• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

I wrote to my office in Sacramento, where I was interviewed. Did you mean San Francisco? But my case is related to the case of my husband, and his case is in San Francisco and we have problems because of his case, since it is either lost either during verification or something else, we cannot find out ...
All offices were initially interested in my husband's case, so my officer said that he would request my husband's case, but there was no answer and we could not find out what was happening with his case ..
.The same problem with obtaining an SSN, 5 times the SSN office made a request and USCIS does not confirm our status, although we are all in one package, we all have the same status, but SSN got only to my daughter, but she does not have a case, she is in my husband's case and in my case.
Everyone has a work permit and it has a different status: for my husband and my daughter C08, I have A05 ...
USCIS San Francisco did something wrong and now we have a problem because of this, so I still haven't received my decision .. but it's not my fault and where I call we are told everything looks good ..
Only the SSN office says that we have a problem with USCIS, and USCIS is silent or pretends that everything is fine ..
Sorry for my english, but I hope you can understand ..
1. Why is your AOS application with the Sacramento FO while your husband’s AOS application went to the SF FO? You guys do not live together? This is important because you stated your IO in Sacramento was interested and waiting for your husband’s case file from San Francisco.
2. If you and your husband are not living together, does your daughter reside with you or your husband?
3. Did your initial denial notice indicate both your husband’s and daughter’s AOS applications were subsequently denied?
4. Your husband filed for Asylum in Nov. (after you all had gone out of status in Oct) and had you and your daughter listed as his derivatives, right?
5. The asylum approval notice you got back in May, was it for the entire family or where you the only one that received the approval?
6. Your EAD with the A05 code (granted Asylee) and your husband/daughter’s with C08 (Asylum pending) - when did you apply and when were they issued? Before or after asylum approval?

Your responses to the above questions will provide a better understanding of your situation and could possibly help provide guidance on what your next steps should be as against jumping on the bandwagon of “write to the FO” step you already took or which some asked you to undertake without quite understanding what is going on. The genesis of the ongoing delay in decision you’re currently facing coupled with the fact that your AOS application was previously denied for 2 reasons - early filing and for being out of status may be traceable to one or two responses to the above questions (considering the other two folks wrongly denied without an interview by the same Sacramento FO when yours was initially denied have since been approved).

Hello everyone,

I’m a DV 2021 winner and has submitted my AOS application rather late - it was received by Chicago Lockbox on August 11th, 2021.
Given that my FO is Brooklyn, NY I was very afraid that I want be able to get my biometrics and interview appointments on time. But happily I got it - on the same day. It is scheduled for 9/23 - first interview in the morning and than biometrics at 2pm.

What do you think - is there still enough time after interview and biometrics to be approved before 9/30?

And 2 more questions.

With my interview notice I received a document called “Diversity Visa I-485 Attachments”, that states what evidence should I bring with me. Among others it says about my medical form. But I have already sent it with my initial application. Does that mean that they have lost it or is this letter just a standard form?

And question about financial evidence. It is hard for me to get Affidavit of Support, but I am able to bring an Offer of employment to the interview. Is it still good enough? Or are there any requirements for the company that makes that offer?

Thank you all in advance!
1. Approval depends on when and if you’re able to clear the background check on or before Sept. 30th COB (USCIS will do their best to push the case through, seeing how they’ve quickly scheduled your bio and interview in comparison to when you filed). So you’ll just have to wait and see at this point.
2. They have not lost the medical form, it is simply a generic list. Nonetheless, still take along your copy of the I-693 which you submitted (I’m assuming you do have a copy).
3. Is the company a real one and the offer of employment is indeed genuine? That is what matters, in addition of course to what they intend to pay - the IO will take the listed salary on the employment offer letter into consideration.

Is this an FO inquiry you are preparing? I would just say that "only X days are left to the deadline please make a decision on my case ASAP or let me know if you need any further information". PERSONAL OPINION: I won't use "to devote a little time to my situation" or "which very important to my family". I'd write it straight to the point.

PS: What have you done so far to follow up your case?
Thank you. I already wrote to them and sent additional documents, but they returned them back and wrote not to write to them without a request, the congresswoman wrote. and left her a message, but she doesn't respond ... On Thursday I sent the form to the Ombudsman and I'm going to call on Monday, probably I'll call the Senator on Monday if I can't connact with the Ombudsman.

