• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 Oceania Selectees

At this time, USCIS offices are only shut until April 1, as per their website - https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/uscis-response-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19

Uscis offices don’t deal with visa issuance (and in any case that is “at least” 1 April), DoS does. There is no gudieline for visa services restarting other than “Our overseas missions will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time.” https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/suspension-of-routine-visa-services.html
A number of embassies and consulates have sent staff and their families back to the US while all this is going on, so it makes logical sense that USCIS services can return to normal sooner than the consulates, where staff will still need to relocate back.

Uscis offices don’t deal with visa issuance (and in any case that is “at least” 1 April), DoS does. There is no gudieline for visa services restarting other than “Our overseas missions will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time.” https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/suspension-of-routine-visa-services.html
A number of embassies and consulates have sent staff and their families back to the US while all this is going on, so it makes logical sense that USCIS services can return to normal sooner than the consulates, where staff will still need to relocate back.

At least you posted a Govt link instead of quoting media and rumours, which I wish other people would learn how to do.

It just seems more logical to wait until the visa has expired AND there is an ability to travel. Let's say someone still has 4 weeks validity. Who knows what could happen in the next 4 weeks. It might become possible (though perhaps inconvenient) to travel in that time. On the other hand, reissuing now may still not make sense if travel is impossible until September for example.

In any case they cannot reissue after 30th September (that is clear), but a visa reissued in September could be used for entry up to early 2021. Just makes sense to wait and reissue once.

Dear Britsimon...when u say "In any case they cannot reissue after 30th September". It means sydney consulate will not reissue immigtant visa after 30 september and an applicant has to start the process again from the starting?

Did u say it for all immigrant visas or only for diversity visas. I got my Cr1 visa from sydney consulate...did this 30 september thing apply to my visa as well? Pls reply...thanks.

Dear Britsimon...when u say "In any case they cannot reissue after 30th September". It means sydney consulate will not reissue immigtant visa after 30 september and an applicant has to start the process again from the starting?

Did u say it for all immigrant visas or only for diversity visas. I got my Cr1 visa from sydney consulate...did this 30 september thing apply to my visa as well? Pls reply...thanks.

The Sept. 30th deadline referenced here is for DV based IVs only, not applicable to other IVs such as marriage based ones like yours.

The Sept. 30th deadline referenced here is for DV based IVs only, not applicable to other IVs such as marriage based ones like yours.

Thanks for replying sir..but the provision by which a consulate can reissue visa says following-: can u check the line i marked in RED that says visa issues in same fiscal year -:

9 FAM 504.10-5(A) (U) Issuing Replacement Visa During Validity of Original Visa
a. (U) If you are satisfied that an applicant will be or was unable to use an immigrant visa (IV) during its validity period because of reasons beyond the applicant’s control and for which the applicant is not responsible then you may issue a replacement visa with the originally allocated visa number within the same fiscal year even though the visa has not yet expired. You should recall and cancel the originally-issued visa and collect once again the appropriate IV application processing fee (including the Diversity Visa Lottery Fee for a DV applicant), unless the applicant was unable to use the visa as a result of action by the U.S. Government over which the alien had no control and for which the alien was not responsible

Thanks for replying sir..but the provision by which a consulate can reissue visa says following-: can u check the line i marked in RED that says visa issues in same fiscal year -:

9 FAM 504.10-5(A) (U) Issuing Replacement Visa During Validity of Original Visa
a. (U) If you are satisfied that an applicant will be or was unable to use an immigrant visa (IV) during its validity period because of reasons beyond the applicant’s control and for which the applicant is not responsible then you may issue a replacement visa with the originally allocated visa number within the same fiscal year even though the visa has not yet expired. You should recall and cancel the originally-issued visa and collect once again the appropriate IV application processing fee (including the Diversity Visa Lottery Fee for a DV applicant), unless the applicant was unable to use the visa as a result of action by the U.S. Government over which the alien had no control and for which the alien was not responsible

This is a DV lottery forum. Simon’s post which you previously quoted, and my subsequent response in (an attempt at clarifying Simon’s previous post) is in relation DV lottery.

This is a DV lottery forum. Simon’s post which you previously quoted, and my subsequent response in (an attempt at clarifying Simon’s previous post) is in relation DV lottery.

Yes I understand its DV forum. But I am asking everbody here in general that if anybody has idea about following situation-:
Let us suppose my Cr1 visa expires in august and I apply for the reissue of visa at US consulate. Can a consulate be able to reissue visa or extend visa even after 30 september 2020. Because when we read provision "FAM 504.10-5(A) (U)", there is a line in there that says something "SAME FISCAL YEAR". Does this have anything to do with my Cr1 visa if in case I need to get my visa reissued or extended after 30 september?

Yes I understand its DV forum. But I am asking everbody here in general that if anybody has idea about following situation-:
Let us suppose my Cr1 visa expires in august and I apply for the reissue of visa at US consulate. Can a consulate be able to reissue visa or extend visa even after 30 september 2020. Because when we read provision "FAM 504.10-5(A) (U)", there is a line in there that says something "SAME FISCAL YEAR". Does this have anything to do with my Cr1 visa if in case I need to get my visa reissued or extended after 30 september?

