• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

That's really helpful info lillshai, thank you. I've got my medical coming up in ten days, also with Dr Waks, so it's nice to know what to expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Police checks

Hello

I've glanced through this thread but can't see anywhere my questions are answered.

My case number is in the late 800s. My interview is mid April.

Question one: My father has never been a part of my life and is not listed on my birth certificate, I've noted the information states BOTH parents are required on the birth certificate. Has anyone been through interviews where they only have one listed? Was this an issue? It would be very difficult/almost impossible for me to get my father on my certificate.

Question two: For the police check there are two options available with QPS: Name check only and Name and finger print check. Is name only ok? I was thinking about getting the fingerprint check done but it is $181 per person. So would like to avoid doing it if it is not required.

Thanks in advance!!
A

Hello

I've glanced through this thread but can't see anywhere my questions are answered.

Question one: My father has never been a part of my life and is not listed on my birth certificate, I've noted the information states BOTH parents are required on the birth certificate. Has anyone been through interviews where they only have one listed? Was this an issue? It would be very difficult/almost impossible for me to get my father on my certificate.

Question two: For the police check there are two options available with QPS: Name check only and Name and finger print check. Is name only ok? I was thinking about getting the fingerprint check done but it is $181 per person. So would like to avoid doing it if it is not required.

Thanks in advance!!
A

Regarding question one (which I think was discussed in this thread, but it might have been another thread). The reason they ask for both parents is to establish your parentage (partly because of rules of chargeability, but mostly to get you to commit to your parentage in the case where you later want to sponsor your parents) . By presenting a birth cert with just the one parent you are then restricted to only that declared parent, which by the sound of it is just fine. They are not really concerned about your illegitimacy.

I know question two has been answered in this thread - not too many posts ago - but perhaps someone reading this will answer saving you the need to read more - but I am sure it is there...

Thanks in advance!!
A

Your mileage may vary. I wasn't willing to take any chances on being turned back for not having enough information, so I did the whole thing, fingerprints and all. I believe there's another Queensland winner who went with the name-only check and did fine.

Not that I'm making any snap judgments, but in the grand scheme of things is the difference in cost that big of a deal for a) peace of mind and b) if you're intending to immigrate, $181 is the least of your financial hurdles...

Hello

Thanks in advance!!
A

I emailed the KCC about the finger print check and they said that the Sydney Consulate had to answer that question. This is the response I received:

“Depending on which Australian state or territory in which you reside will depend on how to apply for the Australian
police certificate. [I'm from SA] Please refer to http://canberra.usembassy.gov/obtain_police_cert.html for further
information.
Note: you only need to apply for 1 Australian police certificate. Australian police certificates are valid for 12 months
from date of issuance.
Your certificate can be based on a name check or fingerprint check.
If it’s based on a name check, it must contain all aliases previously and presently used. Failure to provide a name
check certificate with all aliases may result in the consular officer refusing your application for a police certificate based
on a fingerprint check.”

I can’t remember if it was on this thread or another but someone else had said something similar - that as long as you haven’t changed your name, name check only is ok. This is how I read the Consulate advice.

I went ahead and did only the name check, but my interview isn’t until mid-March so I can’t tell you how it’s gone until then sorry…

It took about 10 working days for me to get the certificate

Name check only is fine. That's what I did and they didn't have a problem with it - it even states on the FAQ of the US consulate website that either name only or fingerprint and name is acceptable.

Regarding question one (which I think was discussed in this thread, but it might have been another thread). The reason they ask for both parents is to establish your parentage (partly because of rules of chargeability, but mostly to get you to commit to your parentage in the case where you later want to sponsor your parents) . By presenting a birth cert with just the one parent you are then restricted to only that declared parent, which by the sound of it is just fine. They are not really concerned about your illegitimacy.

I know question two has been answered in this thread - not too many posts ago - but perhaps someone reading this will answer saving you the need to read more - but I am sure it is there...

Awesome, thank you!

Thanks for completing the picture there, so it's possible but maybe not wise with this type of visa.
The word "acquired" makes the process of finding a wife or having a child sound so easy.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for everyone's input with my situation regarding my soon-to-be wife and newborn. We will be getting married on March 30 at the marriage registry in Melbourne. The stupid thing is that they don't even issue a legal marriage certificate on the day. They issue a 'party certificate' which is for you own records, but nothing else. I have to apply for a legal certificate on the day of my marriage, and then that certificate can take up to 4 weeks to arrive!!! So frustrating given I still need to get this back to KCC to process and update my case. Has anyone been in this situation? Can I send the KCC this 'party certificate' or do I have to wait for the official marriage certificate? Thinking it's the latter...

