• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 OC Selectees

Hey guys, been following this thread and has been incredibly resourceful for all my inquiries. My interview is scheduled for Aug 14th in Sydney, my medical examination is booked for Aug 7th at O'Connell St Medical Centre, they've been really helpful so far. Only a couple little tidbits I've been stressing about:

1. I applied for the AFP Police Check yesterday (Aug 1st). Turnaround time as stated on the website says 15 days. How long did it take for you guys to receive yours? If in worst case scenario I don't have the Police Check by the interview date, is there a chance I can submit it post-interview?
2. My birth certificate is not the 'original' but has been stamped and notarized by an official at the NSW Registry of Birth Death and Marriages as a true copy of the original that is being kept at the Registry. Will my copy be accepted by the IO or will I need to acquire the original document?

Thanks!

If it's printed by the NSW BDM, it's fine. Mine wasn't the original either. It was a copy of the original, printed by the Registry on their secure paper, signed by the Registrar. Many won't have the original issued at birth or they will get a copy printed because the copies show all name changes (which then lines up with the DS250 and the Fed Police check).

Hi everyone,

Firstly id like to thank this forum and britsimon's website for answering questions and allowing me to search answers etc. Its been such a long road so i may miss some details, but hopefully my experience will help others on their path! Happy to answer any questions anyone has too :)

The beginning May 2017-December 2017
Last year we found out that my fiancé at the time was selected in the lottery (I proposed in nov 2016) with a number in the 1000s. We had already planned to get married in September 2017 so we waited until after we were married to lodge our DS260s.
After we were married my now wife had changed her name in her passport and various other identifications and we lodged our DS260s with her new surname and our marriage certificates etc. This was in December 2017.

The middle April 2018 - June 2018
We received a letter in April confirming our interview date in early June. During this time we amassed all our school and post graduate records and required documents for the interview. Turns out I did not require the level of detailed info, as my wife was the primary applicant.
We did our medicals a month before our interview as we had already scheduled an overseas trip and were interviewing on the day after our arrival back in australia. We were advised that we should leave at least a week to 10 days to ensure our medicals were sent to the consulate in time before our interview.
Our interview went very smoothly. We supplied 2 platinum express post satchel but 1 normal express would have sufficed. We took the tracking number with us. We received only one question about our relationship, where we met. I can only assume that we have lived with each other for 10 years and stated our previous addresses on our ds260 is why they didnt question any further. The other questions were what we did for a living. Everything was in order except for one thing. My AFP certificate that had not come in the mail yet, despite having applied for it a month before (my wife's came in 4 days). We could not be further processed until the consulate received that information.

The middle part two. June 2018-July 2018
We got home after an early interview and my AFP certificate had come while we at the consulate. To our surprise there were 4 convictions on there for minor traffic offences from 2004-2009 which included driving with an expired licence and driving with an expired registration. I was never arrested etc for these offences. They were basically offences that i did not pay for and turns out went to court without me knowing. After some replies in the forum and research elsewhere looks like WA is the only state that records these offences with the AFP.
We started to freak out. I had not listed these offences in my ds260 because i did not know they existed.
I contacted an immigration lawyer and he indicated that because they were not crimes of moral turpitude then i should be fine, but there may be an issue that i did not report these.
Great.
Had I had this report during the interview i could have explained this to the immigration officer. On the AFP certificate they looked a lot worse than what they actually were. Now that it was just the certificate the consulate was looking for, I was advised to get the original transcripts from the WA police (i have lived in NSW for 8 years) and write a letter apologising for not including them in my application as i did not know i had to include them. This took some more time and turned out i had to apply in person in WA to get these. I had to sign a letter signed by a JP saying someone in WA can pick these up for me. At the same time I had applied to get these convictions spent/expunged.
I sent this off to the consulate with my AFP certificate and originals and copies of the 7 pages of court documents.

The ending. August 2018
My wife received an email that the visa application was approved. No mention of just hers, or both. A few days later we received a package with our passports and both visa pasted into our passports. We are travelling to the US in the next 3 months to 'activate' our green cards and then will be making our move in early 2019!! No doubt more questions will be incoming for our next steps.

Its been a rollercoaster of a ride and its still not over yet!

Thanks!

Ah van you stress me out leaving gathering your documents till this late! :eek:

I ordered my AFP check and received an email 24 hours later saying it was in the mail. I'm in melb and received it within 3 days of that email. I believe if you're nice you can submit it after but it must be in my the end of the month or else you risk giving up your spot.

As for the birth certificate I'm not sure, sorry.

I know, I received my interview dates in July while I was in the US on vacation and didn't see the email until I got back a couple weeks ago.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I haven't received a follow up on my AFP check yet. Perhaps I should give them a ring?

Also I half-mindedly chose Code 35 instead of Code 33 and I'm worried about that, but I've read from a couple of users here and another forum that those paper were also accepted. Fingers crossed. I really don't want to pay another $42.

If it's printed by the NSW BDM, it's fine. Mine wasn't the original either. It was a copy of the original, printed by the Registry on their secure paper, signed by the Registrar. Many won't have the original issued at birth or they will get a copy printed because the copies show all name changes (which then lines up with the DS250 and the Fed Police check).

