• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2018 AOS Only

Hi Mom, so I went to infopass appointment today. The officer said that my case is pending review and that they have requested information from my country of birth, Iran which they have not received. I explained that inquiry from Iran won't go anywhere since the two countries don't have diplomatic relationship, and that the diversity Visa has time limitation, but she was keep repeating that I have to wait. She was very vague in her answers, so I came out feeling I easted
She mentioned that my file has transferred from KCC. But that was about it. Any idea how to proceed?

Hi Mom, so I went to infopass appointment today. The officer said that my case is pending review and that they have requested information from my country of birth, Iran which they have not received. I explained that inquiry from Iran won't go anywhere since the two countries don't have diplomatic relationship, and that the diversity Visa has time limitation, but she was keep repeating that I have to wait. She was very vague in her answers, so I came out feeling I easted
She mentioned that my file has transferred from KCC. But that was about it. Any idea how to proceed?

It’s basically a waiting game for you now. This is the prolonged AP I told you last year to be prepared for. Yes, USCIS is aware of the none diplomatic relationship between the US and Iran, they are still required nonetheless to complete comprehensive background checks on Iranians, which can take months to complete. All you can do now is to remain patient (yeah I know, easier said than done) and follow up wi5 your FO on a monthly basis. This is what other Iranian selectees before you had to go through.

Hi all,
Here is our Interview Experience:
We got our Interview date scheduled Last Week for7:30 am and 9:30 am respectively. We got there by 7:15 am and we were called by a Lady Officer around 7:25 am.we both were interviewed together after taking an Oath. First she asked for our Driver Licence and Passport and then she took our picture and our index finger fingerprints. She went through all the "YES" and "NO" questions from the form itself and She asked the originals of Birth & Marriage certificate ONLY. After reviewing the original and copies of Birth certificate and Marriage certificate, we were told your case is approved and she need to check for the visa availability. Also, she mentioned that we should receive our Card within 2 weeks in mail. The whole process went very smooth and straight forward and just lasted like 10-15 minutes.
It's been a hell of Journey going through this process. It would not have been possible without the great support and inspiration from all the individuals involved in this thread. The greatest lesson learned from this whole process is to have and keep "GREAT PATIENCE" and "NOT TO OVERTHINK OF ANY STUPID QUESTIONS THAT COMES IN OUR MIND".

A very warm and special THANKS to "MOM" who has created this platform to help people like us. It would not have been possible without your guidance and your precious spreadsheet.
THANK YOU AGAIN & GOD BLESS YOU :)

Field Office: Memphis TN
CURRENT STATUS: TPS (WAS ON F1 STATUS BEFORE)
PACKAGE SENT: 08/31/2017
NOA RECEIVED: 09/15/2017
BIO SCHEDULED: 10/04/2017
1ST INFOPASS: 12/20/2017 (Found out Background check was cleared and Field office waiting on to receive my File from KCC)
CASE EXPEDITE REQUESTED: 02/05/2018
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 03/21/2018
APPROVAL & CPO DATE: 03/21/2018
GC RECEIVED : 03/29/2018
GOOD LUCK FOR ALL!!

Thank you Mom for your advise. I appreciate it.
It’s basically a waiting game for you now. This is the prolonged AP I told you last year to be prepared for. Yes, USCIS is aware of the none diplomatic relationship between the US and Iran, they are still required nonetheless to complete comprehensive background checks on Iranians, which can take months to complete. All you can do now is to remain patient (yeah I know, easier said than done) and follow up wi5 your FO on a monthly basis. This is what other Iranian selectees before you had to go through.
thank you Mom. I am patient; the GC does not affect my life immediately and this is a lottery after all. Thank you for your guidance.

I am from Iran too. I think it causes me to over think about it. Do not worry too much. It has not been a problem for only this year. Both countries have not had a good relationship over last 40 years. So it is not new. Just be patient :)

Hi and thank you for this educative forum.
I was selected for DV lottery 2018 and am in the US. I applied for asylum in 2015 when I was in status but this expired later after 6 months after my entry. I was asylum pending when I was selected for DV lottery in May 2017 and I indicated to KCC my intent to AOS. I later received the 2NL and filled DS 260.
In February I had an asylum interview with USCIS and my case was referred to an Immigration Court as the USCIS Asylum Officer did not grant me asylum. My case number will likely become current in July as it is AF33***

1. With my case having been referred to an immigration court, can I still pursue the DV lottery 2018?
2. In case I can, do I pursue it with the immigration court or USCIS?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi and thank you for this educative forum.
I was selected for DV lottery 2018 and am in the US. I applied for asylum in 2015 when I was in status but this expired later after 6 months after my entry. I was asylum pending when I was selected for DV lottery in May 2017 and I indicated to KCC my intent to AOS. I later received the 2NL and filled DS 260.
In February I had an asylum interview with USCIS and my case was referred to an Immigration Court as the USCIS Asylum Officer did not grant me asylum. My case number will likely become current in July as it is AF33***

1. With my case having been referred to an immigration court, can I still pursue the DV lottery 2018?
2. In case I can, do I pursue it with the immigration court or USCIS?
Thank you.

1. I honestly don’t know what status you’re now considered as. However considering the fact that your court appearance isn’t likely to be anytime soon, I wouldn’t discourage you from pursuing your DV selection. I think the investment is worth it (if your concern is about the amount you will loose if you’re eventually found ineligible for AOS) - you wouldn’t know unless you try.

