• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

Referring to Crawf's wonderful blog

http://crawfinusa.com/green-card-interview-process/

I had a question, if you pay the 3 or 400 bucks on the eftpos machine on the day of the interview, and then you get knocked back, do you get a refund?

No. The fee is actually an interview fee, not a visa fee. It essentially refunds them the costs of KCC handling the docs, interview at consulate etc. You get no refund if you are denied. If you get a visa, you then pay a further $165 which covers the costs of the visa packet (which they keep at USCIS like, forever), immigration process and production of your green card.

Also, does anyone know about name changes, australian name changes, and how they affect the process throughout the process, like it would be messy to have to change your name when you've collected your police report and your old high school details etc, and immunisations and so forth?

What if someone changed their name in the aftermath of being approved for the GC,

OR!!!

is it the case that since we are only CITIZENS of Australia, we can't legally change our name in the US anyway, and what our name is, is determined by the Australian governments?

In which case, you could just get an adjusted version of your american LPR documents, to relfect your name change?

So complex.

"Remember as a green card holder you are liable to file for US taxes the entire time as well. "

Thanks, what do people usually do re: taxes during their 2 year re-entry permit time out of the US?

http://www.immihelp.com/greencard/retain-greencard.html

This one says 'Do NOT enter the US on a round trip ticket"

So if one was entering the us to apply for a re-entry permit forthwith, would one be advised to buy two one way tickets at separate times?

I'd ignore that. There are a number of airlines where return fares are cheaper than one way so makes sense to buy return even if you don't use return leg. Anyway many people activate then go home to wrap up stuff.

"Remember as a green card holder you are liable to file for US taxes the entire time as well. "

Thanks, what do people usually do re: taxes during their 2 year re-entry permit time out of the US?

You have to file. Most people get the benefit of no US tax through the foreign income exemption or double tax treaties. Having a re entry permit does not guarantee you readmission and a key way they check intent to not abandon residence is if you have filed taxes with the irs.

Here's a doozy of a question for you SusieQ, or anyone else

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Self-Employment-Tax-for-Businesses-Abroad

Say someone stayed in Australia for a year or two on a reentry permit, but was self employed?

Hmmmm. Would someone have to pay the US self employment tax?

And yes, I will be getting a pro to look into this for me, but I'm just spitballing, as the yanks say, at this point.

No clue, but I'm not sure how you'd justify a re-entry permit to go be self employed somewhere other than the US?

No clue, but I'm not sure how you'd justify a re-entry permit to go be self employed somewhere other than the US?

There are family and medical care and so on reasons that are acceptable, maybe finishing a university degree that is ongoing in Australia would be a valid reason, I agree, most people use the reentry permit for job related things like working for a big corporation where they were transferred to Australia or something, BUT, if you think that it would just be easier to not get a re-entry permit and just utilize the green card's ability to let you leave for up to a year, let me know, that may be a more viable option for people who feel they may need a bit more time in Australia.

4 hours reading about reentry permits, tax in australia and the US, and I have come to the conclusion that for the self employed, getting a reentry permit and taking more time in australia is of unfathomable complexity. Red tape aplenty.

If one needed to take an extended period of time to wrap up their affairs in Australia, one would be better of, not getting a reentry permit, using just the GC to come back for around FIVE months max IMO, and not earning a single dollar in Australia while here.

It looks as though even keeping your Australian bank accounts open becomes a hassle down the line.

(I'm talking young people here, who don't own a house in Australia)

Also, does anyone know anything about this 'exit tax', say you lived in the US for a decade, and were not rich, not a high net worth individual, you wouldn't have to worry about that right?

For a poor to moderate income person, they could just move back to Australia, relinquish the Green Card and return to their normal lives without having to file US tax returns yeah?

So regarding this re-entry stuff, how long would you need to stay in the States before you can leave the country for a while, perhaps work in another country and then return without fear of Green Card being revoked?

