2004 Consolidated Tracker ONLY (140/EAD/AP/FP/485)

Thanks Jharkhandi,

Cherry Hill is pretty close to my Zip code(place) and we got the appointment from Cherry Hill office,NJ. Why do we need to go to SSN office? Please help me understand about SSN also why do some people's message changed to cards ordered in couple of days ? does this mean they dont need to go for PP stamping.

Regards
Kat

Jharkhandi said:
Hi Kat,

From your profile I see that you are in NJ, so I assume you are going to Newark.

Newark is pretty strict about infopass appointments and stamping - some people have been lucky but they are exceptions. I would suggest go together if you can change your appointment date - it is easy to spend 4-5 hours talking and sharing excitement. Otherwise it is indeed a long wait.

Try Federal Plaza, New York, sometimes they have appointments at one or two days notice. It is easy to reach there.

If you are in Central/South Jersey, you may try Philly - it is nice center without much wait time(people got stamped in 15 min!) - friendly staff. You can reach there by train, if you hate to drive - it will be fun for both of you.(you have to almost one day in Newark too).

Take your SSN card , usually one SSA office is in same building and you can get card changed after showing I-551 stamp.

In Newark, stamping will be done in room 310/320 on third floor and you can get SSN card changed on 31st floor after showing the stamp.

Documents needed:
Must:
485 approval Notice
Infopass appointment print-out
Passport.
I-94
EAD.

Nice to have:
485 notice
AP

Confidence booster:
All approved visa petitions.

Take good care of right hand index finger - they will take another impression of same.

All the best.

Itec,

Some more interesting chat sessions.
I think the max can be deferred inspection.

The following chat sessions from Murthy.com should be helpful:

lINK http://www.murthy.com/chatdb.php?row=0&sFor=inspection&Cat=All&B1=Search

Question : Murthiji, I will be traveling with I-485 pending, H1B status / visa and no AP. If the I-485 gets approved while I am outside, will I have a problem reentering? Will I get "deferred inspection?”
Answer : Generally, the USCIS should allow one to enter on the H1B or H-4 status or grant deferred inspection. Often, the USCIS examiner or inspector will not even have an opportunity to check the database to confirm that one"s GC was approved, so should allow the person to reenter on the H1B or H-4 status. The law allows a person to travel while the I-485 has been filed and pending with the H1B visa stamp and the H1B approval. It would seem foolish to now deny the person entry on the H1B, though it is possible that a poorly trained inspector or one believing that entry on H1B is not appropriate could give such a person a difficult time.

Kat999 said:
Thanks Jharkhandi,

Cherry Hill is pretty close to my Zip code(place) and we got the appointment from Cherry Hill office,NJ.

Well here is what people do:

They input a zip code which is closer to another office. Cherry hill is also tough with infopass. I would prefer going to Philly in that case. (it is equally easy for me to drive down or take NJT/Septa or NJT/Riverline and go to Philly). But overall staff is good in Cherry Hill.

Why do we need to go to SSN office? Please help me understand about SSN also why do some people's message changed to cards ordered in couple of days ? does this mean they dont need to go for PP stamping.

Regards
Kat

Usually SSN card has a restriction - Work with INS authorization - you can get it removed. Some employer are fussy about it, so it is advised to get it changed when you have time. Also in I-9, you can just show SSN card (without restriction).

For card ordered - yes people who get that message will get card delivered to them without stamping. Their 485 approval notice will not ask to get PP stamping done either. It is good that it saves some time. But PP stamping is good in a way too - you do not have to worry about getting card immediately - you can travel on stamped passport.

Jharkhandi,

Your answers are matured and right to the point. Why this difference in notices ? and as advised by you I will go to SSN office and get my card updated.

Once again thank you.

Regards
Kat

Jharkhandi said:
Well here is what people do:

They input a zip code which is closer to another office. Cherry hill is also tough with infopass. I would prefer going to Philly in that case. (it is equally easy for me to drive down or take NJT/Septa or NJT/Riverline and go to Philly). But overall staff is good in Cherry Hill.

Usually SSN card has a restriction - Work with INS authorization - you can get it removed. Some employer are fussy about it, so it is advised to get it changed when you have time. Also in I-9, you can just show SSN card (without restriction).

