• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

thanks @Blade_ for clarification, my assumption was, one should be within status until the end of September :)
Not if you have properly filed an AOS application; the requirement is to be in status when it is filed. If you are maintaining a prior status and AOS is denied or not completed, you can fall back on that status. If you no longer have an underlying status and AOS is denied or not completed, you need to leave the US immediately .

It's really not a case of USCIS staff not knowing about their own regulations. IMO, the onus was on you to have gone in adequately prepared to demonstrate you've completed the 2 year HRR - considering you did not meet this requirement consecutively. The IOs are more familiar with people presenting waivers or evidence of consecutive completion - as in they are more used to straight forward situations. They deal with a lot of cases with all sorts of different nuances, they can't be expected to know the details of all the regulations in their head, hence her telling you she needed to research your claim. If only you had attended your interview with the INA printout which supports your claim.

Yes, she will look into it. So you just need to be patient for now. Give it a couple of weeks.
I have a couple of more Qs just to get prepared if things go south. Also, I couldn’t even think of the possibility of someone thinking the 2 yr rule being consecutive. In my work, we always go to meetings, conferences, workshops in all over the world. This means, with that perspective, 2 yr requirement will start from the beginning every time I go somewhere. I brought documents about public charge rule, no need I-864, F1 student working on campus etc, but didn’t think of INA 212 (e). Anyway, it is too late for this. I would appreciate it if you could give insights on the following Qs:
1. Does it make sense or possible to mail to IO’s USCIS address the documents (212 (e)) she needs or will it be kind of rude? Actually, I don’t even know if we can send documents to FO.
2. If my case status does not change in 2 weeks, what are my options? e-request, inquiry with FO, infopass, congressional inquiry, or else? What do you suggest I should do?
3. Will there be enough time to process FTJ in this situation? Or I shouldn’t even try?
4. Assuming everything will work out: My husband had an heart attack last week and might even have some additional operations nowadays. Does it mean he can’t get his I-693 signed by a doctor? Silly Q!
5. WCS: Let’s say IO rejected my application for some reason. Any chance of applying somewhere to reopen my case since the decision does not based on accurate info? USCIS, congress or court…
6. IO said my case is all ok other than 2 yr requirement. Can she reject the case for another reason after this point? Also, she didn’t give my IL back. Is it something normal?

I know my Qs are all over the place and includes various scenarios.... simply annoying. But nowadays so many (bad)things happening in my life that I have to take care of, and I cannot even check the forum regularly. If I had done that probably I wouldn't miss INA printout. I can even say GC lost its priority and can't focus on it. I could sleep last night for a couple of hours and just wanted to get prepared for all possible scenarios while I can.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

* GREEN CARD DELIVERED TODAY *

Happy to report my GC arrived in the mail today!

Q for anyone who has also received their card - is it normal to just have an initial (instead of a complete middle name) included on the front of the card? (Just want to make sure I don't have to correct anything!) :)

Feels great to finally be closing this stressful little life chapter - wishing everyone still going through the process the very best too!
congrats fellow aussie!

I have a couple of more Qs just to get prepared if things go south. Also, I couldn’t even think of the possibility of someone thinking the 2 yr rule being consecutive. In my work, we always go to meetings, conferences, workshops in all over the world. This means, with that perspective, 2 yr requirement will start from the beginning every time I go somewhere. I brought documents about public charge rule, no need I-864, F1 student working on campus etc, but didn’t think of INA 212 (e). Anyway, it is too late for this. I would appreciate it if you could give insights on the following Qs:
1. Does it make sense or possible to mail to IO’s USCIS address the documents (212 (e)) she needs or will it be kind of rude? Actually, I don’t even know if we can send documents to FO.
2. If my case status does not change in 2 weeks, what are my options? e-request, inquiry with FO, infopass, congressional inquiry, or else? What do you suggest I should do?
3. Will there be enough time to process FTJ in this situation? Or I shouldn’t even try?
4. Assuming everything will work out: My husband had an heart attack last week and might even have some additional operations nowadays. Does it mean he can’t get his I-693 signed by a doctor? Silly Q!
5. WCS: Let’s say IO rejected my application for some reason. Any chance of applying somewhere to reopen my case since the decision does not based on accurate info? USCIS, congress or court…
6. IO said my case is all ok other than 2 yr requirement. Can she reject the case for another reason after this point? Also, she didn’t give my IL back. Is it something normal?

