• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

Good morning @Sm1smom I updated the excel sheet. So, I wanted to reshare my question. Thank you so much.
There is only 1 other entry from my field office (norfolk) so I can't understand how interviews are scheduled as a rule. In this 1 example, he/she got the interview date notification even before he attended the bio interview (he/she didn't do walkin according to the excel.)
How does NBC schedule the final field office interview or send the file to the local office? My bio was for this this week, I did walkin last week. But no interview notification as I checked thru customer service chat. And the chat agent told me that my file is still at NBC and under review etc.
The NBC does not schedule the interview appointment, each FO schedules the interview as their workload permits. Yes the other case got their IL before completing their bio, the FO possibly had a lighter workload around that time, hence their ability to schedule the interview when they did. That may not be the same with when you filed. You filed in July, maybe the FO is a lot busier this time around than they were back in April/May. The NBC sends the case file to the FO right after scheduling the bio appointment, they typically do not hold on to the case file (they have no reason to). Just because the chat agent or frontline agent on the phone says your case is still at the NBC does not necessarily mean that is true, I've said that over and over again.

p.s. when did your CN become current? That info is missing from the spreadsheet.

@Sm1smom I got this from ombudsman office,

Thank you for contacting the CIS Ombudsman’s Office. In response to our inquiry, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) indicated that your I-485 (Other Classification)- Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Other Classification) will be scheduled for an interview.

You should receive your interview notice by mail at the address USCIS has on file. If you do not receive your notice within 10 days, please contact USCIS at 1-800-375-5283 or through one of the customer service options offered by the agency. Please visit USCIS Tools and Resources | USCIS to obtain additional information and explore the agency’s Customer Service Tools and Resources.

Because USCIS has acted, our office will be closing this matter.

Senator office said they are waiting for your official record they dont know when that may be.
USCIS email said pending interview

Does this mean i will receive a notice in 10 days or does it mean they will wait until they receive official records and they don't know when will that arrive ?

@Sm1smom I got this from ombudsman office,

Thank you for contacting the CIS Ombudsman’s Office. In response to our inquiry, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) indicated that your I-485 (Other Classification)- Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Other Classification) will be scheduled for an interview.

You should receive your interview notice by mail at the address USCIS has on file. If you do not receive your notice within 10 days, please contact USCIS at 1-800-375-5283 or through one of the customer service options offered by the agency. Please visit USCIS Tools and Resources | USCIS to obtain additional information and explore the agency’s Customer Service Tools and Resources.

Because USCIS has acted, our office will be closing this matter.

Senator office said they are waiting for your official record they dont know when that may be.
USCIS email said pending interview

Does this mean i will receive a notice in 10 days or does it mean they will wait until they receive official records and they don't know when will that arrive ?
I think you'll just have to wait and see at this point, I can't interpret or guess what the different messages are supposed to mean, seeing the updates are through 3 different sources.

Just wanted to update everyone that my husband and myself got our green cards today. Thanks to everyone on this forum as it was so helpful during the process. Wishing everyone still waiting the best of luck!!
Congratulations!!! I look forward to that day when I can announce to this august house such an update. But Indianapolis FO :(

@Sm1smom I got USCIS agents on the phone last Tuesday, August 2 to put in an expedite request for the i-485 citing my -824(FTJ) as the reason for the request to enable ample time to process it. I received a surface mail acknowledging the request but without a decision or any specific duration when a decision will be made.
1. Do you know how long such requests may last before a decision is communicated?
2. Are the FOs concerned about one's i-824 applications, or do they factor it in determining interview scheduling?

NB: I have already contacted a couple of consulates seeking their readiness to accept to adjudicate my FTJ upon approval of i-485. So far its been positive with some asking for further and better particulars.

Is anyone else in LA waiting for their interview letter? @ccccccc have you received any update?
Hi! I’m also waiting for the interview in LA. Are you also waiting? If you don’t mind me asking, when did you complete your biometric and what is you case status? I did my in the end of April and my case number is 4xxx. I’ve been contacting USCIS several times, but didn’t get any update from them.

@Sm1smom I got USCIS agents on the phone last Tuesday, August 2 to put in an expedite request for the i-485 citing my -824(FTJ) as the reason for the request to enable ample time to process it. I received a surface mail acknowledging the request but without a decision or any specific duration when a decision will be made.
1. Do you know how long such requests may last before a decision is communicated?
2. Are the FOs concerned about one's i-824 applications, or do they factor it in determining interview scheduling?