Or would your only option be apply for re-entry permit, declare tax and hope you get exemption from paying US tax in the country you're in, and when you return hope they let you back in the country? And try become a US citizen if you want to be able to come and go from the country at your leisure?

It's all political nonsense I say. What's this country thing anyway, we should all be able to travel and work around the world as we please.

So regarding this re-entry stuff, how long would you need to stay in the States before you can leave the country for a while, perhaps work in another country and then return without fear of Green Card being revoked?

Or would your only option be apply for re-entry permit, declare tax and hope you get exemption from paying US tax in the country you're in, and when you return hope they let you back in the country? And try become a US citizen if you want to be able to come and go from the country at your leisure?

It's all political nonsense I say. What's this country thing anyway, we should all be able to travel and work around the world as we please.

Idealism aside legal and illegal immigration have key differences... As Aussies well know, yeah?

Anyway, basically you have up to a year to sort out your affairs and move after getting your GC, but absences of longer than 6 months raise eyebrows. Absences longer than 6 months also interrupt the continuous residence requirement for filing for naturalization and resets the effective date to your later entry.

You are required to file for tax as soon as (i.e. for the year) you become a GC holder, but in very few instances does this result in the average person actually paying more tax, though obviously it's an admin hassle.

Oh I see. My bad, in that case. Thanks!

Thanks for clarifying Sm1smom and SusieQQQ.

I have sent off my forms/passport photos to KCC express registered post.

My partner and I are getting married on the 11th of April (shot-gun!) and will be sending our marriage certificate to KCC, along with his forms as soon as we get them.

The KCC said my number went "current" in November '13 (mid 300's) and I will likely get an interview in May or June. I hope we can get it all done in time! I sent a cover letter with my forms informing them that I am due to marry in April and to expect my partners forms and the marriage certificate after that. Hopefully we get a June interview rather than May so we can get it all done in time :s

The other complication is that my partner and I will be travelling in Europe from late july to the start of september so I hope we don't get an interview time then either! So stressful this whole process....

Hi guys,

A little update on my progress: You may remember my little dilemma that I could not make the original date I was given for an interview (15 April). It's taken a little while, but today it was confirmed that my appointment in Sydney has been rescheduled to 22 April (after they accidentally sent me an email saying they'd 'rescheduled' to the 15th – the original date – nightmare! Nice to know they're humans too though). So, perhaps that provides some hope for others who are wondering whether it's viable to reschedule their interview. I should note that I wrote back to every email they sent me within about 10 minutes of receiving – didn't want to take any chances!

Got my fingerprints booked for the 16th and will arrange a medical now. This will be interesting as I am also relocating to Southeast Asia for work in 2 weeks' time. Yikes! Will keep everyone posted. Thanks again to everyone who's given me advice so far!

Also, do we have any hard examples of numbers that did NOT get an interview, from last year or the year before?

What's the current vibe on a dv 2014 number that is 'dreaming'?

Also, do we have any hard examples of numbers that did NOT get an interview, from last year or the year before?

What's the current vibe on a dv 2014 number that is 'dreaming'?

It's been a while since all regions did not go current at year end, but it was pretty common in the early-mid 2000s, presumably until the subprime crisis and global financial crisis made the US less attractive. That said, I don't have the numbers to hand, but if I recall correctly there was only one year that OC did not go current at year end. But there are a record number (by far) of entries selected this year.

I know there's an element of satire in what you're saying, but it's very easy for us as Australians (citizens of the "lucky country") to forget that the green card lottery wasn't designed with "people who want to have a fling with the US for awhile and then end up settling back in Australia" in mind. Its primary intention is for people who want to actually immigrate and make their lives in the United States.

I'm not pointing fingers here, because I don't intend to be in the US forever and that's always been my plan, but my point is that I think as winners not from some war-torn country or a desperate shitty home situation, we become blinded to the fact that the point is to immigrate, not take an extended working holiday.