Thanks for quelling my concerns. I had an inkling that it should be fine but I saw the words 'official' and 'original' thrown everywhere which got me a little worried. I think once I get the AFP check and print my photos I should be good to go.

Success! The interview only lasted a couple minutes and I was asked a few basic questions about my job. Glad I decided to do CP instead of AOS. Now just hoping to get my passport back before my flight back to the U.S. next week.

Can the recent interviewees let me know how many days after your interview did you receive your passport back? I know it says up to 10 business days, but my previous dealings with non-immigrate visas at the US consulate was that you got them back in 1-3 days. I'll be on a leave the country ASAP plan after my interview and trying to gauge possibilities.

I know, I received my interview dates in July while I was in the US on vacation and didn't see the email until I got back a couple weeks ago.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I haven't received a follow up on my AFP check yet. Perhaps I should give them a ring?

Also I half-mindedly chose Code 35 instead of Code 33 and I'm worried about that, but I've read from a couple of users here and another forum that those paper were also accepted. Fingers crossed. I really don't want to pay another $42.

Like I said I got an email the following day saying it was in the post. It could be taking a while if there is anything to report as mine had nothing listed (esp WA traffic offenses seem to take a while?). Mine says "Complete Disclosure. All recorded offenses released. Name Check Only." Hope that helps.

2018OC13XX - Australian primary applicant
Submitted DC260 - mid May 2018
Unlocked and resubmitted - mid June 2018
Embassy - London
Got married to a Brit (same sex) in May after getting 1NL, but before 2NL

Firstly, a huge thank you to BritSimon and all the other moderators! Your advice was invaluable.

Today we went to the embassy 45 mins early and checked in on the iPad at security. My husband's name wasn't on there, but the worker called someone and they sent us up to floor 1.

By the time we got upstairs our number was already being called. We met a person who I assume was an assistant. He asked for my passport and DC260 confirmation pages. Then gave us our chest xrays back (CDs). Then he took both of our fingerprints. He scanned our photos - these are the big 5cm x 5cm - didn't bother cutting them up.

Then he went through the checklist document by document and asked for my photocopies. These were:
- Birth certificates
- My university degree - not partners (didn't bother checking my high school certificate)
- Police certificates (both of us - for Australia and UK as I've lived in both)
- Marriage certificate (he asked if we had two photocopies as this would be useful)
- Proof that we can support ourselves (we had bank statement with £70k) - note this was never listed on any of the document checklists - so lucky I had gone to the bank and got the most recent bank statement stamped by them

He checked these off on a checklist.

He then casually asked us questions like where do we plan on living and what will we do for work. We said we weren't sure yet but maybe NYC or LA - and listed our occupations. We were told to take a seat and wait for a case officer. About 5 mins later we were called to another window where a very polite lady greeted us.

She got us to confirm our fingerprints and then typed on the computer for a few mins. She then asked if I had a university degree, which I said yes. And then where we planned on living. Do we have family that we can stay with while we get on our feet? (yes). Do we have jobs lined up? (no). Then she said - "okay we're going to issue the visas for you".

Such a relief!! After reading hours of content on your website to make sure I had everything checked off, it was finally the result we wanted to hear.

We then paid the visa fee at a separate window and the cashier gave the case officer the receipt. I wasn't given any folder or anything to take with me when we go to activate our green card, but I assume this will come with the passports. They said it will take up to 2 weeks to get them back.

Thanks again for BritSimon and everyone on the DV forum who helped. And I wish everyone else going through the process the best of luck!

Guys 1 question -
Any possibility that the near numbers not in the VB could be called in for visa interview. Has this happened ever before. Thanks

All done, had my interview this morning and was very quick and easy. In and out and approved within 30 minutes. A huge thanks to everyone here for all the support and making the process so much simpler! It would have been a lot more stressful without all your help. :D

I had my interview yesterday in Sydney and I got approved...I think. After questioning me, the consulate officer quickly (and quietly away from the microphone) said that everything looks good, something about approved, and then something about express post. He then handed me back my original docs, kept my passport and doc copies and busied himself with something else as the next person came up behind me. At the time I assumed it was all fine and that I was approved but I've just noticed today my CEAC status has changed to 'Administrative Processing'. Apparently this means they may require something else of me?

Last edited:
Hi, I had my interview yesterday in Sydney too. I know what you mean about abrupt end of the interview and the quick dismissal. I had the same experience, approved, takes 3 weeks to post passport, here are your documents but all in about 5 seconds and then the microphone turns off and you walk out with some doubts.

The Administrative Processing thing is answered on BritSimonSay's FAQ. He says it's fine and that it sometimes like that for a couple of days before going to Issued. If it's there for more than a week then something is going on behind the scenes that may cause some issues. Don't worry about it, it should change in a few days. My case still says 'Ready' but was updated today, so something's slowly happening.

But hoping I get my passport back ASAP as I'd like to fly to NZ soon and can't without my passport back. If you could do me a solid and let me know when you get your passport back that'd be great so I can gauge when I might get mine - if I haven't by then. Three weeks sounds like a number that is given out to avoid people trying to chase things up/hassle them and that it would likely be shorter... maybe.

