Waiting Asylum decision

So Dear All,
This sounds strange to me except someone has experienced it before.
My Asylum Application is still pending decision since 8 months after interview. I have maintained my F1 status since and have never applied for the Asylum EAD.
So, I decided to renew my OPT but applying for OPT STEM Extension EAD (which is 24 months).
To my surprise, the OPT STEM EAD I received has my Asylum Alien number and the OPT STEM approval notice has it too. This Alien number was different from the one issued to me for my first F1 OPT.

Any clues? Is it some kind of Asylum approval in disguise or no connection ?

Last edited:
So Dear All,
This sounds strange to me except someone has experienced it before.
My Asylum Application is still pending decision since 8 months after interview. I have maintained my F1 status since and have never applied for the Asylum EAD.
So, I decided to renew my OPT but applying for OPT STEM Extension EAD (which is 24 months).
To my surprise, the OPT STEM EAD I received has my Asylum Alien number and the OPT STEM approval notice has it too. This Alien number was different from the one issued to me for my first F1 OPT.

Any clues? Is it some kind of Asylum approval in disguise or no connection ?
When you file I-765 for OPT there is an entry that asks for your Alien number. Did you give them the Alien number from your asylum receipt?

When you file I-765 for OPT there is an entry that asks for your Alien number. Did you give them the Alien number from your asylum receipt?

Not at all, I did not even fill in the Alien number when applying for the OPT EAD.
Although, there's a form I-983 a student normally send to the school DSO for a new I-20 for OPT STEM EAD. There, i filled the actual OPT alien number as usual and even the form wasn't sent to USCIS.
I'm just curious why they would have now put the Asylum Alien number on my new OPT STEM EAD.

Last edited:

If i had a lawyer to ask, I will be glad to ask them this. I just hope it's a good sign in disguise.
Am pretty confident I did not put Asylum Alien number when applying for the OPT STEM EAD

EAD A5 not C5
You were right, it was intended to deny. Even tho it is a death sentence to me, but it hurts more because what I said they did not even listen, they literally wrote shit made in their own minds, they saying I said I am Muslim, which I completely said I am not. they said I lived in Afghanistan my whole life, I wrote 2 pages paper and told them the story of my life as a refugee not living in Afghanistan. meaning I never lived in Afghanistan for more than 8 years of my life. do you have any idea what can a person do when uscis intentionally lying on an official form and deny your application for no reason?

You were right, it was intended to deny. Even tho it is a death sentence to me, but it hurts more because what I said they did not even listen, they literally wrote shit made in their own minds, they saying I said I am Muslim, which I completely said I am not. they said I lived in Afghanistan my whole life, I wrote 2 pages paper and told them the story of my life as a refugee not living in Afghanistan. meaning I never lived in Afghanistan for more than 8 years of my life. do you have any idea what can a person do when uscis intentionally lying on an official form and deny your application for no reason?
I am so sorry for you. However, this is not the time to sit and cry, you still have a little chance for rebuttal. You have received a letter of intention to deny. Check the reasons, reply on that. A small advice, it seems that there is a huge misunderstanding for your story, Kindly use an expert translator to help you to write your rebuttal in a professional way that USCIS can understand it. I said it before and will say it again, a lot of cases have been denied due to cultural and language differences.

I'm going to tell you something my attorney told me while discussing writ of mandamus. "You don't want to force USCIS to make a decision. When you force USCIS to make a decision when your case is still within normal processing times, you're forcing them to make a decision, NOT TO REVIEW your case. 'You want a decision, here's your decision, NO!'" Writ of mandamus is only an option if your case has been pending for YEARS outside of normal processing times, not 6 months.

You had your interview on 10/2019 and you sued them to get a decision when it hadn't even been a year. I understand that waiting is frustrating, but you need to be patient and let them do their thing. I am not trying to sound condescending, but you need to stop playing the victim, USCIS is not singling you out. It's just awful for everyone right now. This is also why it's very important to get an attorney for this process. Get one ASAP and go over everything with them. They'll be the best person to guide on how to move forward. I really hope things work out for you in the end.

