• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

2014 DV Australian winners

I know there's an element of satire in what you're saying, but it's very easy for us as Australians (citizens of the "lucky country") to forget that the green card lottery wasn't designed with "people who want to have a fling with the US for awhile and then end up settling back in Australia" in mind. Its primary intention is for people who want to actually immigrate and make their lives in the United States.

I'm not pointing fingers here, because I don't intend to be in the US forever and that's always been my plan, but my point is that I think as winners not from some war-torn country or a desperate shitty home situation, we become blinded to the fact that the point is to immigrate, not take an extended working holiday.

Good post.

Totally, which I guess is why the US needs to revise their immigration policies and perhaps come up with some new way of doing it other than a world wide lottery. For that very reason, that it means people who desperately need a new country and those that just want an extended working holiday or the chance to have a brief working fling in the states are lumped together in the same category.

If the US had a slightly more relaxed working holiday policy (other than at the moment where one can be obtained for NZders or Aussies one year after they graduate post-high school education) and a case by case system of judging people that want to permanently move to the states, I think it would be more fair.

But yeah you're right Crawf33, perhaps on the fence people like myself shouldn't be applying for the green card lottery. But we are, because it's easy to apply and a lot of my friends have done so with the pretense of experiencing the States for as long as they feel the need to.

Not that living permanently in the States isn't a slight dream of mine as well. Just not sure whether the reality of it will be enough to give up everything on this side of the world.

Anyway, possibly not helpful ramble over, just thought I'd contribute some more.

So what's the latest anyone can have an interview again? Like last year what would have been the month of the final interviews anyone got? Thank you for your help.

It's been a while since all regions did not go current at year end, but it was pretty common in the early-mid 2000s, presumably until the subprime crisis and global financial crisis made the US less attractive. That said, I don't have the numbers to hand, but if I recall correctly there was only one year that OC did not go current at year end. But there are a record number (by far) of entries selected this year.

So if someone got interviewed in September and their medical was in early septermber, would they still have six months to enter the US and activate?

For anyone anxiously waiting for the May cut-off, I just tried calling KCC but the operator said she didn't have the Oceania cut-off yet.

Totally, which I guess is why the US needs to revise their immigration policies and perhaps come up with some new way of doing it other than a world wide lottery.[snip] If the US had a slightly more relaxed working holiday policy

Well...why should they, realistically? They have huge numbers of illegal immigrants coming through the borders, huge numbers of college kids without jobs - why open the borders to foreign travelers who want to just hang out for a year or so, work a job that's not going to make the government substantial tax dollars (by its general definition, someone on a working holiday isn't going to be making six figures in a corporate environment), then leave, when those jobs could be held by Americans so the government doesn't have to support them?

A working holiday visa works just fine for Australia where the minimum wage is good, there's a bulk of unskilled labor work (fruit picking, for instance) available and not people clamoring for work to do it. In the US, service workers who receive tips make $2.13 an hour. Sure, a foreign worker might likely attract tips if they were on a working holiday, but what happens if they don't?

On top of that, look how popular the green card lottery is for this specific purpose among those from "lucky" countries. A more lax working holiday visa would absolutely flood the US and further dilute casual job markets.

But yeah you're right Crawf33, perhaps on the fence people like myself shouldn't be applying for the green card lottery. But we are, because it's easy to apply and a lot of my friends have done so with the pretense of experiencing the States for as long as they feel the need to.

Not that living permanently in the States isn't a slight dream of mine as well. Just not sure whether the reality of it will be enough to give up everything on this side of the world.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that anyone should throw in the towel if they don't plan to move permanently and never return to Australia - that would be hypocritical of me! My point is more than those of us who DO take that approach really have no leg to stand on if we're complaining about exit taxes and other conditions on the green card. It's not designed for us, so we have to live and die by the sword on this one.

KCC has started giving out the number.Nigeria VB is 13,500.
please someone should call for the rest of the regions and its exceptions.

So if someone got interviewed in September and their medical was in early septermber, would they still have six months to enter the US and activate?

Yes, as long as your visa is printed by 30 September you are fine; and don't worry about when you have the medical - if there is an issue with that expiring they will just adjust the visa expiry date. The only date you need to worry about is the expiry date printed on your visa, which is usually 6 months from issue. As long as you enter before then, all is good.

Ok I just called. May cut off is 1100. Not fantastic :(

If it stays at this rate:

May 1100
June 1300
July 1500
August 1700
Sept 1900

Unless there is a material acceleration us people 2000+ are going to miss out.

Yes, as long as your visa is printed by 30 September you are fine; and don't worry about when you have the medical - if there is an issue with that expiring they will just adjust the visa expiry date. The only date you need to worry about is the expiry date printed on your visa, which is usually 6 months from issue. As long as you enter before then, all is good.

It is not like that anymore,they have change the six month validity period of the visa.They now take cognizance of the medical date.The validity of the visa is now based on the medical report date.I.e if your medical is done on the 1st of may and your visa is issued on 1st of june, that means your visa will expired on the 1st Nov instead of December.(you have only 5 months to move to US before it expired,failure to do this,you will not be allowed to enter at the POE.Now my own case;-i did my medical on 30th Nov 2013 and got my visa on 27th Feb 2014,when i checked the expired date on the visa;it was 30th may.So I can not enjoy the 6 month validity period.