2. USCIS.

1. I honestly don’t know what status you’re now considered as. However considering the fact that your court appearance isn’t likely to be anytime soon, I wouldn’t discourage you from pursuing your DV selection. I think the investment is worth it (if your concern is about the amount you will loose if you’re eventually found ineligible for AOS) - you wouldn’t know unless you try.

2. USCIS.

Can I contact USCIS by booking an info pass, before my number is current to Confirm whether am eligible for AOS?

Can I contact USCIS by booking an info pass, before my number is current to Confirm whether am eligible for AOS?

Of course you can. As long as you’re aware there’s a slight chance of whoever it is you end up speaking with giving you some wrong information

I just received my approval notice in mail from USCIS. They approved it without an interview. Thanks mom for all the help. This forum has been the best resource navigating the process.

That’s great! Congratulations!!! When did you send in your medical exam results?

1. Provide copies of all I-797 you’ve been issued with as evidence of continuously maintaining a lawful status since your arrival in the US.

2. Yes it is standard.

Use of Form I-134, Affidavit of Support:

(a) (U) Because INA 212(a)(4)(C) and INA 213A require the use of Form I-864 for so many classes of immigrants, the use of Form I-134, has been reduced considerably. Nevertheless, there still are circumstances when Form I-134 may be beneficial. This affidavit, submitted by the applicant at your request, is not legally binding on the sponsor and should not be accorded the same weight as Form I-864. Form I-134 should be given consideration as one form of evidence, however, in conjunction with the other forms of evidence mentioned below.

(b) (U) If any of the following applicants need an Affidavit of Support to meet the public charge requirement, they must use Form I-134, as they are not authorized to use Form I-864:

(i) (U) Returning resident applicants (SBs);

(ii) (U) Diversity visa applicants (DVs); and

(iii) (U) Fiancé(e)s (K-1s or K-3s).
https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_C_9_

My sponsor is willing to sign form I-864 as well. Wouldn't that be better to satisfy the officer since it's legally binding?

Also, were there any changes recently for prospective immigrants who get any benefits through the healthcare law or is everything the same?

My sponsor is willing to sign form I-864 as well. Wouldn't that be better to satisfy the officer since it's legally binding?

Also, were there any changes recently for prospective immigrants who get any benefits through the healthcare law or is everything the same?

1. Did you bother to actually read my previous response which incidentally you quoted in your last post? Did you not see the section now in bold and underlined???
(b) (U) If any of the following applicants need an Affidavit of Support to meet the public charge requirement, they must use Form I-134, as they are not authorized to use Form I-864

I find it interesting that your sponsor who is unwilling to provide you with their W-2 is actually willing to fill out an I-864 which is a lot more intrusive and requires more evidence. You obviously enjoy overthinking and over analyzing stuff, especially when the information you’re getting is free. I highly doubt you will be second guessing if this information was being provided by some attorney you’re paying by the hour, even if the information they’re providing you with turns out to be inaccurate. Anyway, for the record, I’m done answering any more questions from you regarding public charge.

2. https://forums.immigration.com/threads/new-definition-of-public-charge-proposed.337353/

1. Did you bother to actually read my previous response which incidentally you quoted in your last post? Did you not see the section now in bold and underlined???
(b) (U) If any of the following applicants need an Affidavit of Support to meet the public charge requirement, they must use Form I-134, as they are not authorized to use Form I-864

I find it interesting that your sponsor who is unwilling to provide you with their W-2 is actually willing to fill out an I-864 which is a lot more intrusive and requires more evidence. You obviously enjoy overthinking and over analyzing stuff, especially when the information you’re getting is free. I highly doubt you will be second guessing if this information was being provided by some attorney you’re paying by the hour, even if the information they’re providing you with turns out to be inaccurate. Anyway, for the record, I’m done answering any more questions from you regarding public charge.

2. https://forums.immigration.com/threads/new-definition-of-public-charge-proposed.337353/

If I file the coming days, would this new definition apply to me?

I would appreciate some help in filling out form I-134. Sorry for my previous awkward questions. For question 38, if the sponsor selects "he intends to make specific contributions", what contributions are expected?
Thank you.

Yes, it is actually just called an expedite request. My lawyer thinks I meet the emergency criteria given that my actual work permit is going to expire soon.

Yes, it is actually just called an expedite request. My lawyer thinks I meet the emergency criteria given that my actual work permit is going to expire soon.

I know what an expedite request is :rolleyes:. In your previous post you stated you called the LA FO, spoke with someone and they promised someone would be calling you back. So I requested you share the number you used in communicating directly with the FO.

Your lawyer by the way doesn’t seem quite knowledgeable regarding this process though IMO. USCIS provided an avenue for people in situations such as yours by making it possible to apply for an EAD with their I-485 petition. A soon to expire status is no ground for expedited AOS approval. If you applied for an EAD card and this is still pending, you certainly will qualify for an expedited EAD approval. So did you include form I-765 in your AOS package?

I am currently an F1 student at the US and I was planning to AOS but decided to CP because of the slow pace of Europe this year. I have just now filled and submitted Ds-260. Although I changed the interview location to my country while filling the form, I realized interview location is listed as USCIS in the confirmation e-mail. Also the e-mail tells me to book an appointment with my Field Office. Did I do something wrong? I am attaching a screenshot of instructions in the attachment.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 4.57.33 PM.png