I know my Qs are all over the place and includes various scenarios.... simply annoying. But nowadays so many (bad)things happening in my life that I have to take care of, and I cannot even check the forum regularly. If I had done that probably I wouldn't miss INA printout. I can even say GC lost its priority and can't focus on it. I could sleep last night for a couple of hours and just wanted to get prepared for all possible scenarios while I can.

Thank you very much for your understanding.
1. You do not currently have a RFE, it wouldn't make any sense IMO to be mailing anything to the FO at this point - no guarantee anything you send will make it's way to the IO - a RFE comes with instructions on what to include with the response in order to ensure the documents get to the right person.
2. You can try any of the follow-up options you've listed. It is really your case, so go with your instinct at this point.
3. We've had FTJ cases which got completed within the last few days of the FY (both the FO and embassy interviews happened within the last week of the FY) in the past. However, considering COVID impact, space limitation, prioritization, and all the other stuff happening with CP, no one can predict if you will be able to complete the FTJ portion or not, even if your AOS was approved earlier this week.
4. Sorry to learn of your husband's heart attack, hope he's recovering nicely and doing well? Wishing him full recovery. As for the medical exam, he will not be submitting an I-693, that is not the form used for by CS for CP. His CS will make the determination regarding signing off on the medical report, I can't predict what the CS will or will not do.
5. You may be eligible to file a motion to reconsider if you believe you got issued with denial decision based on an incorrect application of law or policy, and that the decision was incorrect based on the evidence in the record of proceedings at the time of the decision. However, based on sunset factor requiring DV cases to be approved within their applicable FY, a reversal of the denial decision will not lead to a GC if the reversal happens after the FY is already over (MTRs, typically take several months).
6. Yes she can if she finds any other cause to regardless of what she said at the end of the interview. They are not supposed to return the interview letter, you should have scanned or made a copy if you needed one for your record.

My interview experience:
This forum helped me a lot and I think sharing my experience may help other ppl. Thanks to everyone, especially Simon.

My case has been approved today. Right after my interview, and my status changed to "new card is being produced". I had no bio appointment and they recorded everything right before the interview, do not worry if you have no bio appointment.

My interview was at 7;15 AM. They opened the door right at 7 AM and everyone went to a security check, just like airports. Then my officer called me and started talking. There was a little document shortage, I am currently on an F1 visa and the officer hadn't my I20, I am sure that I put it into my package though. It is better to have a copy of everything with you while you go to the interview.

After the oath, he asked about my job, I am a research assistant as a Ph.D. student and the officer did not know what does that mean, I explained and he got cleared. Then he read the I-485 questions one after the other, but not all of the questions, and I answered in the shortest and the most direct way. Then he said I'm gonna approve your case today and you will receive your GC in a week.

Note: My officer thought I am on an OPT, make sure your officer knows the nature of your job if you are a research assistant during your Ph.D. study. I needed to explain that it is an on-campus job and you cannot work outside of the University, and also you obtain credit by working in the lab just like the way you obtain credit in coursework.

The interview is really easy, do not worry! they are nice and understanding.

Wish you all the best.
OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

1. USCIS may decide there is no need for a new bio since you recently completed one.
2. You can try to expedite at any time you feel like. You can also simply be exercise some patience and allow the process to work considering your first package is still very well going through the system.
Thanks for your response dear mom :)
update again
I got an online connection with USCIS today for my second package. fortunately, Emma said: Your biometrics have already been received for this application.
I think the second package will be successful. :D
and I connected again for my first package. and Emma said you do not have any new letter ( Tier2 had said this week we should receive a letter with an instruction how to pay from NBC), our first package is on hold now.
if the second package will be continuing with no problem, maybe withdrawing the first one would be a better decision...

