• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 OC Selectees

NO one was harsh in their response.

Your OC number is a result of you selecting an OC country as a country of chargeability. You did that. Not KCC.

If you were married to a Australian at the time of entry, you would be able to continue. Other than that - refusal is certain.

Thank you ALL. My apology I read the response wrong. You are correct it is my fault.
Abrasive? You think I derive some sort of perverse pleasure in other people’s pain or misfortune? Well I certainly don’t sugarcoat things, but maybe you equally need to not lash out in anger either as a result of your disappointment.

By the way, passport number was never required during the eDV registration, so that is not where your error in judgment came from. It came from your failure to read and follow the instructions like I pointed out before. And KCC wasn’t ‘confused’ by the way you entered your information. They basically went by your claim of OC as your chargeability region, which would have been acceptable if you were married to someone from the OC region for instance despite Zim being your country of birth.

Like I said above my apologies I read your response wrong. I am sorry I offended you that was not my intention at all. Again I apologise

Thanks for letting me know albeit in a harsh manner. No need to be abrasive I am already feeling depressed about my crushed dreams. I guess I confused KCC since I applied as a Zimbabwean. I put Zimbabwe as Country/region of birth as well as Region of Origin but I also put Australia both as Country/Region of Origin. Since I didn't have a passport # for my Zimbabwe entry and I needed to put one in so I entered Australia first.
I don’t understand how you could put both Zimbabwe and Australia?

Were you married to an Australia at the time of entry?

I don’t understand how you could put both Zimbabwe and Australia?

Were you married to an Australia at the time of entry?

I am a class A idiot. Basically in Country/Region of Birth I wrote Zimbabwe. Then in the section of Country/Region of Origin (Nationality) I put in Australia as I have citizenship and have had it for 25 years so I consider myself Australian due to that. There is another question which says "Do you hold or have held any nationality other than the one you have indicated above" to which I wrote Zimbabwe. Hence why I mentioned I wrote both

I am a class A idiot. Basically in Country/Region of Birth I wrote Zimbabwe. Then in the section of Country/Region of Origin (Nationality) I put in Australia as I have citizenship and have had it for 25 years so I consider myself Australian due to that. There is another question which says "Do you hold or have held any nationality other than the one you have indicated above" to which I wrote Zimbabwe. Hence why I mentioned I wrote both

Unfortunately it seems you didn’t read the instructions along with filling in the form? See page 3, number 6 is very clear about what should be filled in for country of eligibility, and that it is birth and not current residence or nationality. And it’s clear it is you choosing the country of eligibility in this question, not that it gets deduced from anything else you answer.
https://travel.state.gov/content/da...Translations/DV-2019-Instructions-English.pdf

Last edited:
I assume you’re not married to an Australian

That would also depend how sticky the CO is, because (1) the rules imply you can only use this if uour own country is not eligible (though I know this has been fudged in the past) and (2) if you use another country than where you were born you are supposed to explain why in the eDV form. See the same reference as in my post above, and the FAQ it links to.

That would also depend how sticky the CO is, because (1) the rules imply you can only use this if uour own country is not eligible (though I know this has been fudged in the past) and (2) if you use another country than where you were born you are supposed to explain why in the eDV form. See the same reference as in my post above, and the FAQ it links to.

Serves me right for not reading it. I was so excited having tried applying for years and never making it that I didn't exercise due diligence when I finally got chosen. From reading it now I can see where I went wrong and how I completely messed up. Thanks guys for your input saves me a trip

Point 1 was clarified in the 9 FAM guidance a couple of years back - so "elective" cross charging (both countries being eligible) is OK now. The 9 FAM notes now read:

"(d) A principal registrant born in a country that is among those for which DVs are available may derive a more favorable foreign state of chargeability from an accompanying alien spouse. For example, a principal applicant from a DV eligible country from a high-admission region may claim a more favorable chargeability from a spouse, who is from a DV eligible country from a low-admission region, provided the relationship was established prior to submitting the DV entry. In such instances, however, both applicants are considered principal applicants for the purpose of cross-chargeability and must be issued visas and apply for admission to the United States simultaneously."

Point 2 is valid, although I have never heard a refusal because someone failed to do that.