NB: I have already contacted a couple of consulates seeking their readiness to accept to adjudicate my FTJ upon approval of i-485. So far its been positive with some asking for further and better particulars.
1. It could last as long as the FO wishes. There's no way to predict it.
2. No, they're not necessarily concerned or focused on that. Their focus is to adjudicate the cases directly under their jurisdiction which is your AOS application itself.

Hi! I’m also waiting for the interview in LA. Are you also waiting? If you don’t mind me asking, when did you complete your biometric and what is you case status? I did my in the end of April and my case number is 4xxx. I’ve been contacting USCIS several times, but didn’t get any update from them.
Is your info in the spreadsheet? Didn’t see anyone else in LA - mines in there I did bio mid July and USCIS status is fingerprints were taken. Have you initiated a congressional inquiry?

Hey all! Also wanted to post here that my wife and I received our green cards in the mail today! We've updated the spreadsheet for anyone in LA who needs those data points for their AOS processes. Thanks again to Mom and everyone for the unbelievably helpful advice on this invaluable forum - all the best to everyone!!

Hi!
My wife and I have filed two I-485s. The first one was over a year ago based on my pending NIW application. The second one was based on DV that we filed in May (my wife is the principal applicant) after we gave up on waiting for getting my NIW application gets approved.

Finally, after almost 19 months, my NIW got approved. At the same time, an interview was scheduled for our DV cases. We attended the interview last week in LA FO and our application status has been "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed" since then. The officer was very friendly and the interview went very well. He didn't even ask any questions about our pending AOS based on EB2-NIW. I expected that he asks about the other pending AOS cases as my wife used her Combo card last year and traveled outside the US due to a family emergency and entered the US as a parolee. The officer just confirmed that she is a parolee and was fine with the immigration status of both of us (I'm on F1 status). At the end of the interview, the officer told us that he doesn't make on-the-spot decisions, especially since he has not received an original file (I guess from KCC), and we should wait up to a month.

We planned to withdraw our AOS-NIW cases after our AOS-DV cases get approved; however, the officer has not approved our DV cases yet. Today, the status of our I-485s based on NIW has been changed to "Case Was Transferred And A New Office Has Jurisdiction". This update seems reasonable as my NIW got approved a few weeks ago. However, it raised a few questions for me:
1- I was wondering if these two parallel AOS cases may have any impacts on each other.
2- Is it possible that both of the AOS cases get approved?
3- Should we do anything at this point? e.g., contacting USCIS and making them aware of our situation.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Hi!
My wife and I have filed two I-485s. The first one was over a year ago based on my pending NIW application. The second one was based on DV that we filed in May (my wife is the principal applicant) after we gave up on waiting for getting my NIW application gets approved.

Finally, after almost 19 months, my NIW got approved. At the same time, an interview was scheduled for our DV cases. We attended the interview last week in LA FO and our application status has been "Interview Was Completed And My Case Must Be Reviewed" since then. The officer was very friendly and the interview went very well. He didn't even ask any questions about our pending AOS based on EB2-NIW. I expected that he asks about the other pending AOS cases as my wife used her Combo card last year and traveled outside the US due to a family emergency and entered the US as a parolee. The officer just confirmed that she is a parolee and was fine with the immigration status of both of us (I'm on F1 status). At the end of the interview, the officer told us that he doesn't make on-the-spot decisions, especially since he has not received an original file (I guess from KCC), and we should wait up to a month.

We planned to withdraw our AOS-NIW cases after our AOS-DV cases get approved; however, the officer has not approved our DV cases yet. Today, the status of our I-485s based on NIW has been changed to "Case Was Transferred And A New Office Has Jurisdiction". This update seems reasonable as my NIW got approved a few weeks ago. However, it raised a few questions for me:
1- I was wondering if these two parallel AOS cases may have any impacts on each other.
2- Is it possible that both of the AOS cases get approved?
3- Should we do anything at this point? e.g., contacting USCIS and making them aware of our situation.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
1. Most likely your DV based AOS application IO requested for the NIW immigration file. This is quite normal when there are multiple applications in the system at the same time.
2. Nope, they will not approve both AOS cases, only one will be approved. The second one will subsequently get denied after a while if not withdrawn.
3. You do not need to do anything. The decision makers are already aware of your situation.

