• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Situation at the POE

0BoT1

Hi,

We have a weird situation that happened when we entered in USA - Los Angeles airport (LAX), and the officer didn't wanted to take our documents... (the sealed envelopes). I insisted, but he didn't want to take them.... He said that it's not necessary and that we should keep them. We then went to the hotel and the next day we did some research and asked on this forum as well, and we rapidly understand that the officer made a mistake. Next day we where still in L.A. and I called immigrantion office at LAX and they asked me to bring all the documents (for me, my wife and our son) to their office at the airport. Then the next day we had our flight to our final destination in Phoenix.
Our SSN didn't arrived, and after 3 weeks we had to call the local SSA office and made an appointment then went to the SSA office and the SSN cards came in mail after another 2 weeks. Now, is been 3 months and we didn't received the GC (only our 3yo son received it about 1 month ago). My wife asked USCIS trough their contact form online what is happening with her GC and now we both received an USCIS Biometrics Appointment letter for the end of September.
I think that they messed up our applications... Another thing that we saw when our son received his GC is that it says that the date when he became a resident is 13 June, and we actually entered in 12 June.... Basically our documents where processed on 13 June I think, when I took them back to the immigration office at LAX.

What do you think of all this mess? It is something that we should be worry about? Thank you!

Hi,

We have a weird situation that happened when we entered in USA - Los Angeles airport (LAX), and the officer didn't wanted to take our documents... (the sealed envelopes). I insisted, but he didn't want to take them.... He said that it's not necessary and that we should keep them. We then went to the hotel and the next day we did some research and asked on this forum as well, and we rapidly understand that the officer made a mistake. Next day we where still in L.A. and I called immigrantion office at LAX and they asked me to bring all the documents (for me, my wife and our son) to their office at the airport. Then the next day we had our flight to our final destination in Phoenix.
Our SSN didn't arrived, and after 3 weeks we had to call the local SSA office and made an appointment then went to the SSA office and the SSN cards came in mail after another 2 weeks. Now, is been 3 months and we didn't received the GC (only our 3yo son received it about 1 month ago). My wife asked USCIS trough their contact form online what is happening with her GC and now we both received an USCIS Biometrics Appointment letter for the end of September.
I think that they messed up our applications... Another thing that we saw when our son received his GC is that it says that the date when he became a resident is 13 June, and we actually entered in 12 June.... Basically our documents where processed on 13 June I think, when I took them back to the immigration office at LAX.

What do you think of all this mess? It is something that we should be worry about? Thank you!
I’m not sure if this is a repeat post or a third one, but I’ve seen two other posts report that they didn’t get their GCs and had to do bio here first. There seems to have been some issue with bios at the airport and I’m guessing it’s fingerprints, because the under 14 kids (don’t need prints) are getting their cards. You should hopefully get the GCs once the biometrics are done.

You should also inform uscis of the error date on the GC. You have the stamp on the passport to show the entry date. As it is not your error they should replace the GC at no charge.

Thank you for your response! At the POE the officer only took us photos, so no fingerprints. But we heard from other families that entered after us that they didn't get their fingerprints either, only the photo.

Also, how can we inform USCIS about the error date... They are very hard to reach, we tried on their online platform (we created accounts), by chat, phone, and contact form... Our experience with USCIS support is the worst ever! By phone is next to impossible to get to a real agent, the AI robot doesn't let you. By chat if they don't know what to answer they just give you a link and then they disconnect you. By their contact form they answer after 2-3 weeks and is usually a copy-paste answer, nothing specific to your real issue.

From my understanding the people who collect biometrics do not have access to your file, and cannot give you advice or information about your case... So that's also not helpful... We feel a bit down and stuck in all this birocratic nonsense and don't really known what steps should we do... My wife had a job opportunity and she can't even get to the interview because they need the physical Green Card... I hope that somehow it will be fine at the end of all this and we will get our green cards.

Thank you for your response! At the POE the officer only took us photos, so no fingerprints. But we heard from other families that entered after us that they didn't get their fingerprints either, only the photo.

Also, how can we inform USCIS about the error date... They are very hard to reach, we tried on their online platform (we created accounts), by chat, phone, and contact form... Our experience with USCIS support is the worst ever! By phone is next to impossible to get to a real agent, the AI robot doesn't let you. By chat if they don't know what to answer they just give you a link and then they disconnect you. By their contact form they answer after 2-3 weeks and is usually a copy-paste answer, nothing specific to your real issue.

From my understanding the people who collect biometrics do not have access to your file, and cannot give you advice or information about your case... So that's also not helpful... We feel a bit down and stuck in all this birocratic nonsense and don't really known what steps should we do... My wife had a job opportunity and she can't even get to the interview because they need the physical Green Card... I hope that somehow it will be fine at the end of all this and we will get our green cards.
I thought we had index fingers or something taken at POE but that was nearly 8 years ago now so I can’t be sure. I know kids u14 have no fingerprints and no signature on GC.

Actually technically they don’t at all need the physical green card, but I understand it’s hard to argue with a prospective employer.

form i90 (you can file online) is the form you need to fill in for a corrected green card. If you note that the reason for replacement is dhs error you will not be charged the filing fee. They will not send a new green card just because you tell someone over the phone or an inquiry form that there is an error. https://www.uscis.gov/i-90

Last edited:
I don’t think there’s an error on your son’s GC. You were not processed as a LPR on June 12th, you were admitted but not processed as a LPR if your package wasn’t collected. Because your package was collected and processed on June 13th when you had to return and hand it over, that was explains the June 13th listed date being reflected as the permanent resident since date. I don’t think there’s anything to correct in this case.