For card ordered - yes people who get that message will get card delivered to them without stamping. Their 485 approval notice will not ask to get PP stamping done either. It is good that it saves some time. But PP stamping is good in a way too - you do not have to worry about getting card immediately - you can travel on stamped passport.

Kat999 said:
Jharkhandi,

Your answers are matured and right to the point. Why this difference in notices ? and as advised by you I will go to SSN office and get my card updated.

Once again thank you.

Regards
Kat

Thanks for compliments Kat. The difference in notices is perhaps due to the fact that it is transition period and USCIS seems to be running both processes in order to evaluate how good and mature is FP code 3 for them!

My feeling is that down the line, some code 3 people will not get the card in time and then USCIS will revert partially - maybe start putting stamp(without asking for another right index FP and photographs) - this will be a nice compromise between saving time and saving hassles for applicants. Another feeling is that people will be able to exercise this option only if they do not get cards in 120 days of approval. - Just a feeling - all this may take 6 months or more, if USCIS ever realizes the pain of applicants who missed cards. Eventually most of the applicants will get cards delivered directly, but I doubt if code 1 will ever go out 100%!

Do post your experience when done with FP.

All the best.

How far we are?

We filed concurrently on dec 2003...We gor EAD and AP JULY 2004
FP on given on DEC 4 2004..
RFE 485 for my wife for medical...March 10 2005..LUD for my 485 and 140 also changed on march 14 2005..
Response recd for RFE on april 1 2005....
Can any one tell how long it approximately takes after the RFE to receive the approval...
Thanks in advance.

Info pass appointment after approval

Please advise if we got FP notice with code 3, do we need to go to Info pass for passport stamping after getting 485 approval?

or that step has now been eliminated?

itec said:
Chat User : If my I-485 is approved when I am out of the U.S. and I don't have an AP, how can I reenter the U.S.? Using an H1B?

Attorney Murthy : A person is allowed to enter and be paroled into the U.S. or enter on H1B with the idea that s/he is supposed to get the PP stamped soon after entry. It is no longer correct to enter on H1B if one has actual knowledge of the I-485 approval when s/he is abroad, unless that individual informs the CBP Inspector of the I-485 approval and is then granted parole to enter the U.S. to get the PP stamped within a certain timeframe. Technically, entry is no longer possible on H1B after the I-485 has been approved, unless one is not aware of the approval when abroad.

Note: No mention about what happens if visa has expired. Well no one will stay outside US untill visa expires but who knows :confused:

I saw one funny guy he filed 485 w/o W-2, pay stubs, pictures and medical hoping that USICS is idot

Chat User : My wife's travel document has expired. She is in India, and her I-485 got approved. What choices does she have to enter the country and get her green card stamped in the passport?

Attorney Murthy : If she does not have either H-4, H1B, or the AP, then she may be stuck abroad until the principal obtains the GC and then files the following-to-join paperwork for her. This process could take 6 to 12 months or longer, depending upon how long the I-824 could be approved, unless the consulate agrees to process the attorney certified I-140 as a courtesy in an EB case. If there was an emergency that prevented the person from traveling, then one could risk trying to enter on humanitarian parole, but that is subject to the discretion of the CBP Inspector, and sometimes such a person is sent back on the next flight without ever leaving the airport. Consult your immigration attorney on any other possible options in such a difficult case.

Still make sure with your lawyers regarding this matter because USICS has clearly mentioned that one must have AP if you have filed AOS (485) and your visa expires when you are out of country.

Lawyer comments are not correct. One can maintain non-immigrant status(dual intent ) until 485 is approved. Whole idea is that your 485 may be denied based on underlying 140 petitions or inadmissibility issues on adjustment of status. One is always encouraged to maintain/extending non-immigrant(H1/L1/F1.. etc) to prevent from becoming 'Out-of-status' and illegal once your 485/EAD/AP denied and out-of H1.
At POE, if you are coming/claiming as you are non-immigrant (no AP), you MUST not present AP/485 notices to complicate ICE officers. Thing is if you don't have AP (or expired AP), then you are treated as 'abondonment of 485' which will negatively impact your adjustee status.