I'm going to tell you something my attorney told me while discussing writ of mandamus. "You don't want to force USCIS to make a decision. When you force USCIS to make a decision when your case is still within normal processing times, you're forcing them to make a decision, NOT TO REVIEW your case. 'You want a decision, here's your decision, NO!'" Writ of mandamus is only an option if your case has been pending for YEARS outside of normal processing times, not 6 months.

You had your interview on 10/2019 and you sued them to get a decision when it hadn't even been a year. I understand that waiting is frustrating, but you need to be patient and let them do their thing. I am not trying to sound condescending, but you need to stop playing the victim, USCIS is not singling you out. It's just awful for everyone right now. This is also why it's very important to get an attorney for this process. Get one ASAP and go over everything with them. They'll be the best person to guide on how to move forward. I really hope things work out for you in the end.
my case was pending for 4 years. I got the interview after filling the mandamus.

I am so sorry for you. However, this is not the time to sit and cry, you still have a little chance for rebuttal. You have received a letter of intention to deny. Check the reasons, reply on that. A small advice, it seems that there is a huge misunderstanding for your story, Kindly use an expert translator to help you to write your rebuttal in a professional way that USCIS can understand it. I said it before and will say it again, a lot of cases have been denied due to cultural and language differences.
some of the stuff was written in my application, I am a native English speaker, however, the officer who interviewed me was not. I can understand if it was a mistake but some of the things were clearly intentional. like they said you are a Muslim, knowing that I marked myself as spiritual( someone believing in a greater power, but not in specific religion). I recalled she told me we don't have this option but I will write it down in the form for you, she marked atheists then wrote spiritual beside it with a blue pen.

some of the stuff was written in my application, I am a native English speaker, however, the officer who interviewed me was not. I can understand if it was a mistake but some of the things were clearly intentional. like they said you are a Muslim, knowing that I marked myself as spiritual( someone believing in a greater power, but not in specific religion). I recalled she told me we don't have this option but I will write it down in the form for you, she marked atheists then wrote spiritual beside it with a blue pen.

I am so sorry . did you referral to court?

I think that you covered the ground well. When USCIS is being forced to make a decision, the choice they choose is now the same these days: So, this asylee applicant thinks that they have a right to force us to go faster? What right do they have?

Asylees, as the new rules coming show, USCIS thinks that asylees applicants are have ZERO rights. Therefore, whether your case has been pending for 2 years of 6 years, they expect us to relax and wait for them to make a decision. All along, I have always said that instead of spending resources, hours fighting USCIS, the best option is to focus your energy on submitting more evidence that supports your case.

When I applied for asylum, I think there is one thing I should have been told: navigating the process takes years, could take several years so you need to be patient. This is super true these days, when even getting an interview is a battle. Had I known this, I would have been better prepared.

I think that you covered the ground well. When USCIS is being forced to make a decision, the choice they choose is now the same these days: So, this asylee applicant thinks that they have a right to force us to go faster? What right do they have?

Asylees, as the new rules coming show, USCIS thinks that asylees applicants are have ZERO rights. Therefore, whether your case has been pending for 2 years of 6 years, they expect us to relax and wait for them to make a decision. All along, I have always said that instead of spending resources, hours fighting USCIS, the best option is to focus your energy on submitting more evidence that supports your case.

When I applied for asylum, I think there is one thing I should have been told: navigating the process takes years, could take several years so you need to be patient. This is super true these days, when even getting an interview is a battle. Had I known this, I would have been better prepared.
Thanks ! Guys be positive!!

Hi guys, I have a question. When you apply for EAD pending your asylum decision, and use it for work, do you automatically lose your F1 status (if you have an F1 status)?

Hi guys, I have a question. When you apply for EAD pending your asylum decision, and use it for work, do you automatically lose your F1 status (if you have an F1 status)?
no, but you can't apply for OPT in the future. so once you are done with school and your asylum is denied you will be kicked out. remember if you are in F-1 status they are a higher chance your application will be denied or might take longer than usual. I am currently in the same situation.

No, by law you don't have a right, but not ever asylum is in the same situation, if you have family members who are getting persecuted because of the wait time. you don't have any choice but to file for a mandamus.