I agree you should make it more like Blade's, nice and short. Additionally, don't use "AOS" because they might not know what that means. Write "adjustment of status". Also, don't tell them exactly how to help you, like "submitting an appointment inquiry". Instead tell them what you need (i.e. to get your interview, and to get your case adjudicated before the deadline). Also make sure that you explain the deadline clearly like in Blade's example. You only said "the DV fiscal year ends on September 30th". That won't mean anything to the staff in your congressperson's office. They probably know nothing about the DV lottery and have no idea that the end of the FY is a deadline for DV.

Finally, consider adding something emotionally appealing at the end. A one-liner, but something with a positive, optimistic tone - "It's my dream to become a permanent resident and eventually a US citizen - I am now at risk of losing my chance due to the deadline, and I would be forever grateful if you could help." I don't know if this will make a difference but I don't think it will hurt.
Thanks so much for this!!

1. Why is your AOS application with the Sacramento FO while your husband’s AOS application went to the SF FO? You guys do not live together? This is important because you stated your IO in Sacramento was interested and waiting for your husband’s case file from San Francisco.
2. If you and your husband are not living together, does your daughter reside with you or your husband?
3. Did your initial denial notice indicate both your husband’s and daughter’s AOS applications were subsequently denied?
4. Your husband filed for Asylum in Nov. (after you all had gone out of status in Oct) and had you and your daughter listed as his derivatives, right?
5. The asylum approval notice you got back in May, was it for the entire family or where you the only one that received the approval?
6. Your EAD with the A05 code (granted Asylee) and your husband/daughter’s with C08 (Asylum pending) - when did you apply and when were they issued? Before or after asylum approval?

Your responses to the above questions will provide a better understanding of your situation and could possibly help provide guidance on what your next steps should be as against jumping on the bandwagon of “write to the FO” step you already took or which some asked you to undertake without quite understanding what is going on. The genesis of the ongoing delay in decision you’re currently facing coupled with the fact that your AOS application was previously denied for 2 reasons - early filing and for being out of status may be traceable to one or two responses to the above questions (considering the other two folks wrongly denied without an interview by the same Sacramento FO when yours was initially denied have since been approved).
1. We live together. My husband has a case on politics and he was interviewed in May, there is no answer yet.
2. The daughter lives with us.
3. Yes. And then they rediscovered it to everyone and we were three for the interview in Sacramento. and on August 30, only the daughter was summoned for a finger scan.
4. No, we did not have a delay. the status ended on November 29, the case was submitted a week before the end of the status.
5. Our asylum has not been approved, we have not received an answer. The status on my work permit was probably set by mistake, since my husband is the main applicant. they could not approve of him without him.
6. The interview on the shelter took place on May 17 and there is still no decision. On May 25, 765 forms were sent and in June work permit cards were received in this order, first husband, then I, then daughter.

Hi guys, I've submitted my ds260 forms 2 months ago, I've not received any email to send my supporting documents. Any help on when I should expect the email or anyone received theirs??
Again, how do I know my CN is high or low?

Kindly help

Hi guys, I've submitted my ds260 forms 2 months ago, I've not received any email to send my supporting documents. Any help on when I should expect the email or anyone received theirs??
Again, how do I know my CN is high or low?

Kindly help

Are you a DV2021 winner? This is the DV2021 adjustment of status thread. For the AoS process, the DS260 doesn't matter. Also, everyone is current now so case numbers don't really matter either. But if you haven't begun the Aos process by now, there is probably no chance since there's only 12 days left.

Good news to share! This afternoon I missed a call from my FO. I was like, this is not true, call from USCIS on Saturday? anyway frantically tried to return the call but could not get through, needed the extension number. I quickly checked my online status and it had changed to "New Card being produced" the best news of the day ever!

From my previous posts here, this has been a rollercoaster journey. My work requires that I travel on short notice, and I did that twice without AP when my application (submitted in May) was pending. After my return in July, I posted here and I remember MOM saying " big mistake traveling while case is pending." I already had appointments in August for BM and IL issued from pending case submitted in May, which of course would be considered abandoned. I went ahead and submitted new application mid Aug, which was accepted 3 days later. Last week of August had interview for first case submitted and same week received NBC letter stating my BM from previous case will be used for new application but fee will not be refunded. I was supposed to travel again on humanitarian call just before the interview, I made this clear to the IO, he said I should ask for AP, meanwhile he would be requesting file from KCC and expedite my second application file from NBC...he could see see my second application online. I left the office unsure of what to do.

