• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hello everyone,
I have a quick question regarding the AOS fees payment. I know that @Sm1smom said that it's acceptable to pay all fees in one check but it's highly recommended to pay separately. I just want to make sure I know how the payment is being separated; it should be $1140 for i-485 and $85 for biometrics? Please let me know if the numbers are correct and also to which the payment should be directed? I had a lot of problems with my DV payment and I don't want to go through the same mistakes. Can you guys tell me the name of the receiver, the address, and everything else needed? Thank you guys again and take care everybody

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-fees
These are the USCIS instructions to write your check. As mom said you can write one check for I-485 fee and bio fee (just write what they are in the memo space of your check). I followed these instructions and didn’t have issues.

Hi Sm1smom,
The expiration date of the I-485 is 10/31/2020. Is it the correct form? It is the one on the USCIS website.

Thank you.

The edition date, not the expiration date, is what the USCIS uses in determining if the used form is current or not. Here’s what USCIS’s website says under Form Details section:

Edition Date
10/15/19. We will publish a new edition of this form soon. In the meantime, you may continue using the 10/15/19 edition despite the expiration date. You can find the edition date at the bottom of the page on the form and instructions. The edition date for the Special Instructions for Liberian Refugee Immigration Fairness Applicants is 12/27/20.
Dates are listed in mm/dd/yy format.

So if the edition date on the form you’ve referenced above is listed as 10/15/19, you have the most current form available as of today.

The edition date, not the expiration date, is what the USCIS uses in determining if the used form is current or not. Here’s what USCIS’s website says...

Thank you Sm1sMom

You’ve completely misunderstood the separate payment recommendation which is aimed at family member applicants, and not a single applicant as in your case. I have never recommended issuing separate payments for the I-485 payment and the bio fee.

The recommendation is for each application in a family package to have a separate payment to ensure if there’s an issue with one application, the entire family package doesn’t get rejected and sent back as against issuing one single payment which is what will happen in such a situation. You only need one payment in your case

You really need to make sure you’re not over-analyzing the process or reading things out of context.

Here’s the Filing Fee (under the Where to File Section) instructions per USCIS. That link has other useful links which you should go through also.

Mom I'm so sorry I definitely misunderstood then, I read your post from past threads and I assumed you were talking about an individual payment, my bad and thank you for rectifying things for me. @fauchc Thank you for the advice, I will do exactly that :)

Hello guys, I'm sending my AOS soon, and just wanted to double-check some things:

1) Apparently every postal service has a specific address (which is weird):
For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
USCIS
PO Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120
For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
USCIS
Attn: FBAS
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

So USPS and UPS have different addresses for Chicago lockbox? Am I getting this right?

2) I don't think I'm going to get my 2nl, so can I use my ds-260 confirmation (immigration visa and alien registration application confirmation) just to show that I have completed the DS-260 at least? because it has some relevant information like case number and confirmation number.

3) In all the AOS forms, my signature is not within the border of the box, my signatures are pretty big, is that ok or should I sign again? I don't want to end up with someone who's having a bad day and rejects me because of that

4) does my credit score and report need to come from the same bureau? because my credit report is from Transunion and my score is from Equifax

Thank you everyone for the help and god bless you all

Hello guys, I'm sending my AOS soon, and just wanted to double-check some things:

1) Apparently every postal service has a specific address (which is weird):
For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
USCIS
PO Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120
For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
USCIS
Attn: FBAS
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

So USPS and UPS have different addresses for Chicago lockbox? Am I getting this right?

2) I don't think I'm going to get my 2nl, so can I use my ds-260 confirmation (immigration visa and alien registration application confirmation) just to show that I have completed the DS-260 at least? because it has some relevant information like case number and confirmation number.

3) In all the AOS forms, my signature is not within the border of the box, my signatures are pretty big, is that ok or should I sign again? I don't want to end up with someone who's having a bad day and rejects me because of that

4) does my credit score and report need to come from the same bureau? because my credit report is from Transunion and my score is from Equifax

Thank you everyone for the help and god bless you all
1. Yes they are different (because only USPS have access to PO boxes)
2.DS260 is not a required form for AOS, So, if you don't have a 2nl you can just take it with you to the interview.
3.It's fine
4.this is also fine, as long as your personal information are same in both documents.

Hello mom,

Do you know how long does it usually take to get our tax return transcripts by mail?

I've been trying to access them online for the last two weeks but every time I put the last 8 digits of my credit card number and proceed to the next section, the IRS website says technical error -8302. So, I think now by mail is my only option here.

Thank you!

Hi Sm1smom,
I am a DV 2021 selectee CN 2021AS27xxx. I am a F1 graduate student and my husband is my F2 dependent. I have few questions to ask from you. Thank you so much for the opportunity.

1) Is it necessary to apply for DS 260 for AOS applicants or what is the other possible document to start with? I didn’t submit my DS 260. Please give us a suggestion to be succeed?

2) We both came to USA in 2018 August. My husband was in Australia from November 2016 to 2018 June. So, does he need to get a police report from Australia? And do we both need to have police reports from our mother country as well? (Sri Lanka)

3) We don’t have the original birth and marriage certificates (In our mother language) with us in USA (Right now we do have only English translations). So, we need to ask our parents to send them to USA. Please let us know what are the documents that we need to have in our own language to bring to the interview?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello mom,

Do you know how long does it usually take to get our tax return transcripts by mail?

