• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2023 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

I don't have my or my wife's Birth Certificates on hand, it's in my home country and it would cost a lot to send it here and it could probably take up to 2 months to get it (if it doesn't get lost or returned to the sender by the mailing service). Is it possible to pass the AOS process without the original Birth Certificate, only copies? Is there a high risk to be denied if me or my wife (the primary applicant) don't have it on hand?

Try to not compare apples and oranges please. You were already based in the US as a F1 student even if you were visiting home when the results came out - you had plans of returning for your studies, didn’t you? I think you should be able to come up with an appropriate response on your own if that question gets asked. My response which you quoted is to someone planning on coming to the US on a visitor’s visa - completely different situation from you.
Dear Mom,

Thanks for the clarification it was just a panic query before I left for my interview, I had my interview and it lasted just 10 minutes the IL just asked for my passport and said my GC is under printing already (guess it was pre decided) and it will reach to me in few days, and my status was updated in 30 minutes too.

WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS THE GRATITUDE FOR THIS FORUM, REALLY A BIG THANKS TO mom
You are just like a mom to me and others always replying promptly,
I really wanted to hug you at the end of the interview !!

Had it not been for this wonderful forum I would have struggled a lot in this journey, Hats off guys ...

Dear Mom,

Thanks for the clarification it was just a panic query before I left for my interview, I had my interview and it lasted just 10 minutes the IL just asked for my passport and said my GC is under printing already (guess it was pre decided) and it will reach to me in few days, and my status was updated in 30 minutes too.

Had it not been for this wonderful forum I would have struggled a lot in this journey, Hats off guys ...
Congrats! Enjoy your new life!

Dear Mom,

Congrats!

Dear Mom,

We submitted our bios on January 19, 2023. Our current status is "Fingerprints were taken". My number is around 3 thousand (EU). We contacted the USCIS live chat, and they informed us that no interview had been scheduled for us. When should we begin to be concerned? Do you think we should also contact the congressman?
Thank you!

I don't have my or my wife's Birth Certificates on hand, it's in my home country and it would cost a lot to send it here and it could probably take up to 2 months to get it (if it doesn't get lost or returned to the sender by the mailing service). Is it possible to pass the AOS process without the original Birth Certificate, only copies? Is there a high risk to be denied if me or my wife (the primary applicant) don't have it on hand?
Sending the original documents will cost much more than the GC is worth to you? You mean there are no courier services for sending mail from your country to the US, that’s why it could probably take up to 2 months for your original documents to get sent and received? Even if that’s the case, considering you’re yet to file (or you just filed) two months is enough time to receive the documents before you will be required to present it.

The I-485 instructionmakes it clear an original document could be requested:

"You should submit legible photocopies of documents requested, unless the Instructions specifically state that you must submit an original document. USCIS may request an original document at the time of filing or at any time during processing of an application, petition, or request. If USCIS requests an original document from you, it will be returned to you after USCIS determines it no longer needs your original."

You can decide to take a chance and not get the original document sent, hoping they would not be requested. Here are a couple of interview experiences where the IO requested to see the original birth certificate and some other documents by the way, so your call if you wish to send for it or not:
Post #1
Post #2
Post #3

Dear Mom,

Congratulations.

Dear Mom,

We submitted our bios on January 19, 2023. Our current status is "Fingerprints were taken". My number is around 3 thousand (EU). We contacted the USCIS live chat, and they informed us that no interview had been scheduled for us. When should we begin to be concerned? Do you think we should also contact the congressman?
Thank you!
I don’t have an insight into your case history, so I can’t say if you need to be concerned at this point or not. I suggest you add your timeline to the Timeline spreadsheet - that will provide the needed insight and possibly help us better understand your situation.

Hi @Sm1smom, thank you for the accurate reply (as always)!

I also had the feeling the agent was not correct since I have contacted Emma live agents other times and they have always confirmed that the case was at the Queens FO, indeed one time an agent even said Queens is usually a busy office and it may explain the dalay.

About the other Selectee filing in October, If i understood which selectee you are referring, they may have asked for a AP (I have read this in some post here), so I don't know if this can impact on the timeline for interview.

About this part of your response: "Nonetheless, you may wish to initiate congressional case follow up assistance at this point - as in contact your congress person's office and request their assistance with following up on your case with USCIS."

1. how do I get to know who is my congress person's office to contact?
2. Is there a form to fill up or is it an email I have to send? In this case, do you have examples of this kind of email to show?