After the interview, I made an infopass and asked for AP for urgent humanitarian travel to the Middle East. Appointment was set and I was issued AP for 60 days (at no cost, God bless their hearts!) the first week of September. At that point I had not heard back from FO about interview decision. I traveled a week later.. While on travel mode, I was getting anxious, therefore yesterday made a congressional inquiry.

So grateful for all insights on this forum, I have read comments, suggestions and stories that have always made settle down. Thank you all.

1. We live together. My husband has a case on politics and he was interviewed in May, there is no answer yet.
2. The daughter lives with us.
3. Yes. And then they rediscovered it to everyone and we were three for the interview in Sacramento. and on August 30, only the daughter was summoned for a finger scan.
4. No, we did not have a delay. the status ended on November 29, the case was submitted a week before the end of the status.
5. Our asylum has not been approved, we have not received an answer. The status on my work permit was probably set by mistake, since my husband is the main applicant. they could not approve of him without him.
6. The interview on the shelter took place on May 17 and there is still no decision. On May 25, 765 forms were sent and in June work permit cards were received in this order, first husband, then I, then daughter.
I’m going to try and rephrase
your responses (to help my train of thoughts):
1. All 3 DV based AOS applications (with you as the main applicant) are with the Sacramento FO. All three Asylum cases (with your husband as the main applicant) are with the San Francisco FO. His clarification is important as your previous posts seem to suggest your IO in Sacramento was waiting on your husband’s AOS case file from San Francisco. - It is normal for the asylum case file to be requested before a pending AOS application gets adjudicated.
4. My apologies for mis-stating your status as at the time you filed for Asylum, and thanks for correcting that. Yes you were still in an authorized status when you filed for asylum. However, when you filed for AOS, you no longer had a valid status to AOS from, which is the 2nd reason your initial rejection notice stated. To overcome that, you got issued with a RFE about your status at the end of your interview in August.
5. Back in July you stated over and over in this post that your Asylum case had been approved and that you already received the approval. Seems like you got an erroneously issued EAD card (which you should have contacted USCIS to get corrected by the way), is that what you were referring to as your asylum approval? Yes of course, your asylum case couldn’t have been approved if your husband, who is the main applicant is still pending.

Here’s what I think is going on with your case:
1. The San Francisco FO has not lost your husband’s asylum case file like you’re claiming, you got interviewed for that in May, they however haven’t made a decision on the asylum case.
2. Your IO is aware of the sunset clause associated with DV based AOS applications, some I’m sure he/she has not forgotten about your case. The 2 other cases initially denied with yours for early by the same FO have since been approved. Yours would have also been approved by now but for:
a - your being out of status when you filed for AOS - most IOs do not consider “Asylum-Pending” to be a valid status to AOS from. Your IO needs some time to review the response you sent with the regards to the RFE you got issued with.
b - the Sacramento IO needs to review your husband’s asylum case file to confirm it was a meritorious filing and not simply a frivolous application to keep you in the US until your DV CN became current to enable you file for AOS.
3. I believe the more you write/try to contact the IO unsolicited, the more you’re likely to piss him/her off (already evidenced by your returned mail in which you stated they’ve told you to not contact them unsolicited). You could inadvertently cause the IO to make a decision to deny your case(if he/she was learning towards approving it despite he/she not considering asylum-pending to be a valid status). If they feel unnecessarily pressured with requests for your case coming from several places, they may decide to deny and get it over with.
4. Your case is not quite straightforward, so my final thought is for you to allow the process to take its course. Yes, I know you’ll most likely feel l have no idea what this approval means for your family and you can’t afford to not do anything at this point, the truth is the final outcome is really out of your control. Bottom line, I don’t feel you should continue writing to the IO. You could cause more damage than good to your case at this point. You may disagree with me of course and do what you feel is best for your case.

Hi, everyone.

I am a winner of DV21. CN is EU12***. I know it is too late to start the AOS process. But hope dies last.
I am going to start the process next week. My medical examination will be ready on Wednesday according to my doctor. My AOS package is almost ready. Also, I am going to try using online forms of application.