You’ll need to ask this question as pertains to your specific situation outside of the DV forum. People responding here are focused on DV processes. Trying to get people to answer non DV related questions on a DV thread can be confusing to DVers and it may also lead to your being given inaccurate information.

Hi all, hope everyone is staying sane and safe and well. Obviously none of us can predict the future and the trajectory of COVID-19, but hoping to harness the power of the community and get a pulse check on how likely you think it is that embassies will reopen before the Sept.30 cutoff?

Another consideration is will the DHS issue a blanket re-opening once things well and truly calm down, or will embassies be empowered to re-open on a case by case basis? If NZ continues in this very positive direction of handling the crisis -- dare I say that we may find society resuming "normality" quicker than other countries

I'm OC14XX and had an interview scheduled for early May -- just trying to understand how likely it is that I'll get a shot at an interview

Have any OC'ers applied for a permit to leave Australia strictly for the purpose of activating their visa? I realise we would face 2 weeks quarantine on return.

Hi all, hope everyone is staying sane and safe and well. Obviously none of us can predict the future and the trajectory of COVID-19, but hoping to harness the power of the community and get a pulse check on how likely you think it is that embassies will reopen before the Sept.30 cutoff?

Another consideration is will the DHS issue a blanket re-opening once things well and truly calm down, or will embassies be empowered to re-open on a case by case basis? If NZ continues in this very positive direction of handling the crisis -- dare I say that we may find society resuming "normality" quicker than other countries

I'm OC14XX and had an interview scheduled for early May -- just trying to understand how likely it is that I'll get a shot at an interview
I was scheduled for 1st week of April at Auckland. Now we have to wait. I’m glad NZ is doing well at this stage .

Have any OC'ers applied for a permit to leave Australia strictly for the purpose of activating their visa? I realise we would face 2 weeks quarantine on return.
I'd also be interested to know if anyone was successful in getting a permit to leave Aus. We were planning on making the permanent move around Thanksgiving this year, so hopefully we can get our visas extended/renewed and just head over then without the whole activation trip business.

PS Stay safe inside peoples :)

Hi everyone!
I'm not Oceania selectee, but I'm living in Sydney and my interview was scheduled for 14th April and of course was cancelled. Australia is doing really great with all this virus situation. Hoping we all can get our new dates of interview soon.

Just got a letter from immigration saying they cant process our visa packages until we pay for the USCIS immigration fee and says we have to go to a site and enter numbers we would have been given by the DOC consulate officer.

Does any one know what this is about? And where I can find these numbers? Did everyone else have to pay this?

Just got a letter from immigration saying they cant process our visa packages until we pay for the USCIS immigration fee and says we have to go to a site and enter numbers we would have been given by the DOC consulate officer.

Does any one know what this is about? And where I can find these numbers? Did everyone else have to pay this?

Are you sure the note you got says your visa packages or your GC?? Didn’t you already activate your LPR status last month when you entered the US?

Are you sure the note you got says your visa packages or your GC?? Didn’t you already activate your LPR status last month when you entered the US?
I think they mean they took the visa packets at the border but can’t produce the green card as the fee hasn’t been paid yet.
@Hevgibbs , did you not get instructions from your embassy on paying the uscis immigrant fee? Anyway, it’s here https://www.uscis.gov/tools/how-do-i-guides/how-do-i-pay-uscis-immigrant-fee
you should know what your case number is, and the A number is on your visa.

I think they mean they took the visa packets at the border but can’t produce the green card as the fee hasn’t been paid yet.
@Hevgibbs , did you not get instructions from your embassy on paying the uscis immigrant fee? Anyway, it’s here https://www.uscis.gov/tools/how-do-i-guides/how-do-i-pay-uscis-immigrant-fee
you should know what your case number is, and the A number is on your visa.

Yeah it says the received our packages but can’t process it till we pay. No one told us we had to no. We paid a fee at the Sydney embassy. I’m assuming that was a different one?

So the DOS number is our case number. And the A number is the registration number on our visa stamp but just add an A?

Reckon this will be effected by the new trump stuff coz it hasn’t been finalised yet?

Yeah it says the received our packages but can’t process it till we pay. No one told us we had to no. We paid a fee at the Sydney embassy. I’m assuming that was a different one?

So the DOS number is our case number. And the A number is the registration number on our visa stamp but just add an A?

Reckon this will be effected by the new trump stuff coz it hasn’t been finalised yet?

different fee, yes. You paid the interview fee at the embassy - everyone pays that regardless of outcome. This fee is paid only by those who get visas (and plan to use them, obviously!)

Yes re numbers, somewhere in that link is also an explanation of where to find the relevant numbers.

And again, your process to become an LPR IS finalized, and you already have a green card, just not the plastic one. Now, pay the fee to get that too!

different fee, yes. You paid the interview fee at the embassy - everyone pays that regardless of outcome. This fee is paid only by those who get visas (and plan to use them, obviously!)

Yes re numbers, somewhere in that link is also an explanation of where to find the relevant numbers.

And again, your process to become an LPR IS finalized, and you already have a green card, just not the plastic one. Now, pay the fee to get that too!

Ok ok ok getting it done!!
With the contact info should I put the american address the green card is getting sent to?