I actually think that its not a bad number. My prediction is that everyone will be current in July

It is not like that anymore,they have change the six month validity period of the visa.They now take cognizance of the medical date.The validity of the visa is now based on the medical report date.I.e if your medical is done on the 1st of may and your visa is issued on 1st of june, that means your visa will expired on the 1st Nov instead of December.(you have only 5 months to move to US before it expired,failure to do this,you will not be allowed to enter at the POE.Now my own case;-i did my medical on 30th Nov 2013 and got my visa on 27th Feb 2014,when i checked the expired date on the visa;it was 30th may.So I can not enjoy the 6 month validity period.

They have always done that and that is why - if you read my post properly - I said they will adjust the visa date for medicals if necessary. I said the visas are usually 6 months and that the important date to note is the visa expiry... Which it is.

Some countries have the medicals valid for longer than others, though they will always tell you they are valid for 6 months, they are often "really" valid for longer. We had our medicals in mid May last year, interview in early June, visa delayed due to missing document, issued on July 1 with expiry 31 December. We entered 26 Dec with no problems - if the medicals really had only 6 month validity our visa expiry would have been earlier. I can only assume you come from one of the countries where medicals truly do only have 6 month validity. Most cases - yes not all but most - involve people having visas issued for a 6 month expiry even though it clearly will be past the supposed 6 months of the medical. Issues will arise especially if people are on AP for very long, some will have to redo medicals in that case.

They have always done that and that is why - if you read my post properly - I said they will adjust the visa date for medicals if necessary. I said the visas are usually 6 months and that the important date to note is the visa expiry... Which it is.

Some countries have the medicals valid for longer than others, though they will always tell you they are valid for 6 months, they are often "really" valid for longer. We had our medicals in mid May last year, interview in early June, visa delayed due to missing document, issued on July 1 with expiry 31 December. We entered 26 Dec with no problems - if the medicals really had only 6 month validity our visa expiry would have been earlier. I can only assume you come from one of the countries where medicals truly do only have 6 month validity. Most cases - yes not all but most - involve people having visas issued for a 6 month expiry even though it clearly will be past the supposed 6 months of the medical. Issues will arise especially if people are on AP for very long, some will have to redo medicals in that case.

Yea, i quite agree with you on this point.

I actually think that its not a bad number. My prediction is that everyone will be current in July

Hi Mijoro. Previously you'd been fairly pessimistic about case numbers over 2000 ever going current. I'm interested to know what's made you change your mind. Is it based on analysis or just optimism?

Quick question. If I get my interview and Im granted a visa and then enter the US, do I HAVE to enter with the Green Card? Or can I just go in with the visa waiver?

My issue is, is that Im planning to go to the US for Xmas (whether I get the GC or not) as a holiday. So if I get issued with my GC before then, should I (can I?) go in with a visa waiver or do I HAVE to use the GC?

Ive heard talk about being about to leave the US again for a year after you enter. How does that work? Can you just leave whenever? Or do you have to be in the US for a set time?

Quick question. If I get my interview and Im granted a visa and then enter the US, do I HAVE to enter with the Green Card? Or can I just go in with the visa waiver?

My issue is, is that Im planning to go to the US for Xmas (whether I get the GC or not) as a holiday. So if I get issued with my GC before then, should I (can I?) go in with a visa waiver or do I HAVE to use the GC?

Ive heard talk about being about to leave the US again for a year after you enter. How does that work? Can you just leave whenever? Or do you have to be in the US for a set time?

You can't enter "with a green card" before you have activated it by entering with your immigrant visa. You become a green card holder at your POE after your immigrant visa gets stamped for entry.

Yes you can leave the US again, as soon as you want (even the next flight out) for up to a year and your green card remains valid, for longer than that you are automatically deemed to have abandoned residency. Be aware that if you intend to naturalise in the future, an absence of longer than 6 months resets the 5-year calculation to the later date of entry.

I would recommend against using VWP if you have been issued an immigrant visa. The reason is, one of the ways they will determine intent to immigrate re abandoning residence is if you present yourself in any way as a non-resident, which is what VWP is for. I realise the line here is blurry if you haven't activated your residency yet but it's not a chance I'd take if you have already been issued an immigrant visa. I wouldn't want to be the one facing a CBP officer asking "why are you entering on VWP if you have an immigrant visa? Don't you want to immigrate after all? Should we let USCIS know?" (That's even assuming you're allowed to enter on VWP when you have a valid immigrant visa, but I'm not sure if there is a rule about that).

Ok thanks. I just needed to know if I could enter the US and then leave to come back at any time?
Id just enter with the GC visa and activate it and then come back to organise my things.

Ok thanks. I just needed to know if I could enter the US and then leave to come back at any time?
Id just enter with the GC visa and activate it and then come back to organise my things.

Sure you can do that, many people do it that way.