Point 1 was clarified in the 9 FAM guidance a couple of years back - so "elective" cross charging (both countries being eligible) is OK now. The 9 FAM notes now read:

"(d) A principal registrant born in a country that is among those for which DVs are available may derive a more favorable foreign state of chargeability from an accompanying alien spouse. For example, a principal applicant from a DV eligible country from a high-admission region may claim a more favorable chargeability from a spouse, who is from a DV eligible country from a low-admission region, provided the relationship was established prior to submitting the DV entry. In such instances, however, both applicants are considered principal applicants for the purpose of cross-chargeability and must be issued visas and apply for admission to the United States simultaneously."

Point 2 is valid, although I have never heard a refusal because someone failed to do that.

Moot in this case though.

Just booked my medical.. going to be $580 !! I mean seriously!?! I know when I'm being fleeced... talk about gravy train for the doctor!

I guess they are just preparing us for US healthcare system lol

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to negotiate receiving my green card in the mail. I've booked an airbnb in New York for the first month of my stay in the USA, after which I plan to go to Texas and settle there. I plan to use the pick-up from a local post office option for delivery with USPS. Shall I just give USCIS a Texan address instead of the New York one? I've read that it takes 2-3 weeks for the green card to be sent out. I wouldn't want it stuck at a New York post office if I'm going to be in Texas after one month in the country. What should I do?

Also, is it possible to apply for an ACA health insurance plan before I arrive, or can I only do that once I'm in the country?

Had interview this morning in Sydney, everything pretty smooth and was quiet in the consulate. Ended up in AP (officer said all approved apart from that) as they couldn't find our medical which would have been expressed to them over a week ago...so thats not good for our return flight next Tuesday :(

A note to any future interviewees, don't take a laptop, they dont allow them in and they wont store them for you...some poor young guy had to leave and go find a locker at a local gym.

Good luck to all future interviewees!

I had my interview this morning and was approved! All ran smooth, thanks to @Britsimon and all the people on this blog. I had zero hiccups thanks to your gracious guidance. For those who are awaiting their interview best of luck!

I went through security and left my phone in a locker there on the 9th floor. Gave my documents to a woman who checked they were all in order. She asked me to fill out the express post envelope (in the wrong section... so I filled it out) and then as she opened my medical she tore the top corner with the envelope opener and I cringed as I heard.

Anyway I took my documents up to the 10th floor and my number was immediately called so I went to the window to give my documents over. The woman got me to refill out the envelope and said the lady downstairs is telling people the wrong info, she then asked if I tore my medical but I said no it was sealed when I arrived and the lady downstairs tore it when she opened it. It was all fine and I went to another counter and paid the fee in cash. I Went back to the first window and gave the receipts to the woman and took a seat.

After about 20 minutes I got called for the interview and was asked
- what’s my highest level of education?
- what work will I do in the US?
- have I lived anywhere except the US for longer than 6 months?
- where will I live in the US?
- am I married? And do I have any kids?
Then I was told those sweet sweet words! Congratulations you have been approved and your visa will arrive in 8-10 days in the post.

Again thank you team! Good luck OC’s!!!

Had interview this morning in Sydney, everything pretty smooth and was quiet in the consulate. Ended up in AP (officer said all approved apart from that) as they couldn't find our medical which would have been expressed to them over a week ago...so thats not good for our return flight next Tuesday :(

A note to any future interviewees, don't take a laptop, they dont allow them in and they wont store them for you...some poor young guy had to leave and go find a locker at a local gym.

Good luck to all future interviewees!

Hoping all things arrive shortly and it’s all approved for you! Just out of interest where did you have your medical done?

Hoping all things arrive shortly and it’s all approved for you! Just out of interest where did you have your medical done?
Thanks, should be fine! And congrats on your approval too!

We went to OCNL ST, we have received our copy locally and confirmed that they posted the express post satchel last Tuesday, so it is probably just sitting in the consulate.

Did you go to the one on George St? Do they give you the sealed packet to bring yourself? We really should have done that given our short turn around (we currently live in the US already so had to fly back for this)

Thanks, should be fine! And congrats on your approval too!

We went to OCNL ST, we have received our copy locally and confirmed that they posted the express post satchel last Tuesday, so it is probably just sitting in the consulate.

Did you go to the one on George St? Do they give you the sealed packet to bring yourself? We really should have done that given our short turn around (we currently live in the US already so had to fly back for this)

Thank you!

Oh okay... no I went to sonic plus in Melbourne for mine and brought the sealed medical along with me.

Fingers and toes crossed for ya!