• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2020 Sri Lankan Winners

Hi All,

Back in 2009 when I completed A/Ls, only O/L 6 subjects pass would be enough to apply for DV but now When I read updated educational qualifications, I got to know that I must have passed all 3 subjects of A/Ls. I think embassy in sri lanka changed it in 2012. in my case it was only Physics C & Chemistry S with Biology failed. although I have good results on O/Ls with all 10 subjects passed including 6As to Mathematics and Science I kinda feel disappointing now if I won't get the visa. Should l still go ahead with the DV if I rely on Educational Qualifications since I completed my exams before new requirements implemented?

Thanks!!!
Hi I'm still looking for a reply @SusieQQQ @Britsimon @Sm1smom @Atlan

It is still a case by case (or CO to CO) decision. The guidance as you know Susie was changed to the "at least" statement around 2 years ago. That meant there was some theoretical flexibility around the "formal course of education" aspect to the rules. It left it more open to interpretation and gave the CO more latitude to decide that the education was at least equivalent to US High School (better described as US College/University entry standard) . However, some embassies still lay down guidelines and adhere to them.

However, a Bsc would "generally" meet the standard, especially if accompanies by some "professional" work experience. And of course, people at some point may meet the work experience standard anyway, depending on the role, and length of experience.

I should note, by the way. Sri Lanka, is one of the embassies that has in the past been proactive about communicating educational standards needed and tends to stick to that guidance. Their procedures are geared around the A/L collection card.

Their email is ConsularColombo@state.gov so you can email to check with them.

I personally think you should always take as much as you can, better to have it and not need it than the other way round, but the most important thing for you will be to take proper evidence of work experience. Have you read britsimon’s page on the suggested evidence?
Thank you very much...

Hi All,
Visa Bulletin for May released. (Asia 18450 cutoff)

Today my case number became current. hope to receive 2NL now :). and I have a question regarding sending A/L collection card to the embassy because I don't have A/Ls(failed) instead of that I have done a bachelor's degree. so do i still need to submit my A/L collection card with photographs to the embassy?

Thanks.
Better if you confirm on A/L results with the embassy before paying. Otherwise you will loose money paid.

Suru DV
But they asked to bring AL certificate which was issued from school. And it was given only for first attempt.
Then if I get my yellow card for second attempt will there be problem?
Thanks v much for ur prompt reply.

AL certificate which was issued from school: Actually it was issued by Examination dept, signed by School Principal. Most probably it should already received by your school. In my case also same, I've collected it recently.

In case if that not available, you can apply from Examination Dept (For Local use option). But it's the same format (Not the Dot matrix Fonts printed)which the embassy directly receive from them.

Suru DV
Yes . That's true. My problem is weather they only need first attempt results. OR They check our second or third attempts too.

Pls write who had the interview through their experiance so that it will be very helpful for rest of the DV winners in S L.
Thanks.

Attention for All,
Department of Examinations has been holding the certificates issuance operations and one day service. therefore, people who already current may request the AL collection card through DOENETS Certificates. but I don't know the procedure yet.

I hope everyone will not get negatively affected by the global situation.

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Have a great week ahead and make sure to stay at home to protect you and your community from Covid-19.

We have successfully completed the DV 2020 interview. Before I begin , I would like to thank Mr @Britsimon . Thank you so much for your guidance/advises which you have given all the time , as per my understanding without you this DV process won't be easy for anyone.

Next I would like to thank other DV2020 winners who actively sharing information within the forum ,specially @Atlan , @RSen , @chris1984

Below is my story

1st NL received on May 2019
We ( me and my spouse ) , requested for police clearance reports from Sri Lanka Police (https://eservices.police.lk/ClearanceCertificate/home.action) and also from the other countries where we resides more than 6 months.

Below documents were submitted to KCC (PDF format)
  • PP copies (Colour)
  • Police clearance reports from all countries ( for both of us )
  • Birth Certificates ( for both of us ) - Original and English translation
  • Marriage Certificate - Original and English translation
2NL Received January 2020

Read and follow instruction from below link.
https://lk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/149/dv-applicants-instructions-2019.pdf

Once you have the 2NL, you may proceed for A/L collection token and medical reports.

STEP 1 : Request for the A/L certificate collection token (Yellow Token) from Department of Examinations at Battaramulla.

