• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 OC Selectees

We were high value clients in Australia. We got lucky in that our HSBC guy in NYC who did our banking when we got here was also an Aussie. Definitely helped.
That certainly helps, if you can find another aussie somewhere it helps! We were looking to lease a car and turned out there was an aussie at our local ford dealer who was able to skip some steps and get us a great deal on a lease with no worries (we were on 2 year visa then, so hard to get longer term leases/loans)

Calling to Aussies re: AFP check
I got my AFP check done about a month ago (the one that cost about $100) but a friend of mine just informed me I need a fingerprint check as well?? Can anybody tell me if this is right? My interview is Aug 14 and I'm suddenly very worried because the processing times for fingerprints say about 30 days...

Thanks

I got my AFP check done about a month ago (the one that cost about $100) but a friend of mine just informed me I need a fingerprint check as well?? Can anybody tell me if this is right? My interview is Aug 14 and I'm suddenly very worried because the processing times for fingerprints say about 30 days...

Thanks
Name check is fine as long as it has all known names.

Thanks

Ah mine didn't cost $100, more like $40... ?!?!

Filling out my medical pre-questionare they are asking for my "Alien number (case number)"

Am I to presume this is my 2018OCxxxx number? I didn't think you got an alien number until the visa was issued?

And also, sorry for asking but I searched around and still am a little confused with regards to the photos.

The 2x passport photos for the interview - do they need to be US size? I thought I read this but can't seem to find it again now. The doctors specifically asked for AUS size for the medical but for the interview I'm not sure?

Regarding the police check:
  • you get it through the AFP website
  • current price is $42
  • you pick code 33 which includes spent and unspent offences
  • no need for fingerprint check so long as the check is done on all known names.

And also, sorry for asking but I searched around and still am a little confused with regards to the photos.

The 2x passport photos for the interview - do they need to be US size? I thought I read this but can't seem to find it again now. The doctors specifically asked for AUS size for the medical but for the interview I'm not sure?
I interviewed at the Sydney consulate and the requirement was 2x US-sized photos.

I listed my official name as well as my nickname on my DS-260 because my immigration lawyer in the US advised me to do so. I wasn't able to get an AFP name check for my nickname though because I've never used it in an official capacity so there's no documentation for them to verify it. Does this mean I will most likely need fingerprints as well? My interview is on Aug 14 and I don't know if I will have time to get fingerprints before then.

Thanks.

I listed my official name as well as my nickname on my DS-260 because my immigration lawyer in the US advised me to do so. I wasn't able to get an AFP name check for my nickname though because I've never used it in an official capacity so there's no documentation for them to verify it. Does this mean I will most likely need fingerprints as well? My interview is on Aug 14 and I don't know if I will have time to get fingerprints before then.

Thanks.

I didn't think fingerprints were needed at all. As long as the check is for all legal names you have had I think you should be fine. You could try explaining at the interview that the nickname was not a "legal name" you just misunderstood - not sure if that will be an issue.

My wife and I got married after I got selected (but before we submitted DS260s). Just wondering if anyone has done something similar and knows how extensive the documentation we will need to prove our relationship? I've got leases, bank statements, etc with both our names on it so I think that should probably be fine - is that likely to be enough or are they going to want to see wedding photos and stuff like that?

Also, the instructions say that for the interview you need to submit an original or certified document as well as a photocopy. I assume they just sight the original and keep the photocopy (ie. we get to keep the original copy)? And can the photocopies just be normal photocopies or do they have to be certified by a notary? Sorry for the dumb questions - I thought I'd seen that written somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find where it was.

My wife and I got married after I got selected (but before we submitted DS260s). Just wondering if anyone has done something similar and knows how extensive the documentation we will need to prove our relationship? I've got leases, bank statements, etc with both our names on it so I think that should probably be fine - is that likely to be enough or are they going to want to see wedding photos and stuff like that?

Also, the instructions say that for the interview you need to submit an original or certified document as well as a photocopy. I assume they just sight the original and keep the photocopy (ie. we get to keep the original copy)? And can the photocopies just be normal photocopies or do they have to be certified by a notary? Sorry for the dumb questions - I thought I'd seen that written somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find where it was.

The marriage proof you mention is good to show the relationship existed prior to the lottery win.

Yes they keep the copies, no they don't normally have to be certified.

