Waiting Asylum decision

Hello

At the time of the interview, what role do dependent play? how long are they expected to be present? Do they need to prepare for the interview?
what happen if the dependent is taking are of toddlers and newborn who are not dependents, is there a way the AO can excuse them from attending for such a long duration with kids?
I am quite confused about this.
Is anyone encountered this situation?
The dependent has to answer a few general questions that everybody has to answer.
The dependet have m to be there, You have to find who can take care or your kids, no daycare is no an excuse, I do have kids and I had to arranged care for them.

Hello

At the time of the interview, what role do dependent play? how long are they expected to be present? Do they need to prepare for the interview?
what happen if the dependent is taking are of toddlers and newborn who are not dependents, is there a way the AO can excuse them from attending for such a long duration with kids?
Dependents can be interviewed at the beginning or the end of your interview depending on the officer. They can stay out on the lobby during your interview. And they are only asked for basic biographical question, such as name, date of birth, place of birth, nationality and association with any terrorist group. Their questioning takes 5-10 minutes max and there’s no preparation needed. It is your case, not the dependents. Most officers that are empathetic and care would bring all of you in, so that the dependents can be interviewed so that they can go home while you are being interviewed.

Hello

It depends my son, who was 15 then, had the option not to come into the interview, but I chose to bring him along. He was not asked any questions by our interviewing officer, and he ended up asking when we could expect a decision. I would recommend bring your child in if they are an important part of your case (e.g. they are the reason you left previous country etc.), it has a way of gaining a little sympathy. Wish you all the best.

It depends my son, who was 15 then, had the option not to come into the interview, but I chose to bring him along. He was not asked any questions by our interviewing officer, and he ended up asking when we could expect a decision. I would recommend bring your child in if they are an important part of your case (e.g. they are the reason you left previous country etc.), it has a way of gaining a little sympathy. Wish you all the best.
Dependents can be interviewed at the beginning or the end of your interview depending on the officer. They can stay out on the lobby during your interview. And they are only asked for basic biographical question, such as name, date of birth, place of birth, nationality and association with any terrorist group. Their questioning takes 5-10 minutes max and there’s no preparation needed. It is your case, not the dependents. Most officers that are empathetic and care would bring all of you in, so that the dependents can be interviewed so that they can go home while you are being interviewed.
The dependent has to answer a few general questions that everybody has to answer.
The dependet have m to be there, You have to find who can take care or your kids, no daycare is no an excuse, I do have kids and I had to arranged care for them.
Thank you so much!!

If your spouse is part of your asylum claim (i.e., if she/he was also harmed in the home country and is part of your asylum story), does the asylum officer ask your spouse more questions beyond the standard background questions? Any insights on this?

No they do not ask them. Your suppose will be asked to take oath and then yes/ no kind of questions
Like were you having any contact with or supporting any terrisit or organisation
No
Next question
Then next….
Spouse will be sent out to the waiting area along your minor if you bring them on interview date
And officer will complete main part of interview with the primary applicant.
Maximum 5/10 minutes general yes no question from your suppose.

yes thank you, yours will come, I file for Mandamus in June , honestly I am not sure if that was why or just a coincidence because the Attorney that did for has not even told me but she said when she filed that they must answer on or before Aug 15th
Congrats brother ! did you attended any hearing for the mandamus or they just delivered decision before the hearing ?

Good luck my friend! I’ve been following this website for months and yes I’m still waiting for a decision after interview two years ago with San Francisco asylum office, I tried all I can do and it’s still pending, and that’s really good news to me because it looks like we have the same timeline, I can only pray to god for a good result. The best is yet to come!
Same office, it has been 2.5 years since interview. Please update if you hear anything.

Has anybody ‘threatened’ to file mandamus if no decision has been made on your case and actually worked?

Has anybody ‘threatened’ to file mandamus if no decision has been made on your case and actually worked?
Worked for my interview. Pretty sure can work for decision as well.
It's got to be official though (Letter of Intent + docs to prove that you tried other routes).
Not just email to USCIS with threat to file.

It's got to be official though (Letter of Intent + docs to prove that you tried other routes).
I am in similar situation. Still scared to fill mandamus because, the last update I received from Congress man includes statement like "We understand MR. x could be frustrated for long wait but USCIS has obligation to balance individual inconvenience and public safety" Is this one of the case where you don’t want to “poke the bear” there may be facts in your case which are questionable and if prompted, may precipitate a negative decision. Do you guys think they are trying to throw me under the permanent bar ? do you recommend mandamus for cases like this one ?

Last edited:
Congrats brother ! did you attended any hearing for the mandamus or they just delivered decision before the hearing ?
I did not attend any hearing, l was asked to go to Sf office on the 19th for my son's identification and a week later l saw decision mail .l am yet to receive my letter but my attorney sent a copy to me and itcwas even approved before l was ask to go for identification ( approved on the 15th)

I am in similar situation. Still scared to fill mandamus because, the last update I received from Congress man includes statement like "We understand MR. x could be frustrated for long wait but USCIS has obligation to balance individual inconvenience and public safety" Is this one of the case where you don’t want to “poke the bear” there may be facts in your case which are questionable and if prompted, may precipitate a negative decision. Do you guys think they are trying to throw me under the permanent bar ? do you recommend mandamus for cases like this one ?
Just go for it that doesn't change your decision, from my own knowledge our case has been decided since interview, my attorney told me that filing for mandamus doesn't affect the decision, l regretted not doing it earlier because l was scared. Don't waste your time especially if you have family back home . Wish everyone the best

Hi everyone, does anyone know how to speed up the process to get a decision on the interview? I have been waiting for a decision for over 3 years. I have been calling, emailing the newark asylum office a lot in the last year. I tried ombudsman and congressman as well. Nothing helped. What do you recommend I do at this point?

Hi everyone, does anyone know how to speed up the process to get a decision on the interview? I have been waiting for a decision for over 3 years. I have been calling, emailing the newark asylum office a lot in the last year. I tried ombudsman and congressman as well. Nothing helped. What do you recommend I do at this point?
Unfortunately only mandamus can get stuck cases moving nowadays.