Anyway... In case anyone is inetrested, here is a response I got from KCC in regards to sending updated forms if you marry or have a child after you send your initial forms. The good news, in terms of the time factor, is that they have said if my interview is scheduled before they receive my updated forms, I can take them with me to the Sydney consulate to be processed there:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Fiancées or common law spouses cannot be listed as a beneficiary on DV cases.

Once you are legally married, you may add your spouse to the case.

To add a spouse, please submit the following to KCC once you are married:

· Copy of marriage certificate with English translation

· Forms DS 230 Part I & II for spouse

· Updated DS 230 Part I for the principal applicant

· Passport style photo of the spouse

If you need additional copies of the forms, photocopies are acceptable or you may download them at http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/forms/forms_1342.html.

Family members not included on the initial entry may cause the case to be disqualified. Extenuating circumstances such as; you have been married or had a child after the initial application submission may be acceptable. If you meet either of these circumstances a photocopy of the marriage and/or birth certificate, along with English translations, should be provided with the completed forms. If you need to obtain additional DS 230 Parts I & II forms, you may download them at: http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/forms/forms_1342.html.

A spouse and/or eligible children, unmarried and under the age 21 must have the above forms completed and returned before KCC can make the necessary adjustments to your case. KCC will accept this information via postal mail, email, or fax. Information received at KCC after interview scheduling will be forwarded to the Embassy or the applicant may carry this information with them to their interview appointment.

new to thread

Hi All,

I'm brand new to the forums/this thread - it hadn't occurred to me to look to other DV lottery winners for answers to my questions. So glad it finally did occur to me - there is a wealth of knowledge here!

I have had a look through and done a few searches and couldn't find if anyone had asked a few specific questions though, so sorry for double-ups if i am just being blind!

My partner and I were both shortlisted for the DV lottery.
My case number: 2014OC000022XX
My partner's case number: 2014OC000009XX

We sent off our forms a little belatedly, in late July. We have yet to receive notification that our forms were received by KCC - should we be worried? Or do they not send notification of the receipt of the forms?

Based on the interview rate, it looks like my partner will be interviewed in May. I am concerned that I will never receive an interview. I had thought that if we got married now, it would complicate matters - ie, I have a case number already, etc. Can anyone shed any light on this? We have been together 5 years and if I am not able to secure an interview, he is unlikely to accept his interview - and we don't really have much money to throw around, to just 'see how it goes'. Obviously, it's hard to say whether or not I will get an interview at this stage..
The other consideration here, is that I work for a company with an LA office that I could potentially relocate to. I have begun discussions on this with my work, but there is not a firm answer on this, and I will have to drive this. I could also potentially apply for a new job and try to be sponsored - obviously much harder, but not out of the question. But looking through this thread, it seems that adding a spouse to an application after the fact isn't as hard as I had first thought... But I wonder what us both having case numbers does to change that?
I am finding it very hard to decide what to do, and if I marry my partner and am added to his case number, would it complicate my own?

Apologies for the lack of brevity - I am quite confused!

Any light anyone could shed would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou!

Hi royal8, first of all, congrats to the pair of you on being selected. What luck!

My advice would be not to worry about complicating things. You have to ask yourselves whether or not you really want to move to the US. Be honest with yourselves - it's a big move and you might find that upon reflection, you're happy where you are. If, after careful thought, the answer is yes, then you're in a unique position to be able to do so.

Given the uncertainty over your own number, I would advise you to get married. Others might disagree, however if you're in a stable and committed relationship anyway, then why not? As far as making matters more complicated with your own GC application, it seems to me that it's unlikely to matter since by the time you are (possibly) called for an interview, you would have got your GC through your partner anyway. You could then just let yours lapse, safe in the knowledge that the pair of you have your GCs. You'd then also be in a stronger position to petition your work for a transfer to the LA office - you'd already have full working rights in the US and they would be left with the choice to facilitate your move or lose you altogether.

That's just my two cents anyway. Others might have a different perspective.

