• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 Oceania Selectees

Has anyone worked out if those of us that have our visas in our passport, but haven't activated yet will still be allowed in?
Yes, answered in the main DV thread. You’re good to go...if you can get there.

Sec. 2. Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry. (a) The suspension and limitation on entry pursuant to section 1 of this proclamation shall apply only to aliens who:

(i) are outside the United States on the effective date of this proclamation;

(ii) do not have an immigrant visa that is valid on the effective date of this proclamation; and.....

Yes, answered in the main DV thread. You’re good to go...if you can get there.

Sec. 2. Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry. (a) The suspension and limitation on entry pursuant to section 1 of this proclamation shall apply only to aliens who:

(i) are outside the United States on the effective date of this proclamation;

(ii) do not have an immigrant visa that is valid on the effective date of this proclamation; and.....
Thanks SusieQQQ! Sorry must have missed that!

Not yet, I am waiting to see what flights are available in May before I apply again! I just don't want to do hotel quarantine when I get back!
Yeah especially as they will quarantine arrivals in hotels at the POE you come in to. I think United is the only airline with standard priced flights at the moment, Syd to SFO.

Not yet, I am waiting to see what flights are available in May before I apply again! I just don't want to do hotel quarantine when I get back!
Any word on the exemption to fly out of Aus with an IV? I received an email from the US Consulate with a letter of support to travel so I'm not sure how much weight that holds with the approval process through Home Affairs.

Any word on the exemption to fly out of Aus with an IV? I received an email from the US Consulate with a letter of support to travel so I'm not sure how much weight that holds with the approval process through Home Affairs.
I sent off a request to travel last week and just received an email from Department of Home Affairs requesting more details.
Unfortunately in the time it took them to reply the cost of flights doubled so we will have to take our chances on getting the visas renewed/reissued.
On the plus side it does look like they are open to the exemption for expiring visas as they did not refuse the request.

I sent off a request to travel last week and just received an email from Department of Home Affairs requesting more details.
Unfortunately in the time it took them to reply the cost of flights doubled so we will have to take our chances on getting the visas renewed/reissued.
On the plus side it does look like they are open to the exemption for expiring visas as they did not refuse the request.
Thanks for the update. The US Consulate advise that with an IV, we are exempt under the 'ordinarily resident of another country'
clause which actually does not require prior approval to travel. Not sure how that would go though just rocking up to the airport with no prior approval from Home Affairs.

Thanks for the update. The US Consulate advise that with an IV, we are exempt under the 'ordinarily resident of another country'
clause which actually does not require prior approval to travel. Not sure how that would go though just rocking up to the airport with no prior approval from Home Affairs.
I was wondering about that as an option. I just assumed that as the Visa was only temporary until activated that they wouldn't consider you a permanent resident of the US yet. If we get an extension we'll most likely be heading off permanently without "activation" ,so will definitely use that option.

Thought I should chime in as a current DV IV holder. My visa expiration was mid-June

I’ve just done a 42-hour round trip SYD>SFO>SYD. FWIW, Home Affairs don’t deny a request to travel, they will simply ask for further information/clarification. I applied around 8 times with different supporting material before eventually being approved the morning before our travel. Was cheaper to drive to Sydney than fly.

The entire process was actually quite easy and the flights are practically empty. The only really annoying thing is the 14-day quarantine upon touchdown (am currently in a hotel room in Sydney which I am not allowed to leave, and am here for another week and a half before I’ll need to drive home).

Technically as a permanent resident of the US you should not need an exemption to travel, however the reality is a lot more complicated. Having received my exemption online prior to arrival, the process was a little easier, but if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you have to have a very good reason to travel, and simply rocking up and trying to explain yourself does not necessarily work (I was relayed a story by Border Force of a dual citizen who was disallowed to fly).

Anyway, am relieved it’s all done now. Will be even more so once I’m out of this hotel...

I’d already had travel booked for an April activation holiday, so I used that credit through the travel agent to re-book the United flights.

If you enter the US now, you’ll probably find it the quickest and easiest immigration/customs process you’ll ever have in your life. I was glad it was done quick, even if the stamp itself is somewhat underwhelming given the effort to get it in my passport (but of course what the stamp means is much more... well, whelming)

So far the hotel quarantine hasn’t been too bad. Could be worse. Short term pain, long term gain you know. It feels a bit like school camp to me, except with a comfy bed and three meals a day (plus Uber eats if you want to but it) delivered to your door. Just don’t hope for fresh air...

Last edited:
Thought I should chime in as a current DV IV holder. My visa expiration was mid-June

I’ve just done a 42-hour round trip SYD>SFO>SYD. FWIW, Home Affairs don’t deny a request to travel, they will simply ask for further information/clarification. I applied around 8 times with different supporting material before eventually being approved the morning before our travel. Was cheaper to drive to Sydney than fly.

The entire process was actually quite easy and the flights are practically empty. The only really annoying thing is the 14-day quarantine upon touchdown (am currently in a hotel room in Sydney which I am not allowed to leave, and am here for another week and a half before I’ll need to drive home).

Technically as a permanent resident of the US you should not need an exemption to travel, however the reality is a lot more complicated. Having received my exemption online prior to arrival, the process was a little easier, but if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you have to have a very good reason to travel, and simply rocking up and trying to explain yourself does not necessarily work (I was relayed a story by Border Force of a dual citizen who was disallowed to fly).

Anyway, am relieved it’s all done now. Will be even more so once I’m out of this hotel...

I’d already had travel booked for an April activation holiday, so I used that credit through the travel agent to re-book the United flights.

If you enter the US now, you’ll probably find it the quickest and easiest immigration/customs process you’ll ever have in your life. I was glad it was done quick, even if the stamp itself is somewhat underwhelming given the effort to get it in my passport (but of course what the stamp means is much more... well, whelming)

So far the hotel quarantine hasn’t been too bad. Could be worse. Short term pain, long term gain you know. It feels a bit like school camp to me, except with a comfy bed and three meals a day (plus Uber eats if you want to but it) delivered to your door. Just don’t hope for fresh air...
That's great information, very much appreciated. Can I just ask what eveidence you showed to Home Affairs for them to approve the travel? Would be great knowing this prior to applying.

Can I just ask what eveidence you showed to Home Affairs for them to approve the travel?

I contacted the consulate who provided me with a letter detailing my rights to travel as a United States PR. I also provided photo copies of my Visa in my passport and the cover page of the immigration packet. In the written section I reworded it a number of times. You have to essentially persuade Home Affairs that the travel is essential so how you prefer to do that is up to you - every person’s situation will be slightly different.

As said, they won’t technically deny your application, they will simply ask for further evidence/clarification until such time as they deem it worthy of approval - which I guess theoretically could be never.

I emailed Sydney US Consulate on 27th April, their answer: "Our office does not yet know when appointments will be rescheduled. We will contact you once we know."

Is there anyone from FIJI with valid visa and awaiting flight... please contact FIJI airways ASAP.... we are trying to get numbers to arrange for a repatriation flight.... so far there are 9 of us,.

I contacted the consulate who provided me with a letter detailing my rights to travel as a United States PR. I also provided photo copies of my Visa in my passport and the cover page of the immigration packet. In the written section I reworded it a number of times. You have to essentially persuade Home Affairs that the travel is essential so how you prefer to do that is up to you - every person’s situation will be slightly different.

As said, they won’t technically deny your application, they will simply ask for further evidence/clarification until such time as they deem it worthy of approval - which I guess theoretically could be never.
Did you tell them you were flying back the next day?