Note : this Token required only for the DV winner.
Address : Department of Examinations Sri Lanka , Pelawatta, Battaramulla, Sri Lanka.

Take below documents and fees with you
  • Completed A/L certificate request form ( you can have this form once you visit the Department of Examinations)
  • PP copy ( DV winner )
  • ID copy ( DV winner )
  • Birth certificate copy
  • Fee 600 LKR
Make sure to take ORIGINALS with you. this process take 3 hours at the Department of Examinations. Once everything is done Department of Examinations will provide you a YELLO CARD.

STEP 2: Include below documents in to a A4 size envelope ( do not fold or bed the documents ) and address to Embassy of The United States Visa Center, 210 Colombo - Galle Main Rd, Colombo 00300
  • Write your Name and DV number on the envelope (both sides)
  • Yellow A/L collection card provided by Department of Examinations
  • PP copy of DV winner
  • TWO 2" X 2" colour photos of DV winner
  • PP copy of other applicants
  • TWO 2" X 2" colour photos of other applicants
Write down your case number in the envelope. Drop this envelop to the security counter at US embassy Colombo.

STEP 3: Obtaining the medical report
  • 6 X SriLanka PP size phots ( for each applicant )
  • 2NL letter ( all pages )
  • PP photo copies
  • Approximately LKR 22000 per person
  • Call and book your appointment at Asiri Surgical ( Visa medical center located at the basement
  • Process will take 3-4 hours per person
Once the medical examination is complete , the front desk will request you to visit them on a date. Please collect the documents on the day they mentioned to you . DO NOT OPEN THE ENVELOP which they have given you.

STEP 4 : The Judgement day :)
  • Rule number 1 : Prepare your documents in order and accurately
  • Rule number 2 : Follow rule number 1
  • Dress well ( formal attire without the jacket ) specially for the adults
  • If your interview is at 1 PM go there and wait at the line at least 30 min before
  • Do not carry bags ( bring ONLY transparent file covers for your documents ) , security counter wont allow you to carry bags with you and they ask you to leave outside and leave them somewhere which will make the day messy
  • At he first security point they will request you to open your sealed medical envelops
Documents order ( Originals )
  1. 2NL letter
  2. PP of DV winner
  3. PP of other applicants
  4. Medical reports for all applicants
  5. FOUR 2" X 2" colour photos of DV winner
  6. FOUR 2" X 2" colour photos of other applicants
  7. Birth Certificate of DV winner ( Sinhala and Translation )
  8. Birth Certificates of other applicants ( Sinhala and Translation )
  9. Marriage Certificate ( Sinhala and Translation )
  10. Police Clearance reports for all from all countries
  11. A/L certificate ( issued from the college )
  12. A/L certificate ( issued by the government )
  13. I-134 form from the sponsor
  14. W2 report from the sponsor ( TAX report )
  15. Photo Identification copy of the sponsor
  16. Fees per person LKR 61050 or USD 330 ( We payed in LKR )
NOTE : PLEASE HAVE PHOTOCOPIES of all of the above original documents ( 2 copies from each originals above ).Once you are inside the application center , you will given a number ( this number is your calling number from the counters )

First you will ask to pay the visa fee Fees per person LKR 61050 or USD 330

Second counter will check your all the originals against the documents you have submitted to KCC as PDF , make sure you have the exact same documents are with you. once the they verify the documents you will ask to sit and wait.

Finally the , Case Officer (CO) call your calling number, and will ask few questions. For us the questions were like , how old are you two ? / How long you both have been working overseas ? / Do you have any family or friends in USA ?

With a fistbumb, CO said your Visa is granted good job ! and our PP collection date is on 19th March 2020 ( I think this will be delay due to Covid-19 holidays )

Few advises for the DV winners ,
  1. Make sure your documents are legit
  2. Have your all originals ready for the interview
  3. Make sure to have photocopies ( as mentioned above )
  4. Do the medical attest 3 weeks prior to the interview
  5. Collect and submit the A/L collection card to US Embassy as soon as you receive the 2NL
  6. Prepare other supportive documents just in case ( for example your employment confirmation / salary letter / work experience / TAX etc) Keep them separately as stand-by
  7. If you do not understand english , please request for an interpreter ( we have seen 2 cases were struggling due to lack of english knowledge )
Thank you very much everyone who supported us during this process and wishing you all the best for all DV 2020 winners.