Got an e-mail from the Consulate with some general info and asking for confirmation attending the appointment. E-mail includes the following in bold and red text. Shouldn't be news to anyone but I hope you remaining guys have all your ducks in a row for your interview.

The Diversity Visa Lottery Program has exhausted visa numbers for DV2018!

This means that your visa MUST be issued in the month of August.

Failure to provide all required documents or additional documents requested by the Consular officer can result in a visa NOT being issued to you. If your visa is not approved on the day of your interview you will need to ensure that the pending item(s) is received in our office in time to process a visa. You must have obtained all relevant documents to your case and have your visa issued before 31st August 2018, otherwise your visa number will be returned for reallocation.

Once the application fee has been paid you will not be able to request a refund. If you have documents that are pending and will take time to obtain you should consider whether you will receive them before the end of August 2018.

If your visa number is returned and you obtain your documents in September, you will be placed on a waitlist if any numbers become available.

Under no circumstances can a visa be issued after September 30, 2018.

I'm a week off from my interview and I got an email requesting "original transcripts to be included with your diploma." I didn't expect this because I sent in my Queensland Certificate of Education, which is awarded to students who have completed secondary school.

Unfortunately, I don't have my high school transcript on me, so I'm thinking of sending in my university transcript along with my bachelor's degree. Would this be all right? My bachelor's degree is printed in Latin because it comes from a college in the U.S. Is that a problem? Thanks!

Got an e-mail from the Consulate with some general info and asking for confirmation attending the appointment. E-mail includes the following in bold and red text. Shouldn't be news to anyone but I hope you remaining guys have all your ducks in a row for your interview.

Thanks for posing that - it confirms a part of their processes that I was 99.9% sure of (the return/reallocation at the end of the month). That has always been the process, but since we are so close to the quota, it is a useful reminder to clear these cases up within the original interview month.

Thanks for posing that - it confirms a part of their processes that I was 99.9% sure of (the return/reallocation at the end of the month). That has always been the process, but since we are so close to the quota, it is a useful reminder to clear these cases up within the original interview month.
Did the visa run out for this year?

Hey guys, been following this thread and has been incredibly resourceful for all my inquiries. My interview is scheduled for Aug 14th in Sydney, my medical examination is booked for Aug 7th at O'Connell St Medical Centre, they've been really helpful so far. Only a couple little tidbits I've been stressing about:

1. I applied for the AFP Police Check yesterday (Aug 1st). Turnaround time as stated on the website says 15 days. How long did it take for you guys to receive yours? If in worst case scenario I don't have the Police Check by the interview date, is there a chance I can submit it post-interview?
2. My birth certificate is not the 'original' but has been stamped and notarized by an official at the NSW Registry of Birth Death and Marriages as a true copy of the original that is being kept at the Registry. Will my copy be accepted by the IO or will I need to acquire the original document?

Thanks!

Yes I received the same email! I called the US Consulate Office that same morning asking for more info on what document I needed to bring and the agent I was speaking had this stand-offish attitude saying that I should've received an email notifying me of the upcoming interview and how to prepare. I told her I never received such email and she kind of just dismissed it saying there was nothing she could do and would escalate this 'issue' to the higher up.

Few hours later I get that email. Lol.

Hey guys, been following this thread and has been incredibly resourceful for all my inquiries. My interview is scheduled for Aug 14th in Sydney, my medical examination is booked for Aug 7th at O'Connell St Medical Centre, they've been really helpful so far. Only a couple little tidbits I've been stressing about:

1. I applied for the AFP Police Check yesterday (Aug 1st). Turnaround time as stated on the website says 15 days. How long did it take for you guys to receive yours? If in worst case scenario I don't have the Police Check by the interview date, is there a chance I can submit it post-interview?
2. My birth certificate is not the 'original' but has been stamped and notarized by an official at the NSW Registry of Birth Death and Marriages as a true copy of the original that is being kept at the Registry. Will my copy be accepted by the IO or will I need to acquire the original document?

Thanks!

Ah van you stress me out leaving gathering your documents till this late! :eek:

I ordered my AFP check and received an email 24 hours later saying it was in the mail. I'm in melb and received it within 3 days of that email. I believe if you're nice you can submit it after but it must be in my the end of the month or else you risk giving up your spot.

As for the birth certificate I'm not sure, sorry.