Is there any chance that USCIS will provide AOS procedures after the FY-21 for winners DV 21?
Or did I miss out on my opportunity already?
Is it worth trying?
What do you suggest?
Thank you.

Hi, everyone.

I am a winner of DV21. CN is EU12***. I know it is too late to start the AOS process. But hope dies last.
I am going to start the process next week. My medical examination will be ready on Wednesday according to my doctor. My AOS package is almost ready. Also, I am going to try using online forms of application.

Is there any chance that USCIS will provide AOS procedures after the FY-21 for winners DV 21?
Or did I miss out on my opportunity already?
Is it worth trying?
What do you suggest?
Thank you.
Your cannot submit your AOS application online. There is less than two weeks left for the FY to end, and you’re just planning on filing next week? Well, you may get scheduled for an interview long after the FY has already ended (if you don’t receive a denial notice first without an interview on the basis of the FY being already over), you most definitely will not be approved though. Complete waste of time, and resources IMO. But your money, your case, proceed if you like.

Your cannot submit your AOS application online. There is less than two weeks left for the FY to end, and you’re just planning on filing next week? Well, you may get scheduled for an interview long after the FY has already ended (if you don’t receive a denial notice first without an interview on the basis of the FY being already over), you most definitely will not be approved though. Complete waste of time, and resources IMO. But your money, your case, proceed if you like.
Do I need to send these packages without my medical examination?
Does not work the form i-485 online on the site of USCIS?

Do I need to send these packages without my medical examination?
Does not work the form i-485 online on the site of USCIS?
1. I-485 may be submitted without the medical report with the intent of taking it along to the interview or responding to an RFE should one be issued for the medical report.
2. Again, form I-485 cannot be filed online.

1. I-485 may be submitted without the medical report with the intent of taking it along to the interview or responding to an RFE should one be issued for the medical report.
2. Again, form I-485 cannot be filed online.
in theory you can also send medical AFTER the 485, but from all the info I read on the internet, you better hold on to it until your interview date. With only two weeks left, I am not sure they would have time to schedule the interview before October 1

in theory you can also send medical AFTER the 485, but from all the info I read on the internet, you better hold on to it until your interview date. With only two weeks left, I am not sure they would have time to schedule the interview before October 1
Yes of course, I’m aware of that option also. The potential issues associated with that option which you listed is precisely why I did not mention it in the first place.

Good news to share! This afternoon I missed a call from my FO. I was like, this is not true, call from USCIS on Saturday? anyway frantically tried to return the call but could not get through, needed the extension number. I quickly checked my online status and it had changed to "New Card being produced" the best news of the day ever!

From my previous posts here, this has been a rollercoaster journey. My work requires that I travel on short notice, and I did that twice without AP when my application (submitted in May) was pending. After my return in July, I posted here and I remember MOM saying " big mistake traveling while case is pending." I already had appointments in August for BM and IL issued from pending case submitted in May, which of course would be considered abandoned. I went ahead and submitted new application mid Aug, which was accepted 3 days later. Last week of August had interview for first case submitted and same week received NBC letter stating my BM from previous case will be used for new application but fee will not be refunded. I was supposed to travel again on humanitarian call just before the interview, I made this clear to the IO, he said I should ask for AP, meanwhile he would be requesting file from KCC and expedite my second application file from NBC...he could see see my second application online. I left the office unsure of what to do.

After the interview, I made an infopass and asked for AP for urgent humanitarian travel to the Middle East. Appointment was set and I was issued AP for 60 days (at no cost, God bless their hearts!) the first week of September. At that point I had not heard back from FO about interview decision. I traveled a week later.. While on travel mode, I was getting anxious, therefore yesterday made a congressional inquiry.

So grateful for all insights on this forum, I have read comments, suggestions and stories that have always made settle down. Thank you all.
Congrats! Enjoy your new status!

PS: Would be helpful for future users if you add your timeline to the spreadsheet.