Also, the agents always send me to visit the link of Case processing time, but application based on DV lottery are not included, so I wonder if there is another way to check the processing time for DV AOS.

Thanks,
N.

PS: I contacted Emma live agent again and asked directly if my case was at the FO queens, they said the Queens FO received the case on 12/6/2022 (which is few day after my fingerprints), i think this makes more sense.
@Nicdep I am also at Queens FO, current in October, Fingerprints in November (baileysmom_42 on the SS - I've requested my UN here be updated, but much like my DV Case, that has also been pending for a long time!).

I just contacted a live agent, and same response - My case is with the Queens FO and they are processing my case. I asked if it was typical for Queens processing times to be this long, and she said yes (although previous years, Queens seemed to be a relatively quick one).

I assume nothing has moved with your case recently either? Did you contact a congress person? I'm thinking it might be time to do that myself.
But I also have a sneaking suspicion that Queens is taking a leaf out of the Brooklyn FO playbook from past years, and plans to batch-process the cases (which would suck for all of us who were lucky to be current early!).

Applying for AP has nothing to do with the delay - if you take a look at the section of the spreadsheet I referenced earlier on, you’ll get a better understanding of who does what.

1&2 Take a look at the FAQ section of the AOS Process Spreadsheet.

I asked if it was typical for Queens processing times to be this long, and she said yes (although previous years, Queens seemed to be a relatively quick one).
A live agent wouldn't know things like that, take statements like this with a grain of salt. IMHO there is not even a single live agent that knows what a DV-based application is.

Live agent wouldn't know things like that, take statements like this with a grain of salt. IMHO there is not even a single live agent in this country that knows what a DV-based application is.
Yeah, I knew that was a waste of a question, but figured WTH.

I have submitted a congressional request for help. We'll see if that amounts to anything.

I don’t have an insight into your case history, so I can’t say if you need to be concerned at this point or not. I suggest you add your timeline to the Timeline spreadsheet - that will provide the needed insight and possibly help us better understand your situation.
Hi Mom,

Thank you for getting back to me. I just added our timeline to the Timeline spreadsheet. I appreciate it if you can take a look.

Hi everyone! I hope you are all well :)

I re-submitted my AOS based on DV again on March 1st when my number became current (they rejected the application 4 weeks before March 1st). However, it has been 2 weeks now and I have not received the notice (when I got rejected, the rejection came within 5 days).

I know technically it can come between 2-4 weeks, but I am getting a bit paranoid because I just noticed that the UPS agent, when I mailed the application, entered in the "Ship To" field the LockBox number, then my phone number, then the whole USCIS address (as shown in the image below). Is there any chance this ended up in the wrong location? I do have proof of delivery from UPS but it does not give much info.

Please let me know what you think and thank you in advance!
Screen Shot 2023-03-17 at 1.45.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-03-17 at 1.43.51 PM.png

Hi everyone! I hope you are all well :)

I re-submitted my AOS based on DV again on March 1st when my number became current (they rejected the application 4 weeks before March 1st). However, it has been 2 weeks now and I have not received the notice (when I got rejected, the rejection came within 5 days).

I know technically it can come between 2-4 weeks, but I am getting a bit paranoid because I just noticed that the UPS agent, when I mailed the application, entered in the "Ship To" field the LockBox number, then my phone number, then the whole USCIS address (as shown in the image below). Is there any chance this ended up in the wrong location? I do have proof of delivery from UPS but it does not give much info.

Please let me know what you think and thank you in advance!
View attachment 4013View attachment 4014
Actually my Fedex proof of delivery showed just Elgin too. I did receive my NOA, BM and Approval notice. So please dont be worried

Hello everyone. My aos package delivered to Phoenix lockbox at March 3, and I’m still waiting for notification text , is it ok ?thank you.

Last edited:
Dear Mom,

Thank you!
DV2022 reported cases from your same FO received the IL about two months from package acceptance by the Lockbox, your timeline shows you’ve waited longer than they did. Your package was delivered in Dec. 2022, you can initiate a congressional case follow up assistance at this point.

Hi,
I filed my I-485 AOS package on January 6th 2023 to Phoenix Lockbox and had the biometric appointment on February 1st 2023. However, I didn't hear any updates after that. Our Field office is in Nashville but When I contacted the USCIS, the automatic response said they have completed the review of my fingerprints and working on my application at the National Benefits Center.
Unfortunately, my apartment lease ends in April and has to move to a different apartment. So, my question is
1) Is it possible/wise to change the address now? If so how to do it? Is there a chance to miss letters from USCIS by doing so?