Best of luck!

Hi royal8, first of all, congrats to the pair of you on being selected. What luck!

My advice would be not to worry about complicating things. You have to ask yourselves whether or not you really want to move to the US. Be honest with yourselves - it's a big move and you might find that upon reflection, you're happy where you are. If, after careful thought, the answer is yes, then you're in a unique position to be able to do so.

Given the uncertainty over your own number, I would advise you to get married. Others might disagree, however if you're in a stable and committed relationship anyway, then why not? As far as making matters more complicated with your own GC application, it seems to me that it's unlikely to matter since by the time you are (possibly) called for an interview, you would have got your GC through your partner anyway. You could then just let yours lapse, safe in the knowledge that the pair of you have your GCs. You'd then also be in a stronger position to petition your work for a transfer to the LA office - you'd already have full working rights in the US and they would be left with the choice to facilitate your move or lose you altogether.

Best of luck!

I think this answer makes sense, though obviously if you do get the GC having married your partner just ensure the embassy knows that (they probably will anyway) so they can reallocate any potential interview slot to someone else.

Best of luck!

Thankyou so much for your very helpful response, 2014hopeful. I know the first question we need to answer is: "how much do we want to move to the US?", but we have been hesitant to really invest in the idea with it looking so unlikely with my case number so high up. I didn't realise you could get married after the fact, and yes - we are in a committed partnership, so does make sense!

And yes, SusieQQQ, I will definitely alert the embassy if my case number becomes moot so that others can have a chance!

I just have one more question: How much notice do they generally give for the interview? A few weeks at least?

Thanks again!

Hi royal8, no worries at all, glad to be of help.

I've got my interview coming up in ten days and I was advised of the time/date about five weeks ago. Should be plenty of time for you two to run down to the registry office!

Thankyou so much for your very helpful response, 2014hopeful. I know the first question we need to answer is: "how much do we want to move to the US?", but we have been hesitant to really invest in the idea with it looking so unlikely with my case number so high up. I didn't realise you could get married after the fact, and yes - we are in a committed partnership, so does make sense!

And yes, SusieQQQ, I will definitely alert the embassy if my case number becomes moot so that others can have a chance!

I just have one more question: How much notice do they generally give for the interview? A few weeks at least?

Thanks again!

You should get your interview notification a few days after the vb with your number as current is published. Depending on exactly when in the cycle your interview is, this is generally 6-8 weeks beforehand.

As strange as it may sound, I have always just found the US a better fit for myself on a personal level. I don't have any tie downs in Australia, very minimal family, my profession was born in the US and it is a lot more dynamic, progressive and cutting edge in the US so naturally I would rather work there.

I have a lot of friends in the US and am fortunate enough to get over there regularly, e.g. was there for a good portion of January and will be back there in March and April. I just find myself "happier" in the US :) oh and the climate, I love cold weather and am dying a slow death in this disgusting heat here!

LOL Neko83 I can relarte abit with your comment/share here. I too, feel that I shall be happier and maybe have more chances and opportunities to do what I want. Don't get me wrong, I love my country and the county I come from is a tourist town, the weather is warm all through and people so warm and friendly, but opportunities to grow or learn are scarce. You kind of have your life curved out, the career path, family path and expectations, but in the US its a whole ball game. Opportunities limitless and your path is what you make of it! So am buzzing for a new start! But I'll always go back home and visit!I love it!

Hi Kurt, I was in the exact same situation As you (minus the baby!). You can request to just go in and pick up the official marriage certificate - should only take a week at the most. We got married on a Sunday and asked if we could come get the document on the following Friday and it was no problem at all. You will need to show the consulate this official marriage certificate not the party one.

You should get it fairly soon. If I recall, I got mine three to four weeks before my interview in November.

If you go back through my posts, you'll find I posted the email in its entirety for people's reference.

Thanks Crawf33 - found the email. I knew I'd read it, but couldn't remember where / when. Haven't received our email yet, fingers crossed it turns up this week.. Our interview is 2 weeks away. I might call Sydney if it doesn't turn up this week. (not that I'm getting paranoid or anything, lol)

Am I too late?

Hi Everyone,

So I just realised that I was chosen for the 2014 lottery.

Number = 2014OC000003XX

Am I too late? Should I still send my forms off to Kentucky?

Cheers,
Renee