• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

Hello everyone
Regarding police certificates, it is said that a certificate is required for those who are 16 years of age or older and have lived in their country of nationality at any time in their life.
It is important to understand country of nationality and not country of birth?
Because my husband was born abroad and came here as a refugee at the age of 13. So he left his country of birth at 13 years old and he obtained the French nationality, country where he has been living since he was 13.
They're one and the same in this case, don't overthink it. The instruction actually says:
"If you are 16 years of age or older, you must obtain a photocopy of a police certificate from all countries you have lived in ..."

They're one and the same in this case, don't overthink it. The instruction actually says:
"If you are 16 years of age or older, you must obtain a photocopy of a police certificate from all countries you have lived in ..."
Thank you for your help and
I agree with you but it also says: "using below criteria:"
And if you follow their criteria, it's not about the country of birth.
I was wondering: if my husband had left his country when he was 2 or 3 years old, it would be weird to ask for a police certificate but it would be the case according to your logic. So I'm a little confused.

I was wondering: if my husband had left his country when he was 2 or 3 years old, it would be weird to ask for a police certificate but it would be the case according to your logic. So I'm a little confused.
Again, country of birth and country of nationality in this case means the same thing, a complete waste of time over-analyzing this IMO. However, you can opt to think otherwise (and not submit the PCC from his country of birth) in which case you and your spouse will find out when KCC continues to send you document request emails or at the end of your interview if indeed he is required to submit the PCC from his country of birth. Wouldn't it make sense to err on the side of caution then?

Did your spouse actually formally renounce his previous nationality when he acquired French nationality, or is he a dual national?

Anyway like mom I would err on the side of caution for this. The hassle of getting the certificate vs the hassle that may result of of not getting it is a clear choice imo. (And yes, leaving at 2 or 3 falls well within the definition of “for more than 6 months at any time in your life”, regardless of what you might personally decide is a reasonable age for cut off…it’s not “our logic”, it’s the official requirement.)

When did you submitted before being asked ?
Yes, I took Britsimon's advice first and sent the documents without being asked. I sent them twice without being asked because the first time I made a mistake with my case number and I was afraid it would be a problem.
But today I finally received the request for documents.

Again, country of birth and country of nationality in this case means the same thing, a complete waste of time over-analyzing this IMO. However, you can opt to think otherwise (and not submit the PCC from his country of birth) in which case you and your spouse will find out when KCC continues to send you document request emails or at the end of your interview if indeed he is required to submit the PCC from his country of birth. Wouldn't it make sense to err on the side of caution then?
I understand your logic better and I agree with you. It is better to submit the document for nothing than to receive the email again and risk wasting more time.
Your advice is valuable and has helped me a lot. I thank you for it.
Now it will be complicated to apply for the certificate because it has to be applied for in Iraq. I am afraid that this will delay the processing of our file as well and I wonder if this is even possible at this time in the current context of the country.

I understand your logic better and I agree with you. It is better to submit the document for nothing than to receive the email again and risk wasting more time.
Now it will be complicated to apply for the certificate because it has to be applied for in Iraq. I am afraid that this will delay the processing of our file as well and I wonder if this is even possible at this time in the current context of the country.
That’s not what the official DoS page says. The page on civil documents links to the reciprocity pages (again, please take care to read the instructions properly) where you will see “Applicants outside Iraq can apply for a certificate through the Iraq Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence.” https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...city-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Iraq.html

I know one case of 2021 who got lucky enough to get an interview in the last days of September but they were asked to provide PC which by rules was not even required (less than 6 months). There case went AP and Fiscal year is over, they've lost their chance.

So it's better be delayed than completely failed.

I know one case of 2021 who got lucky enough to get an interview in the last days of September but they were asked to provide PC which by rules was not even required (less than 6 months). There case went AP and Fiscal year is over, they've lost their chance.

So it's better be delayed than completely failed.
Do you imply it is important to go with the Police Certificate to the interview? If yes therefore (just prepare an affidavit of support) to include. They may ask for any documents. Can someone with good knowledge list documents which we may need but may haven’t been included in what people should take to the interview. I think it’s going to help many people.

Just for more clarification, it was not any country, but country of citizenship, claimed through parents, but never actually lived there.

I don't know any other details, as it's no my story or someone I know closely.

and it's the same in above situation, it's a country of birth, so it's important.

Just for more clarification, it was not any country, but country of citizenship, claimed through parents, but never actually lived there.

I don't know any other details, as it's no my story or someone I know closely.

and it's the same in above situation, it's a country of birth, so it's important.
The bold bits seem to contradict each other? Born there but never lived there?
Anyway on the face of it seems the request was correct - there is no minimum period or age limitation to request for PCC of country of nationality if you ever lived there. And on the face of it it’s reasonable to assume you lived there at some point if you were born there.

Do you imply it is important to go with the Police Certificate to the interview? If yes therefore (just prepare an affidavit of support) to include. They may ask for any documents. Can someone with good knowledge list documents which we may need but may haven’t been included in what people should take to the interview. I think it’s going to help many people.
Please read the instructions for selectees thoroughly. Police certificates and other civil documents are required for the interview- all listed there. An affidavit is not going to get you out of a document that is required.

The bold bits seem to contradict each other? Born there but never lived there?
Anyway on the face of it seems the request was correct - there is no minimum period or age limitation to request for PCC of country of nationality if you ever lived there. And on the face of it it’s reasonable to assume you lived there at some point if you were born there.
I meant the situation of our forum member, in the later case.

So two situations:
The one I know - Has citizenship through parents, never actually lived - PC was requested.
Another one, Joyfamily.Fr's case - person was born, lived there only as a child - PC is needed.

As is usually the case, when people counter and get reluctant to follow the advice or suggestions they’ve been provided with, it is because they want to avoid what they feel may be a complicated process. Getting the Iraqi PCC is not as complicated as you’ve assumed, Susie has provided further guidance above on how to go about obtaining this PCC.

You don’t need a lawyer for document translation. You basically need to find someone who is fluent in both English and the language in which the document is originally written in. The person will need to certify their fluency in both English and the language the document is being translated from. See below for sample certification statement the translator is required to provide:

Are you sure? They don't have to be a sworn translator? I myself am fluent in Spanish and English and can't find a translator in my country that translates Spanish -> English since both languages are foreign to my country. Can I translate the Spanish PCC myself?

Are you sure? They don't have to be a sworn translator? I myself am fluent in Spanish and English and can't find a translator in my country that translates Spanish -> English since both languages are foreign to my country. Can I translate the Spanish PCC myself?
Yes I am sure. And no, you or your family member should not be the one doing the translation. It should be done by someone who has nothing to gain from your DV selection.

Hi, should the police certificates (or any of the other documents) have an Apostille? Nothing of that sort is mentioned on the email they send you requesting your documents, but I just wanted to make sure.