I’m going to try and rephrase
your responses (to help my train of thoughts):
1. All 3 DV based AOS applications (with you as the main applicant) are with the Sacramento FO. All three Asylum cases (with your husband as the main applicant) are with the San Francisco FO. His clarification is important as your previous posts seem to suggest your IO in Sacramento was waiting on your husband’s AOS case file from San Francisco. - It is normal for the asylum case file to be requested before a pending AOS application gets adjudicated.
4. My apologies for mis-stating your status as at the time you filed for Asylum, and thanks for correcting that. Yes you were still in an authorized status when you filed for asylum. However, when you filed for AOS, you no longer had a valid status to AOS from, which is the 2nd reason your initial rejection notice stated. To overcome that, you got issued with a RFE about your status at the end of your interview in August.
5. Back in July you stated over and over in this post that your Asylum case had been approved and that you already received the approval. Seems like you got an erroneously issued EAD card (which you should have contacted USCIS to get corrected by the way), is that what you were referring to as your asylum approval? Yes of course, your asylum case couldn’t have been approved if your husband, who is the main applicant is still pending.

Here’s what I think is going on with your case:
1. The San Francisco FO has not lost your husband’s asylum case file like you’re claiming, you got interviewed for that in May, they however haven’t made a decision on the asylum case.
2. Your IO is aware of the sunset clause associated with DV based AOS applications, some I’m sure he/she has not forgotten about your case. The 2 other cases initially denied with yours for early by the same FO have since been approved. Yours would have also been approved by now but for:
a - your being out of status when you filed for AOS - most IOs do not consider “Asylum-Pending” to be a valid status to AOS from. Your IO needs some time to review the response you sent with the regards to the RFE you got issued with.
b - the Sacramento IO needs to review your husband’s asylum case file to confirm it was a meritorious filing and not simply a frivolous application to keep you in the US until your DV CN became current to enable you file for AOS.
3. I believe the more you write/try to contact the IO unsolicited, the more you’re likely to piss him/her off (already evidenced by your returned mail in which you stated they’ve told you to not contact them unsolicited). You could inadvertently cause the IO to make a decision to deny your case(if he/she was learning towards approving it despite he/she not considering asylum-pending to be a valid status). If they feel unnecessarily pressured with requests for your case coming from several places, they may decide to deny and get it over with.
4. Your case is not quite straightforward, so my final thought is for you to allow the process to take its course. Yes, I know you’ll most likely feel l have no idea what this approval means for your family and you can’t afford to not do anything at this point, the truth is the final outcome is really out of your control. Bottom line, I don’t feel you should continue writing to the IO. You could cause more damage than good to your case at this point. You may disagree with me of course and do what you feel is best for your case.
Yes, okay, I understand you. then I shouldn't go anywhere else. But I already sent a letter to the local office this morning and I can't anything to it. There just a request to consider my case before September 30.

I am also registered on the Russian-language forum the winnings with the expectation of asylum. And there are many endorsements of my case and even without going through the interview. And those who were interviewed on the AOS were not interrogated on asylum issues, their case was not asked for decisions they received who in three days, who within a week, I think it depends on the officer, but we apparently got an officer with experience in conducting interviews on asylums, so as the main applicant I am, but he was only interested in my husband's business ... the human factor ... many move only because of a loyal office to refugees in LA and SF
Thank you mom, for your answers and your time for us.

Yes, okay, I understand you. then I shouldn't go anywhere else. But I already sent a letter to the local office this morning and I can't anything to it. There just a request to consider my case before September 30.

I am also registered on the Russian-language forum the winnings with the expectation of asylum. And there are many endorsements of my case and even without going through the interview. And those who were interviewed on the AOS were not interrogated on asylum issues, their case was not asked for decisions they received who in three days, who within a week, I think it depends on the officer, but we apparently got an officer with experience in conducting interviews on asylums, so as the main applicant I am, but he was only interested in my husband's business ... the human factor ... many move only because of a loyal office to refugees in LA and SF
Thank you mom, for your answers and your time for us.
Good luck one way or the other with your cases.

Good luck one way or the other with your cases.
In any case, I am grateful to you for your chat, it is a very reliable and important support, which I trusted more than anyone I found on the Internet. Whatever the decision this will be my experience, I would regret it if I did not take the risk. It's a pity. that there is no standard law, but only the human factor, which decides your fate ... That in this status one is given a refusal to others ... As for asylum, some have a decision within 2 months for others and more than a year ... of course II understand if my husband's officer made a decision, then my probability would be much greater .... but I was really afraid that they had forgotten about us. they often lose people's cases, forgetting about them for years ...