling with a visa and give you the correct paperwork to fill out.

Then, when you arrive in the US, my understanding is that you queue up in the US Citizens/Permanent Residents queue rather than the ''Other Nationalities' (or equivalent) queue and the immigration officer will then sort out your arrival paperwork.

Exciting times. Best of luck with the move!

Hi Shoesanna,

Nope, no need to register on the ESTA visa waiver program, which is exactly that - a visa waiver. You'll have a visa, so won't fall under the visa waiver program. Likewise, you'll need to fill out different forms on the plane than the ones you would if you were travelling under a visa waiver - the cabin crew will usually ask you if you're travelling with a visa and give you the correct paperwork to fill out.

Then, when you arrive in the US, my understanding is that you queue up in the US Citizens/Permanent Residents queue rather than the ''Other Nationalities' (or equivalent) queue and the immigration officer will then sort out your arrival paperwork.

Exciting times. Best of luck with the move!

Uh, basically all of this information is incorrect. Sorry. You're correct in saying that you don't need to apply for ESTA, but that's about it.

There aren't different forms to fill out on the plane. There's an incoming passenger card which every passenger receives. Even if you tell the flight crew you're not coming in as a tourist, they're going to give you one. My guy at the gate didn't look at it, but that doesn't necessarily mean you don't need one.

On top of that, you still need to enter the visitors queue at immigration, NOT the one for citizens and residents, because you're not a citizen or resident yet. Not until you go through those gates.

You'll have your brown visa packet and X-rays with you (keep them out) and your immigration officer will take over from there when he or she sees them.

Good luck shoesanna - what's the plan once you arrive? Where are you guys headed?

Haha, fair enough! Shoesanna, listen to the guy who's done it, not the guy who's planning it! Useful info Crawf, cheers for clarifying that. I would have looked like a right numpty heading to the Citizens queue and no doubt would have incurred the wrath of a none-too-impressed immigration officer! That'll teach me to listen to my mates' advice!

Last time I travelled to the US on a visa (student visa, a few years ago, admittedly), there were different forms for visa holders and travellers travelling under the visa waiver. Apologies for the misinformation Shoesanna! Safe travels!

Depending what airport you land in, there may be a "new immigrants" line for you to join, but the best is just to ask one of the CBP guys that will be hanging around which line to join - they may just direct you to a shorter one - my experience is that the queue lines are not "hard and fast" :) Any immigration officer will know how to process you.

Thanks for your replies everyone! Looking forward to getting to the gate at last, I just didn't want to unnecessarily complicate the process.

Crawf - we are actually just going on a two week holiday/wedding celebration to Hawaii, and then we'll come back and wrap things up before making the final move to New York in July :)

Actually, the information is correct. If a person gets married after getting his/her IV, and before entering the US, the applicant can go back to the embassy and request an interview for the spouse.

9 FAM 40.1 N7.2 Spouse or Child Acquired Prior to Admission of Principal Alien (pg 11):

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86920.pdf

Of course DV applicants are often not encouraged to go this route because of the time sensitive nature of the DV process. There's no guarantee the embassy will schedule the spousal interview before the end of the applicable FY, hence the suggestion to always to ahead with the marriage before attending the interview.

Thanks for completing the picture there, so it's possible but maybe not wise with this type of visa.
The word "acquired" makes the process of finding a wife or having a child sound so easy.

Medical Interview

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to hear about the low numbers for April, but keeping my fingers crossed that more of you will get lucky!

I had my medical in Sydney last week and thought some of you might be interested in the process:

- Booking the appointment was actually the hardest part. I had to get a bit pushy with the women, especially because I was coming in from another state so I needed to pick a certain date.

- Before I arrived I had an appointment with my doctor to check my immunity against the list of vaccines they give (though that would be cheaper and quicker than doing it in Sydney. With my GP the blood work was covered by medicare and if I needed vaccines, they would have been covered or discounted through private cover.) This is what was needed:
DTP (Diphtheria Tetanus Pertussis)
MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) if born in 1957 or later
Chicken Pox (Varicella)
Flu Vaccine (for Medicals during 01 Apr to 30 Sept only)

- Once I arrived I had to do a urine test (forgot to ask what that was for)

- Then we ran through a set of questions about medical history, smoking etc. Height and weight test, blood pressure, ears, eyes (if you have prescription glasses or contacts, you need to have them with you)

- Then a blood test to check for syphilis ($30ish)

- Then I had to walk around the corner to get my lung x-ray. I thought it would take a while for the film, but they were really quick, about 5 minutes

- Then back to the doc with results which he looked at. then paid the $350ish and that was it.

- All up took a few hours, but not that much of it was waiting around, which was good. I saw Dr Waks who was really lovely and has done a few of these in his time I suspect.

- For those who aren't fro Sydney - be aware that there is a George St Medical Centre and s Sydney Medical Centre, both on George St. One of my electronic map searches kept assuming they were the same place (they are about a 15 minute walk away from each other). Double check which one you need

Hope this provides some help :)

Best of luck everyone!

Case No 2014OC000007**