• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 Oceania Selectees

I emailed Sydney US Consulate on 27th April, their answer: "Our office does not yet know when appointments will be rescheduled. We will contact you once we know."
I’m waiting for my interview to be rescheduled in Sydney too, keep us posted on your progress. Hoping they will get to us soon :)

All OC for the month of June will become “CURRENT” as per the May2020 Visa Bulletin uploaded by the US Dept of State.
Congratulations to everyone . And now let’s wait quietly and see when does the consular section begins re scheduling all IV interviews/ appointments.
I was scheduled for April 3 and then This whole pandemic thing happend . I email the US Embassy here in Fiji and they’ve replied back stating it won’t be open till further notice and the department will notify us once the consular section resumes processing IV visas .

Hi OC members ... all the best to all those who are waiting for interviews to be scheduled.
just wanted to update that I had received my visa on March 5th before the Pandemic reaches our shores. I had planned to migrate by end of May but all flights got cancelled and I thought I had no chance of making it to the US.
I received an opportunity to come to US via Sydney last week in the Australian repatriation flight. It was a very tiring process by getting approvals from Australia but I managed to get through and now I am in the states.... hoping for my social security number to come so that I can start my new beginning here...
Once again all the best to the rest who are waiting for interviews...

Hi OC members ... all the best to all those who are waiting for interviews to be scheduled.
just wanted to update that I had received my visa on March 5th before the Pandemic reaches our shores. I had planned to migrate by end of May but all flights got cancelled and I thought I had no chance of making it to the US.
I received an opportunity to come to US via Sydney last week in the Australian repatriation flight. It was a very tiring process by getting approvals from Australia but I managed to get through and now I am in the states.... hoping for my social security number to come so that I can start my new beginning here...
Best of luck to you. Where did you move to and what industry are you looking for work in?

Good news for you Samron!

I contacted the Sydney consulate yesterday to check about the possibility of reopening and I received the standard reply (that's available publicly) stating they hope to reopen as soon as possible but there is no set date yet. So, nothing new, just thought I'd mention it as we're hearing reports of other embassies opening their doors in the coming weeks. Stay hopeful.

Hi Samron, can I please ask how long it took for Home Affairs to approve your travel request? Thanks

Hi Samron, can I please ask how long it took for Home Affairs to approve your travel request? Thanks
From my experience, it doesn’t matter how long your application has been in for, they prioritise based on date of departure and so you generally don’t get an answer until you’re within 48 hours of your stated departure.

That said, it doesn’t matter what specific date you put - you can reschedule your flight or put an earlier date if you like, as long as the departure port is the same

What did you write for your "essential travel" justification?
Hi I just had to seek approval on my Transit Visa, Australian Ministry of Health exemption of 14 day quarantine and finally approval from the Australian boarder forces.... There was no section on justification for essential travel... but the US embassy from FIJI were liaising with the Australian authorities as well. That is why it is important to register with your nearest US embassy....
Hope that helps

The following approvals were sought:
Transit visa - within 2 hours with the assistance of US embassy who expedited the process

Approval from Ministry of Health in Australia is the critical one for exemption of the 14 day quarantine period as we had a one night stay in Australian quarantine facility. This approval came after 2 days...

Finally approval from the boarder forces which came within a day. Took almost 15hours after MOH approval.

Hope this helps....

Is anyone having second thoughts about making the move with everything going on there at the moment? We are still in Australia and things are looking very scary from here!

Is anyone having second thoughts about making the move with everything going on there at the moment? We are still in Australia and things are looking very scary from here!

Activated our green cards a month ago today, we’re back in Australia now. I think in the 11 months between now and our passport stamp date that it will settle down.

I think the hardest part is that what we see in Australia is the worst parts distilled through sensationalism - whether it’s journalism or viral social media posts... we don’t see the people in the community being peaceful. I saw on a Facebook group today a video of a bunch of locals who had gone down to help clean up the looted stores, run graffiti off walls etc.

This isn’t the first time this kind of thing has happened and unfortunately I don’t think it will be the last.

I don’t know that I’d want to be trying to move right at this point in time but it doesn’t make me fearful. It makes me sad.

The media is hyping it up, just like the virus. At the moment, the last non-media report I read outlined that there are riots in a total of 10 cities. Riots...not protests. Obviously there's a difference.

At the same time, there were protests in 3 x Aussie cities. A Police shooting in Melbourne, and a siege in Brisbane. ;-)

The biggest issue we are facing with our move in the next 2 months is no one is transporting pets right now. Frustratingly ridiculous, as there are still flights!

The media is hyping it up, just like the virus. At the moment, the last non-media report I read outlined that there are riots in a total of 10 cities. Riots...not protests. Obviously there's a difference.

At the same time, there were protests in 3 x Aussie cities. A Police shooting in Melbourne, and a siege in Brisbane. ;-)

The biggest issue we are facing with our move in the next 2 months is no one is transporting pets right now. Frustratingly ridiculous, as there are still flights!

There wasn't a "Police shooting" in Melbourne. It was a suicide by police involving someone who had serious mental health illness. Get your facts right.

There wasn't a "Police shooting" in Melbourne. It was a suicide by police involving someone who had serious mental health illness. Get your facts right.

Hahaha...so Police shoot someone, but I'm the evil bad man for calling it a "Police shooting". You keep on doing an awesome job at being offended there champ.

You keep doing an awesome job at being uneducated there champ.

Heh heh, you're amusing. Google "Police shooting". The results are about Police shooting people. The Aussie media don't call suicide-by-cop "suicide". Ever...

But hey, my 15 yrs service as a street cop and Federal Agent make me uneducated to the point of using a perfectly acceptable and commonly-used term for when Police shoot someone. Not to mention my numerous published articles on Police Use of Force. ;-)

Your turn!

You can name drop things no one cares about involving your life as much as you want but the fact is you compared someone shooting in self defence to the likes of what’s happening over in the US.
And if you are in fact a fed you would know that disclosing your position on a public forum is so far against policy but hey, what do I know. BYE.

You can name drop things no one cares about involving your life as much as you want but the fact is you compared someone shooting in self defence to the likes of what’s happening over in the US.
And if you are in fact a fed you would know that disclosing your position on a public forum is so far against policy but hey, what do I know. BYE.

You know so little young grasshopper. I didn't "compare", I provided context. The post was about concern over what was happening in the US, and my context was that bad things happen here too. Looking at the big picture is a good thing.

As for pretending you know policies that relate to former employees of the AFP...you're still funny. Ignorant....but funny.

You got your frilly little knickers in a twist over your poorly-informed opinion of semantics, then when you found out how out of your depth you were, you tried to spin the argument in a different direction.

Nice try, fail.

Anyways...unless you plan on moving to an area being impacted by the riots, (not the peaceful protests), then I wouldn't be any more worried than you would be living in Oz.