Hi Everyone,

Have a great week ahead and make sure to stay at home to protect you and your community from Covid-19.

We have successfully completed the DV 2020 interview. Before I begin , I would like to thank Mr @Britsimon . Thank you so much for your guidance/advises which you have given all the time , as per my understanding without you this DV process won't be easy for anyone.

Next I would like to thank other DV2020 winners who actively sharing information within the forum ,specially @Atlan , @RSen , @chris1984

Below is my story

We ( me and my spouse ) , requested for police clearance reports from Sri Lanka Police (https://eservices.police.lk/ClearanceCertificate/home.action) and also from the other countries where we resides more than 6 months.

• PP copies (Colour)

https://lk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/149/dv-applicants-instructions-2019.pdf

Once you have the 2NL, you may proceed for A/L collection token and medical reports.

STEP 1 : Request for the A/L certificate collection token (Yellow Token) from Department of Examinations at Battaramulla.

Address : Department of Examinations Sri Lanka , Pelawatta, Battaramulla, Sri Lanka.

• Completed A/L certificate request form ( you can have this form once you visit the Department of Examinations)
  • PP copy ( DV winner )
  • ID copy ( DV winner )
  • Birth certificate copy
  • Fee 600 LKR
Make sure to take ORIGINALS with you. this process take 3 hours at the Department of Examinations. Once everything is done Department of Examinations will provide you a YELLO CARD.

STEP 2: Include below documents in to a A4 size envelope ( do not fold or bed the documents ) and address to Embassy of The United States Visa Center, 210 Colombo - Galle Main Rd, Colombo 00300
  • PP copy of DV winner
Write down your case number in the envelope. Drop this envelop to the security counter at US embassy Colombo.

• PP photo copies
  • Call and book your appointment at Asiri Surgical ( Visa medical center located at the basement
Once the medical examination is complete , the front desk will request you to visit them on a date. Please collect the documents on the day they mentioned to you . DO NOT OPEN THE ENVELOP which they have given you.

• If your interview is at 1 PM go there and wait at the line at least 30 min before
  • Do not carry bags ( bring ONLY transparent file covers for your documents ) , security counter wont allow you to carry bags with you and they ask you to leave outside and leave them somewhere which will make the day messy
  • At he first security point they will request you to open your sealed medical envelops
  1. 2NL letter
  2. PP of DV winner
NOTE : PLEASE HAVE PHOTOCOPIES of all of the above original documents ( 2 copies from each originals above ).Once you are inside the application center , you will given a number ( this number is your calling number from the counters )

Second counter will check your all the originals against the documents you have submitted to KCC as PDF , make sure you have the exact same documents are with you. once the they verify the documents you will ask to sit and wait.

Finally the , Case Officer (CO) call your calling number, and will ask few questions. For us the questions were like , how old are you two ? / How long you both have been working overseas ? / Do you have any family or friends in USA ?

With a fistbumb, CO said your Visa is granted good job ! and our PP collection date is on 19th March 2020 ( I think this will be delay due to Covid-19 holidays )

5. Collect and submit the A/L collection card to US Embassy as soon as you receive the 2NL
  6. Prepare other supportive documents just in case ( for example your employment confirmation / salary letter / work experience / TAX etc) Keep them separately as stand-by
  7. If you do not understand english , please request for an interpreter ( we have seen 2 cases were struggling due to lack of english knowledge )
Thank you very much everyone who supported us during this process and wishing you all the best for all DV 2020 winners.
Congratulations

Hi Everyone,

Below is my story

• PP copies (Colour)

• PP copy ( DV winner )
  • ID copy ( DV winner )
  • Birth certificate copy
  • Fee 600 LKR

• PP copy of DV winner

• PP photo copies

1. 2NL letter
  2. PP of DV winner

Congratulations @janzz2018! Well-done!

@janzz2018 Congrats to you... I want to know one thing Could you please tell me when was your interview ? In Feb or March ? According to the visa bulleting it should be in Feb, right ? Since your case number is in 11000 s.

Hi Everyone,

Below is my story

• PP copies (Colour)

• PP copy ( DV winner )
  • ID copy ( DV winner )
  • Birth certificate copy
  • Fee 600 LKR

• PP copy of DV winner

• PP photo copies

1. 2NL letter
  2. PP of DV winner

Hellooo...Did you present DS 5540 form to the embassy ? Did they ask about that..please guide me..