Due to Uncertainity of my 140/485 approval, I insisted my attorney to file 9th year H1-B ext to prevent my self thrown 'out-of-status' if my 140/485 would be denied. My 9th year H1 ext was approved from 06/2005 to 06/2006. Since I got pp stamped, I won't be using H1 non-immigrant status even I have unused H1 visa till 06/2006

sowhat said:
Please advise if we got FP notice with code 3, do we need to go to Info pass for passport stamping after getting 485 approval?

or that step has now been eliminated?

The security at local CIS office don't let you in unless you have INFOPASS appointmnt, no matter what.

Only exception to infopass appointmnt is you have to convince security that it is emergency or life/death situation. 'unitednations' experienced this situation.

lohith said:
The security at local CIS office don't let you in unless you have INFOPASS appointmnt, no matter what.

Only exception to infopass appointmnt is you have to convince security that it is emergency or life/death situation. 'unitednations' experienced this situation.

Thanks Lolith..Just one more question for clarification. Is it necessary to do passport stamping after I-485 approval?

I am getting to understand from the forums that maybe we do not need passport stamping for people who did Fingerptinting and biometrics Code 3- photo and fingerprinting..Or am I mistaken?

Now I am confused ...

Please clarify this for me..

For Biometrics, do we need to take an appointement with infopass? I thought we just take the letter that UCSIC send us with all the related documents and show up at the Service Center on that day.. Please tell me, our appointment is in less than 10 days and I do not want to go to do the FP and be rejected because I did not take an appointment with info pass.. :(

It was about to ability to pay and my attorney said he will reply next week. I got it in last week of Feb 2005 and I have time till May 2005. So lets see.

tiredofw8ing,

You do not need to take infopass appointment for FP. If your FP Notice code is 3, then they will take FP and Biometrics at the ASC. FP notice and the ID documents are sufficient.

Sowhat is talking about biometrics after GC approval when stamping PP.

tiredofw8ing said:
Please clarify this for me..

For Biometrics, do we need to take an appointement with infopass? I thought we just take the letter that UCSIC send us with all the related documents and show up at the Service Center on that day.. Please tell me, our appointment is in less than 10 days and I do not want to go to do the FP and be rejected because I did not take an appointment with info pass.. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
rrcreddy4 said:
It was about to ability to pay and my attorney said he will reply next week. I got it in last week of Feb 2005 and I have time till May 2005. So lets see.

Thanks for your reply. All the best.

Suggestions

Hello ,
Kindly advise me on the following situation.
Last month I relocated from Sanjose to CT. I also did change of address(AR-11, Phone update, sending info to VSC etc...), but still they had transferred to sanjose office for interview.
1. My attorney says it is better to fly to sanjose, and face the interview,since transferring the file from sanjose to CT might be delayed.
Is it legal to stay in one state and attend interview in another ?
2. Where will my interview notice will go (whether old address or new address in CT) OR I understand that attorney will also get a copy of interview letter, If I didn't receive the letter, can I use attorney's letter for interview?
3. Last but not the least, the reason I think for interview on my case is
while my 140/485 was filed, I was working for another employer and my GC sponsor is different. I applied for transfer to my GC Sponsor and got 7th yr extn too. I think the 485 adjudicator might be under impression, that my
GC sponsor and current employer might be different, hence the reason for interview.

Jharkand and knowledgeable gurus's - kindly advise
thanks
Ranjani

Update

We went to Hackensack, NJ for FP, they didnt allow my wife to get the FP done early even if it was like 3 days after mine. BUT atleast there were no lines nor were there any parking issues. It took like 1/2 hr to finish everything. Looks to be a new center.

RLNY122004 said:
I received the email saying my I140 application got approved today. Thanks everyone for help.! Now the wait for I485 begin.

Congrats...That was quick. All the best for your 485.

Could you tell me how long it took for the RFE to reach your lawyer/employer?
I had a LUD after I received the RFE notification email. What does it mean. I'm expecting it to be the date when they actually mailed the letter. How long it might take for these people to receive it and respond. What is the time limit? Please respond.

Thank you.

After a long time i have seen LUD on my wifes 131

After a long time i have seen a LUD on my wife's 131 on 04/01 there is no message change.
I am not understanding what is going on.

Any thoughts ....????

hi, Lohith:

why do you want to withdraw your eb3?

what might happen if you do withdraw it?

would you please comment