Reactions: nld
Hello Mom,

Do I still have hope? I have not seen any updates on my case even though the other applicant in my same FO has seen card production last week. I reached out to my congressional representative and here is attached response;

Currently, 80% of Form I-485 applications out of the National Benefit Center are being processed in approximately 14 months. However, in some instances, application processing may take longer. Your application was received by USCIS on April 4, 2022. At this time, USCIS processing guidelines indicate that your application will fall outside normal processing times on October 23, 2023. If you have not received anything from the agency by this date, my office can assist with making an inquiry to USCIS.

Exceptions to this policy are made only by providing proof that meets the following criteria:

• Severe financial loss to company or individual, provided that the need for urgent action is not the result of the petitioner's or applicant's failure to timely file the benefit request, or timely respond to any requests for additional evidence
  • Extreme emergent situation
  • Humanitarian situation
  • Nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States
  • U.S. government interests or National Interest Situation (Note: Request must come from official United States Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to our Government)
  • USCIS error

From the above response, I presume USCIS is treating my case like the regular i-485. I responded back to the Senator highlighting why my case is an Extreme Emergent Situation with a link and screenshot that visas cannot be carried over to the next fiscal year. I have an FTJ case as well. I also responded back to KCC but there is no sure way to tell if they have sent my case file to USCIS as they keep responding back with the same generic email:

The adjustment of status fee to the Department of State has been paid or indications on your DS-260 show that you wanted to adjust your status in the US. The payment of the adjustment of status fee indicates to KCC that you are residing in the US and wish to process your case at the local USCIS office. As a result, KCC did not continue the processing your case. To continue this case to consulate processing, please notify KCC with your request.

Hello Mom,

Do I still have hope? I have not seen any updates on my case even though the other applicant in my same FO has seen card production last week. I reached out to my congressional representative and here is attached response;

Currently, 80% of Form I-485 applications out of the National Benefit Center are being processed in approximately 14 months. However, in some instances, application processing may take longer. Your application was received by USCIS on April 4, 2022. At this time, USCIS processing guidelines indicate that your application will fall outside normal processing times on October 23, 2023. If you have not received anything from the agency by this date, my office can assist with making an inquiry to USCIS.

Exceptions to this policy are made only by providing proof that meets the following criteria:

• Severe financial loss to company or individual, provided that the need for urgent action is not the result of the petitioner's or applicant's failure to timely file the benefit request, or timely respond to any requests for additional evidence
  • Humanitarian situation
  • Nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States
  • U.S. government interests or National Interest Situation (Note: Request must come from official United States Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to our Government)
  • USCIS error

From the above response, I presume USCIS is treating my case like the regular i-485. I responded back to the Senator highlighting why my case is an Extreme Emergent Situation with a link and screenshot that visas cannot be carried over to the next fiscal year. I have an FTJ case as well. I also responded back to KCC but there is no sure way to tell if they have sent my case file to USCIS as they keep responding back with the same generic email:

The adjustment of status fee to the Department of State has been paid or indications on your DS-260 show that you wanted to adjust your status in the US. The payment of the adjustment of status fee indicates to KCC that you are residing in the US and wish to process your case at the local USCIS office. As a result, KCC did not continue the processing your case. To continue this case to consulate processing, please notify KCC with your request.
May I ask if you clarified what DV is in your interaction with congressman's caseworker?

Hi! Yes I clarified what DV is. I explained everything in detail.
Hmm, may I ask if
Currently, 80% of Form I-485 applications out of the National Benefit Center are being processed in approximately 14 months. However, in some instances, application processing may take longer.
is a response from USCIS that the caseworker was forwarding to you or was their own response? Some congressmen know the differences better if immigration (or opposing to it) is in their agenda. My congresswoman voted against immigration bills, except for DV, so I know her office knows what DV is. Either way, I would make sure to clarify that again. Maybe attach the DoS's webpage on DV lottery. Here is an example I submitted. If that did not help, contact the senator.

Last edited:
Hmm, may I ask if

is a response from USCIS that the caseworker was forwarding to you or was their own response? Some congressmen know the differences better if immigration (or opposing to it) is in their agenda. My congresswoman voted against immigration proposals, except for DV, so I know her office knows what DV is. Either way, I would make sure to clarify that again. Maybe add the state department's web on DV lottery. Here is an example I submitted. If that did not help, contact the senator.
Okay, thanks so much, i would make sure to clarify again and use your template, thanks again.

Hello Mom,

• Humanitarian situation
  • USCIS error

Attach the first notification letter which shows clear dates of the diversity visa application