I’m not sure if this is a repeat post or a third one, but I’ve seen two other posts report that they didn’t get their GCs and had to do bio here first. There seems to have been some issue with bios at the airport and I’m guessing it’s fingerprints, because the under 14 kids (don’t need prints) are getting their cards. You should hopefully get the GCs once the biometrics are done.
It is a repeat post from the same OP.

I don’t think there’s an error on your son’s GC. You were not processed as a LPR on June 12th, you were admitted but not processed as a LPR if your package wasn’t collected. Because your package was collected and processed on June 13th when you had to return and hand it over, that was explains the June 13th listed date being reflected as the permanent resident since date. I don’t think there’s anything to correct in this case.
Thank you for clarifying that, is great to hear at least one good news :)

I would respectfully disagree, the visas are stamped as of 12 June and CBP overlooking to take the envelope (I guess they have mostly been getting electronic packets) doesn’t change that. But one day is hardly material so not sure it’s worth pursuing (though I personally would send in the i90 tbh seeing as it’s a no cost in this case).

Update:

I was scheduled for the biometrics at USCIS, went there at the schedule date (it was 3 days ago), they took my fingerprints, photo and signature. I don't know what will happen next... I hope to receive the green card, it's been almost 4 months... My wife has her biometrics appointment next week.

When I check my USCIS case online, still no updates... I really don't understand why we have to "suffer" from their mistakes...

I have an hypothetical question... What if another month goes by and they don't produce our green card? Should I contact a lawyer in that case, or what should we do?

Thank you!

P.S.

Fun fact: Opposed to our situation, we know a family that arrived 2 months after us, in the same city, they got their SSN in 1 week, and their GC are mailed to them, so on the way...

Last week he went to DMV and got his driving license that will expire in 25 years... I've got mine and it will expire in 1 year... I plan to go to the same DMV and ask for another driving license. :))

Last edited:
P.A.T.I.E.N.C.E! You’ll need to have a lot of that when it comes to dealing with USCIS. You will get your GC, it may not be in the next one month like you’re hoping. You may not see any new updates online, it doesn’t mean something is wrong or that they’re trying to make you “suffer” “from their mistakes”. There’s nothing a lawyer can do about this, don’t throw your money away hiring one. Yes, mistakes happen. They’re already working at fixing it. So be patient.

p.s. your wife could have also attended her bio appointment with you as a walk-in by the way without waiting an additional week or two to do so.

Thank you so much for your feedback. We will have patience :) not much to do anyway...
In addition I think that we can submit that USCIS form also ( the one for cases outside the processing time ).

On the case status the current update is this:
I-551 I-551 Permanent Resident Card
Submitted on June 15, 2021

May 19, 2021 Immigrant visa payment received

Can my wife go at any time at USCIS for the biometrics? Or is better to respect the appointment (is on October 10)?

Thank you once again! :)

Update October 28

It's been almost a month since I had my biometrics appointment at USCIS here in Phoenix. My current status is this: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS (October 4, 2021).

I know that this should be resolved at some point, but it was a stressful year and now this is starting to feel like there is an extra weight that we are waiting to be lifted from our hearts. We are in contact with a lot of DV 2021 winners from our country that entered the US after us and everything went smooth with their documents. We are now almost 5 months since we entered the US and we have no news about our Green Card.

Not really a question here, just wanted to document this situation and give an update... although I hope nobody has to deal with this issue.

This is the answer from a USCIS customer representative agent :

The only status updates that can be shared with the applicant/petitioner are updates that require the applicant's/petitioner's participation, such as appointments or notices. All other status updates are internal information that the applicant/petitioner is not privy to, and cannot be discussed with you. The last status update we can share with you is biometrics received on 10/05/2021. This does not mean that the case is not progressing, it merely means that it is going through steps that cannot be disclosed to you. Aside from that, your case is currently processing normally with no issues. You can get an idea of how long it will take to process your case from the processing time table available on our website at egov.uscis.gov/processing-times. If your receipt date is before the “Receipt date for a case inquiry", you can submit an e-request at egov.uscis.gov/e-request/Intro.do. The Forms Center East is the location that has final decision jurisdiction over your case, thus is the location used to determine the processing times for your case.

After he sent me this, he disconnected from the chat... and that's all...

I tried submitting an e-request at egov.uscis.gov/e-request/Intro.do ; unfortunately, this is the message that I get:

Your application or petition is currently within the posted processing times. An inquiry may not be created at this time. Further information about recent processing times can be viewed on the uscis.gov webpage. If you have other questions regarding your application or petition, contact USCIS Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283 or 1-800-767-1833 (TTY). Return to Main Inquiry Page View all USCIS Self Service Online Tools

These are the processing times for the Green Card... we are way past the 90 days.

print screen uscis - processing time.jpg

Update time! It is almost Christmas and I didn't received my Green Card yet, it is unbelievable... 6 months has passed from when we entered USA and more then 2 months from when I had the biometrics appointment at the local USCIS office.

On a more positive note, my wife received her Green Card about one month ago, so it's only me that I am still waiting for it...
Don't know what to think or what to do... Hopefully I will receive my Green Card somewhere in January... December is all about holidays, so I don't have any expectations for this to happen this year.

Happy holidays to everyone on this beautiful community!

Looks like USCIS just wanted to make me a Christmas gift all this time so, surprise-surprise! My card is being produced and I will probably receive it before New Year (thank you @Frantz for that positive thought!)

IMG_20211223_151559.jpg

Finally! After almost 7 months I'll get my GC!

Once again, I just want to thank you all for your help and support! This Forum is the best immigration forum

Happy holidays