Thanks for your response dear mom :)
update again
I got an online connection with USCIS today for my second package. fortunately, Emma said: Your biometrics have already been received for this application.
I think the second package will be successful. :D
and I connected again for my first package. and Emma said you do not have any new letter ( Tier2 had said this week we should receive a letter with an instruction how to pay from NBC), our first package is on hold now.
if the second package will be continuing with no problem, maybe withdrawing the first one would be a better decision...
You had better be careful to ensure you do not jeopardize your case entirely!

1. You do not currently have a RFE, it wouldn't make any sense IMO to be mailing anything to the FO at this point - no guarantee anything you send will make it's way to the IO - a RFE comes with instructions on what to include with the response in order to ensure the documents get to the right person.
2. You can try any of the follow-up options you've listed. It is really your case, so go with your instinct at this point.
3. We've had FTJ cases which got completed within the last few days of the FY (both the FO and embassy interviews happened within the last week of the FY) in the past. However, considering COVID impact, space limitation, prioritization, and all the other stuff happening with CP, no one can predict if you will be able to complete the FTJ portion or not, even if your AOS was approved earlier this week.
4. Sorry to learn of your husband's heart attack, hope he's recovering nicely and doing well? Wishing him full recovery. As for the medical exam, he will not be submitting an I-693, that is not the form used for by CS for CP. His CS will make the determination regarding signing off on the medical report, I can't predict what the CS will or will not do.
5. You may be eligible to file a motion to reconsider if you believe you got issued with denial decision based on an incorrect application of law or policy, and that the decision was incorrect based on the evidence in the record of proceedings at the time of the decision. However, based on sunset factor requiring DV cases to be approved within their applicable FY, a reversal of the denial decision will not lead to a GC if the reversal happens after the FY is already over (MTRs, typically take several months).
6. Yes she can if she finds any other cause to regardless of what she said at the end of the interview. They are not supposed to return the interview letter, you should have scanned or made a copy if you needed one for your record.
Thank you for your quick response and nice wishes.

I am planning to wait till the end of next week. I believe when IO reads 212 e, she will see the term 'aggregate' and approve my and my daughter's AOS. If my case status doesn't change till Sept 3, I will try the follow options. I will worry about FTJ later. One worry at a time!

Update for everyone! And special thanks to everyone who helped! Especially Susie and notably, of course, mom!

I had my interview today and was approved on the spot. My online status has been updated to "We ordered your new card".

Rundown of the interview:
After I got through security etc, by the time I got up I was just about 15 mins before my appointment time. 5 minutes to check in, another 5 waiting to be called, and went in 5 mins earlier than my appointment. The interview was quick, maybe 5-10 mins total.
1) Said she had all the documents she needed and just wanted my passport, US ID, and IL
2) She ran through my I-485, asking name, address, parents names, last time I came into the US
3) Some Y/N questions (I told her I had gotten parking tickets and one speeding ticket previously (didn't go to court for it though) and hadn't included it in the original document and she said it didn't matter. She noted it but said it wasn't relevant.)
4) Asked me about my education (where I got it, what it was)
5) If I had worked on my current F1-OPT status (which I had, in work that was related to my field of study), and what kind of work I did

That was it! She was extremely nice and it was very straight forward. She told me it all looked good and asked me to wait outside for 10 minutes for next steps. Came out and handed me a letter to hang onto to confirm I was approved until my card comes!

Thank you again mom for making what would be a lengthy, complicated, and anxiety-riddled journey so much smoother. Having your support and the support of this forum made it possible to navigate this with confidence!
Did she ask any proof to show that you are working on you opt? Did you take any documents ? Or send any documents with the package?

@Sm1smom , I have a question, please.

When I submitted my package, I filed i485, i765, i131.
You know when the IO approves the case, he approves i485 only.

So when my application I-485 gets approved, do I need to go to SSN to issue social security number, or will be mailed to me automatically?

Best,,,

My case finally has been approved. It took 1 week after the interview.

I cannot thank enough to you Mom. I made you angry sometimes with my comments, actions or impatience but without you, I may not finish this process properly.

At first, AoS was very complicated last year when I decided to go AoS route, but then I found this forum. I did not need a lawyer and I am glad that I did not hire one.