I had my interview yesterday in Sydney and I got approved...I think. After questioning me, the consulate officer quickly (and quietly away from the microphone) said that everything looks good, something about approved, and then something about express post. He then handed me back my original docs, kept my passport and doc copies and busied himself with something else as the next person came up behind me. At the time I assumed it was all fine and that I was approved but I've just noticed today my CEAC status has changed to 'Administrative Processing'. Apparently this means they may require something else of me?

I had my interview same day also. I had the woman, I feel like she was a little less abrupt than the man, but yes the "interview" was much simpler than I imagined and latest much shorter than I thought it would. I'm didn't check my CEAC status but the following day I got an email from the consulate saying my visa had been issued, and then the following day I received my passport back in the mail (in melb)! So very quick in my case.

The only thing slightly confusing now is they gave me a yellow envelope but my visa annotation seems to indicate that I don't need to enter with the yellow envelope! I will of course take it to the border with me anyway but ah government communication - they really could be more clear.

I had my interview same day also... then the following day I received my passport back in the mail (in melb)! So very quick in my case..

I'm jealous you got your passport back so soon. Congratulations on getting everything approved and settled.

The only thing slightly confusing now is they gave me a yellow envelope but my visa annotation seems to indicate that I don't need to enter with the yellow envelope! I will of course take it to the border with me anyway but ah government communication - they really could be more clear.

What does the visa annotation say?
By the way - the visa annotation is aimed at the CBP officer, not you - so if they gave you a visa packet (I assume that’s what you mean by yellow envelope) then definitely take it - rather than safe than sorry.

Yes I received a visa packet with my passport (so much lingo to keep on top of!)

What does the visa annotation say?

My visa annotation reads: 212(g)(2)(B)

From the email received from the consulate:

Yellow Sealed Immigrant Packet
Some applicants will receive a sealed packet containing documents that you must present to U.S. Customs and Border Protection at a port-of-entry (often an airport) upon your arrival in the United States.

Annotation Information
IV Documents in CCD
-or-
IV Documents in CCD
212(g)(2)(B)

Items you will travel with

You will only enter the U.S. with the issued visa in your passport.

if they gave you a visa packet (I assume that’s what you mean by yellow envelope) then definitely take it - rather than safe than sorry.

Yes absolutely as you say better to be safe than sorry, I will take it with me to the border (along with my x-rays which the doctor said to take just in case they want them). I assume the packet just contains my medical but who knows.

Yes I received a visa packet with my passport (so much lingo to keep on top of!)

My visa annotation reads: 212(g)(2)(B)

From the email received from the consulate:

Yellow Sealed Immigrant Packet
Some applicants will receive a sealed packet containing documents that you must present to U.S. Customs and Border Protection at a port-of-entry (often an airport) upon your arrival in the United States.

Annotation Information
IV Documents in CCD
-or-
IV Documents in CCD
212(g)(2)(B)

Items you will travel with

You will only enter the U.S. with the issued visa in your passport.

Yes absolutely as you say better to be safe than sorry, I will take it with me to the border (along with my x-rays which the doctor said to take just in case they want them). I assume the packet just contains my medical but who knows.

I think you’re misinterpreting the “you will only enter the US with the issued visa in your passport” bit. It means that is the only visa you will be admitted into the US on, it does not mean you don’t need to enter the US with the yellow packet.

And the 212(g)(2)(B) annotation means your medical record shows the you did not receive some required vaccinations because your CS determined they were not medically appropriate for you. The annotation is a waiver. You definitely must submit the yellow packet on entry.

The instructions you post clearly tell you that if you get a yellow packet you must enter with it!

I think you’re misinterpreting the “you will only enter the US with the issued visa in your passport” bit.

Oh ok - yeah I wasn't totally sure what that meant. I didn't post the whole section from the email as I had trouble with the formatting. I'll post a like to the screenshot of the annotations table: https://prnt.sc/kjlzvg

The instructions you post clearly tell you that if you get a yellow packet you must enter with it!

Yes and I will regardless of the above. As you say they are clear in this section, if you receive an envelope take it!

Hi, I had my interview yesterday in Sydney too. I know what you mean about abrupt end of the interview and the quick dismissal. I had the same experience, approved, takes 3 weeks to post passport, here are your documents but all in about 5 seconds and then the microphone turns off and you walk out with some doubts.

The Administrative Processing thing is answered on BritSimonSay's FAQ. He says it's fine and that it sometimes like that for a couple of days before going to Issued. If it's there for more than a week then something is going on behind the scenes that may cause some issues. Don't worry about it, it should change in a few days. My case still says 'Ready' but was updated today, so something's slowly happening.

But hoping I get my passport back ASAP as I'd like to fly to NZ soon and can't without my passport back. If you could do me a solid and let me know when you get your passport back that'd be great so I can gauge when I might get mine - if I haven't by then. Three weeks sounds like a number that is given out to avoid people trying to chase things up/hassle them and that it would likely be shorter... maybe.

Thanks a lot for the reply! I got my passport back today :)