I've been trying to access them online for the last two weeks but every time I put the last 8 digits of my credit card number and proceed to the next section, the IRS website says technical error -8302. So, I think now by mail is my only option here.

Thank you!

It might take quite a couple of weeks, so the sooner you jump on the request the better.

Hi Sm1smom,
I am a DV 2021 selectee CN 2021AS27xxx. I am a F1 graduate student and my husband is my F2 dependent. I have few questions to ask from you. Thank you so much for the opportunity.

1) Is it necessary to apply for DS 260 for AOS applicants or what is the other possible document to start with? I didn’t submit my DS 260. Please give us a suggestion to be succeed?

2) We both came to USA in 2018 August. My husband was in Australia from November 2016 to 2018 June. So, does he need to get a police report from Australia? And do we both need to have police reports from our mother country as well? (Sri Lanka)

3) We don’t have the original birth and marriage certificates (In our mother language) with us in USA (Right now we do have only English translations). So, we need to ask our parents to send them to USA. Please let us know what are the documents that we need to have in our own language to bring to the interview?

Thank you!

1. DS260 submission is recommended, but not required. You should be fine if you decide to not submit the form. If you decide to submit, you might want to hold off from doing so for now because your CN AS27xxx is on the high side, you don’t want to demonstrate an immigrant intent only for your CN to end up not becoming current (DS260 submission is a demonstration of your immigrant intent).

2. PCC is not required for AOS.

3. Yes, you’ll need the original b/c.

I recommend you start by going through the AOS Process Spreadsheet for now to get a better understanding of the process and to better prepare yourself for what needs to be done.

Hi Mom, I have a question about I94 form.

My wife and I travel to US together. My recent date of entry on I94 is Jan 7 2020, but it seems they didn't update my wife's I94. It still says 8 August 2019 as the recent entry date. That was the first time when she enter the US. We came back to my country on Dec 2019 and return to US on January 2020.

We both have 7 January 2020 stamp on our passports as the recent entry date.

Hi Mom, I have a question about I94 form.

My wife and I travel to US together. My recent date of entry on I94 is Jan 7 2020, but it seems they didn't update my wife's I94. It still says 8 August 2019 as the recent entry date. That was the first time when she enter the US. We came back to my country on Dec 2019 and return to US on January 2020.

We both have 7 January 2020 stamp on our passports as the recent entry date.

So, what is your question? :)

Should I do anything about it such as calling CBP?

Do you see any problems that could affect our AoS admissibility criteria?
Similar thing happened to me. Give couples of more days to see if the I94 is updated.log into I94 page, go to travel history tab. If you can see the correct date there then you need to contact your closet Deferred inspection site. They can correct your I94 errors.(I was able to fix that over the phone)

I want to send DV fees which are 330$? To where should I send the check and should I write the case number in the check? Can I send my AOS application before I receive the receipt of Diversity visa fees?

I want to send DV fees which are 330$? To where should I send the check and should I write the case number in the check? Can I send my AOS application before I receive the receipt of Diversity visa fees?

1. Yes re the amount.
2. Instructions for how and where to send the payment.
3. You may, if you feel you’re running out of time. As long as you’re aware there’s a very slight risk of the AOS package being treated as incomplete and subsequently rejected by the Chicago Lockbox (chances of that happening is slim but possible, so your choice).

Dear @Sm1smom
Since it's been already one month since I did the biometrics, and still no sign of interview notice, Should I follow up with the USCIS, or I should wait for more?

Dear @Sm1smom
Since it's been already one month since I did the biometrics, and still no sign of interview notice, Should I follow up with the USCIS, or I should wait for more?

I recommend you first take a look at some of the past timeline spreadsheets (preferably the ones before DV2020) to get an idea of how long it typically takes your FO to schedule a DV base AOS interview.

Hello guys,

I wanted to ask you a quick question about form I-485, part 3, 1; where it's asking about if I ever applied for an immigrant visa to obtain permanent resident status at a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate abroad. My lawyer checked "Yes" and I told him that it should be no because this is my first time applying for Green Card. He told me this:
  1. "because a DS-260 application is technically not needed for an AOS application. By submitting a DS260 application online, you are submitting an application for an immigrant visa to a consulate/embassy abroad (whether the application gets processed or not). Since the question is asking about whether you have applied for an immigrant visa to obtain LPR status, the answer is 'Yes."
Is he right on this?

Quote Reply

Hello guys,

I wanted to ask you a quick question about form I-485, part 3, 1; where it's asking about if I ever applied for an immigrant visa to obtain permanent resident status at a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate abroad. My lawyer checked "Yes" and I told him that it should be no because this is my first time applying for Green Card. He told me this:
  1. "because a DS-260 application is technically not needed for an AOS application. By submitting a DS260 application online, you are submitting an application for an immigrant visa to a consulate/embassy abroad (whether the application gets processed or not). Since the question is asking about whether you have applied for an immigrant visa to obtain LPR status, the answer is 'Yes."
Is he right on this?

If your lawyer is convinced the correct answer is “Yes” in this case, ask him/her what they intend to put in questions 2a-4 under that section since the instruction says complete 2a-4 if you answer “Yes” to item 1.