I will write a post for DV2022 about my experience, mistakes, dos, don't. After I get some energy :) This process has been very tiresome.

Despite everything, I feel very luck. Thank you mom and others who always encouraged to see the positive aspects such as being able to receive green card while 40k people cannot due to consulate closures.

I hope the remaining 2021 AoSers receive their card before the new FY. I really do. I already see a decline of posts in this page, which could be a good sign that is most of people have received their cards already. I hope those who are waiting for a IL, Bio or decision receive them soon.

I cannot thank enough to you Mom. I made you angry sometimes with my comments, actions or impatience but without you, I may not finish this process properly.

At first, AoS was very complicated last year when I decided to go AoS route, but then I found this forum. I did not need a lawyer and I am glad that I did not hire one.

I will write a post for DV2022 about my experience, mistakes, dos, don't. After I get some energy :) This process has been very tiresome.

Despite everything, I feel very luck. Thank you mom and others who always encouraged to see the positive aspects such as being able to receive green card while 40k people cannot due to consulate closures.

I hope the remaining 2021 AoSers receive their card before the new FY. I really do. I already see a decline of posts in this page, which could be a good sign that is most of people have received their cards already. I hope those who are waiting for a IL, Bio or decision receive them soon.
Now you can go and meet your new brother-in-law! Have a nice life!

FREE AT LAST! FREE AT LAST!! Lol. Congratulations :)

Good morning,

I contacted the Embassy and even though the FTJ case only has 1 month since my interview (August 31st) they told me they could not do anything before DHS sends the I-824 to the embassy after USCIS approves my case. Should I e-mail the USCIS officer that is going to interview me and inform her that I will be doing a FTJ and ask her if I can bring the I-824 and give it to her at the interview?

Thank you very much!

@Sm1smom , I have a question, please.

When I submitted my package, I filed i485, i765, i131.
You know when the IO approves the case, he approves i485 only.

So when my application I-485 gets approved, do I need to go to SSN to issue social security number, or will be mailed to me automatically?

Best,,,
I have the same issue. After I-485 approval I guess they will cancel or deny the I-765 where we have answered yes to the receiving SS card question. Because of pandemic social security offices are not taking in person appointment and are required to mail in or use the drop box providing them with the original documents.

Hello guys,

Yesterday I and my wife had our interview at the Queens Field Office. We arrived 15 minutes before the appointment. After the security check-in we headed to the Queens Field Office. The guard at the entrance asked us to turn off our cellphones and then we have been accommodated in the waiting room. After 10 minutes the officer called our names and we had our interview. After the oath the officer asked us for the original version of birth certificates, high-school degree, university degrees, and marriage certificate. Then she went through the questions in the i-485 form.

After the interview she told us that everything was looking good, and that probably she was able to process our cases on the same day, or by the end of the week at the latest.

Few hours later we saw the update "New Card Is Being Produced" in the USCIS tracker (which previously was stuck on "Fingerprints Fee Received"). It has been a very long and stressful journey, but now we can finally start a new chapter of our life.

Thank you to the community for the incredible support provided during the entire process, with a special thanks to Mom and Susie for their relentless assistance and patience.

I wish you all the best!

Hello guys,

Yesterday I and my wife had our interview at the Queens Field Office. We arrived 15 minutes before the appointment. After the security check-in we headed to the Queens Field Office. The guard at the entrance asked us to turn off our cellphones and then we have been accommodated in the waiting room. After 10 minutes the officer called our names and we had our interview. After the oath the officer asked us for the original version of birth certificates, high-school degree, university degrees, and marriage certificate. Then she went through the questions in the i-485 form.

After the interview she told us that everything was looking good, and that probably she was able to process our cases on the same day, or by the end of the week at the latest.

Few hours later we saw the update "New Card Is Being Produced" in the USCIS tracker (which previously was stuck on "Fingerprints Fee Received"). It has been a very long and stressful journey, but now we can finally start a new chapter of our life.

Thank you to the community for the incredible support provided during the entire process, with a special thanks to Mom and Susie for their relentless assistance and patience.

I wish you all the best!
Congratulations!!